• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...Goddamn Spyro Circuit is a boring track. I missed the Spyro Grand Prix so this is my first exposure to it.

There's no interesting shortcuts or turns or tricks. Not even any offroad.

Nina's Nightmare seems pretty good though. Only one blue fire pad again, but it's mitigated due to being a rather tricky blue fire to hold. Fence jump is fun and easy.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I like the change, but I still have questions how this works. Does online still have 5x? I assume but it doesn't say. And does offline/online use the same allotment of Wumpa time or are there separate pools?

Yeah, this is somewhat concerning, presuming you can't opt out of offline WT. If I want to maximize payouts I'd have to jump straight into online play.

Oct 27, 2017
PEOPLE

EF4ptxYWkAEorBH

Wow, Nina's new model looks really good!

It basically feels like Beanox found a great middle ground between her original design and her Titans-era redesign (one of the few good things to come from that BS...).
Can't wait to race with her!

Oh, and I'm very happy to see Moe and Brio finally get in, but man...it seems like the VO for the latter isn't Maurice Lamarche this time around which is definitely a bummer :/

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The new track is full of Twinsanity fanservice, holy shit this is neat. Hope we get more from that game.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
What do the new little symbols next to names on the Online screen mean? Looks like a medal, and an ice skate?

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
This is a high tier update. Content wise it was already looking great but engine swap actually tripled my hype for playing this season.

Yeah, this is somewhat concerning, presuming you can't opt out of offline WT. If I want to maximize payouts I'd have to jump straight into online play.
They adjusted the blog post to indicate it's the weekend bonus that carries over to singleplayer, not the wumpa time.

2x Wumpa Weekend for Everyone:

Also due to popular demand, the 2x Wumpa Weekend bonus will now carry over to all game modes, including Adventure and Local Arcade! As long as the player's console is connected to the internet, players now have the opportunity to earn 2x Wumpa Coins when they race or battle during the weekend, starting at 1:00 PM PDT on Fridays and ending at 1AM PDT on Mondays.

https://blog.activision.com/crash-b...ix-has-come-to-Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Can you progress Grand Prix without doing challenges? Just racing online constantly?
Theoretically you can completely ignore the challenges, just earn coins from racing online and spend the coins on filling up the nitro bar after the GP ends.

I'd say the most optimal way to tackle a GP with minimal effort spend on the challenges is to grab whatever character + new skin + new kart bundle is up on day 1 to get a 50% nitro boost setup, then use that setup the first day(s) to tackle as many Pro and Themed challenges as you can manage. Then when you optimized those challenges or only have crappy/grindy/impossible ones left you'll probably already got your nitro bar up into silver tier in the first 2 days. Then you can just ignore the challenges for the rest of the month really, maybe occasionally look if there's something easy to do in the weeklies or dailies as many of them can be done in online races. I'd recommend always putting on a +50% setup for at least your first online race of the day as there's always a couple of challenges that trigger on your first race.

But again, if you got the coins there's really nothing to worry about. Just fill that bar with coins when it ends. But last GP I only put in the effort to do most Pro and Themed challenges, then mostly only played online on the weekends and I still easily made it to a full bar just by keeping an eye on some of the challenges that were doable online and wearing the +50% stuff whenever the bigger payout challenges were being completed. So I'd say it's relatively low effort to keep up with the GP.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Nina's track is a lot better than Spyro's! Here's my first Oxide run. Got tripped up by the 3rd lap obstacles and ultimately lost fire with a few seconds to go, but still decent enough to post. Also, still getting used to Coco using Speed class lol.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nina's track is a lot better than Spyro's! Here's my first Oxide run. Got tripped up by the 3rd lap obstacles and ultimately lost fire with a few seconds to go, but still decent enough to post. Also, still getting used to Coco using Speed class lol.

I really need to take the next step and learn to keep Blue Fire going.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The customization screen now has catagory filters for characters, wheels and paint jobs. Small QOL touch.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Weird. Pitstock is stocked with literally everything from this GP minus the Nitro Point exclusive stuff. Blew over 70k, but I got everything day 1.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
There is no way they intentionally configured the Pit Stop like this but i bought out every bundle I could, at least the big ticket items from the GP are already mine

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, you can just buy every item available in the GP right now. Spend about 72k coins to grab everything minus stickers. Nice QoL change, limiting items to certain days was very unnecessary.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I didn't see new Grand Prix started.. I'm confused

It hasn't officially started, but they scheduled this weirdly. Yesterday's update added the new content (all locked except for the new track). Today's Pit Stop cycle added all the new purchasable customizations. Tomorrow is when the GP actually starts, the challenges open up, and you can begin to make progress on the Nitro Gauge, Leaderboards, etc.

The customization screen now has catagory filters for characters, wheels and paint jobs. Small QOL touch.

Those were actually added in a previous update, but yeah, nice touch for how long these lists are getting. I wish they'd speed up the scroll a tad when you're jumping from the top to the bottom though.

An interesting change that did come with this update is that the characters are now sorted by game (CTR, CNK, and Bonus) instead of driving style... for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Firehawk has been added into the game now, it's a Limited Time kart that's sold on the PSN Store/Microsoft Store/Nintendo E-Shop for $5/£4, all proceeds going to the Call of Duty Endowment charity.

Here's some gameplay I caught using it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So the damn Passive Rider challenge is back in dailies (dunno if they've increased the appearance rate of the Track of the Day in matchmaking), but the quick challenges now reward double the Nitro that they did in past GPs. I can dig it.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
Did they give out the awards to top 5? I don't see the Spyro and friends wrap and I'm pretty sure I was top 5. :/

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! This sucks. I'm looking forward to this decal the most.

Side note: Time trial challenges seem broken. I just beat a N Trophy ghost in time trial and didn't get the quick or daily nitro. Boo.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Side note: Time trial challenges seem broken. I just beat a N Trophy ghost in time trial and didn't get the quick or daily nitro. Boo.

It's not just the time trials, i am randomly not getting any nitro neither from challenges or races and progress on uncompleted challenges is not being tallied up.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no challenges popping for me either currently, seems like their server tracking challenges is messed up right now.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

here's a new Oxide run on Tiny Temple using Dark Coco and the Firehawk. Music is from Sky Shark (NES).

I'm slowly getting over both the hurdles of using Speed class and a kart with no visible wheels lol. The Firehawk is seriously the coolest thing ever. I would pay another 5 for a tank. Still holding out for the Warped motorcycle.

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So many of the challenges are not popping. Ugh, can they increase the grand prix for longer at this point

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So is there a breakdown as to the different driving styles? Like, I'm not sure what style corresponds with the what the characters had before.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
So is there a breakdown as to the different driving styles? Like, I'm not sure what style corresponds with the what the characters had before.
from the Activision blog:

Swapping Driving Styles:

We've heard you loud and clear! In CTR Nitro-Fueled, it is now possible to select your desired Driving Style, regardless of the character you choose to race with. Get that top speed with Crash, or take those sharp turns with Crunch, you can now pick your favorite style and your favorite racer at the same time!

On top of that, a new "Drift" driving style has been added to the mix, making that a fifth driving style to choose from!

Finally, the existing Driving Styles have been renamed to more clearly describe their function:

- Beginner is now Turn

- Intermediate A is now Balanced

- Intermediate B is now Acceleration

- Advanced is now Speed

These Driving Styles will be able to be selected at the same time you are selecting your racer before each race. A sixth Driving Style option, ''Classic'', will select your character's original Driving Style by default.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been out of CTR for some time. Would they ever rerelease the grand Prix characters later? And did the switch version get any improvement with the loadtimes?

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been out of CTR for some time. Would they ever rerelease the grand Prix characters later? And did the switch version get any improvement with the loadtimes?
They will appear again 3 GP's later. We're now in the 4th GP and the items from the 1st GP are reappearing in the shop now.

... Do we know what Drift style actually is?
Horrible apparently. I think the idea behind it is that you go extra slow when not drifting but extra fast when you are, but it seems that the stats on it are so bad that it can't compete with accel or speed in any case. I haven't personally experimented a lot with it as it didn't feel great to me from the start, but that's what I read around.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Anyone having issues with not getting Nitro Points for completing challenges? Have won several races and beat Roo's Tubes quickly but it's not giving me anything.

Brouzouffe

Dec 23, 2018
Is this normal that I don't have seasonal content in the shop except for the Set at the left ?
For karts and legendary skins I just see base content... I really hope Seasonal content doesn't roll randomly with the base content, because it means there is a chance for it to don't even appear in the shop...

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with not getting Nitro Points for completing challenges? Have won several races and beat Roo's Tubes quickly but it's not giving me anything.
It's been broken since around last shop rotation. Was completing my challenges just fine, shop rotation happens, suddenly no challenge completes or tracks anymore, not even the basic points you get for just completing any race. Looks like everyone is unable to earn nitro points right now, we'll have to wait till Beenox hotfixes their servers or something.
Is this normal that I don't have seasonal content in the shop except for the Set at the left ?
For karts and legendary skins I just see base content... I really hope Seasonal content doesn't roll randomly with the base content, because it means there is a chance for it to don't even appear in the shop...
It does seem that the seasonal items have been mixed in with the regular items, which was great for us that had the entire pitstop already and now have all these items as well, but very bad for those who don't. Hopefully Beenox will address this with a patch or hotfix but for now you'll just have to hope to be lucky.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Thanks!

... Do we know what Drift style actually is?

Slow, not great at sharp turns (but can drift in a shallow curve, like speed), but if you do three perfect boosts in a single drift you get turbo fire. So maybe worth using on tracks with very few turbo pads.

It's a gimmick class, and the stat bars--much like the stats for most of the other classes--aren't accurate.