• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thought this was interesting and I've never had ps+ this year so I never played online.

ps42019.png

Whats this from?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Settle down peasants.
y8QTbgc.png

Yeah a good portion of that time is probably Lab Basement idling. But I've made the top 5% each GP for the decal so there is a lot from that work as well.

Similarly why Injustice is up there, lotta AI Multiverse idling

Concerningly, Monster Hunter World is NOT from idling...

Guess Rustlands roadmap will be up soon? It was a tuesday last time and it's commonly been tuesday or wednesday for the past GPs.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
jfc

I had maybe that amount of time in Rocket League after like 3+ years not within 1 year...

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20200114-120757.jpg

I didn't get PS+ until the end of November so all but 8 of those hours were offline (and probably less than 30 hours idling)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rustlands content revealed:

EOSZxo1VAAAqzYl.jpg:large

OG 8 all getting Rustland Skins, with Megamix (Final boss of Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure on Game Boy Advance) as the character in the pass alongside a Nina skin as well.

Edit: GP Trailer -

Also shows a Chick Rustlands skin. There appear to be new masks as well?

Basically it's Mad Max Fury Road - The GP.

Double Edit: Rusty the Walrus cameo in a fun Twinsanity reference.
EOVZm7yX4AMB0N7.jpg

And apparantly Crash will be holding his Game Awards trophy for best sports/racing game on the title screen for this season as well.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far as style goes, this is the most interesting GP to me in a while. Love the Mad Max-like stuff.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks very cool.

I watched a run through of the track too and it looks good.

Beenox are doing a good job on the new tracks, I think that they're all the right length for the game. My only issue with them is that some of them still have very few USF pads, which leads to some unavoidable snowballing when played online. With things like Gingerbread Joyride, you have that one pad and then the whole race is about keeping USF. Drop USF and you lose a lot of time, plus the second shortcut is much harder so you potentially lose a lot more time.

Oct 27, 2017
Wish Ripper Roo got a skin. Picturing that mask/muzzle they had Max in while tied to the front of the car in Fury Road.

Speaking of: What are your "go to" setups? Pics if possible. I kind of wish we could set presets as I like making thematic setups. But that takes away the charm of going through the selections maybe.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rustland Pura looks amazing. Looks like I know who I'll be maining for this GP. A bit weird that Ripper Roo isn;t getting a skin since it loks liek part of Megamix Mania is a post apocalyptic Roo's Tubes.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Gin's Battleship from Twinsanity crashed into Roo's Tube laying in the Junkyard from Crash Mind Over Mutant is the kind of shit I lik eto see. That's the real mega mix.

But also Megamix himself/themselves looks pretty good now, so that's cool too

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Update is available in Aus. New track is a lot of fun, I love how much variety they've packed into it in terms of terrain; some sweeping curves, some tight, boxy areas, some sections with lots of obstacles to weave in and out of, lots of jumps both big and small. Not to mention how pretty the whole thing is.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Update is available in Aus. New track is a lot of fun, I love how much variety they've packed into it in terms of terrain; some sweeping curves, some tight, boxy areas, some sections with lots of obstacles to weave in and out of, lots of jumps both big and small. Not to mention how pretty the whole thing is.
What other track is comparable in size and complexity? Prehistoric Playground you think?
This track probably has the 3rd highest jump edge (behind Electron Avenue and Hyper Spaceway).

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What other track is comparable in size and complexity? Prehistoric Playground you think?
This track probably has the 3rd highest jump edge (behind Electron Avenue and Hyper Spaceway).

Prehistoric Playground feels like the closest for sure. Some of the Nitro Kart tracks might be technically bigger, but this one feels more varied any interesting than any of those.

The big jump certainly feels a lot smaller than those two to me, but I'm sure the expert players will put the boost to good use.

EDIT: Also, the new logo screen is fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
My first GP change-over. Wooo.

The video seems like "we didn't bring in the VAs for Chick n' Stew" and felt boring and unofficial as a result.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wonder if they have plans for legitimate DLC (free or paid) other than the Grand Prix stuff?

For example, I could see a free update that gives us the Adventure Mode (hub + story) from Crash Nitro Kart, since all of the tracks are already there. (Perhaps the anti-gravity aspects of the CNR tracks could be put back into the game just for Adventure Mode as well.)

And perhaps a paid DLC that has all of the tracks along with the Adventure Mode from Crash Tag Team Racing. I mean, I'd want that to be free too but those tracks aren't even in the game.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm watching a longplay of Tag Team Racing, which I don't think I ever played, and the hub has Crash actually walking around a hub instead of driving. It's been like 10 minutes and the person hasn't started a race yet. And there's a shooting mini-game.

what

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
They definitely scaled back the work they put into this GP, probably due to the holiday and maybe people being moved to other projects. No Chick & Stew animations for the video. One new character whose recolors are all pretty simplistic and who themselves is put together from a lot of existing models. Even the track uses some existing assets from other tracks, albeit to great effect. The new wheels are much more uniform than those of the last two GPs. The new feature is an altered version of the ghost hunt. Etc. etc.

I get it, although datamines have me worried that this may be the standard going forward. We really have been spoiled.

Anyway, I like the new track except for the part where it splits into three sections. Even without items, it's just so cluttered with obstacles. I bump something 3/5 times. Also, the payout is--like with the other GP tracks--pretty ass. 48 for a difficult track that you can barely clear in 2:17. Out of Time, Hyper Spaceway, etc. reward so much more, and can be completed more quickly without as much difficulty.

I'm watching a longplay of Tag Team Racing, which I don't think I ever played, and the hub has Crash actually walking around a hub instead of driving. It's been like 10 minutes and the person hasn't started a race yet. And there's a shooting mini-game.

what

Tag Team Racing wanted to be too many things, and wound up mediocre at all. There's a bit of dumb fun there, but even having played it at the right age, I don't have particularly fond memories of the game.

Oh and,

And perhaps a paid DLC that has all of the tracks along with the Adventure Mode from Crash Tag Team Racing. I mean, I'd want that to be free too but those tracks aren't even in the game.

The tracks from TTR are generally really really boring. The game is more of a combat racer than a kart racer or racer racer, so it's a lot of open space, simple turns, obvious shortcuts, and restricted jump pads. They took a bit of inspiration from two of the games themes for the first two GP tracks, which I think was the best move. Trying to rework all of those tracks into being fun by CTR standards would be a mammoth effort, and they'd probably still mostly end up like a bunch of Inferno Islands. The theme diversity isn't outstanding either, so it's probably best that they put their effort into new tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm wondering what I do wrong.

I play with classic controls (x to go, r1/l1 drift). I tend to double tap a shoulder button to trigger drift then do my thing. But when it comes to trying to hit short cuts off the side of jumps, I get hung up on whether I should be holding a jump button, pressing both to jump and doing the air brake. Do I only need 1 shoulder button to jump? Does holding it make a higher jump? Do I need to hold it while air braking?

I feel like if I can fine tune this, I'd be more willing to try the ghosts.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
You only hit jump once at the edge of the ramp. In the air all you need is brake+left/right for the brake turn or brake+downleft/downright for the U-turn. For U-turns make sure you hold the down direction first before you hit brake and hit accelerate again before letting go of the down direction to avoid losing your current fire (holding the down direction acts as a safety for not losing your fire in midair).

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm wondering what I do wrong.

I play with classic controls (x to go, r1/l1 drift). I tend to double tap a shoulder button to trigger drift then do my thing. But when it comes to trying to hit short cuts off the side of jumps, I get hung up on whether I should be holding a jump button, pressing both to jump and doing the air brake. Do I only need 1 shoulder button to jump? Does holding it make a higher jump? Do I need to hold it while air braking?

I feel like if I can fine tune this, I'd be more willing to try the ghosts.

You just tap one button to jump. You don't jump when you're drifting.

Sometimes it's worth not jumping and drifting over a jump just so that you keep your reserves, because jumps tend to lose you reserves.

Also be aware that there's two types of airbreak when jumping, regular (holding square) and reverse (holding dpad down and square). If you hold reverse in the air when air breaking you'll find the rotation you can make is much tighter.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

what

The hub worlds are kinda the only reason to play CTTR lol. The racing just isn't all that fun- an absolute lack of characters, boring as hell tracks to accomodate the tag mechanic, and the tag mechanic is silly due to the fact you can just chill out with someone to carry you for the race.

Oct 27, 2017
You just tap one button to jump. You don't jump when you're drifting.

Sometimes it's worth not jumping and drifting over a jump just so that you keep your reserves, because jumps tend to lose you reserves.

Also be aware that there's two types of airbreak when jumping, regular (holding square) and reverse (holding dpad down and square). If you hold reverse in the air when air breaking you'll find the rotation you can make is much tighter.
Thanks. After watching a vid, I realize my issue is that I tend to keep holding a jump button and probably acceleration as I'm trying to air brake, pivoting my thumb from X over to Square, instead of letting off, jamming brake. Saying this out loud (edit: er, typing this out...) has me realizing it makes sense, I just hope my muscle memory cooperates.

I kept practicing on Papu's Pyramid a week or so back (cutting the last corner) and only got it once. I'll try again and report lol.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
One of the daily challenges today is "Score a total of 5 flags in capture the flag in COCO PARK."

:/

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anything has been done or not but I would gladly pay for a charity item if all proceeds went to Australian bush fire support given the game's setting and cast.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. After watching a vid, I realize my issue is that I tend to keep holding a jump button and probably acceleration as I'm trying to air brake, pivoting my thumb from X over to Square, instead of letting off, jamming brake. Saying this out loud (edit: er, typing this out...) has me realizing it makes sense, I just hope my muscle memory cooperates.

I kept practicing on Papu's Pyramid a week or so back (cutting the last corner) and only got it once. I'll try again and report lol.

I don't think you need to airbrake on the last corner of Papu's Pyramid. I drift twice from the left side and then jump at the edge of the ramp turning into it, perhaps you're just taking the wrong angle which is making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Oh, also I found that the parking lot battle map is a really nice way to practice air breaking and general control. You can set it so that the only opponent is an easy AI and they won't generally disturb you.

Last edited:

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like Megamix. His voice is nightmare fuel.

I do like how they kinda made a Freddie Krueger skin out of him though; the "Nightmare" skin.

It seems like Beenox takes pop culture references and uses that as inspiration for skins and carts and whatnot. The Spyromobile is like the Batmobile, the Desert Duster looks like a pod racer, and the "golden wumpa" is basically a golden snitch. Idk if it's intentional or my mind is jumping to conclusions, but I love it.

Oct 27, 2017
3 out of 4 times I've come in first online, I am SO far ahead, the other players don't even finish within the time limit. What's going on there? Lag that bad? Bots? The first time I know it's because I took the Android Alley shortcut and upon watching my saved replay because I couldn't believe it, I noticed no one else did.

Maybe beginners but I still manage to "keep up" even if in 7th. Never noticed no one else finishing other than first except when it was me. Edit: which makes me feel like it's a bot thing?

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
3 out of 4 times I've come in first online, I am SO far ahead, the other players don't even finish within the time limit. What's going on there? Lag that bad? Bots? The first time I know it's because I took the Android Alley shortcut and upon watching my saved replay because I couldn't believe it, I noticed no one else did.

Maybe beginners but I still manage to "keep up" even if in 7th. Never noticed no one else finishing other than first except when it was me. Edit: which makes me feel like it's a bot thing?
sounds like d/c easy bots haha. Bots never take shortcuts so that's a telltale sign.