• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry for making this thread so late, but here we go...

Today, Activision has announced what content will be included in the Nitros Oxide Edition of Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled and what are the characters included that will be unlocked right from the get-go. Oxide and his hovercraft kart are unlockable in the standard edition of the game, and so are the other characters presented in the trailer. Please note that the skins, stickers, decal(s) and paint job(s) are exclusive to the edition.
The revelation of characters from Crash Nitro Kart shouldn't come as a complete surprise for anyone who has been following the game closely, seeing the French interview with Thomas Wilson confirming all characters are included from CNK and the newer PAX interview with Canadian Guy Eh confirming Crunch Bandicoot outright.

Here's a list of what was revealed in the trailer (including Oxide):
Characters (unlockable in standard edition):
  • Nitros Oxide (with his own hoverboard kart)
  • Crunch Bandicoot
  • Zam
  • Zem
Content (exclusive to Nitros Oxide):
  • Star Skins for Crash Bandicoot, Coco, Neo Cortex and Nitros Oxide
    • Oxide also gets a special paint job, stickers pack and decal
  • Crunch Bandicoot Robot Skin
Other news includes the final box cover art and a new concept art for Tiny Temple (shows off the renovated section that used to be the anti-gravity part of the track)

On a final note, if any of my talking points sound confusing, just refer to this footnote provided by Activision regarding the characters:
Nitros Oxide, Crunch, Zem and Zam characters, and the hovercraft kart can be also unlocked in the standard version of game through in-game challenges and rewards

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I can get most of this stuff ingame. The Star and Robot skins are only good if the unique podium animation is SO awesome, and you can probably get this separately if you really want it.

I've been backing both Crash and Sonic kart racers, but Crash is beginning to pull away with the lead a month from Sonic's release.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've been leaning towards getting the game and confirmation of plenty of stuff to unlock always helps me on racing games. Although the real question is the CNK unplayable bosses making it, and the gba characters like Spyro

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
TBH it's a bit odd to see them sort of embrace the post-Naughty Dog Crash games, you'd think they would want to try sweeping all that under the rug.

OP
OP
Motwera

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
I've been leaning towards getting the game and confirmation of plenty of stuff to unlock always helps me on racing games. Although the real question is the CNK unplayable bosses making it, and the gba characters like Spyro
I am actually still wondering if the ND-era characters like Tawna and Koala Kong are going to be included in the game, I feel like Spyro is pretty much happening given the hype and demand

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly the best that Crunch has ever looked.
I think they opted to translate his CNK design into the modern N. Sane era style.

TBH it's a bit odd to see them sort of embrace the post-Naughty Dog Crash games, you'd think they would want to try sweeping all that under the rug.

I get where you're coming from, but there's honestly no reason to abandon all of the post Naughty Dog stuff, some of it had potential and could be repurposed into better things.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Kind of sad that Crash Team Racing has almost 30 characters and Team Sonic Racing only has 15 (no Babylon Rogues, Chaotix, Infinite, or Cream).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Despite what some did hards think there's plenty of us who grew up with and enjoyed the post ND era and even think some of the games are superior to the original. Why throw away a bigger world with even more potential. Also the overseeing teams are the guys who worked on several of the post nd era games

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hopefully there are some other characters yet to be revealed. My wishlist has Tawna, Koala Kong, Nina Cortex, N.Brio and a Lab Assistant on it.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I like the sound of the sticker packs. I didn't realize before they were doing that!

Despite what some die hards think there's plenty of us who grew up with and enjoyed the post ND era and even think some of the games are superior to the original. Why throw away a bigger world with even more potential. Also the overseeing teams are the guys who worked on several of the post nd era games
I agree with this. Twinsanity is my favorite of the whole series, and this is coming from someone whose very first game ever was OG Crash 1.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite what some did hards think there's plenty of us who grew up with and enjoyed the post ND era and even think some of the games are superior to the original. Why throw away a bigger world with even more potential. Also the overseeing teams are the guys who worked on several of the post nd era games
Plus to kids and folks like me who never played any of the older games, this all looks great.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I like the sound of the sticker packs. I didn't realize before they were doing that!

I agree with this. Twinsanity is my favorite of the whole series, and this is coming from someone whose very first game ever was OG Crash 1.

Twinsanity was incredibly ambitious for the series and should've been the template moving forward. I would love a remake for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Twinsanity was incredibly ambitious for the series and should've been the template moving forward. I would love a remake for it.

They will never remake that game (or any other post-ND game for that matter).
Despite its cult following it got awful reviews and sold horribly. Plus most Crash fans dislike it for straying away from the original formula and shifting the tone of the series into zany ""comedy"".
Crash has to move forward from this point with what people loved about the 10 million+ selling N. Sane trilogy. It would be a better idea to just reimagine and reintroduce post-ND elements into their brand new, original Crash games.

Last edited:

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Crash Nitro Kart is literally a straight-up sequel to CTR with all the bells and whistles. An expansion pack if you will.

It makes sense adding in content from that game specifically since it's more of the same.

Plus, it's probably the closest the PS2 games ever got to replicate the look and feel of the ND games.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Add Drake, Ellie and Joel

We're talking a cartoony Kart racer and your mind goes to these two?

ShamefulGentleIbis-size_restricted.gif

rodr710drrrlxf05w8u2.gif

Not... like, these two?

5ccb298bc5ac406722e03beff8cfe30c.gif

Regardless, I don't think there will be any more platform-specific exclusives beyond the retro stuff.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I think Zem and Zam are tolerable since we're getting all the CNK stuff as well (probably N. Trance and Velo are in the game too, just not part of the early unlocks from the Oxide Edition), but I'm really hoping they go bonkers with the cast of the game, if possible representing a good chunk of the franchise.. even if DLC is needed

here's my prediction/wishlist

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I think Zem and Zam are tolerable since we're getting all the CNK stuff as well (probably N. Trance and Velo are in the game too, just not part of the early unlocks from the Oxide Edition), but I'm really hoping they go bonkers with the cast of the game, if possible representing a good chunk of the franchise.. even if DLC is needed

here's my prediction/wishlist

I can dig it! I'd probably replace Evil Crash with someone else, though. Maybe the picklehaube guy from Tag Team Racing, too. I'm not sure with whom, but with the umbrella girls missing, I'm sure they could throw them in as racers. And wasn't there a panda or something in the mobile games? All else fails, they can just go buckwild with the Spyro guest slot & throw in Hunter.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I can dig it! I'd probably replace Evil Crash with someone else, though. Maybe the picklehaube guy from Tag Team Racing, too. I'm not sure with whom, but with the umbrella girls missing, I'm sure they could throw them in as racers. And wasn't there a panda or something in the mobile games? All else fails, they can just go buckwild with the Spyro guest slot & throw in Hunter.
some say that Rilla Roo could also be brought back, Yaya Panda would also be welcome since we don't have many females contenders (and right now, we only have Coco!);

I saw someone once suggest the Flag Girls being alt skins for Tawna and that could kind work, imo

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
some say that Rilla Roo could also be brought back, Yaya Panda would also be welcome since we don't have many females contenders (and right now, we only have Coco!);

I saw someone once suggest the Flag Girls being alt skins for Tawna and that could kind work, imo
I used to think NGIn and pura were females.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Rilla Roo & counting Tawna in my head for some reason. Yeah, we definitely need more women & also I want Rilla Roo.

I don't know if I want this, or them doubling-down on him being a Shadow the Hedgehog-esque edgelord like he kinda was in WoC.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
What about those of us who want a physical copy? Will there be a $20 content add on option?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

seems like his voice actor will be the same one from Wrath of Cortex and Nitro Kart; he retweeted the announcement

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Rilla Roo & counting Tawna in my head for some reason. Yeah, we definitely need more women & also I want Rilla Roo.
I would welcome Rilla Roo too, he just wasn't my first option :p .. would be kinda funny him having a role besides filler in Crash Bash.. he's kinda the Waluigi in the Crash series lol

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
seems like his voice actor will be the same one from Wrath of Cortex and Nitro Kart; he retweeted the announcement

I would welcome Rilla Roo too, he just wasn't my first option :p .. would be kinda funny him having a role besides filler in Crash Bash.. he's kinda the Waluigi in the Crash series lol

He still had the Mr. T voice in CNK, so in retrospect, yeah. That's absolutely what they're going for. And I wholly acknowledge we'll never hear from Rilla Roo again. At least Waluigi has dedicated fans.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
That is unexpected and neat. I am looking forward to this gsme come june.

Kind of sad that Crash Team Racing has almost 30 characters and Team Sonic Racing only has 15 (no Babylon Rogues, Chaotix, Infinite, or Cream).
TSR has Vector at least, who incidentally enough appeared in the sonic boom cartoon.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
That is unexpected and neat. I am looking forward to this gsme come june.

TSR has Vector at least, who incidentally enough appeared in the sonic boom cartoon.
Yeah, but still. The fact Crash Team racing can have double the characters is so weird. It's such a weird omission to not have the babylon rogues, the classic three man racing team Or the three man detective squad. In a game about three man racing squads. Crash team racing has like, almost 15 more tracks too.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Just saying, TSR could've had more characters if they kept the SEGA aspect... But nah, they didn't even bother going for some of the interesting Sonic picks.

Part of the reason this game is looking better is because, well, it had a budget. But the other part is that they're reusing a lot from the N. Sane Trilogy.

i wasn't originally gonna buy this but they got my mans ZAM?

Unironically so hype now

I guess I found the Crash equivalent of the 1 Zavok stan on here. At least it's the dog one & not the gross one.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we'll also get the bosses from CNK. Going from the GBA version of CNK to the console version I was always very disappointed they didn't become playable like they are in the GBA version. I can only hope they actually go the extra mile and make them playable in this game, especially since they were way more relevant and better designed characters to CNK than Zem and Zam ever were.

XJymwm3.png

I was a fan of Nash because who doesn't like a shark in a speedo. I also really liked Big Norm, primarily because of his voice lines.

I really hope they were honest about making every playable character from CNK playable, cause that should include the GBA version that had these bosses + Spyro the Dragon playable. I'm not completely convinced they will though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
As a mega fan of Crash Team Racing I honestly could not stomach just about anything new Nitro Kart did, so I am honestly annoyed they are bringing in characters as outrageously ugly as Zem and Zam. Crunch is alright, though.

Give me Rilla Roo, Tawna and maybe a redesigned Nina.

Yeah, but still. The fact Crash Team racing can have double the characters is so weird. It's such a weird omission to not have the babylon rogues, the classic three man racing team Or the three man detective squad. In a game about three man racing squads. Crash team racing has like, almost 15 more tracks too.
Team Sonic Racing has a much grander vehicle customization aspect to it and is mostly completely new tracks instead of remakes (there are some of those too though). We have no idea how in-depth the story mode gets or how much dialog the game has either (there seems to be a huge amount), so it might be a lot higher budget than most expect, it just focuses on stuff people are less interested in, heh.

The birds are fairly unpopular characters, but no Cream or anything like classic skins is pretty odd. The roster is pretty lame, but I am fairly confident it will get DLC characters. I have my fingers hopelessly crossed for Nack the Weasel, personally.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
As a mega fan of Crash Team Racing I honestly could not stomach just about anything new Nitro Kart did, so I am honestly annoyed they are bringing in characters as outrageously ugly as Zem and Zam. Crunch is alright, though.

Give me Rilla Roo, Tawna and maybe a redesigned Nina.

Team Sonic Racing has a much grander vehicle customization aspect to it and is mostly completely new tracks instead of remakes (there are some of those too though). We have no idea how in-depth the story mode gets or how much dialog the game has either (there seems to be a huge amount), so it might be a lot higher budget than most expect, it just focuses on stuff people are less interested in, heh.

The birds are fairly unpopular characters, but no Cream or anything like classic skins is pretty odd. The roster is pretty lame, but I am fairly confident it will get DLC characters. I have my fingers hopelessly crossed for Nack the Weasel, personally.
Can you not call the birds unpopular? They had three sonic riders games. I love jet the hawk.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I remember always wanting to play as the Shark boss in CNK as a kid so put me as someone who wants that to be finally fulfilled (though I did play the GBA version, so I think I did play him there lol)