• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
If the roster is primarily getting filled with highly requested characters like CTR has, then yeah, more is better.

The way Nintendo is handling the crappy mobile MK is hopeful though, with how they update that game with new tracks and characters in a similar vein as CTR (albeit with a gacha system which is way worse than anything in CTR). Hopefully Nintendo will take pointers from CTR for their next real Mario Kart because despite the problems CTR launched with, the post-launch updates have been mostly phenomenal.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Because more = Better, right.

Not necessarily, but MK8DX has such a boring roster for how big it is.
It's not even a case of "lol I don't know why of these characters from these best selling PS1 games that sold like 5 million+ each": the CTR NF roster is better overall than the MK8DX one.

The Crash characters obviously aren't as popular, but they're a better choice when it comes to variety, and no one is missing at this point. If you like a Crash character, they're playable, or will more than likely be playable in the future. With MK, there are characters who have been missing for years now, and it's a coin toss whether or not your favourite will make it to the next game.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't muster any feelings about this, especially considering the grinding and microtransactions stuff which has only turned me away from ever wanting to purchase the game. I think I'd much rather pick up the original game or Crash Nitro Kart.

Or you could just get Nitro-Fueled since it has the content from both those games plus more instead of worrying about optional cosmetics that don't even require grinding or microtransactions to obtain.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even my sisters know who the koopalings are, maybe not by name but you really tryna campare to king fucking chicken? Fuck outta my face with this stupid ass post.
In this thread: The title calls out Mario Kart, then Crash fans proceed to be flabbergasted by Mario Kart fans entering the thread to defend the franchise.

You fell for that trap card bro.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever patch the difficulty in this game? I enjoy a good kart racer but hearing a lot of people say that Normal mode feels unfairly hard turned me off from it completely. Google isn't giving me a straight answer.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
44 charmless cunts.

The roster is even worse than Sonic's bunch of dickheads.
Who hurt you dawg

Man's said cunts and dickheads you know he got that footy rage in him

Did they ever patch the difficulty in this game? I enjoy a good kart racer but hearing a lot of people say that Normal mode feels unfairly hard turned me off from it completely. Google isn't giving me a straight answer.

I had never thought the Normal difficulty was difficult but it has its rubberbanding issues.

Thankfully Sumo Digital made a fine game this year that didn't suffer from either setback.

Matchmaking hasn't been fixed and the issues that plague the PC version have also never been fixed. Sumo abandoned Team Sonic Racing which isn't really a good look at all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think there was a difficulty patch, but once you get over the initial learning curve/realise it's completely different to MK in how it plays, it's easy as anything.

I've never struggled against the normal AI, and the bosses are a joke, as their movesets rely on them being in front of you.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

The Normal AI is hard when you don't understand the game. Once you get a feel for how the drifting and reserve system works, you'll never lose to it.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I had to take a break from the non-stop barrage of Grand Prix's for a couple months, but I played again this weekend and had forgotten how fun this game is. And... in a couple of hours, I had all 4 of the new characters unlocked without spending any real world money! Can you believe that?!?!? It's almost like the microtransactions aren't even necessary to enjoy the entire game.

And I had 2 new courses to race on—the Carnival one is quite fun.

Also, the matchmaking is SO MUCH BETTER. I was actually coming in first, second and third in my races, instead of being on lap 2 when the game would end. That is one improvement they desperately needed and it made online far more enjoyable. That and being able to play as any character with the engine swap mechanic. It's insane how much Beenox has added to this game since launch.

My suggestion, if you stopped playing awhile ago, give it a shot again.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
And... in a couple of hours, I had all 4 of the new characters unlocked without spending any real world money! Can you believe that?!?!? It's almost like the microtransactions aren't even necessary to enjoy the entire game.

But people who haven't played the game told me they had to quit their job to find enough time in a month to unlock the monthly GP characters???

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I find the roster pretty cool especially with Pasadena added but I have a tough choice BF, this or spyro(on switch for both)

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get this game at some point.
It will be $15 on Black Friday at Target.

aevkwhyys2x31.png

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

It's not unfair at all. You just have to learn to play decently. Understanding the drift mechanics and learning shortcuts are your two best friends as a novice player. Later on you can learn about the more arcane mechanics like air braking and turbo reserves. The game becomes more and more engaging the more you learn.

I had never thought the Normal difficulty was difficult but it has its rubberbanding issues.

That's not entirely accurate. AI racers do sometimes speed up artificially, but it's not because the player has passed them. Each one has a set race time that they're aiming to hit, so if they get wiped out by an item or track hazard, they'll speed up a bit to try and hit said time. They aren't infallible in this pursuit, and if you're good at the game you can still lap them.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
GP1, the Twilight GP, was meant to be the motorsport-themed event. Touring the world, hence the motor-themed outfits (Motorsport Nitro Squad + Crunch, Biker Crash and Tiny), while also featuring flags and such.

Also,
December GP is winter themed (its internal name is "Luminous"), and will have Fasty, Yaya Panda, Rilla Roo, Chick and Stew. That has been confirmed 100%, as alt colours also have been found.
They also found that the January GP is referred to as "Dry Lands", which some are speculating might be in reference to the Skelos Badlands from Spyro 2, which would line up with us getting at least one more wave of Spyro characters spearheaded by Ripto, who is by far the most popular villain.

I'm so excited. Though I wish they let us rest a bit after December Grand Prix

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
It's not unfairly hard. It's just one of the few kart racers that requires the drift boost mechanics. I feel like it's more fair than many other racing games.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Do people even care that much about the rosters in these games? Yeah the character selection in MK8 kinda sucks but ultimately I'm there for the tracks

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Been playing this game for a while and today was the first day I've actually been able to finish online races! Usually I get lapped.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm so excited. Though I wish they let us rest a bit after December Grand Prix

Rest all you like, the stuff will come back.

Been playing this game for a while and today was the first day I've actually been able to finish online races! Usually I get lapped.

That's probably the SBMM working out. It's great for novice-medium players to find like competition, but kinda frustrating for those playing at the highest levels, since items become messy and brutal at high speeds.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't muster any feelings about this, especially considering the grinding and microtransactions stuff which has only turned me away from ever wanting to purchase the game. I think I'd much rather pick up the original game or Crash Nitro Kart.
You need 12000 coins to unlock all 8 Nitro Kart characters, which you can get just racing online a couple hours over a weekend. Everything else from the original CTR and Nitro Fueled requires no coins.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Do people even care that much about the rosters in these games? Yeah the character selection in MK8 kinda sucks but ultimately I'm there for the tracks

Totally- it's why "where's Diddy? when's platinum blue Mario? why more babies?" are such big MK complaints.
Obviously tracks are more important, and CTR NF is certainly no slouch in that department, but people would be outraged if they stripped the MK roster down to just say Mario, Peach, Bowser and Toad.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Totally- it's why "where's Diddy? when's platinum blue Mario? why more babies?" are such big MK complaints.
Obviously tracks are more important, and CTR NF is certainly no slouch in that department, but people would be outraged if they stripped the MK roster down to just say Mario, Peach, Bowser and Toad.
That's true, when you put it that way I would care too. I retract what I said

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Normal is based around frequent use of the drift boost mechanic to gain and keep speed. It doesn't require optimal drift boosting, but it still requires some.

Drift boosting/power sliding is the core of CTR. You want to do it as much as possible. This is a game where "snaking" is how the game is designed to be played.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't really race online.

You get a good amount of coins while playing offline during the weekend (double). The new Ring Rally mode has good payouts too, besides being fun. It's not as good as playing online (though if you can get a friend, private matches also award the daily wumpa time bonus), but it's much better than the options you had just two months ago.

And if you've got a turbo controller or something that can input a macro, there are still unpatched ways of AFK grinding for coins, say, overnight. Those have also benefited from the weekend bonus being carried into offline.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You need 12000 coins to unlock all 8 Nitro Kart characters, which you can get just racing online a couple hours over a weekend. Everything else from the original CTR and Nitro Fueled requires no coins.

The amount of coins you get during the weekend should be the amount you get during the week. It's a pointless separation that exists for no real reason other than to push microstransactions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What is there to suggest that CTR isn't a quality game

Or is this the dumbass "RANDOM NOBODIES" mindset that seems to plague Sonic spin offs

I think the comment was about the quality of the characters, not the game itself. Most of the characters are pretty generic.

But considering how terrible most of the Sonic characters are -- as shown by the roster of the previous two All-Stars games being amazing and the Sonic-only one being very lackluster -- I'm not sure how that's a "dumbass mindset." Chill, it's just a video game.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I think the comment was about the quality of the characters, not the game itself. Most of the characters are pretty generic.

But considering how terrible most of the Sonic characters are -- as shown by the roster of the previous two All-Stars games being amazing and the Sonic-only one being very lackluster -- I'm not sure how that's a "dumbass mindset." Chill, it's just a video game.

I don't understand how a Sonic focused kart racer just automatically makes a game's cast seem generic but okay

Seems real easy for non-Sonic/Crash fans in this forum to just write off the cast and it's kind of a bummer to even discuss it without that facet rearing it's head every time

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't understand how a Sonic focused kart racer just automatically makes a game's cast seem generic but okay

Seems real easy for non-Sonic/Crash fans in this forum to just write off the cast and it's kind of a bummer to even discuss it without that facet rearing it's head every time

The truth of the matter is that without the benefit of years of familiarity, the characters in the Mariokart roster would probably look just as generic to an outside observer as the Crash or Sonic characters.

The Crash characters don't look generic to me because I've spent years becoming familiar with them. I know how they sound, how they behave, what their personalities are like. Without all that, they'd probably look as generic to me as they do to Johnny NintendoFan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that ragging on Crash or Sonic characters for looking generic while propping up the Mariokart roster is dumb. Without our respective fanboy predilections, they're all just weird little cartoon things.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The amount of coins you get during the weekend should be the amount you get during the week. It's a pointless separation that exists for no real reason other than to push microstransactions.

It's there to foster a time of heightened activity for the game. That's why the bonus used to be only for online play. They've since brought it into offline and instead just made more GP challenges that require you to play online matchmaking.

If they were just trying to push microtransactions, what good does offering a regularly scheduled bonus really do?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

But I'm not a non-Sonic/Crash fan. I'm a huge fan of both. But much of the supporting cast is pretty crap.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Good thing that CTR has both, while Mario Kart Tour has been adding these amazing high quality drivers that take up unique slots in the game, let's see here...
Mario in a musician outfit.
Mario in a hakama.
Toad in a racing outfit.
Peach in a kimono.
Peach in a vacation outfit.
Rosalina in a witch costume.
Shy Guy with a chef hat.

Wow. Astounding roster of characters there. Look at all these fan favourites. I always wanted to play as Shy Guy with a chef hat, he's been my most wanted Mario character.

Sarcasm aside, you can't honestly believe that Mario Kart's characters are, inherently, higher "quality" than Crash's. More well-known, sure. But there's never been a competition for that, anyway. CTR has been adding basically every character that exists in the series outside of a handful, and is likely going to end up with these handful as well - the scenario of every named character from the series being playable in CTR is a realistic outcome. Meanwhile, over in Mario Kart Tour, players will be getting... Mario in a santa hat and Peach in an elf suit or something.

You know what's even funnier? The chef, witch, vacation and racing gear outfits are available in CTR too. But they're actually skins for characters, and not unique drivers.

The truth of the matter is that without the benefit of years of familiarity, the characters in the Mariokart roster would probably look just as generic to an outside observer as the Crash or Sonic characters.

The Crash characters don't look generic to me because I've spent years becoming familiar with them. I know how they sound, how they behave, what their personalities are like. Without all that, they'd probably look as generic to me as they do to Johnny NintendoFan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that ragging on Crash or Sonic characters for looking generic while propping up the Mariokart roster is dumb. Without our respective fanboy predilections, they're all just weird little cartoon things.

You don't even need to be familiar with the characters because CTR NF goes above and beyond letting each character's personality shine through. I never played CNK so the new characters of that game were a complete blank slate for me, but I fell quite in love with Geary and Small Norm, and can appreciate the others as well.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The question is, how many people are still playing it online in comparison to MK8D to even care?

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The question is, how many people are still playing it online in comparison to MK8D to even care?

On Switch, which is only like 10% of how big the playerbase on the PS4 is, and is about on the same level as XBone's, there have been a bit over 16000 people who have participated in at least one online race since Friday.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Crash fans can't even make a thread title without mentioning Mario Kart 😂

That only proves desperation from them.

ITT: Mario Kart stans driving by to shit all over a game they've never played because they only saw the title and feel threatened by another kart racer being successful, apparently.

If anything, it's Crash fans like OP that feel threatened by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because they know it's more superior to CTR: Nitro-Fueled, especially in terms of the cast of characters. So they do whatever they can to put on a front & pretend that CTR: NF is more superior.

Otherwise, why keep making comparison threads between the two games?

Last edited: