• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
As some players approach exhaustion leading into the fifth straight month of content updates, I just want to point out that the game has hit a milestone that, for a long time, I thought would be incapable of any kart racer not under Nintendo's branding. CTR's remake has added 18 characters to the game with today's update just now pushing the total to 44. To my knowledge, no kart racer has had a cast this huge. Not only that, but now every single boss from the original franchise is selectable and in the same single title for the first time ever, with certain ones having more spoken dialogue than their entire franchise presence had before.

Beenox may not be perfect but for franchise fans the amount of support and love theyve given to the game is staggering. To me it establishes some true competition to tempt Nintendo to be more creative with their cast decisions moving forward, as CTR's cast is also not as proliferated with additional Mario costumes and baby variants.

aZj2QhY.jpg

And this chicken is here too

Nov 23, 2017
I mean that's cool but why does it gotta be a competition or compared to other things? Things can be good without other things being called worse.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Quite honestly the most amazing effort regarding regular content updates and character additions. Now, release it on PC and give us 60fps! Absolutely love the remake - it's an insane effort, up there with the best games of this year.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't care less. What a huge regret buying the game was, MK8 so much better in every way.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I say this as a big Crash fan: I wish I cared about 50% of this game's roster. I also lost all respect I had for it after what they pulled with the shop.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole roster quantity comparison seems kinda pointless, 90% of people who buy CTR aren't going in because they want to play as "King Chicken" let alone even knowing what game it's supposed to be from.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's cool but why does it gotta be a competition or compared to other things? Things can be good without other things being called worse.

"Biggest kart racing roster of all time" seems like a worthwhile milestone to mention.

And I mean, you can complain about most of them being characters no one really cares about, but I mean, MK8D has seven Koopalings, five baby versions, and Mario in a raccoon outfit, so it's not like the bar is super high.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow king chicken. Rip super merio bros

Apr 21, 2018
Yes I'm still salty that Diddy Kong and Birdo never appeared in Mario Kart 8.

But I'd still take Mario Kart 8 and all the babies and clones over this lineup of nobodies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's cool for the effort and I'd love more racers to do the 'Evryone is Here" thing, but if you're not a Bandicoot or a Cortex I can't say I particularly care about them.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
that first line looks like the same character with five different wigs. your argument is cool and all but... yeah

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it establishes some true competition to tempt Nintendo to be more creative with their cast decisions moving forward
lost it at this point
the first row is the same girl in 5 different wigs. the cast of CTR is mostly filler, and i'm not even the biggest fan of mario kart cast but at least those characters are somewhat recognizable. CTR is adding characters from PS2 games no one played.
nintendo is in way, shape or formed concerned with what CTR is doing.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This thread might have gone well if you didn't pointlessly compare it to Mario Kart, a game that it only shares "characters drive vehicles" with in gameplay.

All you accomplished with the comparison is dragging people who don't like Crash to come in and shit on how "unmemorable" the roster is and how "nobody can name more than a couple crash characters" even though 10 million copies of N.Sane Trilogy sold and CTR has sold a ton too.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, this doesn't mean much for me as I don't know who these people are.

Cool otherwise though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i know they're different characters but come on
screenshot2019-11-08acckr3.png

and it's just not them. the original cast from the PS1 game is good but they keep adding these nobodies and pulling from these mediocre games ver few people cared about. it's not really a good cast imo.

edit: i think the post launch support as far as adding new tracks regularly has been excellent tho. credit where credit is due.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for the dozen or so people that know who these characters are and still give a shit.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of negativity in here, but I think it's great how much post-launch support the game has gotten (inb4 avatar quote).

I mean I still love Mario Kart most, but second best kart racer is still a great accomplishment.

It bodes well for the future of Crash/Spyro franchises.

and it's just not them. the original cast from the PS1 game is good but they keep adding these nobodies and pulling from these mediocre games ver few people cared about. it's not really a good cast imo.
I know this isn't really serious, but I mean, you come on. They clearly have different face structures. The only thing they have in common is they're female bandicoots and they're (somewhat) colorful.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what's so egregious about pointing this out. Heaven forbid a kart racer ends up surpassing Mario Kart in having the biggest roster I guess?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
CTR is a good game in its own merits, no need to compare it to MK is every thread.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Go to a any Crash oriented place and there's many posts exclaming lots of thanks for adding these characters even post Naughty Dog era.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Crash fans can't even make a thread title without mentioning Mario Kart 😂

Looks like a great time to jump back in with all the content they added. Going to check it out later tonight.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
it is really nice that CTRNF has such a big but it doesn't really need to be compared to MK all the god damn time

if anything it just reminds me how basic MK roster are nowadays, i miss the weird picks that we used to get

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, there are are more characters. But most of them are hideous garbage creatures that most people have never heard of.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ITT: Mario Kart stans driving by to shit all over a game they've never played because they only saw the title and feel threatened by another kart racer being successful, apparently.

CTR is an amazing game. It's great that the cast is getting expanded even nearly half a year since after launch, and will keep being expanded upon (we know there's going to be another wave of characters in December, and some more past that since Activision talked about multiple DLCs past December), even if somebody who doesn't care about Crash doesn't recognize some of them.

Also, for the naysayers out of another particular camp: The micro transactions keep getting shunted more and more, by this point they're basically only lip service.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Mario Kart stans driving by to shit all over a game they've never played because they only saw the title and feel threatened by another kart racer being successful, apparently.

CTR is an amazing game. It's great that the cast is getting expanded even nearly half a year since after launch, and will keep being expanded upon (we know there's going to be another wave of characters in December, and some more past that since Activision talked about multiple DLCs past December), even if somebody who doesn't care about Crash doesn't recognize some of them.

Also, for the naysayers out of another particular camp: The micro transactions keep getting shunted more and more, by this point they're basically only lip service.
What? OP directly brings up Mario Kart? I don't even have Mario Kart

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'll rather play as a baby character in MK than 98% of the CTR roster.

Because of people thinking this way Nintendo does nothing to expand to MK roster. MK's roster has always been boring and unimaginative compared to its local competitor: Diddy Kong Racing. MK devs are fairly conservative, add only few new characters in every game, like Rosalina or Koopalings. That's why Nintendo needs to ditch the Mario universe in their next kart game and choose an interesting franchise as a theme: DK or Wario. Both universes can provide very big and diverse rosters.

Oct 27, 2017
The constant dick measuring contest between this and Mario Kart is pathetic. I would be interested in seeing how many folks even come into this thread without MK8 in title. My guess is not so many. I'll be honest too, as someone who played Crash 1-3 several times throughout my child hood, I don't even know who most of those characters are. Most of the girls look like simple reskins.

Op wasn't required to put MK8 in the title you know. It was irrelevant and they shit up their own thread by doing so. If you want to blame anyone for bringing up Mario Kart, blame them. The only insecure people I see floating around are the ones who feel they constantly need to compare the two to try and bolster CTR. No one is losing sleep over this.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lost it at this point
the first row is the same girl in 5 different wigs. the cast of CTR is mostly filler, and i'm not even the biggest fan of mario kart cast but at least those characters are somewhat recognizable. CTR is adding characters from PS2 games no one played.
nintendo is in way, shape or formed concerned with what CTR is doing.
I mean consider this is what they originally looked like.
2019.05.28-10.42-boundingintocomics-5cedb95b61092.png

I'd say they did good with the re-designs given what they were working with.
a73.jpg

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the OP could have just made a positive thread about CTR without bringing up MK. you can't do that and then not expect people to talk about MK
i've played the game btw. it's good but not anything special

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the deal is with the chicken, but I'll be booting the game up again to get it soon.

If there's one thing I massively respect about the CTR roster, it's the commitment to the wide net of crash characters, now I may feel personally that the nitro kart characters are 90% monstrosities that only a mother could love, but damn they even brought them back for their apparently existing fans and as such show an amount of respect towards the wider reaching aspects of the franchise.

Meanwhile mario kart won't even touch E Gadd, mario RPG characters (paper and M&L, not actually SMRPG), wario side characters or anything Kong these days beyond DK himself (but I guess they do for their own internal picks like Splatoon and animal crossing so it's not a complete wash), but gosh dang we got babies and metallics I guess!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

edit: i think the post launch support as far as adding new tracks regularly has been excellent tho. credit where credit is due.
The Nitro Squad are probably the most interesting designs in the roster outside the main characters so I'm not sure why people keep bringing them up.

They really don't look that similar.

My b
OP
OP
UshiromiyaEva

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Ok I really regret bringing up the comparison at all, Was not trying to instill this kind of negativity around either game, I like both games.

In a lot of ways I get that people don't care about Crash's deeper cast but the amount of raw fan demand that gets heard is so amazing, that's what I'm trying to share. A good chunk of those characters in the bonus slot were asked for and delivered on.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

Anytime one of those threads come up, it makes some of the CTR fanbase look like they have an inferiority complex despite the game being amazing and succesful as you said. You should all just enjoy the game instead of trying to have a dick measuring contest.
I'll play the game if it ever comes on PC though (weird this has yet to happen).

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Because of people thinking this way Nintendo does nothing to expand to MK roster. MK's roster has always been boring and unimaginative compared to its local competitor: Diddy Kong Racing. MK devs are fairly conservative, add only few new characters in every game, like Rosalina or Koopalings. That's why Nintendo needs to ditch the Mario universe in their next kart game and choose an interesting franchise as a theme: DK or Wario. Both universes can provide very big and diverse rosters.
Mario Kart Tour will at least force their hand in expanding the roster (despite there being a lot of skins being added), and hopefully the work done on making new models for that game can extend to the next mainline installment.