• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I don't know what the deal is with the chicken, but I'll be booting the game up again to get it soon.

If there's one thing I massively respect about the CTR roster, it's the commitment to the wide net of crash characters, now I may feel personally that the nitro kart characters are 90% monstrosities that only a mother could love, but damn they even brought them back for their apparently existing fans and as such show an amount of respect towards the wider reaching aspects of the franchise.

Meanwhile mario kart won't even touch E Gadd, mario RPG characters (paper and M&L, not actually SMRPG), wario side characters or anything Kong these days beyond DK himself (but I guess they do for their own internal picks like Splatoon and animal crossing so it's not a complete wash), but gosh dang we got babies and metallics I guess!
That's my issue with especially Mario Kart 8 before the DLC. It was a really boring roster and the Mario series has a wide array of characters to pull from.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
ITT: Mario Kart stans driving by to shit all over a game they've never played because they only saw the title and feel threatened by another kart racer being successful, apparently.

CTR is an amazing game. It's great that the cast is getting expanded even nearly half a year since after launch, and will keep being expanded upon (we know there's going to be another wave of characters in December, and some more past that since Activision talked about multiple DLCs past December), even if somebody who doesn't care about Crash doesn't recognize some of them.

Also, for the naysayers out of another particular camp: The micro transactions keep getting shunted more and more, by this point they're basically only lip service.

It's a real shame. Prior to CTR's release I was excited to play the game, as it's been over five years since Mario Kart 8, but the one-two punch of microtransactions and the Activision/Blizzard Hong Kong controversy has really taken a lot of wind out of my sails on the matter.

Thankfully Sumo Digital made a fine game this year that didn't suffer from either setback.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If CTR can fit in babies and still have a big ass roster, Mario Kart can too. Your move, Nintendo.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Half of them look the same, and I've no idea who any of them are.

Also, comparing it to MK so that people come in and just (quite rightly) say MK is better, was a bit silly.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
44 charmless cunts.

The roster is even worse than Sonic's bunch of dickheads.
Maybe you haven't seen the right ones? Cuz Fisherman Polar is the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

CTR_078_Thunderstruck_Polar-162-1080.jpg

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Cool, but I had to admit the pit stop stuff is just not fun to grind. I play much less these days....

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that you think the roster sucks has to be borne out of Nintendo or Mario Kart fandom is pretty silly. I can say, as someone that doesn't like Mario Kart and its gaggle of babies, Koopalings, and Metals, that this roster ain't exactly setting my heart aflutter either.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Mario Kart stans driving by to shit all over a game they've never played because they only saw the title and feel threatened by another kart racer being successful, apparently.
Legoshi, you're better than this.

I played the 30fps kart racer at Game XP, a gaming event here in Brazil. It feels bad to play. The OP mentioned MK, he had to see it coming. Don't be so defensive.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's cool but why does it gotta be a competition or compared to other things? Things can be good without other things being called worse.
Amen.

I really hate how users can't just be happy or satisfied with a game without knocking down a similar game.

Incredible irritating since it usually results in fans of whatever series being hostile to the general message of the OP.

Just reading the last couple posts is embarrassing - really beefing about Mario Kart v CTR ...in 2019 ? Just play what you want and don't be a dick about it.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It challenges Mario Kart through having an adventure mode and frequent post-launch content though I've never understood why there's so much interest in kart racer rosters when they're effectively only avatars and don't operate any differently.

Isn't CTR essentially just 4 different character types and everything else is cosmetic? It's not like a fighting game where a new character has a different style to everyone else.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>puts MK in thread title
>mentions MK in the OP
>"why are people talking about MK?"

the additions to cast are bad and largely uninteresting, you don't have to be an MK fan to see it. i'm not even the fan of the MK8 cast, if it was up to me i'd cut like 10+ of the characters cuz they're boring/uninteresting.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a real shame. Prior to CTR's release I was excited to play the game, as it's been over five years since Mario Kart 8, but the one-two punch of microtransactions and the Activision/Blizzard Hong Kong controversy has really taken a lot of wind out of my sails on the matter.

Thankfully Sumo Digital made a fine game this year that didn't suffer from either setback.

Unless you really need to have all the cosmetics in the game right this moment, you won't even notice the microtransactions all that much, honestly.
The characters aren't all that costly, and there's a decent amount of customization options to play around with from unlocks in Adventure and other modes, and the King Chicken character that OP posted a picture of also was just added today with the latest DLC, as an additional unlockable in Adventure.

The grinding for coins keeps getting made easier and easier with basically every update Beenox are pushing out, they updated the store so it restocks itself rather than the daily rotation bullshit that Fortnite also pulls. And there are no intrusive popups or anything of the like, either. The currency purchase is stashed away only in the in-game store with a tab you have to explicitly go to.

I don't like that microtransactions exist in this game, either, but compared to basically every other game I've played that has them, CTR is by far the most benign. It's why I consider the addition of them to this game to be mostly a lip service.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It challenges Mario Kart through having an adventure mode and frequent post-launch content though I've never understood why there's so much interest in kart racer rosters when they're effectively only avatars and don't operate any differently. Isn't CTR essentially just 4 different character types and everything else is cosmetic? It's not like a fighting game where a new character has a different style to everyone else.
People like characters, I'm not gonna buy this just for the racing. I have to like the series and characters as well.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been incredibly happy with CTR going above and beyond simply being a remake of the 1999 game. It's awesome that it has become an "everyone is here" for the classic Crash characters too, and I love the post launch support.

I am envious since there are so many obvious additions to Mario Kart that Nintendo hasn't made.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>puts MK in thread title
>mentions MK in the OP

the additions to cast is are bad and largely uninteresting, you don't have to be an MK fan to see it. i'm not even the fan of the MK8 cast. if it was up to me i'd cut like 10+ of the characters cuz they're boring/uninteresting.
How are they bad? What quantifies as bad? The Nitro Squad were the last ones I cared about but I'm not gonna say stop adding content.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
>puts MK in thread title
>mentions MK in the OP

the additions to cast is are bad and largely uninteresting, you don't have to be an MK fan to see it. i'm not even the fan of the MK8 cast. if it was up to me i'd cut like 10+ of the characters cuz they're boring/uninteresting.
I really don't get why people act as if it was impossible to start liking a character.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Unless you really need to have all the cosmetics in the game right this moment, you won't even notice the microtransactions all that much, honestly.
The characters aren't all that costly, and there's a decent amount of customization options to play around with from unlocks in Adventure and other modes, and the King Chicken character that OP posted a picture of also was just added today with the latest DLC, as an additional unlockable in Adventure.

The grinding for coins keeps getting made easier and easier with basically every update Beenox are pushing out, they updated the store so it restocks itself rather than the daily rotation bullshit that Fortnite also pulls. And there are no intrusive popups or anything of the like, either. The currency purchase is stashed away only in the in-game store with a tab you have to explicitly go to.

I don't like that microtransactions exist in this game, either, but compared to basically every other game I've played that has them, CTR is by far the most benign. It's why I consider the addition of them to this game to be mostly a lip service.

I don't care how much "easier" grinding for coins has become, it shouldn't exist.

Grinding for anything shouldn't exist in a full-priced retail kart racer.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
There's a LOT of salt in here. Op doesn't even make a comparison with MK other than pure numbers. I'd love if Nintendo put that many characters in the next MK.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Nitro Squad is awesome, fuck yall talking about

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
>puts MK in thread title
>mentions MK in the OP

Do you also get riled up when people compare fighting games to Street Fighter? Honestly, your posts just reek of Nintendo fanboyism just because another kart racer hit a crazy milestone with unique characters.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are they bad? What quantifies as bad? The Nitro Squad were the last ones I cared about but I'm not gonna say stop adding content.
it's just my personal opinion
i'm not saying they should stop adding content, i think they're doing a great job (at least about all the new tracks, they all look awesome). i wish nintendo would add new tracks to MK8D.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I came into CTR remake not really caring about a lot of the characters but I grew to like them. A lot of those characters that "nobody likes" have a lot of charming outfits and animations and Beenox have done an admirable job trying to turn them into characters worth caring about.

People real mad in here, though.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
N. Brio is one of my favorite additions, he's one of my mains now. I also always liked Koala Kong so I'm glad he's getting another chance in the spotlight.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, i get some of you guys want crash to be just as popular as mario, but when i look at most of these characters, my first thought is "who?"

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
People like characters, I'm not gonna buy this just for the racing. I have to like the series and characters as well.
Sure, I loved getting Spyro and Hunter in CTR but in both games the later entries seem incredibly padded like the baby or metal characters in Mario Kart. I wonder who those are for and why they can be considered as a positive for bloating the total character number.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't CTR essentially just 4 different character types and everything else is cosmetic? It's not like a fighting game where a new character has a different style to everyone else.

At this point character choice is only cosmetic, as well. Beenox added the option to play as the base class of the respective character, but you can change the class. They also added a fifth class.
However, people are very invested into the characters they like. You'd be surprised at how popular one-off characters like Rilla Roo are and how heavily they get requested. And obviously, some of these characters never were playable, or if they were, they weren't voiced. Koala Kong has gotten more dialogue in this game than he has in any game prior to this. There's a lot of charm in the characters' animations, both during the races and in the podium animations. I used to be indifferent to several of the characters in this roster initially, but CTR definitely made me warm up to some of them, like Papu Papu.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's also not just characters being added, they add new skins all the time too. And they're not just boring color swaps, think more like Overwatch with actual themes and aesthetics.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you also get riled up when people compare fighting games to Street Fighter? Honestly, your posts just reek of Nintendo fanboyism just because another kart racer hit a crazy milestone with unique characters.
*eyeroll*
i'm a big crash fan.
loved the originals on PS1 and played them countless times on PSP.
loved the trilogy remake, 100%ed all three games last year.
i've been super excited about a possible new crash platformer.
loved CTR back then, played it a ton on PSP.
literally from the moment the remake was announced at last year's i was super excited, you can check and see i was always posting in the update threads and praising the game and how it looked.
got CTR remake day 1-ish.

you can not like an aspect of something (the cast) without being a fanboy of something else. i like a lot about the game, i've sold my copy but i plan on re-buying it in the future to try all the new tracks.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this game but OP has a point

I WISH Nintendo was putting "who?!?!" characters in Mario Kart. Give me Fawful, Popple from the Mario & Luigi, give us some Paper Mario characters rendered in 3D for the first time. Throw in DK characters, WarioLand/Ware characters. LM3 just released with a fuckton of potential new ghost drivers!

Im completely opposed to Smash Kart replacing Mario Kart because contrary to lots of others' beliefs, Nintendo has not NEARLY mined the potential Mario roster to it's full potential at all. Kind of pathetic given the potential it has to put some under appreciated characters in the spotlight.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care how much "easier" grinding for coins has become, it shouldn't exist.

Grinding for anything shouldn't exist in a full-priced retail kart racer.

That is a fair perspective, and I can't really fault you for holding it.
However, I would point out that Mario Kart 8 also has PLENTY of grinding coins for kart parts. And, they do affect your gameplay, because they have different stats.