• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
When will the little bird guys from Twinsanity get their due?

When will Twinsanity get its due?!

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore this game. Bless Beenox for doing so much for the fans.

and to anyone who doesn't care about spoilers, it's not over yet!

-FAY (Fasty)
-CCK (Chick)
-STW (Stew
-RRA (Rilla Roo)
-YYA (Yaya)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Been waiting for a sale, but maybe I should just bite? Been wanting it on switch, but load times seem long. Also have ps4.

Thoughts? Deals? Spyro?

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno much about most of those characters but I'm down with chicken king

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When will the little bird guys from Twinsanity get their due?

When will Twinsanity get its due?!

Considering the DLC is going to continue, the likelihood of Victor, Moritz and, possibly, Evil Crash and Madame Amberly becoming playable rises.
All 4 of them already have been referenced in last month's DLC track, and so far every named character that has had a cameo in the tracks via art or the likes has been added as playable.

Same goes for Rilla Roo and today's DLC track.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm baffled why most of you are saying a lot of new characters don't make sense here. Most of new cast are missing characters from original Crash trilogy. Nitro Squad is actually from CTR itself. The only new ones are two characters from CTTR, three from Spyro and Nina Cortex from Crash games from PS2. King Chicken is a weird case, though. Don't know who the heck he is.

Last edited:

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Been waiting for a sale, but maybe I should just bite? Been wanting it on switch, but load times seem long. Also have ps4.

Thoughts? Deals? Spyro?

I have it on Switch and it's pretty great. Load times were fixed in an earlier patch so they are much shorter now than they were when the game came out.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
That is a fair perspective, and I can't really fault you for holding it.
However, I would point out that Mario Kart 8 also has PLENTY of grinding coins for kart parts. And, they do affect your gameplay, because they have different stats.

Ah, touche indeed, it's been years since I've touched Mario Kart 8.

Still the concept of grinding for unlockables that can be bought with real-world money instead seems super scummy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the majority of CTR's roster but I do wish MK would step up its game a bit.

Last edited:

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I can totes see why people arent fans of crash characters, it's very much something you'd have to grow up with to have a fondness for. Still i like en a lot and mario kart will always be inferior roster wise since it has a tendency to cut cult fav characters in favour of babies and metal characters.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017

-FAY (Fasty)
-CCK (Chick)
-STW (Stew
-RRA (Rilla Roo)
-YYA (Yaya)

I cannot fucking believe they're seriously adding that last character on the list. Jesus Christ. I love it, but I'd have never in a million years seriously expected it.

Also I like how the three letter identifier format apes CNK's. It reminds me of more innocent days of yore, trying to figure out what SCR meant on the character list. Ah, good times.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, touche indeed, it's been years since I've touched Mario Kart 8.

Still the concept of grinding for unlockables that can be bought with real-world money instead seems super scummy.

I don't disagree, and if there's one big criticism I have for this game is the continued use of it. There's only minor nitpicks otherwise for me.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot fucking believe they're seriously adding that last character on the list. Jesus Christ. I love it, but I'd have never in a million years seriously expected it.

Also I like how the three letter identifier format apes CNK's. It reminds me of more innocent days of yore, trying to figure out what SCR meant on the character list. Ah, good times.
Just looked it a up and WOW that is a deep cut. You can't say the people working on this game don't know their stuff.

(Can we please start letting Fang back into spin-offs Sega?!?)

Nov 2, 2017
Ok I really regret bringing up the comparison at all, Was not trying to instill this kind of negativity around either game, I like both games.

In a lot of ways I get that people don't care about Crash's deeper cast but the amount of raw fan demand that gets heard is so amazing, that's what I'm trying to share. A good chunk of those characters in the bonus slot were asked for and delivered on.

You did nothing wrong imo. You gave praise to Crash but a lot of people interpreted it as you shitting on MK. This game is great and Beenox went above and beyond with the fan service.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

-FAY (Fasty)
-CCK (Chick)
-STW (Stew
-RRA (Rilla Roo)
-YYA (Yaya)

Datamine also shows it's getting Grand Prix's up until its 1 year anniversary. Guess the success is allowing them to support the game a lot longer.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this game but OP has a point

I WISH Nintendo was putting "who?!?!" characters in Mario Kart. Give me Fawful, Popple from the Mario & Luigi, give us some Paper Mario characters rendered in 3D for the first time. Throw in DK characters, WarioLand/Ware characters. LM3 just released with a fuckton of potential new ghost drivers!

Im completely opposed to Smash Kart replacing Mario Kart because contrary to lots of others' beliefs, Nintendo has not NEARLY mined the potential Mario roster to it's full potential at all. Kind of pathetic given the potential it has to put some under appreciated characters in the spotlight.

Seriously, I agree whole heartedly with you. The potential of the Mario universe feels completely squandered and I don't feel like guest characters from other Nintendo series is the answer.

Like even if they didn't want to use spinoff characters from RPGs, DK, or Wario series, they still have a ton of options. There are a ton of veterans people want to see back like Funky and Birdo. Also there are so many Mario mainstays like Kamek, Boom Boom, and Hammer Bro that haven't made it in yet. Brand new characters featured in recent games like Cappy and Tiara are available. It is just absolute madness how the roster of Mario Kart is this much of an exclusive club at turning away characters.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just looked it a up and WOW that is a deep cut. You can't say the people working on this game don't know their stuff.

(Can we please start letting Fang back into spin-offs Sega?!?)

That character's addition was pretty much inevitable. They are by far the most requested character within the fanbase, and given that the DLC will continue to be released, it was going to happen sooner or later.
Given the fact that by this point, getting every named character from the entire series playable in this game and maybe even some bonus additions like scrapped characters from previous games (one of the skins for Coco is such a scrapped character, by the way) is a feasible outcome is pretty crazy.

Say what you will about many of these characters being "nobodies", but for the fans of the games they appeared in, it's awesome. This game's a huge love letter to the series and its fans.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Damn I'm not used to this kind of salt on Resetera lol a lot of people seem bothered on the first couple of pages. CTR has much more replay-ability and content than any other kart game I've played this generation and I'd love for Mario Kart (for example) to take notes for its next entry.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
"Nintendo Is Allowing Players To Cancel Their Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Orders Because Crash Has A Bigger Dick Than Yours"

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Do the characters from past Grand Prix events still show up in the shop, or does one have to wait to get those now? I guess FOMO turned me off of continuing to play CTR, but the grind was an issue as well. ha

Still, it's awesome how many characters there are, and for the most part, how varied they are.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Its is true Mario Kart would gain a ton of happiness from players if they went the "crazy" route and started adding character from wario ware and land, paper mario, Luigis mansion and Mario and Luigi. Seeing a lot of those characters rendered finally in 3d (or looking amazing in HD in the case of paper mario) would be delightful.
Metal versions and babies were absolutely dreadful and the worst part of the incredible mario kart 8.

Even then, while it would work fantastically fro Mario Kart, as even the spin off Mario games are incredibly beloved games, Crash Bandicoot is a little naff when they start adding characters after the psx era games, majority of those games were incredibly mediocre and clamour for the characters in those is not there. That said, is cool that beenox tried. I would kill for the people who decided characters for mario kart were more open minded like the beenox ones.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been incredibly happy with CTR going above and beyond simply being a remake of the 1999 game. It's awesome that it has become an "everyone is here" for the classic Crash characters too, and I love the post launch support.

I am envious since there are so many obvious additions to Mario Kart that Nintendo hasn't made.
Same, and I'm even more envious that some of the good additions are appearing in Mario Kart Tour with no mainline Mario Kart sequel in sight.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a lot of people misread the OP and had a tantrum.

OP is praising Beenox for diving deep into the Crash franchise and putting in obscure fan favourite characters. Nintendo on the other hand, doesn't do the same for MK - I'm sure people would like to see some more obscure characters (of which Mario has many) like E. Gadd and King Bom-omb get in over babies and metals.

I was initially skeptical of the "who?" characters at first, but Beenox have turned them from bad tier to actually good characters. I like Nash and Zam now, for example. And next month, there's a good chance we'll be seeing God Roo himself.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do the characters from past Grand Prix events still show up in the shop, or does one have to wait to get those now? I guess FOMO turned me off of continuing to play CTR, but the grind was an issue as well. ha

Still, it's awesome how many characters there are, and for the most part, how varied they are.

The first GP's items started getting put back into the stores last month, so 3 months after the initial release. This GP is coming with items from GP2. And from what I've read in regards to rumours/datamines floating around, next month they'll also release some bundles with characters and skins from the past few GPs.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same, and I'm even more envious that some of the good additions are appearing in Mario Kart Tour with no mainline Mario Kart sequel in sight.

I try telling myself that character additions like Pauline and LM King Boo are going to show up in MK9 to stop myself from going insane. Even then the new characters are mostly alts, particularly for Mario and Peach. Its MK8D's roster issues but worse...

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i know they're different characters but come on
screenshot2019-11-08acckr3.png
These look like Nicki Minaj fursonas

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
*eyeroll*
i'm a big crash fan.
loved the originals on PS1 and played them countless times on PSP.
loved the trilogy remake, 100%ed all three games last year.
i've been super excited about a possible new crash platformer.
loved CTR back then, played it a ton on PSP.
literally from the moment the remake was announced at last year's i was super excited, you can check and see i was always posting in the update threads and praising the game and how it looked.
got CTR remake day 1-ish.

you can not like an aspect of something (the cast) without being a fanboy of something else. i like a lot about the game, i've sold my copy but i plan on re-buying it in the future to try all the new tracks.

Maybe next time don't call the cast filler just because you don't like them then? I could see if they were literally shader swaps like Metal Mario or Gold Peach but every character in the game is wholly unique and comes with their own special skins that completely change their designs. You can tell they poured a lot of love into it and it's something to be celebrated with how massive the roster is now. There's nothing wrong with comparing this to Mario Kart and wanting that series to be challenged and improved upon.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I try telling myself that character additions like Pauline and LM King Boo are going to show up in MK9 to stop myself from going insane. Even then the new characters are mostly alts, particularly for Mario and Peach. Its MK8D's roster issues but worse...
True, and I can only hope they don't do a Tanooki Mario/Cat Peach again and just make them alternate costumes and not separate racers in the main games...

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Man, I like Mario Kart too but y'all have gotta respect the hustle here on the part of the devs.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish they added a few more Spyro Characters like Ripto, Bianca from Spyro 3. But overall its a pretty solid roster

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Ok I really regret bringing up the comparison at all, Was not trying to instill this kind of negativity around either game, I like both games.

In a lot of ways I get that people don't care about Crash's deeper cast but the amount of raw fan demand that gets heard is so amazing, that's what I'm trying to share. A good chunk of those characters in the bonus slot were asked for and delivered on.
You have absolutely nothing to regret about your initial post.
All you talked about was about the amount of characters added (conparing to a more popular game MK8, and easier for people that never played CRT to conpare it) and support this game have.
At no point you were negative towards MK8. Is not your fault fanboys get sensitive of the mere mention on MK8.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, in regards to the Nitro Squad girls that people seem to think are exactly the same character:
You just need to watch them in motion and you would completely stop thinking that way. All 5 of them have their unique personality and animations.
And I also would suggest having your eyes examined. They look nothing alike outside of the 2 on the right (Liz and Isabella) having the Dreamworks face.

I wish they added a few more Spyro Characters like Ripto, Bianca from Spyro 3. But overall its a pretty solid roster

It seems very likely we'll get at least one more wave of Spyro characters.
In the initial files, Ripto and the Sorceress also were in the list of planned racers, but they did not appear in the Spyro GP a couple months back.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This MK VS CTR comparison bullshit needs to stop! Everyone with common sense knows CTR is far superior : V

Where's the boar Crash mounts in the first game, tho?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah but I, not a fan of the extended Crash series, don't know/care who those are.

That means that they aren't worth anything in this game which is a celebration of the extended Crash series.

It is also impossible for characters to become interesting in this game. They have to have been so beforehand. Because.

[ Insert overwrought loathing ]

/s

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely considering this or Spyro Black Friday if amazon matches some of the deals

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crash Team Racing may have a large roster but it has a clear problem when it comes to representation towards people of colours and the only one in the game, Papu Pupu, not being displayed in a positive light and resorting to lazy and racist stereotype.

Beenox needs to try harder.

Mario Kart also needs to step up with the people of colour diversity as well, it's frustrating that Nintendo go to in creating new characters is to create clone characters of pre-existing white characters.