• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
If we've got Polar through Baby T. why not the hog?

That poor hog needs to be protected away from Crash Bandicoot at all costs.

giphy.gif

Sep 25, 2018
As some players approach exhaustion leading into the fifth straight month of content updates, I just want to point out that the game has hit a milestone that, for a long time, I thought would be incapable of any kart racer not under Nintendo's branding. CTR's remake has added 18 characters to the game with today's update just now pushing the total to 44. To my knowledge, no kart racer has had a cast this huge. Not only that, but now every single boss from the original franchise is selectable and in the same single title for the first time ever, with certain ones having more spoken dialogue than their entire franchise presence had before.

Beenox may not be perfect but for franchise fans the amount of support and love theyve given to the game is staggering. To me it establishes some true competition to tempt Nintendo to be more creative with their cast decisions moving forward, as CTR's cast is also not as proliferated with additional Mario costumes and baby variants.

aZj2QhY.jpg

And this chicken is here too

I got nothing against your love for the game which I think it's a solid game 7 out of 10 but even if Mario kart 8 deluxe had less characters then what it have now I still would choose Mario kart 8 deluxe.

if I never played both and tried them for the first time I still would pick Mario kart 8 deluxe even if it had less characters

I never even tried all the characters in Mario kart 8 deluxe only 3 that's it

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised at the usual parade seeing red the second they see any combination of words that suggests CTR:NF does something that MK8 doesn't. The title is just a fact, in terms of numbers it has now has overtaken the previous champ, MK8D, to have the largest kart roster of all time. After Team Sonic Racing had such an anemic roster it's cool to have another kart racer with so much content, the genre damn well needs more competition.

Regardless of how good Crash's cast is (trust me, after the original trilogy I dislike the vast majority of them myself), Beenox are digging to the absolute depths of obscurity to pull in basically every character not classified as a generic stage enemy. The teaser for the next Grand Prix even suggests we're getting a character that was accidentally listed in an artist's portfolio as being for CTR, but was actually made for a friend's travel company and had nothing to do with the game beyond years of fan speculation about him. Just how freaking obscure is that?

It's something Mario Kart could do to learn from, a franchise with hundreds of beloved characters that constantly adds unwanted newly created babies and metal reskins instead of long requested favourites like Kamek, Geno, E. Gadd etc. (god knows how many years I'm going to have to wait until I can finally play as Kamek)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Crash Team Racing may have a large roster but it has a clear problem when it comes to representation towards people of colours and the only one in the game, Papu Pupu, not being displayed in a positive light and resorting to lazy and racist stereotype.
I understand the complaint about Papu Papu, but there's like 3 humans in the whole game and they don't seem to plan on adding more.

IvanJCroft

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Venezuela
Thank God ERA isn't the target of this game, so much hate LMFAO, love MK8D (have over 400 hours on it on switch) but this game is waaaay better in terms of gameplay (and content for some)

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I really regret bringing up the comparison at all, Was not trying to instill this kind of negativity around either game, I like both games.

In a lot of ways I get that people don't care about Crash's deeper cast but the amount of raw fan demand that gets heard is so amazing, that's what I'm trying to share. A good chunk of those characters in the bonus slot were asked for and delivered on.

You did nothing wrong to regret about. Fanboys gonna fanboys. Comparing rosters of the only two popular Kart racing games makes sense.

and yes, CTR having a bigger and more diverse roster is a plus for it.

As for the lack of memorable characters, they can always fix that with CTR2 by adding characters from different Activison games instead of just Crash franchise.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's something Mario Kart could do to learn from, a franchise with hundreds of beloved characters that constantly adds unwanted newly created babies and metal reskins instead of long requested favourites like Kamek, Geno, E. Gadd etc. (god knows how many years I'm going to have to wait until I can finally play as Kamek)

I get why Geno is off-limits (he's not owned entirely by Nintendo, after all).
However, I do agree with your point. There are so many cool, beloved characters that never got a chance. Even more so, Mario Kart is such an enormous series that, just like Smash, it could be used to put more obscure characters to the forefront and popularize them. Imagine if Mario Kart featured characters like Captain Syrup - she could be integrated into the greater Marioverse rather than being stuck in an unfortunately dead side series, and maybe even start becoming a minor antagonist or supporting character in mainline Mario games. And I'd bet good money on her becoming really popular really fast. Sassy lady pirate? She's basically bound to be a fan favourite.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So what? They can easily create more human characters and new human characters that are people of colours.
They could if they're gonna implement original characters, but they're gonna focus on adding the remaining characters from the franchise which are all animals or mutants.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
It is forbidden to favor CTR over MK in ERA, didn't you get the memo?

Also MK with MTs GOOD
CTR with MTs BAD

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what? They can easily create more human characters and new human characters that are people of colours.
It's a series that is mostly about anthropomorphic animals. Why should they be forced to to change that? Do you want Sonic to start bringing humans back to? That would just be jarring at that point.

Just do more characters like Megumi who are clearly intended to be a certain ethnicity.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I get why Geno is off-limits (he's not owned entirely by Nintendo, after all).
However, I do agree with your point. There are so many cool, beloved characters that never got a chance. Even more so, Mario Kart is such an enormous series that, just like Smash, it could be used to put more obscure characters to the forefront and popularize them. Imagine if Mario Kart featured characters like Captain Syrup - she could be integrated into the greater Marioverse rather than being stuck in an unfortunately dead side series, and maybe even start becoming a minor antagonist or supporting character in mainline Mario games. And I'd bet good money on her becoming really popular really fast. Sassy lady pirate? She's basically bound to be a fan favourite.

Is Captain Syrup a Nintendo EPD character? If not then it's too bad since she has no chance. When it comes to the Mario Kart roster it's basically Nintendo EPD bonanza witht the exception of Waluigi who was created as filler. You can even see it on the Nintendo guest characters.

It looks like Pauline, Nabbit and maybe the forgettable bunnies are the next characters to shill on Mario spin offs.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't CTR essentially just 4 different character types and everything else is cosmetic? It's not like a fighting game where a new character has a different style to everyone else.

I mean, people spend 100s of dollars on lootboxes on Overwatch to hope to get skins for their character who they only see the gun of outside of killcams.

Imagine how boring Mario Kart would be if it was just Mario.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if I'm not a fan of every Crash character who gets added, I'm glad they're bringing them back because there are people who *are* a fan of them. It's admirable when of characters they've added since launch, only 2 of them are "clones" (Baby Crash and Baby Coco) out of like 18 characters.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Captain Syrup a Nintendo EPD character? If not then it's too bad since she has no chance. When it comes to the Mario Kart roster it's basically Nintendo EPD bonanza witht the exception of Waluigi who was created as filler. You can even see it on the Nintendo guest characters.

It looks like Pauline, Nabbit and maybe the forgettable bunnies are the next characters to shill on Mario spin offs.

I'm aware of the circumstances. I just don't agree with their decision to keep it to EPD characters only.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I don't really care about the more modern Crash characters except maybe Nina but it's really cool we actually got every single character from the ND trilogy.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
More to the topic at hand I actually like the fact that they are adding obscure characters for the IP and hell even picking some random bottom of the barrel stuff.

This is the kind of stuff that I wanted for the Sonic Racing game since this time they went with Sonic only but instead the roster just added the basics and 15 characters was pathetic. In the end it was lacking in fanservice even by limiting to one IP.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
i know they're different characters but come on
screenshot2019-11-08acckr3.png

and it's just not them. the original cast from the PS1 game is good but they keep adding these nobodies and pulling from these mediocre games ver few people cared about. it's not really a good cast imo.

edit: i think the post launch support as far as adding new tracks regularly has been excellent tho. credit where credit is due.
I mean is it that different from Mario Kart?
BFcr3ha.png

It's just a problem with women in games in general. Where men get wildly different body shapes and then the women are mostly just hair and clothing swaps.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How do you unlock all that content in Crash?

Every time I see those season updates, I'm worried that if I don't play during that month, I'm going to permanently miss out on skins and unlocks and stuff.

I don't own the game and I already have FOMO.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University

Every time I see those season updates, I'm worried that if I don't play during that month, I'm going to permanently miss out on skins and unlocks and stuff.

I have the game and I get the same feeling. I think it's great that there's so many characters, but it's tough to play since I play this more on a casual level, so there's a good chance I'll never see any of them.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

I have the game and I get the same feeling. I think it's great that there's so many characters, but it's tough to play since I play this more on a casual level, so there's a good chance I'll never see any of them.
Seems like stuff becomes a permanent addition after 3 months.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Every month there's been three characters, one that is unlocked as a reward for completing the first tier of the battle pass (around 2 hours of gameplay, even less if you're trying to unlock it) and two that are unlockable for 1500 coins each. After they've been out for two months, they return.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Some content is unlockable at all times via some of the modes.
Some content is evergreen in the in-game store. You get in-game currency via playing the game.
The season-specific content is time-sensitive, but they've been re-releasing the content 3 months after it initially came out, and seem to be aiming to keep re-releasing bundles and single items for those that did miss out.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
disappointing

playing as a powerup in mario kart would be funny

imagine rolling around as a blue shell or a bunch of bananas lol

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also still the best kart racer out there. This revival of it, much like the revival of the trilogy, just goes to show that Crash games were always good.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Crash Roster is better than MK8 Roster IMO, mostly because I can play as any character I want due to Engine swap, while with MK I'm pigeonholed into the same 6 or so.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I hope MK takes CTRs wide ranging roster on board, definitely a huge plus point on Beenox's side. They're really getting the deep cuts for fans of the series and that should be applauded - I don't know who any of them are myself despite having played quote a few Crash games but I'm not going to say no to more characters

I love MK, but I get disappointed every time I see the roster filled with babies and multiple variations of mario and peach. Definitely needs a refresh especially as there's plenty of still pretty well-known untapped Mario universe characters to choose from