• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely fantastic. They've addressed so many complaints with regular updates, and new content is a joy to play with.

Totally on board with more content like this and a next gen sequel by the same team. My only remaining concern is that every version is still locked at 30 fps, such a shame for a top tier remake.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like CTR but what they've done with the roster is great.
They went all out on the roster and it just makes you think how much Mario kart is missing out by not having characters like Tom Nook, Callie and Marie, Zelda etc.
Like come on how dope would it be to be smoking fools as Tom Nook

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I actually kinda hate about half of the characters on offer (I'm really not a fan of the Nitro Kart roster) but I appreciate their inclusion - they're a diverse and wacky bunch. Especially in contrast to what MK8 offers.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
It's a real shame this isn't on PC. A recent, good, kart racer would be nice.

How's this game on Switch, particularly handheld mode? Might pick it up.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
One has a lot of characters not many people are familiar with and the other has stupid clones left and right despite the series' universe having a plethora of great characters.

Huge rosters with debatable quality...

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Mario Karters getting their knickers bunched up over this, it's hilarious.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
My only concern in CTR is that the roster is there, yet I don't have access to it since either I have missed events or wasn't good enough to earn enough to unlock them.

So I have a bunch of grayed out portraits that I might be able to unlock at some point, but who knows.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Any of y'all haters wanna sell off CTR I posted in the BST thread. I'm curious about this. Haven't played MK in a long while...

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also not just characters being added, they add new skins all the time too. And they're not just boring color swaps, think more like Overwatch with actual themes and aesthetics.
Yup. The different skin themes each have different animations that give a lot of personality as well.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Since we're getting that discussion I unironically prefer CTR's cast to MK8, the latter actually putting the effort to deliver the most conservative and safe roster I have ever seen. God forbid they don't put a focus tested character that is decided through popularity. 0 imagination, the roster of CTR is fun, the roster of MK8 has no surprises. None.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are mad about this lol
Comparing a game positively to Mario frequently triggers the Mario defense complex of neurons in the brain. The result is anger, downplaying, denial, and repeating the phrase "<insert game> was never good."

It's a real shame this isn't on PC. A recent, good, kart racer would be nice.

How's this game on Switch, particularly handheld mode? Might pick it up.
Pretty solid 30 FPS, but the resolution is bad. Still fun.

But it really does need to come to PC. The lack of a 60 FPS option is pretty bad for a game that's so focused on its driving controls.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you're not a fan of the post-Naughty Dog games, it's nice to have so many different characters to choose from. Divorcing characters from kart stats especially helps with that.

They added the ability to buy wumpa coins with real money.

It's easy to get what you want from the shop without paying real money or grinding, but it's still slimy as hell adding microtransactions a couple months after a game comes out.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Even if you're not a fan of the post-Naughty Dog games, it's nice to have so many different characters to choose from. Divorcing characters from kart stats especially helps with that.

They added the ability to buy wumpa coins with real money.

It's easy to get what you want from the shop without paying real money or grinding, but it's still slimy as hell adding microtransactions a couple months after a game comes out.
Yeah, adding this shit after review windows is so scummy across the board.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Good on CTR. They really seem to be delivering quality updates, and I'm glad Mario Kart has more serious competition now.

I remember being pretty annoyed by how terrible the character selection is in MK8, when I played it on Wii U.
Give me some fun characters like Kamek, Nabbit, Spike, King Bob-Omb, E. Gadd, Pauline, Petey Piranha, Tatanga, and Wart already.
I will say: I didn't like Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach, but with the release of Luigi's Mansion 3, I can't help but think how well Gooigi would fit in that list.

Tho I think they're going to add more big Nintendo characters from other series, rather than putting more Mario characters in. Zelda and Animal Crossing did a way better job at selling DLC than Nabbit ever could.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter when 1) most of said cast is completely unappealing, 2) the majority said cast are locked behind either grand prix events or limited time availability in the in-game store, and 3) said store requires you to grind a fuckton for coins.

Also, CTR is an overrated kart racer. I was honestly expecting a lot better considering the praise I've heard heaped on it, gameplay-wise it really doesn't hold a candle to Mario Kart 8 overall. Bought it mainly for Spyro, myself, and will probably finish the singleplayer campaign and then never touch it again.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It doesn't matter when 1) most of said cast is completely unappealing, 2) the majority said cast are locked behind either grand prix events or limited time availability in the in-game store, and 3) said store requires you to grind a fuckton for coins.

Also, CTR is an overrated kart racer. I was honestly expecting a lot better considering the praise I've heard heaped on it, gameplay-wise it really doesn't hold a candle to Mario Kart 8 overall.
Personally Mario Kart doesn't feel as good to control as CTR. It's probably the air braking or holding faster boost reserves. Feels really good once you know most of the mechanics.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I mean that's cool but why does it gotta be a competition or compared to other things? Things can be good without other things being called worse.

BU8wB7CCEAAickX.jpg

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Both rosters kind of suck, honestly. Crash characters are hideous and unlocking them is a pain, and MK8 has far too many babies and Koopalings.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Id say I love how the game is all these events. That's something I wish Mario kart did..

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally Mario Kart doesn't feel as good to control as CTR. It's probably the air braking or holding faster boost reserves. Feels really good once you know most of the mechanics.

I'm far to skeptical of this when the controls are crap (seriously, had to use Remote Play and a program that lets me use a different controller and rebind the controls properly to actually get a decent control scheme working) and the drifting makes it seemingly impossible to avoid crashing into walls on some tracks. Also, the way drifting works makes you either have to look at a meter squirreled away in the corner (and thus away from the road) or rely on wheel effects that are a bit unclear, especially with some wheel sets.

I mean, you do you, I guess, but MK8 is way more intuitive and better-feeling to control.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Op wasn't required to put MK8 in the title you know. It was irrelevant and they shit up their own thread by doing so. If you want to blame anyone for bringing up Mario Kart, blame them. The only insecure people I see floating around are the ones who feel they constantly need to compare the two to try and bolster CTR. No one is losing sleep over this.

If CTR has set a new record how you can not mention the previous record holder?

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm far to skeptical of this when the controls are crap (seriously, had to use Remote Play and a program that lets me use a different controller and rebind the controls properly to actually get a decent control scheme working) and the drifting makes it seemingly impossible to avoid crashing into walls on some tracks. Also, the way drifting works makes you either have to look at a meter squirreled away in the corner (and thus away from the road) or rely on wheel effects that are a bit unclear, especially with some wheel sets.

I mean, you do you, I guess, but MK8 is way more intuitive and better-feeling to control.
Smoke from your exhaust pipe becoming black indicates when to boost just like the original CTR.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Biggest kart racing roster of all time" seems like a worthwhile milestone to mention.

And I mean, you can complain about most of them being characters no one really cares about, but I mean, MK8D has seven Koopalings, five baby versions, and Mario in a raccoon outfit, so it's not like the bar is super high.

isn't it a Tanooki suit?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Crash was my favourite Kart racer ever and I'll be buying it on a black Friday or holiday sale. Great to hear it's got amazing post launch content.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sad that many people didn't like the Koopalings in MK8, for me they were a major inclusion and I love them.

But congrats to CTR, seems like the game has a ton of content, Nintendo should definitely include even more content in the next Mario Kart game and update it constantly.

I feel like MK8D could have even more DLC, game sells very well, I would be there for another season pass, because the ones they added in the original, they ended up being the best tracks in the game.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Such an incredible game with such incredible support. The best kart racer period.

Always fun seeing people get so defensive over Mario Kart. Competition is good. And this is a hell of a competition.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad that many people didn't like the Koopalings in MK8, for me they were a major inclusion and I love them.

the issue with the Koopaling is while they were neat, the fact is that they were starting to get added to like every mario related thing from that point onward so they fell into the group of the same old mario stuff you see all the time

plus they do take a up a big part of the roster

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what's so egregious about pointing this out. Heaven forbid a kart racer ends up surpassing Mario Kart in having the biggest roster I guess?

Mario Kart is serious stuff i guess.

Because Baby Rosalina or Pink gold peach are iconic, recognizable and interesting characters (lmao).

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In racers and fighters I always end up using just one or two characters. I find one I like and I just stick with them.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Kart is serious stuff i guess.

Because Baby Rosalina or Pink gold peach are iconic, recognizable and interesting characters (lmao).
They're not but neither is the overwhelming majority of CTR's roster

Such an incredible game with such incredible support. The best kart racer period.

Always fun seeing people get so defensive over Mario Kart. Competition is good. And this is a hell of a competition.
Unlike people getting defensive over CTR? Let's not pretend that CTR fans don't try to bolster CTR by putting down MK whereas I never see CTR brought up in positive MK threads to put it down. It's got nothing to do with competition

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, adding this shit after review windows is so scummy across the board.
It's also hard to recommend the game after the Hong Kong shit. Yeah, Beenox had nothing to do with it, but it's still under Activision.

You have far more control over your drifting trajectory in CTR than Mario Kart. Like it's not even fucking close.

You can basically make every turn in CTR with a combination of drifting and hopping at any speed, with air braking only being necessary for a few of them. And if all else fails, you can brake for tight turns just like in Mario Kart.

I actually got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after playing Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled, and one of the hardest things to get used to was how less flexibility Mario Kart offers for turning.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
So if I consider the roster of MK8 too big already I should avoid CTR? Woah, thanks for the tip OP.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Mario kart is dull after the new updates from Crash Racing.

The only thing I enjoy now in Mario kart is the animated backgrounds but that's about it now.

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It was a jab at the notion that just more for the sake of more is good. Plus like others pointed out about name dropping other games for the sake of it.
The whole purose of the thread was the OP comparing that CTR was pulling every character in the CTR IP into the game while Mario Kart was keeping their roster boring because of them playing safe and having clones like metal characters and babies.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart is like the New England Patriots of kart racers. Sure, it's boring seeing the same dudes playing for the ship every year, a roster that's easy to predict, with a few stars and the rest filled out with guys that would be nobodies if they ever went somewhere else...every year we think "they can't possibly do this again", and we're so ready for some legit competition. Thing is, they've figured out a winning formula that is so effective, nobody has been able to repeat it. Why fix what isn't broken?

Also, the fact that every single CTR fan has to bring up Mario Kart in order to plead their case for CTR's merit kinda says which one is superior. It shouldn't be this deep for anyone, and it shouldn't be hard to let CTR stand on its own merits, but here we are.