• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds cool. Plus it will be $15 at Target on Black Friday

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The whole purose of the thread was the OP comparing that CTR was pulling every character in the CTR IP into the game while Mario Kart was keeping their roster boring because of them playing safe and having clones like metal characters and babies.
It's kinda ridiculous just how comprehensive the roster is.

Every named character from the Naughty Dog trilogy (bar Aku Aku and Uka Uka since they're items) is playable here. Every character playable in a previous Crash Racing game is playable here.

When the most popular characters still not in the game are the fake version of Velo, the parrots from Twinsanity, Yaya Panda, and Rilla fucking Roo, it's clear we've got a pretty good roster.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the fact that every single CTR fan has to bring up Mario Kart in order to plead their case for CTR's merit kinda says which one is superior. It shouldn't be this deep for anyone, and it shouldn't be hard to let CTR stand on its own merits, but here we are.
Just because you only start paying attention to CTR discussions when someone dares mention Mario Kart doesn't mean people are constantly comparing the two.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm far to skeptical of this when the controls are crap (seriously, had to use Remote Play and a program that lets me use a different controller and rebind the controls properly to actually get a decent control scheme working)

At the risk of stating the obvious, that one might be an issue specific to you. I've not heard of anyone else having to go these lengths.

...and the drifting makes it seemingly impossible to avoid crashing into walls on some tracks. Also, the way drifting works makes you either have to look at a meter squirreled away in the corner (and thus away from the road) or rely on wheel effects that are a bit unclear, especially with some wheel sets.

I mean, you do you, I guess, but MK8 is way more intuitive and better-feeling to control.

Mariokart is certainly easier to control well, I'll give you that. It's fairly well established by this point that there's a bit of a learning curve with CTR, especially in terms of drift-boosting.

Even my sisters know who the koopalings are, maybe not by name but you really tryna campare to king fucking chicken? Fuck outta my face with this stupid ass post.

Pretty rich given you were right there on the first page bristling with excitement to show everyone your super clever, extra spicy new drive-by post.

Oct 25, 2017
Still doesn't have the Warthog ! The original mount from crash 1

but yes, they have released a ton of content post launch. Really great support.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Still doesn't have the Warthog !

It's only a matter of time

latest

JUST TRY RIDING ME NOW

Oct 25, 2017
It's only a matter of time

latest

JUST TRY RIDING ME NOW
Holy shit haha. That would certainly be one way of doing it.

I googled it around launch and I saw this picture on reddit and have been spamming in the ERA CTR discord for months:
Isn't CTR essentially just 4 different character types and everything else is cosmetic? It's not like a fighting game where a new character has a different style to everyone else.
I think it has a lot to do with the characters being characters. Beenox has infused a lot of personality into a lot of them and you hear them trashtalk and comment on the ongoings of the race, they each have some unique animations too when they drive and victory animations if you land in top 3. It's easy to like them even if they are functionally the same.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
Havent played it in a while but isnt most of the CTR roster locked behind seasonal grind or do they auto unlock after a set time period?

I wouldnt mind jumping back in and playing as Spyro if i dont need to grind for him.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Havent played it in a while but isnt most of the CTR roster locked behind seasonal grind or do they auto unlock after a set time period?

I wouldnt mind jumping back in and playing as Spyro if i dont need to grind for him.

The grind is only seasonal for brand new characters, who return as permanent fixtures three months after their introductions.

You still have to play the game to get the currency to buy them, but characters are among the cheaper store items at 1,500 coins a pop. Coins are gained fastest online (especially if you have a friend you can play private matches with), but the past two updates have made offline grinding much more viable than before, with the expanded weekend bonus (doubles coins, used to be online only) and the new mode, Ring Relay, which is pretty fun and pays well.

Also worth noting that all of the original CTR characters are unlocked through adventure mode or other challenges (N. Tropy/Penta). It's only the Nitro Kart characters and GP additions that are in the Pit Stop. The chicken racer they added this GP is also unlocked through an Adventure Mode challenge.

Oct 26, 2017
Just because you only start paying attention to CTR discussions when someone dares mention Mario Kart doesn't mean people are constantly comparing the two.
They're not always compared but, often times, when CTR is brought up, it's often then followed by dunking on MK to prop up CTR, even if the thread has nothing to do with MK. It's not exactly unfair to point out that out, at least no more than when you said that some are defensive over anything Mario related, like you did earlier this thread. I mean, aren't folk here getting incredibly defensive over CTR and its roster?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I didn't play Crash Tag Team Racing and the game sounds terrible from what I know about it, but Pasadena O'Possum's pretty great.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
You know, I didn't play Crash Tag Team Racing and the game sounds terrible from what I know about it, but Pasadena O'Possum's pretty great.
Yep. I was worried when they first showed her render, but it was a case of weird lighting/perspective. She looks great in game. I do wish they'd shake up the voice cast a bit more though; I hear too much Coco in her nonlinguistic sound effects.

But eh, whatever fits the budget.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Strange concept for a thread. Not really sure why it needed to be put up against MK8. "Larger roster" in a kart racer is kind of silly if the majority are generic characters that most people don't care about. CTR is great because it's a great game but aside from a couple duds like Pink Rose Peach, MK8 clearly has the better roster simply by having characters people know and like.

King Chicken is pretty fantastic though.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it helps a lot that the characters has so much personality in CTR. I only played the original ps1 games growing up, but I dig a ton of the new characters just based on their expressive personalities in the game. Also love the skins that completely change up the character look/personality like the Pirate Papu Papu or Dark Coco. They are sort of like legendary skins for other games where they have some of their own animations and everything.

Last edited:

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix the switch loading times yet? That was the main complaint I had with the game tbh

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Characters seem nice, just wish they werent so annoying to get.....

I gave this game a shot since I loved the game on PS1, the drifting felt weird at first but I was getting used to it. Knowing every shortcut seems mandatory for this game though. My biggest gripe with this game is the item rng being unbalanced as hell.....like I never remembered it being that bad on PS1, its basically what made me drop the game honestly, each online match I had at the time, no matter how decent you were with drifts and getting sacred flame, if you did one mistake and fall behind, items will barely help you catch up since it feels like everyone has the same chance to get good items, no matter what place you were in, so people who are usually top 3 would be impossible to catch up to. in mario kart it makes sense that the person who is in the lead has a lower chance to get the good items to give the other players a chance, but that player can still maintain the lead as long as they are skilled and play smart with their limited item pool......I feel like this does not exist in the Crash Racer.

Am I alone in thinking this way about the items? Note that I stopped playing before the second set of DLC was released so I have no idea if they updated in that aspect.

Oct 25, 2017

I gave this game a shot since I loved the game on PS1, the drifting felt weird at first but I was getting used to it. Knowing every shortcut seems mandatory for this game though. My biggest gripe with this game is the item rng being unbalanced as hell.....like I never remembered it being that bad on PS1, its basically what made me drop the game honestly, each online match I had at the time, no matter how decent you were with drifts and getting sacred flame, if you did one mistake and fall behind, items will barely help you catch up since it feels like everyone has the same chance to get good items, no matter what place you were in, so people who are usually top 3 would be impossible to catch up to. in mario kart it makes sense that the person who is in the lead has a lower chance to get the good items to give the other players a chance, but that player can still maintain the lead as long as they are skilled and play smart with their limited item pool......I feel like this does not exist in the Crash Racer.

Am I alone in thinking this way about the items? Note that I stopped playing before the second set of DLC was released so I have no idea if they updated in that aspect.
This has been updated a bit. Catchup mechanics could still be better and so could frames of invicibility after getting hit but they have done item rebalancing, so the first place can only get some items, introduced an item to races that used to be exclusively for battlemode, which provides a longer boost of fire (and blue fire if you have 10 coins) and added skill based matchmaking for online matches. They also made stuff like orbs more rare.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

They've tweaked items quite a bit, though largely to reduce the more annoying items, plus adding in the super turbo from the battle mode. It's made races a little less miserable (thanks to the practical extinction of the clock, which rarely served a purpose other than to annoy all those affected), but it will not close the skill gaps between players.

1st place can only get turbos, droppables, bombs, and shields. That said, if they've broken away, items aren't going to help you catch them. The offensive items in CTR are pretty crappy for use at high speeds (which you'll want to be going to get or catch up to 1st), existing mostly for players in the same vicinity to screw each other over while players ahead widen the gap. Even the warp orb that's made for targeting 1st typically is too slow to catch 1st place in any worthwhile timeframe, assuming they don't have a shield or get lucky and avoid it on a jump or a split in the track. If anything, items are most useful for 1st place, as they can drop obstacles to block off shortcuts or good lines while almost never having to fear what lies ahead of them.

A lot of folks have been clamoring for an itemless mode in online, as the item design in CTR doesn't jive well with the game's high level play.

They did implement skill-based match making to try and group players with others around their level, but I'm sure it takes some time for it to settle you in, and YMMV on how effective it is.

Oct 28, 2017
CTR: NF is really an amazing feat, I've never seen a game include so much fanservice for a broad and expansive series like Crash Bandicoot. It does it better than Mario Kart which couldn't even give us Diddy Kong in the last console game. It really is the "EVERYONE IS HERE" of Crash Bandicoot.

Oct 28, 2017
Threads like these bring out troglodytes of the worst kind.

Especially this one.
People are really using this thread to express their disdain for characters in the Crash universe. This thread is about commending Beenox's effort to include these relatively obscure characters in a game that celebrates the series and asking why Nintendo can't do the same for Mario. If a Mario Kart game had the same sensibilities for it's roster as CTR, we would already have E. Gadd, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Mona, Captain Syrup, etc. I want that to happen in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Using the roster as a selling point is weird. I fucking love this franchise, but the entire cast of this game is literally who lmao.

My other issue with the expanded roster is, sure it's nice to have this variety. But it is such a pain in the ass to unlock just a single character in the game. It's not fun!

I don't get the constant need from CTR fans to prove how much better it is than Mario Kart. Again, I adore Crash and CTR specifically is one of my favorite childhood games. But you don't need to make this a competition. Wanting Mario Kart to be better is fine, but the discourse around MK vs CTR isn't about that and more about justifying their fandom.

We stan King Chicken btw.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In racers and fighters I always end up using just one or two characters. I find one I like and I just stick with them.

CTR actually encourages using other characters. Most of the roster's recolour skins are unlockable by winning races with them, and every GP season uses a different set of characters giving extra point bonuses for earning the seasonal score to unlock those items. Detaching stats from the characters also allows you to play any and all character you want without any repercussions. So even though I will always gravitate towards using Pinstripe as my main character, I've warmed up a lot to some of the characters I used to be pretty indifferent on such as Papu Papu, Geary or Ami.

Beenox did extremely well making all of the characters charming and fairly unique with animations and voicelines. They all have a lot of personality. Even the baby variants of Crash and Coco we got are somewhat different. Baby Crash is legit adorable.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It seems very likely we'll get at least one more wave of Spyro characters.
In the initial files, Ripto and the Sorceress also were in the list of planned racers, but they did not appear in the Spyro GP a couple months back.

Yup

If i had to hazard a guess at themes for the grand prix until may it would be

December - Christmas
January - Chinese New Year (Yaya Panda?)
February - Spyro 2
March - Future Warp
April - Race Day (Racing themed and brings in characters like Viscount and Wumpa Cheeks who wouldn't have a themed opportunity)
May - TwinSanity

That said I wonder if any Mind over Mutant or Crash of the Titans content would ever make it in? Hmm

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix the switch loading times yet? That was the main complaint I had with the game tbh
Loading times are still pretty long.
Using the roster as a selling point is weird. I fucking love this franchise, but the entire cast of this game is literally who lmao.

My other issue with the expanded roster is, sure it's nice to have this variety. But it is such a pain in the ass to unlock just a single character in the game. It's not fun!
???

Play online. You get enough coins to buy a character after a few races.

Unless the character is N Tropy, it should not be any trouble for you to unlock. Like, at all. I got enough coins just playing online today to unlock six characters in the shop.

Last edited:

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
CTR is a good game...nothing the number of drivers are nothing to brag out.. I know none of them other than a few...

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I fucking love this franchise, but the entire cast of this game is literally who lmao

Not every fan is like you. This game is special because it caters to Crash fans of all denominations, including--especially--those who care about the more obscure aspects of the series.

And for people who don't know who these characters are, just... like... maybe come at it with an open mind? Didn't you ever like characters you hadn't heard of before? Or is there some cutoff point where you can only enjoy that which has already been firmly established?

Beenox has managed to imbue them with a lot of charm and characterization just through animation (this game has great character animations) and voice clips. And look, there are characters here that I don't like (I'm looking at you Zem), but why the insistence on sweeping generalizations based upon pretty limited observations?

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup

If i had to hazard a guess at themes for the grand prix until may it would be

December - Christmas
January - Chinese New Year (Yaya Panda?)
February - Spyro 2
March - Future Warp
April - Race Day (Racing themed and brings in characters like Viscount and Wumpa Cheeks who wouldn't have a themed opportunity)
May - TwinSanity

That said I wonder if any Mind over Mutant or Crash of the Titans content would ever make it in? Hmm

GP1, the Twilight GP, was meant to be the motorsport-themed event. Touring the world, hence the motor-themed outfits (Motorsport Nitro Squad + Crunch, Biker Crash and Tiny), while also featuring flags and such.

Also,
December GP is winter themed (its internal name is "Luminous"), and will have Fasty, Yaya Panda, Rilla Roo, Chick and Stew. That has been confirmed 100%, as alt colours also have been found.
They also found that the January GP is referred to as "Dry Lands", which some are speculating might be in reference to the Skelos Badlands from Spyro 2, which would line up with us getting at least one more wave of Spyro characters spearheaded by Ripto, who is by far the most popular villain.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GP1, the Twilight GP, also was meant to be the motorsport-themed event. Touring the world, hence the motor-themed outfits (Motorsport Nitro Squad + Crunch, Biker Crash and Tiny), while also featuring flags and such.

Also,
December GP is winter themed (its internal name is "Luminous"), and will have Fasty, Yaya Panda, Rilla Roo, Chick and Stew. That has been confirmed 100%, as alt colours also have been found.
They also found that the January GP is referred to as "Dry Lands", which some are speculating might be in reference to the Skelos Badlands from Spyro 2, which would line up with us getting at least one more wave of Spyro characters spearheaded by Ripto, who is by far the most popular villain.
Oh wow I missed the latest datamined stuff thanks.

I still have yet to play spyro 2

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
lol at people defending MK8 as if someone offended their parents.

MK8 roster has a lot of flaws and while of course CTR has less known characters, at least they try to expand the roster while avoiding repeating characters and that's something actually pretty good that Nintendo needs to learn.

Fuck the babies and gold versions BTW.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
This has been updated a bit. Catchup mechanics could still be better and so could frames of invicibility after getting hit but they have done item rebalancing, so the first place can only get some items, introduced an item to races that used to be exclusively for battlemode, which provides a longer boost of fire (and blue fire if you have 10 coins) and added skill based matchmaking for online matches. They also made stuff like orbs more rare.
They've tweaked items quite a bit, though largely to reduce the more annoying items, plus adding in the super turbo from the battle mode. It's made races a little less miserable (thanks to the practical extinction of the clock, which rarely served a purpose other than to annoy all those affected), but it will not close the skill gaps between players.

1st place can only get turbos, droppables, bombs, and shields. That said, if they've broken away, items aren't going to help you catch them. The offensive items in CTR are pretty crappy for use at high speeds (which you'll want to be going to get or catch up to 1st), existing mostly for players in the same vicinity to screw each other over while players ahead widen the gap. Even the warp orb that's made for targeting 1st typically is too slow to catch 1st place in any worthwhile timeframe, assuming they don't have a shield or get lucky and avoid it on a jump or a split in the track. If anything, items are most useful for 1st place, as they can drop obstacles to block off shortcuts or good lines while almost never having to fear what lies ahead of them.

A lot of folks have been clamoring for an itemless mode in online, as the item design in CTR doesn't jive well with the game's high level play.

They did implement skill-based match making to try and group players with others around their level, but I'm sure it takes some time for it to settle you in, and YMMV on how effective it is.

Hmm.....might have to update and give it another fair try, really do hope they figure out how to balance that item disbalance.

Thank you two for the info.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not my fault that CTR threads start off with a comparison to Mario Kart. That's a problem with OP in this case. "CTR has the largest roster of any kart racer" hits a lot different than specifically going after Mario Kart lol. If you have to drag down something else in order to make your point about your preferred game, then you don't have a very good point.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's not my fault that CTR threads start off with a comparison to Mario Kart. That's a problem with OP in this case. "CTR has the largest roster of any kart racer" hits a lot different than specifically going after Mario Kart lol. If you have to drag down something else in order to make your point about your preferred game, then you don't have a very good point.
You're saying that like no CTR thread is instantly bombarded with "lol MK is better" posts.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
People are really using this thread to express their disdain for characters in the Crash universe. This thread is about commending Beenox's effort to include these relatively obscure characters in a game that celebrates the series and asking why Nintendo can't do the same for Mario. If a Mario Kart game had the same sensibilities for it's roster as CTR, we would already have E. Gadd, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Mona, Captain Syrup, etc. I want that to happen in the future.

Exactly. Don't care how obscure they are. They've done a great job celebrating the franchise's history.

Welcome to a Crash Bandicoot thread on Era, where the community simply can't help itself but be dickheads.

It's shameful and the usual suspects are here. The circus never leaves town.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this thread made me realize just how little time I gave CTR:NF. I thought it was OK, but the one two punch of the characters being what they are outside of a few standout designs and the horrible loading times on the Switch killed my interest really early on. So with all the new content and characters I got to ask; has anyone here tried playing CTR:NF off a PS4 with a solid state drive and know if it makes any difference (At least for single player/time trial content)?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
CTR also has micro transactions, that they added in after launch, maybe the two are related?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is they also added the update to make characters independent of stats and let you pick the engine type instead.