• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I like Trent as a contrast to Rebecca because in a lot of ways he is heavily playing against the stereotype. He's an obsessive and delusional crazy person, but he's not the Dangerous Stalker type where pushing back against him puts Rebecca in any real physical peril. He's clearly framed as unstable in this episode, but at the same time his only real threat is letting people know Rebecca really tried to hire a hitman to take out Nathaniel's girlfriend. A more balanced and adjusted person would probably actually take that information to Rebecca's therapist, or something. Trying to blackmail her into a relationship is crazy, but Trent's much less of a threat than even Rebecca herself--see her lying to Paula and putting Paula at risk to cover her own ass. They have Rebecca explicitly make it clear he is very big on consent. And when she crosses a line with him, he removes himself from the situation instead of clinging to her forever. There's even the potential that part of his escalating crazy is just him trying to emulate what he's seen Rebecca willing to do for True Love.

I dunno, I just like how the show remains committed to taking characters in directions you wouldn't expect, and I like that they resisted making Trent a Lifetime movie of the week stereotype the same way they've resisted making Valencia the stereotypical bitchy girlfriend.
That's one way to see it. Similar to how Paula was set up to be the "rival" at the beginning of the series but she became Rebecca's mum friend instead.

Trent is still creepy af though, but he is what Rebecca could be, if Rebecca was a man.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to season 1, everyone has a certain level of character developments.
Except Rebecca is more or less the same person. (Less probably, she lost her job.)

I just noticed the actress who plays Jane the Virgin's Petra is in Crazy Ex Girlfriend, E204. If they have a crossover I'd lose my mind!

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love Trent too.
Who I don't love is Valencia's girlfriend.
I like the she has one. And I like what it's doing for her character.
But the actress they picked just isn't working for me.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
The actress delivers all her lines in such a naturalistic way that she sticks out in a bad way. The line readings on this show have a particularly snappy "flavor" that she lacks.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
She's not very memorable. If i had to describe her personality, I wouldn't have much to say. She needs to be more fleshed out.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My OkCupid profile for the next month is just gonna be one sentence:

"Have orchestra tickets to see Crazy Ex-Girlfriend live. Need +1"

Happy Valentine's day.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, they are coming to Seattle and I missed out!

Tbf4ben.gif

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Fixes hair*

Well hello there :P

(Sadly out of town when in NYC)

Yeah, it's the same day as Wrestlemania. Doesn't Rachel Bloom know that there's a major overlap of fans between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and the WWE?! It's basically my backup if my brother has his baby that weekend and New Orleans plans fall apart.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got into the NYC the moment it went up, got Orchestra row D and thought "can I get better?" Opened up on the mobile app and only a handful of single seats were left. That happened in less than 30 seconds.

They should do more shows.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Looks like DC got pushed to Friday. I don't know if there was a first wave that sold out, but either way, I'm jumping on this shit at 10:00am and hoping for a Santino guest appearance.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Uggggh are you kidding me, is my recording going to be interrupted? Preparing myself for anger and disappointment when I get home :(

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
This show and Rebecca's struggles have been such an analog to my (and others') own mental health issues that the turn this episode took surprised me, as did Rebecca's speech at the end, and I felt somehow implicated even though I've (like most people!) never done anything close to that. That's not an issue with the show, but it was a moment where I suddenly felt the tension of my association with this character, and it's making me feel a little weirdly about the finale as a whole.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
What in the hay? I feel sorry for people who watched it live.
I will enjoy it once it's out on the website.

Sharing a cool article from AVClubs
The songs of Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, typically written by Bloom, Jack Dolgen, and Adam Schlesinger, have been great since the beginning. They've never been just jokes, even when they are jokes. But three seasons in, the way those songs are revisited has changed. Perhaps "changed" isn't the right word—"evolved" might be better.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Please be season 4. -begging-

Also, Nothing Is Anyone's Fault was so beautiful at first lmao. And then went downhill....juuuuust a tad. They both need to examine themselves a bit more lol.

I mean, everything was the Big Bang's fault tho.

The ending tho ;_;

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a heartbreaking finale.

Also Josh punching Nathaniel gave me LIFE

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Donna of has two songs with uncontrollable diarrhea lol

Don't know what to think about Rebecca going to prison...

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The ending was horrible. Yes the show is far from realistic, but they at least try to keep the law stuff a little bit real when there is no singing involved. The judge would have just interrupted Rebecca's monologue and demanded a simple guilty or not guilty plea. Why is a Corporate attorney defending her instead of a criminal defense attorney? A criminal defense attorney would know the insanity defense never works and the proper plea would have been not guilty because of defense of others (ie, Nathaniel). Maya, George, and Tim all saw Trent with the knife holding it above Nathaniel's back - why else would someone be holding a knife above someone's back when their back was turned, it wasn't in preparation to cut meat FFS.... A carving knife can still significantly injure someone if plunged into their back (yes not the best choice to kill someone with but it blends in as a waiter at a party). Rebecca's attorney could have also subpoena'd Instagram to get a record of the death threat, and shown the police Trent's Rebecca shrine if it still existed and if destroyed Paula could have been deposed regarding its existence. Very sloppy writing, not quite as bad as Barry's trial on the Flash lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The ending was horrible. Yes the show is far from realistic, but they at least try to keep the law stuff a little bit real when there is no singing involved. The judge would have just interrupted Rebecca's monologue and demanded a simple guilty or not guilty plea. Why is a Corporate attorney defending her instead of a criminal defense attorney? A criminal defense attorney would know the insanity defense never works and the proper plea would have been not guilty because of defense of others (ie, Nathaniel). Maya, George, and Tim all saw Trent with the knife holding it above Nathaniel's back - why else would someone be holding a knife above someone's back when their back was turned, it wasn't in preparation to cut meat FFS.... A carving knife can still significantly injure someone if plunged into their back (yes not the best choice to kill someone with but it blends in as a waiter at a party). Rebecca's attorney could have also subpoena'd Instagram to get a record of the death threat, and shown the police Trent's Rebecca shrine if it still existed and if destroyed Paula could have been deposed regarding its existence. Very sloppy writing, not quite as bad as Barry's trial on the Flash lol.

I'd like to think the season 4 premiere will acknowledge some of those things (after all, season 3 eventually got around to pointing out how weird it was for Valencia to be Rebecca and Josh's wedding planner) - but yeah,as the AV club pointed out, normally when this show kind of winks at the audience when it fudges legal stuff, like "haha yeah it's not realistic but it's also not that important to the actual story" , but that didn't happen here, so it really stands out.

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Paula really is the best character on top of the best singer!

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/crazy-ex-girlfriend-season-3-finale.html

We were robbed a song because Nathaniel's actor was sick! BOooooooooooo.
Too bad, it would have alleviated at least one of the problems I had with the episode (we're moving in together ! => We broke up, she was not my type).

Would have loved to see that (though using the musical cue before the party pretty much accomplished the same thing), though they mention they wouldn't rule out that they might use it later.

SEASON 4 PLEASE.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
What a finale! They fudged the law bit, but the ending was emotional to me. Rebecca finally owned up to her mistakes, and the relationship between Paula and Rebecca has finally mended.
Nathaniel deserves that punch. He better gets some sort of repercussions next season.

I hope we get to see Rebecca in jail, at least for 3-4 episodes, see how she interacts with other prisoners.
The childbirth song was hilarious and real. I loved how Heather was still Heather despite everything. White Josh and Darryl are warming up, that's so nice. Overall it's a very good episode, imo.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I loved seeing Darryl and White Josh in the same room again. Romantic or not, I've missed those two together.

Also, just putting in my agreement on the Josh punching Nathaniel thing - A++

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a chance to read this. A lot of love went into this show.

Loving this quote:
From the outset, McKenna and Bloom envisioned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as a four-season show. "There are very few shows where you're like, 'Oh you've got to really watch season seven.' It's like, 'Eh,'" says Bloom. "We're going through four different cycles: denial; love; turned on him; rebuilding. It was always in those four stages."

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Oh god. As a former federal prosecutor...

The ending was terrible. There's no way she'd be allowed to deliver a fucking soliloquy during arraignment. HOW did she plead guilty to attempted murder? How did her lawyer allow her to do that without interrupting the proceedings?! That alone is complete insanity! I can't believe that was the ending. I realize it was for dramatic effect, but seriously.

I love this show and everything about it; this is the first bit that's ever strained my suspension of disbelief.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I love how lawyer/courtroom scenes always bugs the hell out of everyone

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am sure that if McKenna and Bloom get enough complaints about that final scene, they will make a point of addressing it in the next season. They seem to like to poke fun at their mistakes or leaps in logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.