• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017

This post happened awhile ago but it picked up steam. Going to try this tomorrow.

I will be very excited if it works fairly well.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
A cooking channel I followed delved into this method. It's good, but has some tricks to it:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think NYT Cooking disproved, or at least provided a significant number of caveats to, this method.

Didn't work for me.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the bullshit "you've been eating pineapple wrong!" video from a few months ago, but I'll give it a try.

I usually smash my garlic anyway and don't use a lot in bulk, so it doesn't really matter for me.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys, this doesn't work

PiinIFQ.gif

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
yeah this was floating around a while ago
it also doesn't really work well unless your garlic is super fresh apparently. i had no luck

this is the actual best way to peel garlic anyway:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit magical. Not quite to the level of my wife's peeling of pomegranate, but still.

I think NYT Cooking disproved, or at least provided a significant number of caveats to, this method.

Didn't work for me.

Ah, what were the caveats?

My method of applying pressure to individual pieces to peel them (smash-and-peel as I see above) works alright, this seems like t would save even more time.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Cutting the roots using a small sharp knife first sounds way too dangerous for me, I think I'll leave it thanks.

Would the shaking method work with bowls that aren't stainless steel?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love garlic so I will definitely be checking out the bowl method.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I guess you could not do the whole clove, but in my head I would be worried that people will go out and do the whole clove and store it or something. While not realizing the alliin creation only lasts a few days. I would also fear of rot if you did this and stored them after, but not 100% on the second one.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
If I'm cooking something sous vide, I'll just smash it with a knife and throw it in the bag. If I'm 'mincing' or something, I cut the flat end off and use that to help peel it since I always use my Microplane to get it 'minced.'

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Peeling garlic was something considered difficult enough to require hacks?
At home no, but large amounts of garlic does require some sort of cheat, all food items do in a professional kitchen.
First time seeing the one in the OP though, that looks like the garlic needs to be super dry before it gains any humidity from the fridge so that the skin doesn't stick to it. Baaically useless on a daily level. Smash and clean is still my perferres method, therehave beem very few instances were I needed a whole clove to warrant actually cleaning it.