• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/crazy-rich-asians-tracking-opening-1202886915/

Crazy Rich Asians is looking at a crazy solid opening weekend at the box office. Early tracking numbers estimate that the Jon M. Chu romantic-comedy based on the Kevin Kwan novel of the same name will open to a respectable $18 million. Not crazy rich, but not crazy terrible either.

Variety reports that tracking numbers for Crazy Rich Asians show definite interest in the film at 31%, leading to early estimates of a $20 million opening for the film's five-day launch starting Wednesday, according to Variety.

Warner Bros. has released its own tracking, which shows the debut at $18 million.

For a romantic-comedy, a genre that has seen a decline at the box office in recent years, this is not a bad box office opening. The highest opening for a recent rom-com was 2015's Trainwreck, which debuted to $30 million.
It opens the same weekend as Alpha. I might have to wait for Alpha on dvd. I only see movies opening weekend.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Only all asian cast movie I have seen on commercials since crouching tiger hidden dragon

Props to them

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in John Cho's Searching. It's the first time I've seen an Asian American family depicted in an American movie. I'm also happy Cho finally got a leading man role:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/07/john-cho-starring-searching

Two Years After #StarringJohnCho, John Cho Is Finally a Leading Man
"I want the future to be where it's completely normal to see an Asian-American family on-screen," the actor and star of Searching said.

Cho also recently was a leading man in the indie movie Columbus:

He's finding a niche in indie movies.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in John Cho's Searching. It's the first time I've seen an Asian American family depicted in an American movie. I'm also happy Cho finally got a leading man role:

out in select theaters
means it won't be anywhere close to me

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It looks pretty mediocre, but this is a godsend for Asian representation. I'm going to go see it.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not surprising it'll do modestly good because the book had a pretty big fanbase

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty mediocre, but this is a godsend for Asian representation. I'm going to go see it.
Honestly that is true equality, when everyone can be mediocre and still succeed. I want to see an asian Kevin James, and a spanish Josh Duamel

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news, but also terrible news for Emma Stone & ScarJo.

We need him as Namor pronto.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
John Cho been doing great work lately. Columbus was one of the best movies last year

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be seeing it. I'm a sucker for rom-coms though, usually don't see them in theaters but I'm all for supporting diversity, plus the cast is pretty good.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never heard of this film until this thread. Just watched the trailer and yep it's a romantic comedy. Although it seems extremely light on the comedy part.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is it? Looks like it just plays on every imaginable Asian stereotype.
Baffles me that people recognize this movie as looking like dogshit, but they still have to "support" it because of the cast. About as clueless as people dogging on Facebook, but are still using WhatsApp and Instagram.

People need to stop taking half-measures on what they believe in, for fucks sake.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It opens the same weekend as Alpha. I might have to wait for Alpha on dvd. I only see movies opening weekend.
I have so many questions.

Why do you only watch movies on opening weekends?
Why would one movie potentially doing better financially than another cause you to not go watch the other one?
Why can't you watch both in one weekend if you want to see both?
What's Alpha and why is it an Oscar contender?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this looks good. Didn't realize it was coming soon (or that Alpha looked Oscar-worthy lol).

It's more than likely something I'll catch on Netflix or HBO Go or whatever, but I'm rooting for it.

Baffles me that people recognize this movie as looking like dogshit, but they still have to "support" it because of the cast. About as clueless as people dogging on Facebook, but are still using WhatsApp and Instagram.

People need to stop taking half-measures on what they believe in, for fucks sake.

Meh.

If they just wanna see a film with a diverse cast succeed so they can maybe keep getting them, more power to em. Nothing really baffling about that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks like a ton of fun, and I'm super stoked to see such a prominently Asian cast. Very excited to see it.

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, if it was the same story but with white leads, I wouldn't be interested. But the all-Asian cast is what sold me on it, and I'm okay with that.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Constance Wu deserves all her duckets....and give her an Emmy for Fresh Off the Boat

Awkwafina is also on the come up...she went from doing awkward YouTube interviews in NYC stores to starring alongside Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017

What type of 'full-measure' do you expect people to do? If this bombs, I guarantee you Holywood execs will say "See. This bombed because of the all Asian cast. We need white people to succeed."

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Alpha gets an Oscar for the trailer that I'm tired of seeing each time I go to the theater.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many questions.

Why do you only watch movies on opening weekends?
Why would one movie potentially doing better financially than another cause you to not go watch the other one?
Why can't you watch both in one weekend if you want to see both?
What's Alpha and why is it an Oscar contender?
*Laughs* I see you are a not a true Kino fan

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

A "bad" (I don't think it looks bad) movie with a majority white cast failing won't hurt the future of white casted movies... Not so true for minority majority casts like this one.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Almost like films about underrepresented groups flopping are used like a permanent strike against said-groups while this is not true for white people.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, if it was the same story but with white leads, I wouldn't be interested. But the all-Asian cast is what sold me on it, and I'm okay with that.

The same applies to almost all movies. Casting makes or breaks them and there's nothing wrong with being more interested in a story if it stars people you want to watch. Jon Chu wouldn't make that movie with a white cast either.