• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What type of 'full-measure' do you expect people to do? If this bombs, I guarantee you Holywood execs will say "See. This bombed because of the all Asian cast. We need white people to succeed."
Wrong. We don't need to support on the basis that it features an all Asian cast. Projects like Better Luck Tomorrow, Gook, or My Life in China would be better examples to support. Transposing yellow faces onto a universal story with a sprinkle of Asian flavor doesn't do it for me.

For example, we don't need to support Chloe Bennet just because she's a hapa when she's dating and defending Logan Paul. Constance Wu gets my side eye too when she said she has no problem taking up racist roles as long as she's paid more than the white cast. Not to mention that most Asian men need to be supermen in order to be the lead in almost any production, otherwise you're left with Matthew Moy in 2 Broke Girls or that comedy show on BBC that features Chinese women that shit all over Asian guys.

Not all representation is good representation. Support it if you want, but I don't have to just because I'm Asian too.

John is cool as fuck. I met him like 6 years ago.

He's also the only reason I watched this terrible ass show

Haha...I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Off Centre. He's woke as fuck too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I'm more interested in John Cho's Searching. It's the first time I've seen an Asian American family depicted in an American movie. I'm also happy Cho finally got a leading man role:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/07/john-cho-starring-searching

Cho also recently was a leading man in the indie movie Columbus:

He's finding a niche in indie movies.

John is cool as fuck. I met him like 6 years ago.

He's also the only reason I watched this terrible ass show

Jan 10, 2018
Good question they for sure need better representation

I would love to know what happened to the trend in the early 00s to atleast Jet Li and Jackie Chan (co)starring in a whole lot of movies.

Now its just a chinese beauty showing up in the "for the chinese market" segments, with a korean or a elderly japanese guy once in a while.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's good, but expectations are low.

Looking forward to a more diverse Hollywood if it succeeds. Want to see more chinese, indian, and middle eastern leads.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a fine way to kill a couple hours. A mediocre comedy with a likable cast is fine. Better than the glut of movies with charmisma-less mannequins in the leads.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Movie looks fantastic. Really looking forward to it.

Did we watch different trailers?

Looks horrible. Jon Chu is a bad filmmaker amd there's no way he can elevate this bland as fuck book. At the same time it's cool that Asian-Americans can enjoy the mediocrity of a generic romcom.

Call me when someone with talent produces a Celeste Ng penned script.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Looks horrible. Jon Chu is a bad filmmaker amd there's no way he can elevate this bland as fuck book. At the same time it's cool that Asian-Americans can enjoy the mediocrity of a generic romcom.

Dunno I liked the lead and her best friend and the movie looked really pretty. Each to their own.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna support this, but I don't really care about romcoms at all. I wish Better Luck Tomorrow had made it big. :/

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to know what happened to the trend in the early 00s to atleast Jet Li and Jackie Chan (co)starring in a whole lot of movies.

Now its just a chinese beauty showing up in the "for the chinese market" segments, with a korean or a elderly japanese guy once in a while.
Jet Li's production really fell off due to health problems, and I seem to recall Chan just wanting to do more Chinese stuff because it's a huge market (and he's Chinese lol). Seems interested in Chinese international collaborations too. The British-Chinese co-production "The Foreigner" was great, if you haven't seen it, though very serious.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first romcom where the partner is a secret rich person and the main character has to "prove his/herself" to the family.

Not to mention, I must've imagined all the "Asian version of x, y, z" lines in the trailers. That isn't the only problematic thing either. Support it if you want. I don't have to.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Deriding a movie for sticking to a formula and reaching for mass-appeal strikes me as needlessly snobbish.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
My wife is treating the release date for this like a holiday. No way we're missing it.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deriding a movie for sticking to a formula and reaching for mass-appeal strikes me as needlessly snobbish.

"Reaching for mass-appeal" means making it palatable for white people and you're ignoring the other points I'm making. The formula isn't the only problem I have with the movie.

Again, expecting me to support it is like expecting me to support Elaine Chao just because she's Asian while excusing what a garbage person she is. I don't blindly support anyone just because we're the same race.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with making a movie starring Asians that non-Asians may also find appealling?

How is this movie bad for Asian representation?
Window dressing doesn't make it a movie about the Asian experience. "We're like you too"-type productions has a place, but when that's all that's made, then it's an issue.

As for representation: when the only Asian males I see are The Superman and minstrels, it's a problem.

Support it if you want, but I won't do it blindly.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the movie has such great representation, but it did not look at all like something I would enjoy watching.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Window dressing doesn't make it a movie about the Asian experience. "We're like you too"-type productions has a place, but when that's all that's made, then it's an issue.

As for representation: when the only Asian males I see are The Superman and minstrels, it's a problem.

So, a film adaptation of a book that was based on an Asian author's actual life in Singapore is window dressing? Has his entire life been a lie to appeal to white audiences then?

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017

You've been pretty adamant that this movie isn't "about the Asian experience" and other forms of "this isn't a real Asian movie" throughout this thread, despite the fact:
  • It has an all-Asian cast and an Asian director.
  • It's based on a book written by an ethnically Chinese man who was born to one of the Singaporean "royalty" families that the book depicts.
  • The entire plot is how a Chinese-American woman is introduced to her boyfriend's family and the reaction is that all of the younger members of the family absolutely adore her for being this refreshing, very American person whereas all of the older members reject her for being not Asian enough (and the ways she is Asian, she's mainland Chinese, which shouldn't mingle with their stratosphere of social group).
  • The author's original purpose for writing the novel was to pull back the curtain on the culture and attitudes of this very small subset of an ethnic group in a very small nation in Asia--i.e. Chinese immigrants who came to Singapore decades before China went communist and became rich off of the backs of shipping, financial and other industries.
It's just embarrassing how you keep tripping over yourself screaming "NOT FOR ASIANS" when that is 100% what the book is, and (from what it sounds like) the movie as well. To me, it just looks like you see this movie is aimed more at women than the hyper-malecentric movies you seem to prefer, and conflate that with designed to appeal to white people.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Which is weird. Are there no asian producers in hollywood? Wheres the asian tyler perry?

Though not a producer (yet) Kevin Tsujihara, the CEO of Warner Bros, is Japanese American.

Other producers of Asian descent are Dan Lin (Lethal Weapon tv series,LEGO), Roy Lee (LEGO, It) and James Wan (Conjuring-verse) among others.

Oct 27, 2017
You've been pretty adamant that this movie isn't "about the Asian experience" and other forms of "this isn't a real Asian movie" throughout this thread, despite the fact:
  • It has an all-Asian cast and an Asian director.
  • It's based on a book written by an ethnically Chinese man who was born to one of the Singaporean "royalty" families that the book depicts.
  • The entire plot is how a Chinese-American woman is introduced to her boyfriend's family and the reaction is that all of the younger members of the family absolutely adore her for being this refreshing, very American person whereas all of the older members reject her for being not Asian enough (and the ways she is Asian, she's mainland Chinese, which shouldn't mingle with their stratosphere of social group).
  • The author's original purpose for writing the novel was to pull back the curtain on the culture and attitudes of this very small subset of an ethnic group in a very small nation in Asia--i.e. Chinese immigrants who came to Singapore decades before China went communist and became rich off of the backs of shipping, financial and other industries.
It's just embarrassing how you keep tripping over yourself screaming "NOT FOR ASIANS" when that is 100% what the book is, and (from what it sounds like) the movie as well. To me, it just looks like you see this movie is aimed more at women than the hyper-malecentric movies you seem to prefer, and conflate that with designed to appeal to white people.

Yeah, nearly everyone involved in this is Asian yet Sparda is claiming "NOT ASIAN ENOUGH!" based on some personal, seemingly arbitrary, benchmark

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But how come there's no Crazy Rich White People

/s
511RW5ZZ02L.jpg

Oct 28, 2017

At least one movie a week releases telling a story about how a parent has certain expectations for a child and the child tries to show them that they have different values and want to take a different path in life. Eventually, the parents see that they are wrong to hold the kid back and that they can still be successful even if they don't follow the old way.

Sound familiar?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing trailers for this constantly. I'll come with if my girlfriend wants to see it but nothing about it looks enjoyable to me and I don't like rich people. I hope it does well just to get more Asian representation though.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
At least one movie a week releases telling a story about how a parent has certain expectations for a child and the child tries to show them that they have different values and want to take a different path in life. Eventually, the parents see that they are wrong to hold the kid back and that they can still be successful even if they don't follow the old way.

Sound familiar?

That's like complaining about any movie based on the Hero's Journey is too "universal." Like, what?

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else here read the book?

My friend recommended it to me so I read it and thought it was enjoyable. I don't really like all the glamorization of wealth and was hoping the book would be more critical of the wealth inequality, but Hollywood always has that problem and hollywood loves making movies about over the top weddings so this seems like it could do well. However for me reading the book almost always means there is no reason to watch the movie so I won't be seeing this.

Oct 27, 2017

Sound familiar?

It's almost as if Asians can go through the same experiences as anyone else and these problems aren't unique to a single culture! Okay?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The whole idea of Crazy Rich Asians is...whatever. On the surface it seems comfortable with retreading old stereotypes and archetypes, complete with the re-steeping in the often unspoken-yet-always-kinda-there obsession with success communicated through money. Yet, if that's what it takes for Asian film representation to advance in the US, then so be it.

Also, I have never heard of Columbus and REALLY want to watch it now. That looks fucking great.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else here read the book?

My friend recommended it to me so I read it and thought it was enjoyable. I don't really like all the glamorization of wealth and was hoping the book would be more critical of the wealth inequality, but Hollywood always has that problem and hollywood loves making movies about over the top weddings so this seems like it could do well. However for me reading the book almost always means there is no reason to watch the movie so I won't be seeing this.

I read all three books in the series. I had a different takeaway in that I felt there was this underlying angst that the author had in the first book, where he just needed to get his gripes with that culture out--it isn't a coincidence that the happiest people in those books are the ones least connected to that culture: Nick and Rachel when they live in New York away from all of it, Philip who self-exiles to Australia, etc. Whereas the second book kinda drops all of that and leans heavily into "man isn't being rich wonderful?"

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Sound familiar?
Sure Does!
2KeYGT0.jpg

Damned universally appealing stories with yellow faces peppered into them! If only white people didn't like them then it would be okay!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Yea I wouldn't say it looks fantastic lmao. With that being said, I enjoy romcoms, and this movie looks fun.

It really depends on the persons critcisms tbh. If your talking about Yams he might think it looks mediocre for more reasons than just "sticks to the formula".

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I am huge on Gossip Girl, but have felt dissuaded from watching it again ever since Ed Westwick has been outed as a rapist. This might fill the void for an hour or two.