• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Grace didn't like the film and thought it was a crass display of wealth with a bunch of unsympathetic characters who seemed like the only thing they have going for themselves is that they're rich.

Mod Edit: Link Removed
This is exactly what I thought of the movie just from the trailers and what made me kind of hesitant to watch it as an Asian myself. Maybe I'll go check it out..

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After comparing Zack Snyder to Kubrick and BvS to The Shining, the latter is certainly up for debate.
Yup. She is the Alex Jones of movie youtube. Soon as she started attacking "forced diversity" and "social justice warriors" that should have been a wake up call for everyone not to trust a word of what she says about any film with diverse casting.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She is the Alex Jones of movie youtube. Soon as she started attacking "forced diversity" and "social justice warriors" that should have been a wake up call for everyone.
Your problem is your arguinig in extremes and making hyperbolic comparisons. Certainly some of her word choices haven't been great in the past but the context in how she was using it was nowhere close to being alt-right, yet alone Alex Jones.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm eager to see this because I don't believe that Jon Chu of Justin Bieber Documentary and Step Up 3 fame can make a movie with a 97% on RT.

Sorry, sounds like bullshit to me. Sure, this might make a blip of money but this isn't gonna move the needle with asian representation in Hollywood. Y'all remember Better Luck Tomorrow? Yeaaaah.

im asian dont ban me

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, enough of that racist scumbag. Back to what is important, this is getting rave reviews. I am SO glad it is looking to be great. And I hope it does excellent. This should be a wake up call for Hollywood.

Stuff like this excites me the most:
Here's a love story with genuine stakes, grown-up characters and a great sense of fun. Having radically exceeded my hard-hearted expectations, it should leave romcom fans feeling as delighted as children on Christmas day.
I miss having really good rom-coms. Feels like it is been forever since one.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
This is strange to me. On one hand, I'm glad it's doing well. On the other, I don't see anything that distinguishes itself from other rom-coms except for the Asian-majority cast (which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing).

Will reserve judgment until I actually see it, of course - but it doesn't seem quite right. I do like Constance Wu and she's the only reason I watch FOB though.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, enough of that raciat scumbag. Back to what is important, this is getting rave reviews.

I am SO glad it is looking to be grear. And I hope it does excellent. This should be a wake up call for Hollywood.
I plan on watching this tomorrow, showing my own support, and forming my own opinion.

Can't Wait.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Still pretty apprehensive about this one going by that trailer. It just seems like a bunch of snobs messing around and the trailer damn sure wasnt funny

But good on them for getting a win for an all Asian cast flick. Gonna hold out until it hits VOD tho

That lead guy seems like hes poised to blow up overnight. I think I saw him in some mystery movie trailer by Paul feig too

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on watching this tomorrow, showing my own support, and forming my own opinion.

Can't Wait.

As someone who has actually seen the movie, there's more to the characters than the fact that they are rich. While it's true the movie removes much of the characterization and nuance of most of the characters, to distill them to "unsympathetic outside of being rich" is a gross oversimplification to the point where you wonder if that reviewer even watched the movie.

And since she became famous by appealing to the alt-right and crazy DCEU fanboys, I would not put it past her to "review" a movie without actually watching it.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow... Great reviews! Whatyearisit.gif. I miss good rom-coms, and I heard a cool interview with Jon Chu today about the movie that intrigued me. In!

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
97%, so fresh! The set reminds me of The Great Gatsby.
I've been enjoying a lot of rom com lately, I can't wait for this.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
My only issue being Asian American is that Jon M Chu is usually pretty bad at chaterization in most of his previous films, especially the "Step Up" franchise, but this being a book with a strong foundation helps. I'll be seeing it regardless in support, and honestly the reviews don't matter, because progression for Asians in the film industry is when we can have movies of any quality or type but with true representation.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Yaay cant wait!

I dont want to derail any further. But pls stop posting Grace wathername videos. I dont care who she is but if I accident click on her video my youtube page fills with disgusting alt right recommendation videos.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After falling in love with Fresh Off The Boat, I've got a lot of time for Constance Wu. She's the funniest person on that show

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, I think I might go ahead and check this out. Might do a date night with the gf.

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Do I want to read this book?

Picked it up but could go either way.

I read all three books. They're decent and are far more biting than the movie, with much more world building. I think they're worth a read, but a lot of what I pulled from them was being able to relate to the main characters dealing with similar attitudes and cultures to what I have.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Happy about the all-Asian cast, but personally I'm not interested in the lives of vapid wealthy people.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned for Drive-By Trolling.
So is this movie actually really good, or are reviews being inflated by omg representation?

Yup, trolling. Definitely trolling. Hey lets have another thread inviting new users to comment, cuz we're so welcoming here.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

Nov 2, 2017
New York
This is strange to me. On one hand, I'm glad it's doing well. On the other, I don't see anything that distinguishes itself from other rom-coms except for the Asian-majority cast (which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing)

That's kind of the point from my perspective though. It's not an "Asian Movie," but instead is just a normal rom-com that happens to have an Asian cast. That is a big step for Hollywood.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Curious about how many are planning to just buy tickets to support it but not actually go. I've been considering it because I support the ideal of increased rep but have zero interest in the movie and don't really trust professional reviewers on this one. I might buy a "Real" ticket after though depending on what you guys say.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
it looked bad from the trailer, but if its as good as everyone says, maybe ill check it out.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Won't be able to catch this till next week unfortunately. Was thinking about skipping it but all the positive buzz has got me interested. Been awhile since I've seen a rom com anyways.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Happy about the all-Asian cast, but personally I'm not interested in the lives of vapid wealthy people.

Pretty much same boat for me. Trailer was meh and the title of it is still stupid as fuck, but I was convinced to check it out on the condition that i don't have to be sober for it. lol

Actually surprised how well its reviewed so hoping it wont be as bad or cheesy as i expect.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm eager to see this because I don't believe that Jon Chu of Justin Bieber Documentary and Step Up 3 fame can make a movie with a 97% on RT.

Sorry, sounds like bullshit to me. Sure, this might make a blip of money but this isn't gonna move the needle with asian representation in Hollywood. Y'all remember Better Luck Tomorrow? Yeaaaah.

im asian dont ban me

Well it did lead to Justin Lin directing Fast and Furious movies so that's something

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017

skimming over it, it sounds like the reviewer was upset it was a light and fluffy rom-com that didn't spend its runtime engrossing itself in Asian traditions, and on top of it he views the moments the movie does try to show some sort of Asian/Chinese custom as shameless and cheap:

At two separate moments, including the lavish wedding reception, Grace Chang's "Wo Yao Ni De Ai" plays on the soundtrack, a choice that immediately reminded me of my own complex associations with my heritage. As someone who learned the value of understanding my native land and culture far too late, I came to know it, in one shape or another, through films from China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Chang's song also happens to play during Tsai Ming-liang's The Hole, in which Yang Kuei-mei and Lee Kang-sheng lip sync and dance to the track. The two uses could not be more different in terms of impact: Tsai's contains an actual sense of eroticism, longing, and exuberance; Chu's conveys a nauseatingly slick emptiness. Why should Asian-Americans wait twenty-five years for this shallowness? Why shouldn't they look to their homeland, flattened and hollowed out in this film, for a faithful, distinctive representation of Asian characters onscreen? Why should they settle for and embrace this?

it just seems he wanted a fundamentally different movie than what even the novel (which devotes much more of its word length to describing and explaining Chinese-Singaporean customs and behaviors) would've ever translated to. I get you want some Oscar-bait about what it means to be Chinese, but that doesn't sell at the scale this will. And I don't mean "dumb it down for white audiences," I mean even stuff like The Hunt, which is similarly a movie that tries to portray some version of a foreign culture--this time that of a Danish village--made less money world wide than this movie will make in its first five days in the US alone.

Maybe that's a bad example, but what I'm getting at is that Crazy Rich Asians doesn't really extrapolate on the ins and outs of this culture not because it's flippant about it, but rather because that's just not the nature of the movie it is, but despite that it still flirts with the notion of devoting a decent chunk of screen time to that purpose. And it just seems a bit rash to criticize it for that fact. Not every movie needs to dry in the way the reviewer seems to want, and just because it isn't some award-winning indie fare about the philosophical questions of Asian culture doesn't mean it's disrespecting Chinese culture when it portrays it.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Question for y'all: as someone who likes rom-coms that make me feel good and wholesome but is not of Asian heritage, would I enjoy the movie as a rom-com? I'm in the mood for a good rom com to distract me from work stress and if it means encouraging more Asian roles in films too then I'm all for it.