• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. As an Asian-American I'm hoping for a decent to good movie but the trailer I saw was.. not good. I don't seem to agree with many of the big-name reviewers on RT nowadays so I'm not going to go in with my expectations too high. 93% is nutty for that trailer and this director's not so great track record.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw the movie and I really liked it. The movie shines its best when it focuses on the interplay of Rachel, Nick, and Eleanor (Nick's mom). Constance Wu, Michael Yu, and Awkwafina all did great jobs in this movie.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came back from watching it. I thought from an entertainment standpoint, it was pretty boring for the most part whose best moments come toward the end, particularly the Mahjong and Airplane scene. The biggest issue for me is that the script doesn't give the characters enough for you to care what happens to them. By far, Jon Chu's best shot film. I didn't think his direction let the film down like the script does.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question for y'all: as someone who likes rom-coms that make me feel good and wholesome but is not of Asian heritage, would I enjoy the movie as a rom-com? I'm in the mood for a good rom com to distract me from work stress and if it means encouraging more Asian roles in films too then I'm all for it.
Honestly, I don't know. I didn't think the film was that romantic or funny tbh. The one thing I'm certain you'll enjoy is the ending.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Question for y'all: as someone who likes rom-coms that make me feel good and wholesome but is not of Asian heritage, would I enjoy the movie as a rom-com? I'm in the mood for a good rom com to distract me from work stress and if it means encouraging more Asian roles in films too then I'm all for it.
Yup. This is absolutely your best bet.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

I thought the movie was fantastic. Overly saccharine films make me gag easily but I never really felt that with this one. Yes it follows some romcom tropes but its also aware of it but not in an overly cynical sense. The film was also great as far as getting a glimpse at another cultures experience with romance (in a heightened way) and what it means in the greater orbit of ones family. It does dip into mellodrama but its a romcom not a straight realistic drama. For context I'm a 30 year old Puerto Rican male.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing it tonight but is Awkwafina a black caricature the entire movie like she is in the trailer? because that was cringe.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Aight y'all my ass in in this seat I'm buttering myself up with the popcorn and I'm ready to feast on the cinematography and stop being cynical for a couple hours see ya on the other side.

I'm seeing it tonight but is Awkwafina a black caricature the entire movie like she is in the trailer? because that was cringe.

Aw fuck I sure hope not.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
I don't know why Asians are so hyped about this, it basically disregards anyone but the rich ethnic Chinese.

Any positive Asian representation is a gateway to more Asian representation. Are you Asian?

Aaaand no response lol

Speaking of Certified Fresh...

As a Asian American myself I'm really rooting for this. The wife for some reason doesn't feel such a need to support this like I do but I said we're going to watch it when it comes out lol. I live near Atlanta so the theater better be packed full of Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, and everyone else in the "Other" category like me.

My wife and our friends are heading out to see this on Sunday. They gonna be representing that Filipino, Cambodian, and Korean support. They fuckin' hyped, especially now that the reviews are good too.

And ofc I work that night ;_;

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL. It definitely felt like she was the Sassy Black BFF, but honestly at least her character actually had some character to her. Same with the Sassy Gay friend. The film had some energy to it anytime they were on screen.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I had a fine enough time with it but took away absolutely nothing and already forgot it until seeing this thread. But that's how I feel with most romances, like what is my takeaway meant to be anyway?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night. Fucking loved it. Super surprised TBH.

No it doesn't. The main character's background and conflicting status is the whole thrust of the film.

Their background and conflicting status is based on class and east vs west. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Any positive Asian representation is a gateway to more Asian representation. Are you Asian?

Yes, I am Asian. And there are a whole lot of Asians that are not into this movie.

I'm old enough to remember when MASH was the only place you saw Asian-American actors. And most of the pioneering Asian-American tv/film actors were on that show. So, I'm coming from a time when representation, ANY representation meant so damn much. And we've reached a point where we don't have to clamor for a quantity of walk on roles, extras or side characters, but to clamoring for quality in leading roles.

Don't make the error of overlooking what and how long it took to get it.

This movie isn't Asian Black Panther. It's not supposed to be Asian Black Panther. Stop making the suggestion that all things are all equal to underrepresented groups.

Millions of Asian-Americans are pumped for this shit. Let us have our fucking fun.

I can have fun and excitement for the whole cast of Asian-Americans involved in this movie, the refusal to let the lead be changed to a white woman, for them deciding not to take the money and go to Netflix, which would have been more convenient for me as a consumer, but gambled on the audacity of a major studio release. I'm Korean, I don't have to limit my excitement to Ken Jeong and half of Awkwafina.

I agree with the rest of your post, we should all be celebrating the existence of this film. But the fact is that in order to push the envelope forward, we should also be criticizing what it is. In some sense it isn't the film's fault because it's based on a book, but where the fuck are the brown people in Singapore beyond what lots of people (critics and viewers alike) are pegging as a racist scene. It's time to talk about the colorism that exists in our own communities and to be told to line up or shut up for this film by people on Resetera has been one of my most disappointing experiences on this forum...It's interesting everyone here seems to dogpile on any negative review, the film is a damn popcorn summer rom com, not some future classic.

As for the bolded, See my response to Ogre below.

It's a fun movie that plenty of Asians can enjoy and relate to. Plus it opens doors for more Asian cinema. It's also based off of a popular book

It's based off a book that also has a lot of criticism against it.

Speaking of Certified Fresh...

My wife and our friends are heading out to see this on Sunday. They gonna be representing that Filipino, Cambodian, and Korean support. They fuckin' hyped, especially now that the reviews are good too.

And ofc I work that night ;_;

I have many Pilipino and Korean friends on my feed that just disagree, these people are still playing ethnic Chinese characters.

Ignoring all the "lol he didn't reply" posts.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see it back in April, I had wished they had cut out the scene with the Sikh guards between now and then and they didn't. I will say it is very difficult to sympathize with anyone but the character Constance plays and her mother, they have so much money their problems are honestly trivial...I think the book handles this better and it's hard to capture the satire on film.

Anyway, I'd like to sum up my perspective, per a response on my FB feed that I found reasonable:

"1) No one should be telling anyone to shut up.
2) CRA could've definitely been better about representing the diversity of Asians in Singapore.
3) The desire for representation isn't just to see ourselves on screen. It's the opportunity for more Asian/Asian American stories to be invested in by Hollywood Studios so that the cultural stories can be absorbed by mainstream audiences. When I applaud this film and hope for its success, I think of all the Asian American films allowed a chance to be produced that will better represent brown Asians and/or the diversity of Asians in Singapore. It won't happen if none of these AA stories (however flawed) succeed. If it DOES succeed, then we can make the next one better.

And to be clear, the book doesn't paint the rich Chinese Singaporean group in a good light, except for a small handful of the characters. They basically see the main character Rachel as a second-class citizen, undeserving of being a part of their society."

And here's something that I think is taking it a bit too far but once again, the discussion should be had:

"I've decided personally not to contribute to its box office gross. Even though in the American context, this movie is diverse, in its original context, it is white-washed. As a Chinese-American, I am becoming more aware of China's history and the continued actions of its people around Asia and the world. As someone who works with refugee populations, particularly children, I am fully aware that some Asian refugees might look at me and identify me with their oppressors. They aren't wrong to feel that way: that is what my skin color represents to them. And even though I'm removed from the situation geographically, that doesn't mean I don't benefit from light-skinned privilege and other kinds of privilege. So yes, it's on me to be like "No, we shouldn't support this movie because it's not good enough and it's not really worth being problematic now on the off-chance Hollywood does better next time."

Also if we should celebrate the movie we should also celebrate the fact that now we can have these conversations within our communities. Just because something is "Asian" (although once again, some critics disagree), doesn't mean we stop voicing criticism.

I had a fine enough time with it but took away absolutely nothing and already forgot it until seeing this thread. But that's how I feel with most romances, like what is my takeaway meant to be anyway?

Everything will be okay if you are rich and light skinned.

Last edited:

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Their background and conflicting status is based on class and east vs west. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.
Then you shouldn't have put "rich" in your declaration, pal
Just because something is "Asian" (although once again, some critics disagree), doesn't mean we stop voicing criticism.
No one is ignoring you that we can do better. However, after 25 years with no opportunities whatsoever, it would help to have a little perspective and relief rather than take the opportunity to bring everyone else's enjoyment down by going down a checklist of negativity every time you're reminded of the film's existence.

Last edited:

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Everything will be okay if you are rich and light skinned.

That's kind of my main issue with this movie coming out of it - I get that it's pretty much a modern day fairy tale esque story but yeah even from the start there's the theme of "if you have *enough* money racism and the like don't apply to you so it's fine". Which left kind of a poor taste in my mouth.

The movie suffers from some of the usual token character development issues most Room Comms have but the actors played their parts quite well and I really enjoyed some scenes despite the very narrow camera work that was my other biggest issue with the movie. A few shots just felt claustrophobic to me even in normal dialogue scenes.

Much like with Black Panther, this film isn't without its flaws and it can lead to some nice discussions, but at the same time hell yeah for more representation and if more popcorn flicks end up including more diversity like this I'm all for it.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
I have many Pilipino and Korean friends on my feed that just disagree, these people are still playing ethnic Chinese characters.

Ignoring all the "lol he didn't reply" posts.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see it back in April, I had wished they had cut out the scene with the Sikh guards between now and then and they didn't. I will say it is very difficult to sympathize with anyone but the character Constance plays and her mother, they have so much money their problems are honestly trivial...I think the book handles this better and it's hard to capture the satire on film.

Anyway, I'd like to sum up my perspective, per a response on my FB feed that I found reasonable:

"1) No one should be telling anyone to shut up.

2) CRA could've definitely been better about representing the diversity of Asians in Singapore.

3) The desire for representation isn't just to see ourselves on screen. It's the opportunity for more Asian/Asian American stories to be invested in by Hollywood Studios so that the cultural stories can be absorbed by mainstream audiences. When I applaud this film and hope for its success, I think of all the Asian American films allowed a chance to be produced that will better represent brown Asians and/or the diversity of Asians in Singapore. It won't happen if none of these AA stories (however flawed) succeed. If it DOES succeed, then we can make the next one better.

And to be clear, the book doesn't paint the rich Chinese Singaporean group in a good light, except for a small handful of the characters. They basically see the main character Rachel as a second-class citizen, undeserving of being a part of their society."

And here's something that I think is taking it a bit too far but once again, the discussion should be had:

"I've decided personally not to contribute to its box office gross. Even though in the American context, this movie is diverse, in its original context, it is white-washed. As a Chinese-American, I am becoming more aware of China's history and the continued actions of its people around Asia and the world. As someone who works with refugee populations, particularly children, I am fully aware that some Asian refugees might look at me and identify me with their oppressors. They aren't wrong to feel that way: that is what my skin color represents to them. And even though I'm removed from the situation geographically, that doesn't mean I don't benefit from light-skinned privilege and other kinds of privilege. So yes, it's on me to be like "No, we shouldn't support this movie because it's not good enough and it's not really worth being problematic now on the off-chance Hollywood does better next time."

Also if we should celebrate the movie we should also celebrate the fact that now we can have these conversations within our communities. Just because something is "Asian" (although once again, some critics disagree), doesn't mean we stop voicing criticism.

So, to be more serious, I mostly agree with all of this. Disclaimer: I'm not Asian American, but my kids, nieces, nephews, and so forth will be/are. But I'd still be invested in this shit without that personal connection anyway, soo...

It's a complicated balance, and people looking to CRA as the be-all-end-all, "this is the Asian American Black Panther," are maybe setting their expectations a bit high.

My take is that, through a variety of factors, CRA is in a unique position to open the door to more representation. Ironically, the first to open the door is frequently not the best representative for representation.

A thing that frequently gets missed is is that good, important films can be also be problematic. Representation is not a zero-sum game. Art with problematic elements can also be worthy of supporting, especially because supporting better representation is playing the long game.

And that's the issue I have with the author of the second bit you posted. The reality is, is that it took Hollywood a quarter of a century to offer a "next-time." Studios play it increasingly safe, and while that doesn't mean accepting complete bullshit, making the perfect the enemy of the good is frequently counter-productive in practice.

In a weird twist, August has two milestone films for Asian Americans. While CRA is getting the most publicity, it seems to have slipped under the radar that John Cho is the first Asian American male lead of a Hollywood film that isn't a fucking action movie in Searching.

The pretty dope Filipino action movie headlined by fucking Anne Curtis, Buybust, was given a super limited release this month, too. In an alternate reality, where a more open-door Hollywood sees monetary potential in picking up an action film led by a female Asian star, Buybust gets a Crouching Tiger release, Filipino cinema gets a cash influx, and they start putting all that talent into something other than romcoms.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of my main issue with this movie coming out of it - I get that it's pretty much a modern day fairy tale esque story but yeah even from the start there's the theme of "if you have *enough* money racism and the like don't apply to you so it's fine". Which left kind of a poor taste in my mouth.

The movie suffers from some of the usual token character development issues most Room Comms have but the actors played their parts quite well and I really enjoyed some scenes despite the very narrow camera work that was my other biggest issue with the movie. A few shots just felt claustrophobic to me even in normal dialogue scenes.

Much like with Black Panther, this film isn't without its flaws and it can lead to some nice discussions, but at the same time hell yeah for more representation and if more popcorn flicks end up including more diversity like this I'm all for it.
I thought Jon Chu's direction was fine. I also enjoyed the Asian covers of Western Music too. I thought the major characters were just bland and thin. Gemma Chan's character was by far the blandest so despite a really good scene resolving her sub plot, I just didn't care about her character.
I think the movie suffers mostly by no real conflict or development between Constance Wu's character or Henry Golding's character. We don't ever watch them fall in love or really see why they love each other or any of the ups and downs that come with being in a relationship. Thet start out already happily in love in a stable relationship and maintain that for most of the film and end that way with the only conflict coming from the Matriarchs from the boyfriend's family disapproval of his girlfriend.

Watching Happy in love people remain happy in love from beginning to end is BORING. LOL

It needed more CRAZY to go along with the Rich and Asians.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
I thought Jon Chu's direction was fine. I also enjoyed the Asian covers of Western Music too. I thought the major characters were just bland and thin. Gemma Chan's character was by far the blandest so despite a really good scene resolving her sub plot, I just didn't care about her character.
I think the movie suffers mostly by no real conflict or development between Constance Wu's character or Henry Golding's character. We don't ever watch them fall in love or really see why they love each other or any of the ups and downs that come with being in a relationship. Thet start out already happily in love in a stable relationship and maintain that for most of the film and end that way with the only conflict coming from the Matriarchs from the boyfriend's family disapproval of his girlfriend.

Watching Happy in love people remain happy in love from beginning to end is BORING. LOL

It needed more CRAZY to go along with the Rich and Asians.

My personal pet peeve is really close up shots during dialogue. That's mostly just my preference though. By the end of the film it was much better imo.

As for your spoilers, I agree.

Everyone was a total jerk to Rachel but at the end because the mom/grandma say it's okay EVERYRHING IS FIXED YAY. I know it's the usual Room Com trope but man I would've loved it more if she had gone her own way and we had a timeskip or something ala La La Land.

The musical covers were ace though.

Why do you think she's a black caricature and not just a character?

Real talk:

Her character was a little too close to the magical negro trope for me to not throw some side eye, but I enjoyed her chewing the scenery nonetheless.

Also:

Can we please be done with the trope that a homosexual male is a women's best tool?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
So, to be more serious, I mostly agree with all of this. Disclaimer: I'm not Asian American, but my kids, nieces, nephews, and so forth will be/are. But I'd still be invested in this shit without that personal connection anyway, soo...

It's a complicated balance, and people looking to CRA as the be-all-end-all, "this is the Asian American Black Panther," are maybe setting their expectations a bit high.

My take is that, through a variety of factors, CRA is in a unique position to open the door to more representation. Ironically, the first to open the door is frequently not the best representative for representation.

A thing that frequently gets missed is is that good, important films can be also be problematic. Representation is not a zero-sum game. Art with problematic elements can also be worthy of supporting, especially because supporting better representation is playing the long game.

And that's the issue I have with the author of the second bit you posted. The reality is, is that it took Hollywood a quarter of a century to offer a "next-time." Studios play it increasingly safe, and while that doesn't mean accepting complete bullshit, making the perfect the enemy of the good is frequently counter-productive in practice.

In a weird twist, August has two milestone films for Asian Americans. While CRA is getting the most publicity, it seems to have slipped under the radar that John Cho is the first Asian American male lead of a Hollywood film that isn't a fucking action movie in Searching.

The pretty dope Filipino action movie headlined by fucking Anne Curtis, Buybust, was given a super limited release this month, too. In an alternate reality, where a more open-door Hollywood sees monetary potential in picking up an action film led by a female Asian star, Buybust gets a Crouching Tiger release, Filipino cinema gets a cash influx, and they start putting all that talent into something other than romcoms.

Thanks for sharing! Yes! I've heard amazing things about Buybust and Search has been on my radar since Sony picked it up.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
You should check out Columbus. It is absolutely lovely.
columbus-movie-poster-2017-1020777610.jpg

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Also sorry for posting so many spoilers but

shoutouts to my mom for teaching this West Indian American Boi some Mahjong so I could appreciate that scene daaaamn

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from it, there were funny moments but the movie overall was very cliche. I'm kind of surprised by the extremely positive reaction to it mainly because this seems like the type of movie most critics would dislike.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk:

Her character was a little too close to the magical negro trope for me to not throw some side eye, but I enjoyed her chewing the scenery nonetheless.

But why are y'all calling an Asian woman black?

I'm not familiar with her solo stuff, but considering her mannerisms in the trailer are just like her Ocean's 8 character, I'm assuming she's playing herself.

Peristerium

Oct 28, 2017
CRA is definitely not a representation of all Asians. I hope no one is fooled enough to think of this. However, it is a representation of a (small) group of Asians in specific country. In Hollywood, where such thing is rare, this should be celebrated, even if you're not into this kind of storyline. One would hope that the success of this will create more Asian roles, which will then produce more variety than the typical: wisecracking kungfu guy, dragon lady, or in this case, rich people.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also sorry for posting so many spoilers but

shoutouts to my mom for teaching this West Indian American Boi some Mahjong so I could appreciate that scene daaaamn
Mahjong and Airplane scenes were the best. That was the only thing interesting about Constance Wu's character, her philosophy/strategy she used in Poker that she applied to Mahjong at the end to beat Moms and prove a point.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017

I'm not familiar with her solo stuff, but considering her mannerisms in the trailer are just like her Ocean's 8 character, I'm assuming she's playing herself.

I wasn't, I was saying the way her character is written is very similar to the magical negro trope even if she isn't black, and it felt a little too token to me. Awkwafina the person is great and I like her attitude but as a criticism of the film I just wished the two characters that supported the main character the most weren't token "outsider" tropes.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Not token at all, I think ya'll just aren't exposed to how ABC's in major US cities talk nowadays, they talk exactly like that in LA...

Dec 24, 2017

I think Awkwafina is an outward projection of Nora Lum, like a filterless version of Nora. That being said, Awkwafina is a lot of girls I've met from Queens.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I'm reluctant to watch this film because I know it'll absolutely destroy me as I relate to its themes so well.

Also, John Cho is low-key the best Asian male actor in North America right now. I'm actually surprised that he didn't get casted in CRA.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for sharing! Yes! I've heard amazing things about Buybust and Search has been on my radar since Sony picked it up.

Over the weekend, we happened to be in one of the few cities Buybust was playing in, and made sure to catch it.

I will say, hopefully without any spoilery content, that the film's combat scenes emphasize weight over kineticism. In other words, the fights are more akin to Atomic Blonde's stairway than something like The Raid. I just let people know, cause expectations are a thing.

My wife was a bit thrown by it, but ended up enjoying it in retrospect. I should mention it gets a bit political. It's almost like Elite Squad, but more explicitly anti-fascist. to Plus, Anne Curtis is almost unrecognizable and convincigly plays a badass. It's a trip!

I'm reluctant to watch this film because I know it'll absolutely destroy me as I relate to its themes so well.

Also, John Cho is low-key the best Asian male actor in North America right now. I'm actually surprised that he didn't get casted in CRA.

Ah, Columbus is a wonderful film. I was already sold on Cho a long time ago, and it's wonderful seeing him stretch out and demonstrate what he is capable of. The film also sold me on Haley Lu Richardson, as she is just fantastic in it. It doesn't hurt that the film is so, so gorgeous.

Watch it, for god's sake!

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Over the weekend, we happened to be in one of the few cities Buybust was playing in, and made sure to catch it.

I will say, hopefully without any spoilery content, that the film's combat scenes emphasize weight over kineticism. In other words, the fights are more akin to Atomic Blonde's stairway than something like The Raid. I just let people know, cause expectations are a thing.

My wife was a bit thrown by it, but ended up enjoying it in retrospect. I should mention it gets a bit political. It's almost like Elite Squad, but more explicitly anti-fascist. to Plus, Anne Curtis is almost unrecognizable and convincigly plays a badass. It's a trip!

Ah, Columbus is a wonderful film. I was already sold on Cho a long time ago, and it's wonderful seeing him stretch out and demonstrate what he is capable of. The film also sold me on Haley Lu Richardson, as she is just fantastic in it. It doesn't hurt that the film is so, so gorgeous.

Watch it, for god's sake!

Ugh I needed to see Buybust but I doubt I'll get to see it in theaters due to being in a smaller town.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it and had some thoughts:
- As a film devoid of cultural context, the plot is kinda meh. While the chemistry by Wu and Golding is great, their relationship never develops. They're happy and blissfully in love in the beginning, and remain in some variant of that state till the heritage reveal. I'd have liked to see them weather more ups and downs. In addition, Golding plays his character as effectively perfect. He's never really given any development nor does it really get into why he's been spared from becoming Crazy. I'd like more of that.
- Awkwafina really livens up the screen. Her OTT shtick perfectly suits her role here.
- Parts of the movie straight up felt like an ad for Singapore, like the hawker scene where they mention the Michelin starred chefs and the sweeping shots of the skyline. It felt a bit weird in the beginning, but it got better integrated as the movie went on.
- All the acting was great, but I wish there were more time spent on the weirder cousins like Alistair and Eddie. They were hilarious in their moments, but I just wanted a bit more.

All in all, I dug it. I thought it was an entertaining if tropey movie and I would really like to see more of the world that Chu, Kwan et al. set up.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Ugh I needed to see Buybust but I doubt I'll get to see it in theaters due to being in a smaller town.

It's playing in like, five cities. I just checked on a whim on the distributors site, and was like, "We are seeing this before we get on the plane."

Inb4 a sidequel starring buff Maja and serious-drama Vice.

- on topic, Awkwafina's character is basically one of my in-laws, but add in a distinct love for deep cut slow jams.

- also, isn't the (especially 1st gen) Asian American cross over with hip-hop culture pretty well explored? I'm 90% sure Fresh off the Boat goes into it. I'm not sold on her being a super-extra African American stereotype stand-in.

Dec 24, 2017
Yeah, I'd have to agree.

Shirtless John Cho would have been, "Asian don't raisin! He looks good for his age."

Shirtless Henry Golding, Chris Pang and Pierre Png were, " GADDAMN..."

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Enjoyed it!

THE BAD:
- The audio? Feels like actors aren't speaking loud enough or the mic is too far away in some scenes.
- Harry Shum Jr.'s name is like the 5th top billing in the end credits yet they completely gutted his scenes (to prepare for the sequel) and he's reduced to a non-speaking cameo in the mid-credits.
- A fan of Constance Wu, but her Rachel didn't glow until the end. She takes the grunt of being the POV character.
- I've enjoyed Mateo from Superstore as a Filipino-American... here he is playing a Singaporean with a very questionable English accent.
- Gemma Chan as Astrid is clearly the B-Plot that needs more plot and less deleted scenes.

THE GOOD:
- It's gorgeous! From the food porn, to the fashion porn, to the location porn, it all looks so good.
- Henry Golding as Nick is so refreshing. I haven't swooned over a rom-com man in a very long time. He was perfection.
- Gratuitous shots of shirtless men. My god. Henry Golding? Nice. Chris Pang as the groom? Hawt. Pierre Png as Astrid's husband? HELP ME JESUS.
- Michelle Yeoh as Eleanor who escaped playing a typical disavowing mother-in-law and gained depth.
- Are we really going to proclaim that Awkwafina was playing a sassy black stereotype? That's just how some people are in real life. Crass, gaudy, and funny as hell.
- The half-Asian/half-White controversy surrounding a few actors like Henry Golding initially bothered me, but there were so many Asian roles to go around that it just became a joy to see so many on-screen.
- If this movie provides no other statement about the current affairs of cinema, this movie still stands as a very solid rom-com with a very stable central coupling of Rachel/Nick with production values that are unmatched.