• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw it today. I think the central conflict of the movie is about Chinese-Americanness vs Chinese-Chinese (I realize Singapore is still diaspora vs actually being in China, but as a majority Asian nation with Mandarin as an official language... *handwaves*). As such, it's not something that really translates if you hypothetically made all the characters white and moved it from Singapore to London.

I like romantic movies but am only so-so on romcoms. (I guess I like romantic dramas?) I really liked CRA.

Re the Awkwafina debate: that Jimmy Fallon (whoops, Kimmel) clip where she's supposedly dropping her affect was also by the actual -words- of it about how her grandma said she was just playing herself in the movie, sooooooo

It's a completely fair criticism but it was also very true of the book, which focused on a large but very insular group of ultra-rich old money Chinese Singaporeans who didn't much associate with anyone poorer, not even mere 1% nouveau riche like the Goh family. It'd be like saying the Godfather movies didn't make a lot of screen time for anyone outside the Italian mobs.

Just by the synopsis, I think a lot of first-gen Chinese immigrant populations would instantly recognize the disparity between Asian-born and American-born Chinese. It's a very real reality that many of us have to face. There's also themes of classism in the movie too, which I appreciate since it's something that's hardly explored in Asian media.

I'm probably watching the movie sometime tomorrow. Can't wait!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Based on reviews, trailer seems like it did this movie a huge disservice. Luckily reviews are positive and word of mouth seems to be working its magic.

Korey: Full Price
Martin: Better than Sex

Last edited:

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the movie with my wife. We both loved it! Constance Wu can't actually speak Chinese so it was pretty funny to hear her say the lines she phonetically memorized during important scenes, but that's a minor quibble.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Saw this today. A lot of cheesy and cliche moments but overall enjoyable. Awkwafina was great. While not every Asian girl in Queens is like her, it's definitely relatable and familiar. Not sure what all the fuss is about when then there's way worse representation of other cultures out there in a ton of movies.

Solid romcom and easy to watch. My girl absolutely loved it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I feel like if you turn off your brain and just ignore the problematic parts of the film (hey, it's yet another token gay who we know is gay because he is flamboyant and not because he has a husband/boyfriend. also it's illegal to be gay in Singapore, but it's okay if you're just funny gay and not having sex gay!) then it's fine as a romcom. I actually enjoyed how culturally specific the ending conflict turned out being, since it was just two people being passive aggressive at each other.

I just want this to open doors so if someone wants to make Ghost in the Shell 2 or something, we don't need to pretend that Scarlett Johansson is the only way that movie would get made.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Based on reviews, trailer seems like it did this movie a huge disservice. Luckily reviews are positive and word of mouth seems to be working its magic.

Korey: Full Price
Martin: Better than Sex

Yeah, I thought the movie looked terrible from the trailer. I'm surprised it's actually good. Is it funny though? Nothing about the trailer looked funny

Speculator

Oct 30, 2017
Austin
Yeah, I thought the movie looked terrible from the trailer. I'm surprised it's actually good. Is it funny though? Nothing about the trailer looked funny

Yeah there's some pretty hilarious moments (one moment near the beginning sort of reminded me of an Edgar Wright Comedy).

Fiance and I went to see it yesterday and loved it. Need to find the soundtrack and Mandarin cover of songs now.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks it ain't being shown here in Denmark. I've been anticipating this movie ever since it's announcement. So I will have to wait for home media release.

I read there's an important Mahjong scene in it. So now I'm contemplating learning Mahjong before the movie comes out to better understand this scene.

Over the weekend, we happened to be in one of the few cities Buybust was playing in, and made sure to catch it.

I will say, hopefully without any spoilery content, that the film's combat scenes emphasize weight over kineticism. In other words, the fights are more akin to Atomic Blonde's stairway than something like The Raid. I just let people know, cause expectations are a thing.

My wife was a bit thrown by it, but ended up enjoying it in retrospect. I should mention it gets a bit political. It's almost like Elite Squad, but more explicitly anti-fascist. to Plus, Anne Curtis is almost unrecognizable and convincigly plays a badass. It's a trip!
If they would just start releasing Filipino movies digitally so the rest of us could watch their movies too. One of the things that sucks about not living in the Philippines (my other home country) is that I can't get to see all of these Filipino movies. And there's lots I really wanna watch.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah there's some pretty hilarious moments (one moment near the beginning sort of reminded me of an Edgar Wright Comedy).

Fiance and I went to see it yesterday and loved it. Need to find the soundtrack and Mandarin cover of songs now.
Thanks. Will put this one on the list to watch with the wife

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the movie with my wife. We both loved it! Constance Wu can't actually speak Chinese so it was pretty funny to hear her say the lines she phonetically memorized during important scenes, but that's a minor quibble.
I thought it actually worked to highlight her ABCness (I also thought she made it sound stilted like that on purpose, but I guess not).

I like how they used several dialects in this. I speak Mandarin, and my wife knows Fukien, and we each understood different parts.

...the guy who shows up near Astrid during the credits? The audience in my showing burst into cheers when he appeared, and I had no idea who he was.

Last edited:

beat

Oct 28, 2017
That character is a major part of Astrid's plot in the book. The filmmakers shot more with him but with a two hour target running time, they couldn't service both halves of Astrid's plots well, esp considering she's not the main character. So they mostly cut him out aside from the mid-credits scene.

That, plus Harry Shum Jr's level of fame in America, meant he got credited in with the main cast! I hope we'll see more of him in either a sequel, spinoff, or DVD extras.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it actually worked to highlight her ABCness (I also thought she made it sound stilted like that on purpose, but I guess not).

I like how they used several dialects in this. I speak Mandarin, and my wife knows Fukien, and we each understood different parts.

...the guy who shows up near Astrid during the credits? The audience in my showing burst into cheers when he appeared, and I had no idea who he was.
Yeah I also thought Constance was exaggerating the poor pronunciation to emphasize her ABCness. Especially since she repeats the same phrase to both women exactly, showing it was something she had prepared beforehand

The mystery dude is
Astrid's ex-bf who she almost married who should play a bigger role if the sequels are made

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US

Glee guy

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
It was pretty good.

It doesn't represent Singapore, Asians or the overall tension all that well.

But it's glamorous and depicts Asians in a different light than from before.

Some representation is better than none, I'll take it.

But as an Asian who's lived more than 5 years each in Singapore, China and USA, there's almost no detail in the movie that really shows the differences or tension or the misunderstandings between different Asians

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

He's the Asian guy from Glee.

And yeah, it wasn't a big deal. I'm not ABC, but my wife is and lots of my friends are. Most of them don't speak any Chinese at all, and the ones who do, generally can speak it decently albeit with an American accent. Constance's Chinese is actually just her memorizing the sounds, like when you see non-Asian actors who, for some reason, need to memorize like one Chinese line.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't her Chinese at least decent in that one episode of FOTB?
Not that I can remember. She's always memorized her lines from every episode I can remember. She sounds basically the same as Randall Park when he does the few Chinese lines he does in the show. The funny thing is the male lead's better at pronunciation than she is in CRA.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I can remember. She's always memorized her lines from every episode I can remember. The funny thing is the male lead's better at pronunciation than she is.
Talking about the "all" Chinese episode this past year. At least there it was obvious that of the male side, the youngest brother was the only one who actually could communicate in Chinese.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved Constance Wu for a long time in Fresh off the Boat, and really liked Gemma Chan in Human too. Really can't wait to watch this movie.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Have they already said that a sequel is in the works? Cause I can't wait for that. Also please bring awkwafina back if there is a sequel!

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think someone said it earlier but I think how this avoids a lot of the trappings from other romcoms (aside from being a huge step forward for Asian representation) is that the two main leads never fall out of love. I fully expected a scene before I came into the movie where Rachel messes up (like when she spills the red wine on Nicks shirt) and Nick would be pissed she wouldn't fit in, but the whole time Nick is gracious and realizes that it's mostly his fault for not easing Rachel into all of this better. Dude never once blames Rachel for anything she does in the film and that is super refreshing.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think someone said it earlier but I think how this avoids a lot of the trappings from other romcoms (aside from being a huge step forward for Asian representation) is that the two main leads never fall out of love. I fully expected a scene before I came into the movie where Rachel messes up (like when she spills the red wine on Nicks shirt) and Nick would be pissed she wouldn't fit in, but the whole time Nick is gracious and realizes that it's mostly his fault for not easing Rachel into all of this better. Dude never once blames Rachel for anything she does in the film and that is super refreshing.
Sure, but I wanted to see them fall in love so I could fall in love with them. LOL

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It was pretty good.

It doesn't represent Singapore, Asians or the overall tension all that well.

But it's glamorous and depicts Asians in a different light than from before.

Some representation is better than none, I'll take it.

But as an Asian who's lived more than 5 years each in Singapore, China and USA, there's almost no detail in the movie that really shows the differences or tension or the misunderstandings between different Asians
As a project on a whole, Crazy Rich Asians to me isn't about Asia or Singapore or Asians in Asia. Those are just used as window dressing. It's about an Asian-American fantasy that happens to be set in Singapore because it's kinda exotic to people who have never heard of it, fits the checkboxes needed for such a story to take place, and more importantly - take place largely in English.

That's why there's tons of buzz in the west, and relatively muted response in Asia itself. And you know, I totally get why people in the west are excited. It's a Hollywood movie with an all Asian cast, Asian-American leads directed by an Asian-American, adapted from a novel by an Asian-American. It's a BIG deal for Asian-American representation. But here in Asia we get all Asian casts, directors, books, etc all the time. This is nothing particularly new conceptually, and as far as representing Singapore goes, it's so far out that the best I could say is "well at least it's not Hitman!"

As a Singaporean I don't really care to look to Hollywood for representation of Singapore. It's not really that important because we're doing very well for ourselves in the things that matter, people who actually travel know what we are, and we're super successful. Don't need any validation or accuracy from the west, but if using Singapore as a springboard makes it easier for Hollywood to give Asian-Americans the representation they so badly need, I say rock on.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yup. The representation that matters here isn't the representation of Singapore or Asia. Its seeing Asians as leads in a Hollywood film in general.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The movie was pretty fun overall. There's definitely quite a bit of "turn your brain off" romcom stuff but it is a romcom. I really don't think the movie would've been able to tackle a whole discussion on Chinese identity and the differences between how families that moved to other countries vs those still in China view themselves and each other, but I really never expected it to.

The one thing that did surprise me was some of the real heart the movie had in depicting family dynamics especially with Rachel and her mother (although I'm not big on the twist in this regard) and with the whole importance of gaining respect with your potential partner's family. In my opinion those kind of propelled it over just being a romcom with a majority Asian cast (which would still be an important film if that was the case).

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched it with the wife. It's a fun movie, at first didnt think I'd get the jokes but it flowed well.

Not making my top ten anytime soon but it was good

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Caught the movie on Friday. Really awesome and definitely think it lives up to the hype. Hope the other books end up getting adapted, would like to see the cast again.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
We caught the movie last night. The start of the movie, I felt, dragged on. As the movie progressed, it was interesting how this movie does a good job showing the sub plots between the main characters. The ending was very well done. Does anyone know what that mahjong piece does in the very end does? Is that like an UNO wild card?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Wife and I really enjoyed it.

The only thing that sucked is that the screen (AMC) was all discolored in the center so everyone looked purple.

The ending felt a little random coming right after the scene that preceded it, maybe the book explains it better.

I was afraid it'd be too inside-jokey but it's biggest triumph might be just how accessible the humor is despite the hook of it being hyper-focused toward Asian culture.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I really enjoyed it.

The only thing that sucked is that the screen (AMC) was all discolored in the center so everyone looked purple.

The ending felt a little random coming right after the scene that preceded it, maybe the book explains it better.

I was afraid it'd be too inside-jokey but it's biggest triumph might be just how accessible the humor is despite the hook of it being hyper-focused toward Asian culture.

so are you and your wife non-asian?

i was interested in whether non-asians would be interested in dropping $ to spend 2 hours watching asians do shit on screen lol.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Saw it today with my girlfriend (chinese american) & her friend that just came back from living in China the for the past 3 years. We all thought it was ok and liked how the cast was majority Asian. Other than that bad scene with the guards outside the party.

We felt the movie was overall a tourism film for Singapore.

Edit: also yes mostly non asian

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
so are you and your wife non-asian?

i was interested in whether non-asians would be interested in dropping $ to spend 2 hours watching asians do shit on screen lol.

We're both white. I don't know if anyone in our half-full screening was Asian and the audience loved it. Pretty sure some girl was audibly sobbing at the end.