• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think it would be good to provide free animal healthcare for poor people

• Yes, excluding expensive surgery

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 153 61.9%
  • Yes, including surgery for all animals

Votes: 66 26.7%
  • Yes, including surgery, but not for all animals(explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Other(explain)

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
A pet isn't a human right, there are plenty of people who wouldn't/couldn't look after one to the standard it deserves. You can't say dogs make people feel better so everyone gets one as many would end up living poor lives. People should prove they can look after themselves first and then prove it for an animal.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bag and toss my pets in the river when ever I land on hard times too.
There are other options besides killing a pet if you find yourself in a situation where you can no longer afford their care. Like, giving them to a shelter or letting someone else adopt them. If you think your situation might be temporary you could probably even find a place that allows you to take them back if you can sort out your financial situation is an agreed upon amount of time

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
No shelters around my area will take in cats. Same with vets. They will just put them down. Most people only want to adopt kittens.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I've had this discussion before, usually on grounds of setting up a universal healthcare system for animals. The issue is, what animals does it cover? Only house animals? What about horses? If horses are included, then what about farm animals?

Dec 2, 2017
We should work on improving the quality of life in the regions the West has exploited for centuries first. The people who live there need affordable and sufficient healthcare as well - among many other things.

I think service animals for people with disabilities should be covered by healthcare but not your average pet.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not exactly the same, but in the UK we have the PDSA who offer free/heavily discounted vet services for low income people. They helped me out massively when I was younger.

Edit: Urgh, so many people worrying about the tiny fraction of people who might abuse the system over the majority who desperately need the help. The pearl-clutchers always come out whenever benefits a brought up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but I think it should be funded through a licensing system. There is far too much abuse that happens to animals and it's far too easy to just buy/adopt an animal, especially as some require very specific conditions and have needs that can be very time consuming.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Presuming there are no other concerns for which funds and resources are more urgent:

I see no issue with subsidizing spaying and neutering for pets and expanded healthcare services for service and farm animals.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
There are other options besides killing a pet if you find yourself in a situation where you can no longer afford their care. Like, giving them to a shelter or letting someone else adopt them. If you think your situation might be temporary you could probably even find a place that allows you to take them back if you can sort out your financial situation is an agreed upon amount of time
Yes! Dont get your own hands dirty! Let other do the killing.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
https://www.theroot.com/an-open-letter-from-black-america-to-white-peoples-pets-1818993839
white-people-will-spend-100-on-custom-t-shirts-for-them-2545963.png

♥️

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't have a problem with it, just depends on cost.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Many shelters/rescues look for fosters, which means they cover all expenses for temporary care till a forever home is found.

The money is just one tiny aspect of animal welfare, and effort as well as care is needed to manage homeless animals on our streets. Shelters that are full will end in animals either dying on the street or being euthanized.

"Returning a pet because you can not afford it" would be equal to losing a spot in the shelter for another pet. Especially because those pets usually are older and problematic pets that are difficult to promote. It'd be better to support the owner and make it possible for them to put their time, energy and effort into the rest of the pets life.

People who should bring their pets to shelter are those who mistreat, do not provide adequate time and life quality andnot those who lack money.

Last edited:

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this one of those 'animal life is more valuable than human life' posts? Because I hate that shit. If your kid grows to be an asshole then that is entirely or at least partially your fault.

Lol no it's not an animal life is more valuable than human life posts, it's I wonder how my love for my potential children is going to compare to my love for my pets post. This is entirely on me and my own issues, that's all. And I don't agree with that last point, kids can grow up in supportive environments and have siblings that become "good" human beings while their own trajectory towards adulthood goes off the rails. People can just be sociopaths through no fault of their parents, that's what scares me about having kids.

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just operate a joint shelter for lost animals and homeless? The animals are technically adoptable but they are available to play and interact with people in the shelter.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Lol no it's not an animal life is more valuable than human life posts, it's I wonder how my love for my potential children is going to compare to my love for my pets post. This is entirely on me and my own issues, that's all. And I don't agree with that last point, kids can grow up in supportive environments and have siblings that become "good" human beings while their own trajectory towards adulthood goes off the rails. People can just be sociopaths through no fault of their parents, that's what scares me about having kids.
So can pets? Not all animals turn out nice, even if they are brought up/ trained right

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Presuming there are no other concerns for which funds and resources are more urgent:

I see no issue with subsidizing spaying and neutering for pets and expanded healthcare services for service and farm animals.

The former already exists in many communities. It's a shame that people don't seem to realize that unless you live in a rural area there are options for very low cost or even free spay/neuter services.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
its a nice thing to have but people would be taxed more. and personally, we are taxed enough and not really getting proper funding for healthcare, education, road work,...
so i dont think i would want to allocate my money to free pet health insurance.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
human beings first

and we don't even have that, and you want it for pets? owning a pet is a luxury in itself unless it's for a medical reason

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Some counties provide vouchers for spay/neuter. It's a good investment for the county to avoid more unwanted puppies in shelters.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
High vet costs prevent some people from getting pets and that's a good thing. Still plenty of people who do not have the time, knowledge or money to properly take care of animals get pets when they shouldn't. "Free healthcare" for animals would just lead to more abandoned animals. Pets also aren't a human right, equal access to medical treatment for people should be, however. Let's achieve that first.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
human beings first

and we don't even have that, and you want it for pets? owning a pet is a luxury in itself unless it's for a medical reason
I believe there is always money somewhere. When you know that a minority of people owns most of the wealth in the world, I think it could be possible to treat both humans and animals better.
The reason you don't have that is in my opinion selfishness of a minority.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
My local animal hospital offers free vaccine clinics in poorer neighborhoods, free spay/neuter events for the most commonly abandoned breeds, and financial aid programs for people who can't afford to get their pet treated.