• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds less "supportive" and more "indifferent" hahah. Either way. Fair play to Sony, insomniac and everybody else involved. All gamers won this time.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Yup
Sounds less "supportive" and more "indifferent" hahah. Either way. Fair play to Sony, insomniac and everybody else involved. All gamers won this time.
how to misinterpret good gaming news 101

Minimize it more yea I'm sure shuhei or whoever was overseeing the project progress was "indifferent".

After the are games reviewers "incompetent" title I'm sure in the belief that resetera needs a damn literacy lesson and appropriate use of words

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Sony has control of the spiderman character. Im pretty confident they made a deal to have the character exclusivity in videogame swhile marvel could use the persona on avengers.

Nope, Sony only have control of the movie license otherwise you would never have seen him in games by Activision on all other systems.

I don't even know what is a joke anymore...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...massively-multiplayer-online-game-development

That dude is weird this is the time when Marvel and Microsoft worked together. I dunno what happened with that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It was never stated anywhere AFAIK, but i strongly believe this game was made (and exclusively for Playstation) only because of the deal between Sony and Marvel Studios to use Spider-Man in the MCU.
IncompleteCalmIbis-size_restricted.gif

It never ends.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Is that why it's exclusive? I always found it weird that this title was specifically exclusive, but the others aren't as far as I know

Nov 30, 2017
I don't even think insomniac games made Spider-Man. My gut tells me that when Sony pictures and Marvel pictures made the MCU deal. Marvel got Sony Pictures to create their own Spider-Man game to increase brand awareness. But with the stipulation that they couldn't say it was them. So Sony pictures tricked insomniac into twiddling their thumbs for years pretending to make a game. So Sony pictures could make it with no eyes on them.

am I doing this right?

Yes.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Is that why it's exclusive? I always found it weird that this title was specifically exclusive, but the others aren't as far as I know

It's exclusive because Marvel wanted Sony to treat one of their IP's like a Sony IP. So they approached them about a collaboration. They then went to Insomniac and asked them if they'd be up for making a game and they were the option to pick from Marvel's entire catalog. They obviously chose Spider-Man. Considering the acclaim its received as well as the rumored sales, it's clear why they made that choice to team up with Sony.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never stated anywhere AFAIK, but i strongly believe this game was made (and exclusively for Playstation) only because of the deal between Sony and Marvel Studios to use Spider-Man in the MCU.

Then you would be wrong as Sony Movie pictures only has the film right license to Spider-Man, they gave up the merchandising right long ago in exchange for 100% of the box office profit. Marvel won out in that department.

The current deal is between Sony movie pictures and Marvel studios to share the license and which allows Spider-Man to cross over into the MCU and MCU characters to cross over into the Spider-Man movies. The Spider-Man movies will still be distribution by Sony and they are also in charge of advertising the movies. Marvel roles is to make the movie in tone with the MCU.

None of that right applies to the game as it was Marvel games that approach Sony Interactive Entertainment to make a game base on their Marvel property, Sony went to Insomniac Games, they chose Spider-Man and boom they were granted the gaming license to make a Spider-Man game.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. this is a business, and maybe other company would've seen the potential especially with how much Super Heroes are popular nowadays.

Batman existed as a high quality game series before this game, and it is not made by Playstation.
Warner Bros is involved the Arkham games.

Think about that for a minute...

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
All these conspiracy theories and logical stretches just to explain why the game is a PS exclusive are downright embarrassing, with some going as far as to claim to be more woke than Intihar.

Oct 25, 2017
They still won't believe you. You're not high up on some sort of pay grade or something to be privvy to that information apparently.

I'm gonna bookmark your post for the next time.
they won't even believe ted price. they won't believe marvel. they won't believe sony. They won't believe anyone. Because everyone is a liar and their own theories are correct.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Sony are the godfather right now... if you want major blockbuster success you have to go through playstation. But of course u have to put out a good game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, its surreal to see 1UP personalities from back in the day like Intihar referred to as "creative director". This happens with Luke Smith at Bungie too. Good for them

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
All these conspiracy theories and logical stretches just to explain why the game is a PS exclusive are downright embarrassing, with some going as far as to claim to be more woke than Intihar.

Yeah all the fanboy bullshit and it's really just simple - Insomniac and Sony have built an incredible relationship over the years and they work amazingly well together.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just bitterness that the game is exclusive, I mean yeah it sucks but that's business at the end of the day and we are just going to have to live with it.

Didn't someone posted something along the lines "I'm allowed to believe my conspiracy theory" about this game?

Pffft, then I am allowed to say that's pathetic. ¬_¬

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
How does making a game with Spider-Man automatically mean that they own the rights to that character in games? (It doesn't) I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man is in or at least mentioned in the Crystal Dynamics Avengers game.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward"
It has nothing to do with the movie deal. Period. End of Story.

You're wasting your time. This is getting to the point where mods seriously need to step in because every fucking thread people start this shit up and won't accept actual answers and just want to peddle conspiracy theories

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Wait I'm somewhat confused, reading the quotes from the OP, Brian the game director says the game could only be made with Sony because they didnt interfere with the development process and let them do whatever they wanted?

I feel every good successful game falls in line with this quote. Regardless of the platform, if as the game developer you're able to a built the game as envisioned without any interference I'm pretty sure you'll make the exact game you intended.

Do Nintendo and Microsoft not give their trusted developers free reign to build their games however they want!? Rare with Sea of Thieves, Nintendo with Zelda Breathe of the wild?

I just feel like what was quoted in the OP could pass for any game. I thought it was a Sony exclusive because Marvel went to sign a deal with Sony to develop the game and Sony went to Insomniac because they trust them as a developer.

Is Brian's quote to say that if they had gone to Microsoft or even Nintendo, they would interfere with the game development too much and alter the developers original vision?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well, good on Sony for taking a leap of sense (given Insomniac's pedigree and Spiderman's not so "niche" brand recognition). My only wish is that Sony and Insomniac become partners once again in the era of PS5 to bring Spuder-Man 2.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Just to get it out there. Spider-Man can be in a crossover game like CD's Avengers game. The solo Spider-Man games are solely with Sony and Insomniac Games.

Well, good on Sony for taking a leap of sense (given Insomniac's pedigree and Spiderman's not so "niche" brand recognition). My only wish is that Sony and Insomniac become partners once again in the era of PS5 to bring Spuder-Man 2.

This is the case and how it is going to happen. There won't be movie tie-ins or anything like Activision games for multiple platforms.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Wait I'm somewhat confused, reading the quotes from the OP, Brian the game director says the game could only be made with Sony because they didnt interfere with the development process and let them do whatever they wanted?

I feel every good successful game falls in line with this quote. Regardless of the platform, if as the game developer you're able to a built the game as envisioned without any interference I'm pretty sure you'll make the exact game you intended.

Do Nintendo and Microsoft not give their trusted developers free reign to build their games however they want!? Rare with Sea of Thieves, Nintendo with Zelda Breathe of the wild?

I just feel like what was quoted in the OP could pass for any game. I thought it was a Sony exclusive because Marvel went to sign a deal with Sony to develop the game and Sony went to Insomniac because they trust them as a developer.

Is Brian's quote to say that if they had gone to Microsoft or even Nintendo, they would interfere with the game development too much and alter the developers original vision?
It's more like Sony has connections to things they need. Like city building, face animations, engine codes (im just naming stuff). Notice how all the Sony studios are close to each other so the networking is better if insomniac needs help or money to do something Sony can get it for them

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I dont know if this is true and probably was a random as me and u who posted it, but i read MS wanted multiplayer on scalebound and kamiya didnt(plus how development was going)..we know how it ended.
And the Star Wars from amy in EA...the same, EA wanted lootboxes on a narrarive game...rip the game

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I dont know if this is true and probably was a random as me and u who posted it, but i read MS wanted multiplayer on scalebound and kamiya didnt(plus how development was going)..we know how it ended.
And the Star Wars from amy in EA...the same, EA wanted lootboxes on a narrarive game...rip the game

Without a doubt I know this happens a lot in game and movie developments but most dont tend to interfere with a top tier developer. I doubt Microsoft breathes down 343 back about Halo just like Nintendo let's Mario breathe. I guess certain developers have more leeway than others.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Just hope they don't milk the franchise. Maybe one more game with Peter, and then one dedicated to Miles. Or maybe a co-op Peter and Miles game.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
It's exclusive because Marvel wanted Sony to treat one of their IP's like a Sony IP. So they approached them about a collaboration. They then went to Insomniac and asked them if they'd be up for making a game and they were the option to pick from Marvel's entire catalog. They obviously chose Spider-Man. Considering the acclaim its received as well as the rumored sales, it's clear why they made that choice to team up with Sony.
Cool, thanks. I haven't been following along for a while, so I didn't know how this came to be at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Two years later and people still debating about how Sony got this game and refusing to accept the accept what every party involved has to say about it. Does it even matter at this point?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Did Sony pitch the idea to Insomniac and Marvel or was it the other way around? Can't wait to finally get my hands on Spidey today!

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
After the success that is spider man, what are the chances sony acquires insommniac? I know it's said insommniac wants to remain independentf and maybe sony doesn't want to acquire any more studios either (like quantic dream or kojima's studio). Anyone in the know here?