• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
zNaqNO4.png

Theme: The Schism
schism-leilani-bustamante-me-w.jpg

Merriam-Webster said:
schism
noun
\ ˈsi-zəm , ˈski- also ˈshi-; among clergy usually ˈsi- \
Definition of schism

1: DIVISION, SEPARATION also : DISCORD, DISHARMONY a schism between political parties
2a: formal division in or separation from a church or religious body
b: the offense of promoting schism

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, February 22nd by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, February 23rd, and goes until Monday, February 25th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Anonymous Challenge -- Alright, we haven't had one of these in forever, but it used to be an annual staple of the CWC threads. Remember this is *optional* and you do not have to do this if you do not want. But if you do want in, instead of posting your story in the thread, send it to me via PM. I will standardize the formatting and post the entries, and then we can see if we can guess who wrote what!

On the Sunday during the challenge period, we have a regular writing hangout in the Discord server. Pretend to work on your alleged entry with a whole group!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Join the server and follow the instructions there.

Submission Guidelines:
  • One entry per poster.
  • All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
  • Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
  • Keep to the word count!
  • See this image for how to post your submission, please ask for help if you have trouble viewing.

Voting Guidelines:
  • Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes. You may add an honorable mention (HM).
  • Please read all submissions before voting.
  • You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
  • When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge using the thread creation Template
Miss this round? Challenges generally run every two weeks. If you miss one, you only have to wait a few days for the next one to be posted in the current thread.

Previous challenges can be found in the Thread Archive
Here is our full, expanded FAQ

Thanks to C.B. For the lovely banners, Ashes for the entry finding script, and all the users who have contributed to the rules and methods of the regular contests.

Oct 25, 2017
omg so in for anon writing.

Think I already have my idea down between two things. Go for something loving and happy again or do something out of my comfort zone. Shivering in fear.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That picture is great--who painted it? This will be a fun one. I hope I have time to write one this time. I'm still trying to work on an idea I came up for a previous challenge but didn't finish.

It's fun to try and guess who wrote what in the anon challenge.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fun. Glad Mike's doing the anon challenge cause that was probs going to be my next secondary. Anyways I'm glad to be on the guessing side this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Look at all of you music nerds picking out music ahead if time instead of having one unrelated song stuck in your head for a week

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to hone in on if I want schism to be a physical tangible thing or just more of a ideal that has characters fighting over a division thats tearing them apart.

Note about deadlines
OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Going to throw this out there, but I am going to be a bit of a stickler for the deadline since I still need time to format entries and get them up in a reasonable amount of time. If you get it in before I wake up the morning of the 23rd, you are in.

Just remember, this is fucking merciful from me, as I have been known to incorporate mandatory deadlines into the theme.

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up this Sunday (today? however time works) we'll have our usual writing hangout over the writingera discord server at 4pm Est where you can chat with me and Nezumi for two hours and also hopefully get some writing done. The format is ten minutes of chit chat, half an hour of writing, rinse and repeat for two hours.

Only in the hangout will I give hints at what my story will be, get a heads up on my sweet secondary when I end up slamming this story through the fucking hoop, and also about how I'm totally a master chef or something. Be there or be square.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can't access the Discord, it just says [hidden content] when I reply to the OP. Am I doing something wrong here?

Oct 25, 2017
Hangout is live! If you have any trouble with the discord link just let me know and I'll shoot you a link too.

Our format is two hours with ten minutes of chit chat followed by half an hour of silent writing. Rinse and repeat. It's a good time to be productive. We do it in the writing era's discord voice channel for it. Be there or be square. Or a circle. Or a triangle. I don't know, I'm not the shape police.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can't access the Discord, it just says [hidden content] when I reply to the OP. Am I doing something wrong here?
they reworked how the hidden content works.
you can't quote to see you have to post in the thread, it should be visiable for you now that you posted.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hope to get in on this this week. Have to throw another hour or so at my current book, but then I'm thinking of taking a few days off. See if I can bang out a CWC.

Love the secondary!

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapping up my rough draft on this snowy presidents day. I like this story. Though anyone who pays attention to what I've been playing this last week on the discord will know instantly which story is mine.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapping up my rough draft on this snowy presidents day. I like this story. Though anyone who pays attention to what I've been playing this last week on the discord will know instantly which story is mine.
it's not fair for those who aren't on discord.
you should just let people know the secret game you have been playing...

:3

This isn't what flowers has been playing but oddly enough it's not the worst game ever lol

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replying for the discord link. Do we still have a dedicated thread for writing beyond the creative challenges? :)