• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
zNaqNO4.png

Theme: Declarations of Love
Word Limit: 2500

Sometimes words are more powerful than actions and just hearing that affirmation of love just does something inside of you that just makes you smile all goofy and dopey like and makes your heart all aflutter, ya know?

Go maximum cheese or make it maximum serious up to you!

Examples

--
"And you love Yuno, don't you?"

"Yeah, of course I do! I love him more than food, treasure, magic, Sister Lily, everything! I love him so so so much that I love him with my whole heart and my entire body! I even love him more than he loves me! That's, that's how much I love him! I really really love Yuno a lot!" Asta shouted exuberantly as he nodded his head vigorously. The others surprisingly chuckled at how his usual enthusiasm was raised several notches when it came to Yuno. The smile he wore, the way his eyes glittered in the light, and just how bubbly and jubilant he was all reflected how deep and abundant his love for the guy was.
--
"No, not that, I mean," Eijirou stumbled over his words as he furiously blushed. He quickly coughed regaining his composure. "It's a promise ring. All these months I've realized that you were the only one for me. I won't lie and say I didn't have thoughts about other people, and I won't lie and say they haven't tried to take advantage of your absence, but through it all, I've realized its only and will always be you."

As he placed the ring in Denki's hand, he curled Denki's fingers around it. He continued to speak while holding Denki's closed hand.

"I know I can do better, and I will do better. Koichi made me realize you were hurting. I wasn't here when you needed me most. It's no wonder you're like this, but it's also why I fell for you in the first place. You never hide your emotions, you're always true to yourself and others, and you care big time for people you're close with. All this time, you were thinking of me and I was over there fooling around. I'm so terrible. Please don't break up with me."

"Eijirou," Denki said as he embraced him. "I wasn't ever going to do that. I loved, and still love you. Even while I was wondering if you'd moved on, I still knew, somewhere deep down, that you still felt the same way you did when we took that picture so long ago."

"Thank you," Eijirou said as he slumped his head on Denki's shoulder. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." He repeated as his voice trailed to a whisper. "We can make this work. I know it. I promise, I'll talk to you more, visit more, anything so that we can stay together. I won't make the same mistake again. I promise."

--

Submission Deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

t1559372400z4.png

Voting begins Saturday June 1, 2019 and goes until Monday, June 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Academia, make it take place in a traditional high school, university/college, or even go for the stars and make it a Space Academy of Cadets of any age, or maybe take it to the depths below and be a Royal Academy of the Atlantians, etc or even Automatons for something zany and out there like Robots at some AI Training Schooly, I dont know, its your story to tell :D

On the Sunday during the challenge period, we have a regular writing hangout in the Discord server. Pretend to work on your alleged entry with a whole group!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Join the server and follow the instructions there.

If you're new to the group and haven't found the general Writing OT yet, here it is:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/writersera-ot-publish-before-you-die.369/

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!
- See image, ask for help if you have trouble viewing.

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes. You may add an honorable mention (HM).
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge using the thread creation Template

What if I win but I am too shy to make the new challenge?
You can pass on the new challenge honors to the second place winner.

Miscellaneous:

I missed this until too late. When's the next challenge?
They generally run every two weeks. The writing period goes for eleven days (Tuesday to Friday), then voting goes for three days (Saturday to Monday). If you've missed one challenge, you only have to wait a few days for the next one.
Previous challenges can be found in the Thread Archive
Thanks to C.B. For the lovely banners, and ashes for the entry finding script, and all the users who have contributed to the rules and methods of the regular contests.
Here is our full, expanded FAQ

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm so aromantic and borderline asexual that if I manage to scrape something together for this challenge, it'll probably ignore the theme entirely or involve murder.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide which one to go with so uh...

choose a theme

:P

I actually could keep going for a while since love is a very common theme in music lol

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k was also tempting because it's clearly about highschool love that went on to a mostly happy ending :P

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
You can always end your romance with murder, Conkersbadfurday . Or start it that way. Romance as backstory.

In any case, this this could get interesting.

And, uh...
Sometimes words are more powerful than actions and just hearing that affirmation of love just does something inside of you that just makes you smile all goofy and dopey like and makes your heart all aflutter, ya know?
Hmm...

"I love you all so much," Slad declares with a wicked, skin-peeling grin. "More than you will ever know."
"You just burned down the village, murdered my family, and kicked my dog, Slad."

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Searching through my writings, actual declarations of love seem to be something Ive just not been including in most of them. Gotta fix that.
I think the last confession of love I had in my writing was something along the lines of.

"I loved you back then."
"I didn't even know you were capable of love."
"Of course you did. You knew I loved to kill things with fire."
"I suppose I did."

>.>

Oct 25, 2017
Fun story I do like to write romances from time to time.

Bad news: I might decide to write erotica, so brace for that.

Worse news: it might also be anime.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Fun story I do like to write romances from time to time.

Bad news: I might decide to write erotica, so brace for that.

Worse news: it might also be anime.
Next week on Flowers Ball Z
Mr. Satan and Vegeta were having a friendly sparing match, both working up a nice sweat thanks to Vegeta wearing 30 layers of weighted clothing. Vegeta began to overheat and Mr. Satan helped him remove all of his layers and....

Satan x Vegeta the final fantasy.

:P

there I set the bar super low.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also have mine, it involves mechas and lakes!

Oct 25, 2017
I am sick :( so I might channel it into something depressing and low energy

Or I'll wait to write when I'm not sick. I dunno.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
I'm actually quite excited for yours, Landford . There's a lot you could be doing with your declared intended involvement of mechs and lakes, and it's likely already different from the others. I have faith in your ability to pull off whatever this is.

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, what are everyones big ideas of what "love" is? I've honestly always found it a difficult subject cause my parents had kind of a fucked up toxic relationship.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, what are everyones big ideas of what "love" is? I've honestly always found it a difficult subject cause my parents had kind of a fucked up toxic relationship.
I'll just go with the super duper simple answer of....

Love is: when doing something to make someone else happy makes you happy as well.
when that person is sad you are sad as well.
and that person's smile is enough to brighten most of your days.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a title at least lol

hope y'all like blue lakes

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
what are everyones big ideas of what "love" is
You know, its that something that just makes you just feel like you can't wait to see that person again and the moment theyre with you you feel like that moment is better than the moment before, and their the one you just wanna touch and have hold your hand all the time, and that just you know gets you, and makes you complete everything. Like. *swoons* for my dream boyfriend.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Now that I think about it, what are everyones big ideas of what "love" is?
Love is when you really like that television show.
You know, its that something that just makes you just feel like you can't wait to see that person again and the moment theyre with you you feel like that moment is better than the moment before, and their the one you just wanna touch and have hold your hand all the time, and that just you know gets you, and makes you complete everything. Like. *swoons* for my dream boyfriend.
Counter: I'm fairly, fairly certain it is possible to not be happy with someone, even not want to see them at the time, and still love them.

An important thing to consider is that you want the best for them, you want to see them succeed, you want to build them up, and you are willing to sacrifice for them. Times are not always good, but you will bear the hardship, the pain, the times of adversity, and you are willing to give up things that you want because what you want might not be what is best for them. Ideally, this is mutual.

Love is not only about wanting to be together, nor is it about someone's presence making you feel good. You need to be willing to endure the pain, and there will be pain, or what good is this thing that you call "love"?

Another thing to note: If you want to tear someone down, or hurt them in some way, can you really say it is love? This is an often-enough recurring theme in your entries (even if they are, perhaps, just hiding their feelings), and it might be worth taking a moment to think about.
What kind of blue are we talking?
Probably this kind.
0vurlHB.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an adamant believer that one of the best things to help you write better is to read more often. I took out a bunch of poetry books from my local library and have been working through them and one of the books gave me an idea for a scene that's sticking with me and is creating the opening for my story. At least the opening emotions. I'm actually pretty excited with what I'm doing here, though it's not in the direction I think people are expecting.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder: we have our usual Writing Hangout tomorrow (Sunday) over the discord channel at 4pm est.

The usual format is ten minutes of chat, half an hour of writing, rinse and repeat for two hours. We do it over the voice channel and it's a good old time.

I'll post another reminder tomorrow around when it happens. It'll be a fun/productive way to spend a Sunday!

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Wont be at the hangout tomorrow unless there is a total and complete washout of the Indy500 since Ill be at the track

In any case, scrapped my idea I plotted yesterday and redid it today, will probably write tuesday or so.

Gonna do the whole healthy relationship thing since I guess in most of my past ones was always a bully one(?)

Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder in about 20 minutes we have a writing hangout over the discord voice channel. Format as above. Come hangout with me and Nezumi as we shoot the shit for a bit and also get some writing done!

Edit: Hangout is LIVE! Drop on by for a good time!

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Me looking at all the Creative Writing Challenges that I'm missing because I've had non-stop exams for the past month:

CFFENa4WYAA9_CF.jpg

...it all ends in a week, though, so I'll have more than enough time to participate in the next one :)

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say I won't doing the secodary. Excited to say I'm really happy with what I came up for the primary.

...it all ends in a week, though, so I'll have more than enough time to participate in the next one :)

Aw yeah! I get that finals are hard. You've gotta choose your time wisely. Can't say I ain't excited to see you write again.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Mike: If it were not already readily apparent, I had absolutely no idea how to end this. If you asked me to list my strengths in writing, dialogue would be up near the top of it, but that's not really enough to paper over the fact that the conflict here is extraordinarily weak. Guy wants to join a super villain organization. And how does he overcome this obstacle? He just keeps doing the same thing until it eventually works. There's no action besides incidental movements around an apartment, everything of consequence is happening off page. It's possibly a cute vignette, but doesn't quite rise to an actual story of anything.
May 6th Mike clearly has no idea what he's talking about, because this story just won the contest.