• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
zNaqNO4.png

1328873288849622446.jpg

Theme: Endings
Everything must end, so in this challenge lets focus on the depressing inevitability of it all! Does your story have to be depressing? Nope! It should just aim to have something 'end', whatever that may be.

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, July 12th by 11:59 PM PDT

Voting begins Saturday, July 13th and goes until Monday, July 15th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Lets Get Creative!

1cb53b365a1312e8a22c94176902572427d82161_00.gif

Try do something unusual or unique with your piece! Play around with narrators, tenses, formats, or anything else you think would get those creativity juices flowing. Try experimenting with ideas that you haven't done before; the more creative the better!

Note: The colour green will not be considered creative

On the Sunday during the challenge period, we have a regular writing hangout in the Discord server. Pretend to work on your alleged entry with a whole group!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Join the server and follow the instructions there.

If you're new to the group and haven't found the general Writing OT yet, here it is:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/writersera-ot-publish-before-you-die.369/

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes. You may add an honorable mention (HM).
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge using the thread creation Template

What if I win but I am too shy to make the new challenge?
You can pass on the new challenge honors to the second place winner.

Miscellaneous:

I missed this until too late. When's the next challenge?
They generally run every two weeks. The writing period goes for eleven days (Tuesday to Friday), then voting goes for three days (Saturday to Monday). If you've missed one challenge, you only have to wait a few days for the next one.
Previous challenges can be found in the Thread Archive
Thanks to C.B. For the lovely banners, and ashes for the entry finding script, and all the users who have contributed to the rules and methods of the regular contests.
Here is our full, expanded FAQ

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hmm. I tend to favor more open endings for short stories, so having a more definitive ending somewhere is actually going to be a challenge.

Gotta look at my backlog of dumb ideas and see what to do

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
oatmeal ,NoirSuede , mas8705 , are you all ready to be creative for the last time?

We might even be able to skip the non-creativity pact.
I guess I'm in again, then.

But not right now. My ear is infected and the pain is terrible.
That is not a recipe for a good time. I demand you get better within 48 hours. The first day has passed, right?

Hmm. I tend to favor more open endings for short stories, so having a more definitive ending somewhere is actually going to be a challenge.

Gotta look at my backlog of dumb ideas and see what to do
I know! Figure out a creative way to keep the ending open ended despite the finality of the end. Leave it definitively open.

Already have my story idea.
  1. College boys in love
  2. Sportsball
  3. Dramedy
  4. Anime-inspired
Hype.
I thought we were learning to be creative. You should at least throw Lovecraft in there.

I actually have a good enough idea on creativity, but nothing yet story wise. It's a problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Plumb for being so quick with the thread and Eternal Song for being super on top of pinging people. Still not sure what I'm gonna do, I might just write a long seething letter to my dislike of the heat.

Oct 25, 2017
As a heads up we've got a writing hangout over discord in a little less than two hours at 4pm est. The format is 10 minutes of chit chat, half an hour of productivity, rinse and repeat for two hours.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
First time doing something like this. Hopefully my work is somewhat readable!
I am now expecting something that looks like
dr-ambedkars-handwriting.jpg

I uh... can't really read this (to messy for me to care) so I don't know what it says (something about being angry lol), just first thing I found when I typed in "handwritten letter from a doctor" and looked for something to read :P

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Title: The Creation
W.C: 1,114

I am not a native english speaker and I have a writing exam in a few months. I will try to use these challenges as training. Any advice about my grammar is welcome.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to try one of these challenges! :)

Here's my first submission to these challenges: The Sorry Man

Interestingly enough, the first story idea I had was about a character I didn't like at all, so I went along with it and killed the character off lol

EDIT: Editing complete!

Last edited:

Ashes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS. After editing it a few times over, I'm still over the word count by less than 100 words. Hope that's okay. If not, fuck the popo - I'll just lose "votable" status. It was fun enough to get to do some creative writing, and any feedback is welcome!

You will. You've got a day so kill those darlings!

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I got the countdown wrong, sorry! We have quite a bit more time left than just 2 and a half hours. Deleting it for now, so go by the regular date :)

Ashes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As much as it warms my heart to see you pop in here and knowing you are still around it also saddens me to think how long it has been since I read a story of yours.

Aye. Part of the reason why I'm back is that I miss the short stories here. Even if I don't enter I should at least find the time to read the stories.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
#Entry

The Last Elephant

Word Count: 1,678

Password
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Trying a lot of new things out with this one and it's a story that I've wanted to do for a while (hence why I picked the theme lol) so who knows how it's turned out :P Feedback will be much appreciated!

Last edited: