• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
"Skip disturbing scenes" toggle was added in a previous update. Considering sensitive time we're living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better. All scenes alluding to self harm are now completely removed from the game. These scenes have no place in superhot virtual reality. We regret it took us so long.

We're commited to shipping this update to all vr platforms.

-superhot team

Prior to the scenes removal, the game had you
shoot yourself in the face, and later jump off of a building
To progress.

Link: https://store.steampowered.com/news...=103582791458380802&emgid=2992063678829322336

SUPER
HOT
SUPER
HOT
If old

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
thanks for the spoiler explanation as I played through Superhot VR and couldn't recall these scenes at all. I don't think I had any toggle enabled, but maybe I did

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Feels like it should be an optional thing to toggle on (rather than on previously being the default, or being removed entirely) - but hey, it's their game.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It made sense in the context of the story but there's nothing but positives for them doing this change. I personally liked it, but I can see how this can have a negative impact in people (and you never want this kind of negative impact). Great devs, I'm so glad the initial demo got such a good reaction. Their lives could have been so different if it didnt catch the fire it did.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to bet... 20+ pages and a lock for this one?

Ultimately not something I'm a fan of - I like those sorts of scenes, and though I haven't played the VR version, I'd have liked to experience them that way, and it's a bummer I won't be able to without, I dunno, rolling back to a prior update or something.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Honestly not sure how I feel about this. I totally understand having a toggle to skip disturbing scenes, that sounds like a great idea. Even a trigger warning at the start could be good. But, the scenes do feel like they have a point in the context of the theme and story of the game.

But it's their game, they can do what they want. Good on them if they were uncomfortable and wanted it removed, can't judge them.

Considering sensitive time we're living in

This line honestly feels to me that they are being sarcastic or doing this to stir up emotions, but could just be a harmless language quirk.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not really a fan to be honest. Wish they'd just changed the toggle so that it defaults to off, and make you manually enable it if you wanted to see it. Removing it entirely is kind of lame.

Their game and their choice though. If they felt it didn't fit with what they wanted, then that's their choice.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Have yet to play it, but I can get why they removed it. It's one thing to have it as a button you click in a game, but in VR there's an extra element that makes it more "real" to do something like that.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I feel about them completely removing these scenes considering they already had a toggle. But then again I've never played the game so I trust the people who made it to understand the context and necessity of disturbing content over my own.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
While I personally really enjoyed the rooftop leap sequence, I can appreciate that it's a potentially strong trigger for many and that making the experience more accessible to those struggling with trauma is a good move.

I would prefer if they stuck with a toggle but it's their game, their choice.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Leave it as an option. Removing it outright does no one any favors. It's fixing a problem that doesn't need fixing.

So long as it's optional, and you're forced to see the option, everyone gets catered for. Those who want it, and those that don't.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Superhot story is kinda of hardcore and the way they present it is super intense. I can only imagine how that is in a vr environment

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I think they should have left it as the toggle it was before. It fits with the story they are trying to tell.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Not a fan of the wording because it makes it seem like they were pressured into "censoring", but I totally get it. Mental Health for soooo many people over the past year and a half has plummeted. If they don't feel like it's right for their VR game to involve *spoilers* given that, it makes sense.

I wonder if someone on the team, or someone related to someone on the team, has dealt with suicide/self harm and it made them re-evaluate the inclusion.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be better if there was an option to turn it off presented at the beginning of the first playthrough, but it is their game and I respect their decision.

Oct 25, 2017
I only remember playing the demo and, how that ended, I get it.

But the toggle option was there for the exact same reason why they decided to take those parts out: so those sensitive to the content can just block it.

They should have left it alone and provided a clearer warning or, as others mentioned, default it.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While I think the depictions do fit with the story of the game, they aren't integral to telling it

So really they are wholly unneccessary

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why they did it. While I liked the use, we had some younger kids playing it and the whole gun to the head thing was offputting in that context.

Oct 25, 2017
I only played the VR version, and I don't know how different it might have been, but it sort of portrayed it like I wasn't actually committing *self* harm, so much as a remote body or something...

But it is a good thing that they've made this a toggle.
Ah, I misread... it *was* a toggle, and now is fully removed.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I get it, but I wish it was handled like the MW2 No Russian mission was by clearly saying it upfront and giving an option to turn it off.

Alas, I'm not a person that this specific change is designed for.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Self harm in VR reminds me of the Inception problem. Can we even allow these mechanics in some hypothetical future where VR is indistinguishable from reality?

For SuperHot they probably decided the artistic statement wasn't worth the potential for harm, and that's valid.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get the hand-wringing over these scenes and the idea that they have to stay. They add to the narrative but they don't define it. And they are triggering for some folks. So sanctifying them is dumb as fuck.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I get why they would remove it.

Not gonna justify why it should stay in the game (even optionally), ultimately the people making the game make that decision [to clarify: removing potentially harmful content is not an issue, shouldn't be, justifying its existence or necessity of it is where it is fair to criticise]

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. Not so sure about that one. But if you think about it, those moments are intense in a different way from the rest of the game. So removing them alone does widen its appropriateness to much more audience. Specifically younger ones. If it's more focused on considering mental health issues, then I'm sure they really thought about it and the game is clearly their vision. They are free to change that vision, and I don't think outside pressure alone would have changed it.

nmkd

May 23, 2020
I don't understand why they can't make it opt-in.

Having to shoot yourself to progress was quite an intense twist imo.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Was there was some sort of pressure campaign to make this happen? I beat Superhot VR and while it's a bit disturbing, it added to the game for me, personally. That's kind of the vibe the whole game is going for though. I don't know the details of how this change came to be, but I'm not a big fan of art being changed due to public pressure. I'm all for toggles to turn these kinds of things off though.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Damn I can see why but those were the most intense parts of the game

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Reminds me I still have to finish it. Great game but I'm totally consumed by In Death Unchained.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
For better or for worse, I'm glad I got to experience it.

Same here, those moments where hella powerful - not in an emotional way (for me) but in a 'woah this feels crazy - vr tech is insane' way. I am glad they are putting mental health issues first but I somewhat wish they put it behind a toggle which defaulted to being off but could be turned on for those who wished to experience it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This would be like removing completely that MW2 scene... just leave the toggle without censoring yourself.

Glad to have played it back then on PSVR then.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Good choice.

I still get a grossed out whenever I think about Persona 3's "evokers."

Suicide is a serious enough thing that it shouldn't be used as an emotional gimmick for people to go "woah, that was so powerful, it's like I know what it's like to shoot myself in the head now!".

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
… I'm team "should have been a warning and accompanying toggle", but as a self-harm survivor and VR enthusiast I'm not going to pretend that I enjoyed that stuff. Quite the opposite, it really upset me, and I presume that's what they are working to avoid.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doing any of that in the spoilers most definitely hits different in VR. I don't blame them erring to the side of caution.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
"Skip disturbing scenes" doesn't seem very descriptive when this is about something very specific 🤔