• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Grrr. My FICO is high and healthy. But according to Credit Karma my individual Equifax and Transunion scores are significantly lower. I know that I'm still recovering from from a car accident I had (car got totalled, loan account closed, loan account opened, inquiries) and 2 new CCs I got in Oct/Nov, but it's slow going on those. I guess I'll wait till March or so till I apply for either the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Capitol One Venture.

Just frustrating to see the FICO a bit higher than the other ones.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
So I just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred but immediately regret not getting the Reserve. I'm guessing I cant just call and upgrade the card, right? How many months do I have to wait? Ehh, won't cry about it regardless.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I are looking for an additional miles card for our communal purchases.

We've a 75k miles promo offer through Delta and we're thinking it's pretty nice. Thoughts?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
1) Delta or Virgin.
2) $2k in the first 3 (easy); additional $1k in the first 6 months (easy).

Seems like a good idea especially with Delta's reasonable mileage redemptions. And thank you for any tips.

That's a solid offer then. Just making sure it wasn't like the United offer where you needed to drop $10k in six months to get the second part of the bonus.

The only "tip" I have is to cycle spend between you and your wife and sign up for cards separately. Why get a single account with two cards and one bonus, when you can get two accounts, with two sign up bonuses?

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Wife and I are looking for an additional miles card for our communal purchases.

We've a 75k miles promo offer through Delta and we're thinking it's pretty nice. Thoughts?
I find Delta miles to be the worst to use. They don't technically have an award chart so the prices can get crazy high. You already have Chase Reserve/Preferred?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
1) Delta or Virgin.
2) $2k in the first 3 (easy); additional $1k in the first 6 months (easy).

Seems like a good idea especially with Delta's reasonable mileage redemptions. And thank you for any tips.
Actually, there's a reason people call them "Skypesos"

You may be better off biting into the AMEX MR game.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred but immediately regret not getting the Reserve. I'm guessing I cant just call and upgrade the card, right? How many months do I have to wait? Ehh, won't cry about it regardless.

Keep it. After a year, downgrade it to a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Then apply for the Reserve separately. If you upgrade the Preferred you won't get the sign up bonus.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
When people say carry a balance what do they mean? I usually pay everything on my due date but the past two months due to various reasons I've only been able to pay the "Remaining statement balance" in full (for just one card), which has not resulted in interest or late payments. Not going to keep doing that of course, but wondering if that's what people meant.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say carry a balance what do they mean? I usually pay everything on my due date but the past two months due to various reasons I've only been able to pay the "Remaining statement balance" in full (for just one card), which has not resulted in interest or late payments. Not going to keep doing that of course, but wondering if that's what people meant.

They mean not paying it off before the statement period. You can technically carry a balance month to month and never incur any interest so long as you're never late, which is what it seems like you're doing.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Carry a balance = Paying just the minimum. THIS IS BAD AND WILL COST YOU INTEREST.

Pay statement balance in full = Paying all the new charges up to the statement close date. THIS IS GOOD AND WILL NOT COST YOU ANY INTEREST.

Pay current balance in full = Paying all the charges up to today. THIS IS OK. IT WILL NOT COST YOU INTEREST, BUT CAN RESULT IN A ZERO UTILIZATION.

Basically, you NEVER want to carry a balance. Not if you can help it. -- EXCEPTION: You have a zero percent interest rate.

Paying the statement balance is better than paying the current balance as you'll show utilization on your credit report, which can then give you an easier path to higher credit limits and easier approvals for more cards. Paying the current balance isn't bad per se, but it doesn't help if you're trying to maximize rewards. -- EXCEPTION: You don't want your total utilization to go over 30% (ideal is to keep it under 10%) if you're trying to max the rewards/credit score game, so if you have a major purchase, you can pay it down before the statement balance generates.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Carry a balance = Paying just the minimum. THIS IS BAD AND WILL COST YOU INTEREST.

Pay statement balance in full = Paying all the new charges up to the statement close date. THIS IS GOOD AND WILL NOT COST YOU ANY INTEREST.

Pay current balance in full = Paying all the charges up to today. THIS IS OK. IT WILL NOT COST YOU INTEREST, BUT CAN RESULT IN A ZERO UTILIZATION.

Basically, you NEVER want to carry a balance. Not if you can help it. -- EXCEPTION: You have a zero percent interest rate.

Paying the statement balance is better than paying the current balance as you'll show utilization on your credit report, which can then give you an easier path to higher credit limits and easier approvals for more cards. Paying the current balance isn't bad per se, but it doesn't help if you're trying to maximize rewards. -- EXCEPTION: You don't want your total utilization to go over 30% (ideal is to keep it under 10%) if you're trying to max the rewards/credit score game, so if you have a major purchase, you can pay it down before the statement balance generates.

Been doing this for all of my credit cards and my score has been going up slowly and steadily.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Keep it. After a year, downgrade it to a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Then apply for the Reserve separately. If you upgrade the Preferred you won't get the sign up bonus.

My man! Thank you :)

Chase added 48 months rules for Sapphire bonuses

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...on-instead-of-24-months-temporary-workaround/

Workarounds are 24 months as referrals, but CSR referrals are dead, so it only would be for the CSP.

Better try to research rather than just listen to what you want to hear. *evil laugh*

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What's the best card right now to get free airfare/companion fare (ex. 30k miles on sign up/ another 45k if you spend x amount over next 3 months). Looking to get some cheap airfare.

I know many waive fee first year, my credit is strong enough that I can just close a credit card closed without devastating my credit.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely ever do not pay current balance in full shortly after making purchases. I don't purposely wait for statement balance for some utilization black magic to occur. Been doing that for years and I have an 836 credit rating. Don't overthink it. Just pay your balances before they incur interest.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What's the best card right now to get free airfare/companion fare (ex. 30k miles on sign up/ another 45k if you spend x amount over next 3 months). Looking to get some cheap airfare.

I know many waive fee first year, my credit is strong enough that I can just close a credit card closed without devastating my credit.

It's not their best deal (card used to offer 60k), but 50k miles for $95 is a pretty good deal and AA has decent redemption rates.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/aadvantage-aviator-red-world-elite-mastercard/

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Southwest. Companion pass is OP.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Pay the statement, don't pay the full balance normally. But maintain a low utilization. Can be difficult on a card with a low balance. Get it raised if need be.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
is it really just, you get two tickets (for one specific additional person that can't change) whenever you get one ticket?

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/complete-guide-southwest-companion-pass/

The key value lies in the fact that this benefit is repeatable an unlimited number of times and it is not subject to availability of any special fare class. As long as there is a seat available for sale on the plane, a Southwest Companion pass holder can add his/her companion to their reservation and pay only the taxes ($5.60 one-way on domestic flights within the US).

Once a member has earned 110,000 Rapid Rewards points, he or she can designate a companion to fly with the pass holder for free. Note that this companion can be changed 3 times per calendar year. While initial companion selection is done online, any subsequent changes to your companion require a phone call to Southwest Rapid Rewards at 1-800-435-9792. The phone process is simple: in my experience, it has taken less than 5 minutes to change my companion.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
So I just got the Preferred card. I have 50,100 ultimate rewards points on my Chase Freedom card. I read somewhere that you could transfer all those points to the Preferred card but I can't find the option. Wtf?

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the word on utilizing 100% credit limit? I got a balance transfer offer that I can transfer one of my other cards completely over but it'll set it at 100% utilization. Racked up some debt from undergrad and being dumb.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What's the word on utilizing 100% credit limit? I got a balance transfer offer that I can transfer one of my other cards completely over but it'll set it at 100% utilization. Racked up some debt from undergrad and being dumb.

Maxing out a card is fine.

Maxing out your entire limit? DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
i predominantly fly on AA, i should probably get this, right?

Get the Citi AA card and this one. The Citi one has no annual fee the first year, but has a min spend to get miles. This one has an annual fee, but no min spend for the miles. Just close one of the two after the first year so you're not double paying the annual fee.

If you fly AA with luggage, the annual pays for itself quickly as you and your party get free checked bags.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I am really enjoying my Bank of America Platinum card. $95 annual fee is worth it when you can have over thousands of dollars in rewards points at the end of the year. Currently just got my 50k points and been thinking of using it for a trip outside the country or Hawaii. Any recommendations on what plane should I fly to Hawaii?

Oct 26, 2017
Just discovered this thread. I only have on credit card---an Amazon Chase card. I put about 1000 on it a month, and pay off in full each month. I think it might be time to upgrade. I don't travel ever though. Anyone have any recommendations? I am overwhelmed.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just discovered this thread. I only have on credit card---an Amazon Chase card. I put about 1000 on it a month, and pay off in full each month. I think it might be time to upgrade. I don't travel ever though. Anyone have any recommendations? I am overwhelmed.

If travel isn't for you seems like you need a cash back card. Spend a lot on gas? Dining?

There are cards geared towards that. But also flat out, get a Citi Double cash card for sure. In addition to another new card.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Carrying a balance means not paying off the statement balance in full before the due date. That's the only portion of the balance you have to worry about. The rest of it won't cause finance charges.

When they print your bill just make sure to pay that statement balance before the due date. Whatever you charge after that bill prints isn't due until the following due date.