Credit Card Rewards Thread

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I would contemplate it if the credits weren't limited to delivery. Being in Chicago I probably average more than $100 a year in ordering food not expensed through work. If I do this though, I try to pick up the food rather than do delivery to avoid the excessive delivery fees that end up being half the cost of the meal at times....BEFORE tip.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Contemplating getting a travel card but I'm having a hard time deciding between Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Capital Rewards Venture card. They both seem very similar so I'd like to know if anyone had either card and what they think of it. I do plan on doing some traveling next year so the sooner the better.

sangreal

Oct 25, 2017
Having not paid attention to the rumors... if it is delivery credits on top of the travel credit I'd probably stick with it. If we are losing the travel credit and increasing fee probably not

tbh most of my travel credit goes to uber eats anyway (same w/ inferior amex plat credit)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Rumor of increase in the Reserve?! Fuck. What am I gonna do with all of these UR points. I only have until about September before it renews...

Chan

Oct 25, 2017
Contemplating getting a travel card but I'm having a hard time deciding between Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Capital Rewards Venture card. They both seem very similar so I'd like to know if anyone had either card and what they think of it. I do plan on doing some traveling next year so the sooner the better.
Capital One doesn't have anything comparable to the Reserve, the Venture Card is closer to the Sapphire Preferred.

If you're just wanting a single card for everything the Venture isn't a terrible option, but its when you buy into these bank's system is when you start racking up points.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Sapphire Reserve all the way. The benefits I’ve gotten from them has been amazing. This year I’ve probably benefitted from over $1000 across points and the travel credit back. Last year I got a nice boutique hotel in Boston through their concierge system using the UR. It’s been awesome.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
It honestly depends on what your looking for in a travel card. Are you looking for a general travel card, more hotel-centric, airline-centric, lounge access, signing bonuses, etc? FYI, the Sapphire Reserve is $450 (possibly $550) AF whereas the Venture card is $95 AF which is a huge difference. Sapphire Preferred is more its competition.

Imo CSP/CSR is a better value especially now that the 10x point bonus on hotels.com with the Venture card is going away next month.

Chan

Oct 25, 2017
If you're traveling mainly in the US I would take a closer look at the revamped AMEX Green especially if your main airport has CLEAR. Its got a $150 AF but $100 credit towards CLEAR, $100 credit towards Loungebuddy, and 3x on dining/travel/transit. You'll get trip delay insurance starting next month with the AMEX Green as well.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be doing a lot of international travel soon so things like lounge access and trip insurance are big factors for me. Im starting to lean more towards the CSR but is the difference between it and the preferred warrant the extra annual fee?

Chan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be doing a lot of international travel soon so things like lounge access and trip insurance are big factors for me. Im starting to lean more towards the CSR but is the difference between it and the preferred warrant the extra annual fee?
Do you have Global Entry already? If not CSR got you covered, that’ll give you $100 back in your pocket. CSR has much better trip coverages and primary car rental insurance which I can’t stress enough if you rent cars.

Chan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes CSR is the endgame Chase card, $300 travel credit makes the difference $50. The perks out way the $50 for most.
Well endgame Chase card is the JP Morgan Reserve, which is just $600 AF card by invite only, it’s just the CSR with dick waving power. You need somewhere along the lines of $10 million in assets with Chase/JP Morgan to get an invite.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have Global Entry already? If not CSR got you covered, that’ll give you $100 back in your pocket. CSR has much better trip coverages and primary car rental insurance which I can’t stress enough if you rent cars.
Don't have global entry, only TSA pre check. It seems like I should go for the reserve. I have a two other cards, my Amazon Prime card which is paid off and a Captial One cash back card I got a few years back to help rehabilitate my credit. Was also worried about having too many credit card, so I was also thinking about just moving things over to one card and maximize benefits.

Chan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have global entry, only TSA pre check. It seems like I should go for the reserve. I have a two other cards, my Amazon Prime card which is paid off and a Captial One cash back card I got a few years back to help rehabilitate my credit. Was also worried about having too many credit card, so I was also thinking about just moving things over to one card and maximize benefits.
If you want to maximize your benefits then you want to go with a trifecta of Chase cards. CSR, Chase Freedom, and Chase Freedom Unlimited; I’d personally replace the CFU with a business Chase Ink.