• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Should I ditch my starter credit card?

I still have my regular, no benefits/points Capital One credit card I got back in 2008 when I turned 21 (got it to help me build credit). But I never use it since my other cards give me points (used it to buy a gift card a month ago to keep it active).

This is my current set-up:

-Amazon Prime Chase Card (I use Amazon A LOT so this is a no-brainer, plus the 2% back for gas is nice)
-Discover It (5% for restaurants right now)
-Uber Visa (my most recent card, thought it was too good to be true lol)

If it is no annual fee, don't ditch it. Just toss it in a drawer.

Keep the age and limit live on your report.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
So i just got my Chase Sapphire Business Ink and now i'm looking for a good card for Gas & Groceries, Preferably without a fee attached to it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Right now the only card i'm seeing that might be decent is the Blue Cash Everyday® Card.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, very specific question born mostly out of curiosity than anything else:

some credit cards give extra cash back or bonus points for streaming services, Apple Music being one of them. But Apple Music, at least for me, comes through as any random iTunes bill. How do the merchants sort the transactions to find out what is AM versus literally anything else I buy digitally?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So i just got my Chase Sapphire Business Ink and now i'm looking for a good card for Gas & Groceries, Preferably without a fee attached to it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Right now the only card i'm seeing that might be decent is the Blue Cash Everyday® Card.
Aside from the rotating categories with Discover and Freedom, Sam's Club or Costco if you're a member of either.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure yes. Parking, tolls, hotels, air fare, cab fare...lots of things qualify for that travel credit.

Imo, even once a year is worth it. The perks are insane for the minimal fee difference to the Preferred. The lounge pass, oh man that thing made our trip to Italy much better.
How does the lounge pass work if you have a family? I was thinking of dropping my delta sky miles and upgrading my chase sapphire but it doesn't look like chase travel rewards work for delta.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canadian checking in.

I've got an Amex Cobalt I use for all my daily purchases and a standard no-fee bank VISA for all my purchases where Amex isn't accepted. I prefer cashback over travel rewards - are there better cards out there that anyone could recommend?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's better than all non rewards cards and pretty decent as a rewards card.

people who use Apple pay for everything will see the most cash back
I use Apple Pay for everything and get better cash back.
This reason doesn't make sense because you can add almost any card to Apple Pay.

If you got a better percentage from AP purchases I might have considered it.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Is it bad to close a credit card account, especially if you haven't had it long? I have two with annual fees I want to drop, they're the newest cards I've gotten - both within the past year.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Is it bad to close a credit card account, especially if you haven't had it long? I have two with annual fees I want to drop, they're the newest cards I've gotten - both within the past year.
Closing an account will hurt your credit and shorten your average account length, which is another component to your score. Which means you're essentially getting dinged twice. The latter hurts worse long term because you want a long average of open account lengths.

It's usually not a good idea to close a credit card account unless you absolutely have to. I'd try calling them and seeing if you can upgrade the card to a no fee type that the company may provide for other customers. Worth a shot.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Closing an account will hurt your credit and shorten your average account length, which is another component to your score. Which means you're essentially getting dinged twice. The latter hurts worse long term because you want a long average of open account lengths.

It's usually not a good idea to close a credit card account unless you absolutely have to. I'd try calling them and seeing if you can upgrade the card to a no fee type that the company may provide for other customers. Worth a shot.
It will help your age if it's a relatively new card. I'm tempted to close out my Slate so I can get the bonus again if I ever need it.

Feb 1, 2018
the narrative is that it's not a very good card.

It's no Chase trifecta of course. IMO if you're a heavy apple pay user then the 2% is pretty nice, the 3% on apple things (software/services and hardware) is nice, and the no-fee + fancy metal card is nice too.

I think the Fidelity Rewards 2% back on everything is the closest equivalent

A lot of people also just don't have the patience/attention span to deal with rotating categories every month, a flat rate can be perceived as more convenient, in a "set it and forget it" way

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for FICO, closed accounts are included in average age unless/until they fall off (7-10+ years). The only immediate hit is to utilization

vantagescore does not include them though (or so I've read -- not that anyone should worry too much about their VS)

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It's no Chase trifecta of course. IMO if you're a heavy apple pay user then the 2% is pretty nice, the 3% on apple things (software/services and hardware) is nice, and the no-fee + fancy metal card is nice too.

I think the Fidelity Rewards 2% back on everything is the closest equivalent

A lot of people also just don't have the patience/attention span to deal with rotating categories every month, a flat rate can be perceived as more convenient, in a "set it and forget it" way

No everyone takes Apple Pay. And there are cards (Citi Double Cash, PayPal MC) that give a flat 2% back on everything. So you get your 2% back when using Apple Pay and you still get your 2% back when shopping at places that don't use Apple Pay (vs the Apple Card's 1% back).

If the Apple Card offered a flat 2% EVERYWHERE and then offered 3-6% back as an Apple Pay incentive it would be more competitive with standard rewards cards.

Right now the rewards it offers require extra work for no benefit.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any good replacements for the Citi Double Cash card? I've had it for a few years and I've loved it, but I'm rethinking the card since they've killed all the good programs recently.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, that 25 extra points on IHG stays with the IHG Rewards Club Premier CC is tempting. I would be getting 45 points per dollar for the next 12 months and definitely would make some serious spending due to work. Ridiculous.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Apple Card is upping its 3% category in the near future, starting with Uber and Uber Eats. The Uber credit card, for reference is 2% back on Uber rides and 4% back on Uber Eats.

They should just make it 3% for all online purchases then it'd be viable over the BoA card.

The BoA card gives you 3% off online, and that includes app based purchases like Uber and food delivery services (Uber Eats, Postmates, Door Dash etc) and even digital subscriptions.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get the regular bank of america cash rewards and the WWF version. Got the sign up bonus twice! I'm planning on using one as a gas card and one as an online purchases outside of amazon card since I can set the 3% category seperately. Compliments the chase cards I have well.

I have a citi double cash card right now that I'm debating getting rid of. It's not my oldest and doesn't have a huge line of credit, so it's kinda useless at this point. I kept it around in my wallet so I would have a Mastercard to go with my Visas, but the BoA card that I use for gas can fulfill that purpose now. Would be nice to keep the places I manage my cards to two since I just added BoA.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
How would I go about getting a lower interest rate? I'm still using the first credit card (Amazon Card through Chase) I got years ago which has a APR of 24% I believe.

Would it be worth it to try to get a lower interest rate on this card or just apply for another?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
How would I go about getting a lower interest rate? I'm still using the first credit card (Amazon Card through Chase) I got years ago which has a APR of 24% I believe.

Would it be worth it to try to get a lower interest rate on this card or just apply for another?

You can call them. If your credit is good now you could prob get better.

Of course some big rewards cards have permanently high interest rates

Just make sure you don't get hit with it of course

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Why are you trying to lower your interest rate?

If you're thinking about a big purchase you can't pay off, you would be way better off using an introductory rate on a new card.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Why are you trying to lower your interest rate?

If you're thinking about a big purchase you can't pay off, you would be way better off using an introductory rate on a new card.
You really shouldn't be carrying a balance on a credit card. At that point, you don't worry about the interest rate.

I had to put a large mandatory bill on it for my vehicle a few days ago that I don't think I'll be able pay off within the month.

It'll be paid off entirely before or during October, but I'm worried about the interest for that time period.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I had to put a large mandatory bill on it for my vehicle a few days ago that I don't think I'll be able pay off within the month.

It'll be paid off entirely before or during October, but I'm worried about the interest for that time period.
Find a 0% card with balance transfer. Bank Of America Rewards does I think. I just know because I recently signed up. I kind of feel like a shill for them right now...

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

You can try asking, but I would be worried that it would only apply to purchases going forward. It may be too late for that one.

Find a 0% card with balance transfer. Bank Of America Rewards does I think. I just know because I recently signed up. I kind of feel like a shill for them right now...
All but one or two of them have a transfer fee (Slate and one of the Amex cards, IIRC). We're talking about less than 2% of a fee appearing on his October bill, so it really wouldn't be worth it.

Oct 28, 2017
California
The latest card I got was the Uber Visa last month.

How long should I wait before applying for another credit card? (I currently have the Uber Visa, Discover It, and Amazon Prime Visa as my set-up, and two other cards that I don't use regularly).

Since I don't have any of the Chase Trifecta cards, is it worth only getting one?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The latest card I got was the Uber Visa last month.

How long should I wait before applying for another credit card? (I currently have the Uber Visa, Discover It, and Amazon Prime Visa as my set-up).

Since I don't have any of the Chase Trifecta cards, is it worth only getting one?

If you get more than 5 cards in 24 months Chase will auto decline apps. Get Chase cards, then get others.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The discounted saver awards on AA for CC holders are legit.

Just booked 2 split (Econ one way, First the other) transcon RT tickets for a total of 60k miles at a value of around 4.8 cpm.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Amex has a 40% transfer bonus to Avios until October 1. I'm working on the min spend for the Plat right now with a statement closing date on the 22nd. If I hit the mind apend before Sep 22, will I get the bonus points right away? I know that's how UR bonuses work.

I know Amex is touchy about MS, but am I okay Venmoing my wife if I end up a few hundred short? Even a $30 fee would be well worth it for 40,000 bonus Avios.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times so I apologize in advance, but it's been kind of difficult for me to find a straight answer to this (that's not from PayPal itself):

Does using a credit card through PayPal mean you still earn all the categories-based rewards you would expect? All my cards are cash back card so I'm very sensitive to merchant categories. I also don't like plugging in my card number whenever possible so I try to use some kind of digital wallet (Apple Pay, PayPal). I know Apple Pay just presents your card in a different way so the categories remain untouched, but PayPal transactions always have "PAYPAL" affixed to the front of them so I'm wondering if that messes with this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times so I apologize in advance, but it's been kind of difficult for me to find a straight answer to this (that's not from PayPal itself):

Does using a credit card through PayPal mean you still earn all the categories-based rewards you would expect? All my cards are cash back card so I'm very sensitive to merchant categories. I also don't like plugging in my card number whenever possible so I try to use some kind of digital wallet (Apple Pay, PayPal). I know Apple Pay just presents your card in a different way so the categories remain untouched, but PayPal transactions always have "PAYPAL" affixed to the front of them so I'm wondering if that messes with this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

Most credit cards let you click on the transaction to see what category it lands in, no?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
So I've started to finally build credit a bit more yet I only have two CC's and am an amateur at rewards. I use my Wells Fargo cards I was initially issued and have been using a chase freedom unlimited for about 10 months.

I would love to build towards traveling. I spend money on clothes, eating out and of course gas like any good Californian. Any tips here?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most credit cards let you click on the transaction to see what category it lands in, no?

Most do, yes. I went back and found some on one of my cards, and it looks like most of the time the merchant category comes through correctly, but sometimes it gets received as "computer network/information systems" (at least according to Discover) which they definitely are not. So, yeah. I guess not all the time for whatever weird reason?