• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feels weird to have a second AmEx card (already have BCP) just to get the cell phone insurance and higher dining cashback. As a family, we probably spend ~$3K on eating out per year, so the difference between Propel's 3% and 2% (Citi Double Cash) is only $30, even assuming everything is coded correctly.

At least there's a sign up bonus. :/

Blue Cash Preferred - groceries, gas, travel, streaming, offers
Propel - dining, phone
Double Cash - everything else (2%)

Last edited:

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Just got an e-mail from Barclay that says the Uber card changes go into effect for your billing cycle starting 2/2020 for current card holders

I just got this too. It was the daily driver for anything my GF and I were splitting, which frequently was eating out and travel. Not sure if I'm going to relegate it to Ubers only or chuck it in the bin

Oct 28, 2017
California
Looks like I'll get the Chase Freedom Unlimited or the Citi Double Cash card to replace the Uber Visa.

I'd get the Target Red Card, but I already have the Discover It which includes Target in it's current quarterly category.

Oh and in that article, that fucking spin though on trying to justify the changes LMAO

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Looks like I'll get the Chase Freedom Unlimited or the Citi Double Cash card to replace the Uber Visa.

I'd get the Target Red Card, but I already have the Discover It which includes Target in it's current quarterly category.

Oh and in that article, that fucking spin though on trying to justify the changes LMAO

Get the RedCard regardless. 5% at Target anytime (at time of purchase, don't even have to wait for cash back) is better than 5% for three months out of the year. ;)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yes, you get hard inquires on your credit score which downgrade it.
My score went down 20 points by opening the new credit card with wellsfargo - is this normal?

Unless your credit is below 680, don't worry about it too much. It'll bounce back quick enough.

And if your score is over 740? No one cares about the swing. If you're at 780 and it drops 20 points, it means absolutely nothing in terms of how you are rated.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Citi Double Cash have any advantage over the PayPal Mastercard now that the majority of the Citi Double Cash benefits have been nixed?

Also, any issues with applying for the Capital One Savor for the intro offer and annual fee waived for first year and then PC to the SavorOne card?

I plan to space out when I apply for these cards. Citi Double Cash or PayPal MC I will likely apply for this week. I'll apply for the Savor or SavorOne (depending on PC success) when my Uber Visa benefits expire in February.

Last edited:

MaritalWheat

Oct 28, 2017
Came here to also bitch about the Uber Card downgrade. I might have still used it at 3% dining, but Uber Cash only? Get outta here.

Annoyed I wasted the credit check on it this year. Only upside of finding a new daily driver is that the damn chip doesn't read half the places I try using it at anyways.

/salt

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta figure out a way to spend $4,000 in 3 months fam. Holidays are coming up and I have a wedding so I know I'll be throwing it down for that. I don't think that work spending + personal spending is going to cut it, unless I make a rent payment using the card. Want to avoid doing that.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta figure out a way to spend $4,000 in 3 months fam. Holidays are coming up and I have a wedding so I know I'll be throwing it down for that. I don't think that work spending + personal spending is going to cut it, unless I make a rent payment using the card. Want to avoid doing that.

Buy gift cards where you shop for groceries. It's a good way to buy something you know you'll use without buying an Amazon gift card and then just ending up overspending on shit you don't need.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Buy gift cards where you shop for groceries. It's a good way to buy something you know you'll use without buying an Amazon gift card and then just ending up overspending on shit you don't need.

So technically, I should be fine with spending a few hundred on a Trader Joe gift card?

I checked the fee for using my credit card to pay rent - it's actually 2.5%, which I might be fine with. I may just end up doing that for this month and letting regularly spending take care of the remaining.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
So technically, I should be fine with spending a few hundred on a Trader Joe gift card?

I checked the fee for using my credit card to pay rent - it's actually 2.5%, which I might be fine with. I may just end up doing that for this month and letting regularly spending take care of the remaining.

Yeah, buy Trader Joe's gift cards. The credit card company has no way of telling what you bought at Trader Joe's so there is no way to disqualify purchases, just hit $4000.

Don't eat the fee on your rent.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Uber cards. Was my go to when my Discover IT and Chase Freedom wouldn't get the 5% cashback. I'll need to find a new card with decent rewards and doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. Any advice on an adequate card on this front?

Oct 28, 2017
California
Still fuming over the Uber card, but oh well. Cashed out last night and it got deposited today.

RIP Uber cards. Was my go to when my Discover IT and Chase Freedom wouldn't get the 5% cashback. I'll need to find a new card with decent rewards and doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. Any advice on an adequate card on this front?

I don't have it myself but if you're looking for a daily driver, I've heard the Citi Double Cash card is the way to go.

You get 2% back on everything (1% when you use it and you get the other 1% when you pay it off).

Edit: Didn't see the "no foreign transaction fee" part sorry. The CDC has a 3% foreign transaction fee so that might be a deal-breaker.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, buy Trader Joe's gift cards. The credit card company has no way of telling what you bought at Trader Joe's so there is no way to disqualify purchases, just hit $4000.

Don't eat the fee on your rent.

I didn't think about this, but I live in Chicago and I can also essentially pre-pay some of my transit pass, $100 at a time. The only thing here is that I receive a pre-tax benefit for this at my current job, so I would be losing out on that benefit which amounts to $100s of dollars for what I pay for transportation annually. It would be then dumb to use this for manufacturer spending, but at the same time, I want to use up my $300 travel credit ASAP since I want to use my card for work reimbursement.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
So I am thinking of going the following route to replace my missing Uber Visa benefits. Here are my current cards.

AMEX BCP: 6% - Groceries, Gift Cards (Visa/Amazon/Gas etc)
Uber Visa: 5% - Uber Eats and Uber
Chase Freedom: 5% - Rotating
Discover IT: 5% - Rotating

With Uber Visa being used only for Uber Eats and Uber rides soon, I have some spending categories missing. These are 4% restaurants/entertainment and 2% online shopping. I was thinking of adding the following cards over time (a year most likely).

Capital One SavorOne: 3% - Dining/Entertainment
BoA Cash Rewards: 3% - Online Purchases
Citi Double Cash or PayPal Cashback: 2% - Everything else.

What do you guys think of this strategy?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I lucked out with my Capital One Savor card. I got that card back when it was 3% CB on dining with no annual fee, but when they upgraded to 4%, I got grandfathered in without having to pay the annual fee. Nice for me since dining is probably the bulk of my credit card purchases.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm glad I didn't get the Uber Visa but Barclay knew it wasn't sustainable without an annual fee.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Discover It 2020 categories are up

Looks like a repeat of the 2019 categories with a few extras (which is great for me!)

5Km0zDk.png

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so two new amazon deals (that use rewards points) popped up.

if you have a discover card you might get one of two promotions
I personally got 20% off up to $250

and if you have AMEX
you can get $20 off $100 or more

both offers are YMMV but I had both and hope others in here have them as well :)

and yes I likely could have linked them directly but I wanted to give the people that originally posted them credit.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Got the Discover offer but it's not linking my points to Amazon so I'm unable to use it.
Says I have to call Discover but they say it looks fine on their end.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Since the Uber Visa is dead, decided to apply for Citi Double Cash since I don't have a daily driver. Got approved last night and hopefully I get the card sometime this week.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumors of Chase increasing AF for the Reserve to $550 with delivery credits, still a great card.