• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Rumors of Chase increasing AF for the Reserve to $550 with delivery credits, still a great card.

That... would not be good. In my situation I would definitely not make up the difference in delivery credits or lounges, I hardly use either because I travel domestically for work (not much time to go to a lounge during short domestic layovers) and the other is pointless because I prefer home cooking.

Raising the annual fee for something I would almost never use would be very depressing. I assume the best way to deal with this would be to cash out my points and cancel the card before my renewal month?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That... would not be good. In my situation I would definitely not make up the difference in delivery credits or lounges, I hardly use either because I travel domestically for work (not much time to go to a lounge during short domestic layovers) and the other is pointless because I prefer home cooking.

Raising the annual fee for something I would almost never use would be very depressing. I assume the best way to deal with this would be to cash out my points and cancel the card before my renewal month?

Downgrade to Preferred or regular no annual fee Sapphire or any other Chase card with no AF before renewal.

It was inevitable that Chase increases the AF or reduces benefit to the Reserve, its just that good of a travel card.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Can't decide if I'll go back to the amazon visa(2% cb on restaurants) when this Uber visa turns into a pumpkin or go for the capital one savor (3% cb)

Oct 28, 2017
California
I wonder if I can upgrade my oldest card (Capital One no perks) to a Savor One? I've gotten offers before to convert it to a Quicksilver but I never did. I should call them.

PelvisParsley

Jan 25, 2019
I travel 2-3 times a year so lounge access alone makes up for the $100 increase.
Have you noticed a decrease in the availability of lounge access? Maybe because I fly out of JFK, but they've significantly reduced the access hours for Priority Pass members and its practically filled to the brim at all times. No longer feels like much of a feature in that regard.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a card with 0 dollar fee and zero apt for at least a year for a balance transfer?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you noticed a decrease in the availability of lounge access? Maybe because I fly out of JFK, but they've significantly reduced the access hours for Priority Pass members and its practically filled to the brim at all times. No longer feels like much of a feature in that regard.

it's really because there's too many Sapphire Reserve members. When I fly it's mainly international and the international lounges are mostly empty.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After doing what I needed to do to fix my credit and bringing my score up I went ahead and applied for the Chase Sapphire Preffered card. I got a $5000 limit and am very excited.

Best of all is that sweet offer they have right where if you spend $4000 in 3 months you get 60,000 points back which I'll easily hit. Are there any other ways to maximize your rewards with it?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After doing what I needed to do to fix my credit and bringing my score up I went ahead and applied for the Chase Sapphire Preffered card. I got a $5000 limit and am very excited.

Best of all is that sweet offer they have right where if you spend $4000 in 3 months you get 60,000 points back which I'll easily hit. Are there any other ways to maximize your rewards with it?

Transferring points to travel partners when bonuses are around otherwise use the Chase portal to redeem at 1.25x for travel.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Target sent me a birthday gift for having my target redcard which was for 5% off purchases in store/online. Isnt the card already giving me 5% off every purchase anyway? This doesn't make sense to me.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Chase Freedom card. I have around an 800 dollar balance right now. I havent been using much, only for big purchases. Am I doing the rewards thing wrong? Is it based off number of transactions or total amount spent?

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I have the Chase Freedom card. I have around an 800 dollar balance right now. I havent been using much, only for big purchases. Am I doing the rewards thing wrong? Is it based off number of transactions or total amount spent?

You get 1% on every dollar spent. I dont think it goes based on transactions.
They do cap on the 5% during the quarter offers.
I think you're doing fine.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't that card have rotating 5% categories?
As long as you're spending on the specific categories every quarter, you're earning that percentage. Otherwise, you're earning 1% on all other transactions. If you don't have other cards than this is better than nothing so I would say you're doing it right

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread and a couple links, this all is hella complicated. Mostly just because of too many options.

I've been using the standard CC my bank gave me when I opened an account 12 years ago. I have a MyBestBuy credit account for big purchases with zero interest and a PayPal credit account.

Is there something simple that has no annual fees and gives me cash back on most things and (this is what initially started making me look for a new card) extends the warranty on purchases like expensive electronics (TVs, etc)? Something that gives 0% interest on big purchases when I make them would also be great (that's why I use the best buy card, but that doesn't give me anything extra).

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Reading this thread and a couple links, this all is hella complicated. Mostly just because of too many options.

I've been using the standard CC my bank gave me when I opened an account 12 years ago. I have a MyBestBuy credit account for big purchases with zero interest and a PayPal credit account.

Is there something simple that has no annual fees and gives me cash back on most things and (this is what initially started making me look for a new card) extends the warranty on purchases like expensive electronics (TVs, etc)? Something that gives 0% interest on big purchases when I make them would also be great (that's why I use the best buy card, but that doesn't give me anything extra).
I can't think of any rewards cards that have 0% interest forever. Even the most simple ones such as the Freedom Unlimited, which gives you 1.5% cash back on all purchases, has an APR. Many cards have an introductory 0% APR but it lasts around 12-15 months, depending on the card.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Citi Double Cash, PayPal MC, and Synchrony Bank card are all a flat 2% back if you want a no effort cash back card.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

If you got a Costco close, get the Costco card. Annual Fee is the membership, and has solid returns for what is effectively a no fee card.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is targeted or not but just got an offer from Chase/Amazon for 2% back on all purchases until February 29th with the Amazon Visa.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, 2% on all purchases.

Except the stuff already in a higher tier like Amazon, Whole Foods, etc...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
was just going through my AMEX offers and saw this (obviously YMMV)

J4h0DWq.png

I was looking for a different promotion (which I didn't have which was money back at office depo) but I will take that since I'm pretty sure I've maxed out my discover quarter now lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I use ultimate rewards to buy an airplane ticket for someone else? I've always just redeemed points for cash on my Chase Freedom card but the 60,000 point bonus on the Sapphire Preferred would be great for flying a family member over to visit us.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Can I use ultimate rewards to buy an airplane ticket for someone else? I've always just redeemed points for cash on my Chase Freedom card but the 60,000 point bonus on the Sapphire Preferred would be great for flying a family member over to visit us.

Yes. I've purchased tickets for family members with my points numerous times.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright so I miiiiiiiiight be an idiot. I have the Amex Blue Cash Preferred with the $300 statement credit for spending $1000 within the first 90 days. That time frame is almost up, and I thought I'd get clever and buy one of those Visa cards. Well I just poured through the card terms (afterwards, of course) and it specifically calls out cards and other cash-equivalents as not valid for both that offer and rewards in general. I assume they get this information from the merchant in some way so they can disqualify it?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Alright so I miiiiiiiiight be an idiot. I have the Amex Blue Cash Preferred with the $300 statement credit for spending $1000 within the first 90 days. That time frame is almost up, and I thought I'd get clever and buy one of those Visa cards. Well I just poured through the card terms (afterwards, of course) and it specifically calls out cards and other cash-equivalents as not valid for both that offer and rewards in general. I assume they get this information from the merchant in some way so they can disqualify it?

Depends on how the merchants codes it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got an Apple Card on a whim over the holidays. It's only the third credit card I've ever opened (got a Chase joint some months back to help with a legal issue, and I've had an amazon store card for awhile).

As someone otherwise not all that versed in the realm of credit, it seems to be a pretty basic card. The daily cash back perk is nice if you're gonna use Apple Pay a lot, but other than that, it's more a convenience thing for me than anything.

Definitely think I'm gonna stop opening up lines of credit for a long time now though lol

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I read somewhere that AMEX is removing extended warranty benefits after December 31, 2019. I think in general AMEX had the best policy for this...

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AMEX heavily looks down upon people who buy gift cards or sends money to get SUB. They do actually look into what you're spending it on so PayPal/Venmo/etc out of the equation. Can you prepay your car insurance?
I read somewhere that AMEX is removing extended warranty benefits after December 31, 2019. I think in general AMEX had the best policy for this...

They had the best policy because they extended it for 2 years after purchase and actually take care of you. It was a significant money loss so they're getting rid of it across the board I think.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AMEX heavily looks down upon people who buy gift cards or sends money to get SUB. They do actually look into what you're spending it on so PayPal/Venmo/etc out of the equation. Can you prepay your car insurance?

I just bought my girlfriend her Christmas present early. It's expensive and I'm still in the interest-free period of this card so I'm not bothered

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email for Amazon Prime triple rewards on electronics best sellers.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone have trouble getting Uber visa to credit their digital subs? Just realized my last two hbo now subs never resulted in credits. Guess I need to contact support or something.