• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I would contemplate it if the credits weren't limited to delivery. Being in Chicago I probably average more than $100 a year in ordering food not expensed through work. If I do this though, I try to pick up the food rather than do delivery to avoid the excessive delivery fees that end up being half the cost of the meal at times....BEFORE tip.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Contemplating getting a travel card but I'm having a hard time deciding between Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Capital Rewards Venture card. They both seem very similar so I'd like to know if anyone had either card and what they think of it. I do plan on doing some traveling next year so the sooner the better.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having not paid attention to the rumors... if it is delivery credits on top of the travel credit I'd probably stick with it. If we are losing the travel credit and increasing fee probably not

tbh most of my travel credit goes to uber eats anyway (same w/ inferior amex plat credit)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Rumor of increase in the Reserve?! Fuck. What am I gonna do with all of these UR points. I only have until about September before it renews...

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contemplating getting a travel card but I'm having a hard time deciding between Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Capital Rewards Venture card. They both seem very similar so I'd like to know if anyone had either card and what they think of it. I do plan on doing some traveling next year so the sooner the better.

Capital One doesn't have anything comparable to the Reserve, the Venture Card is closer to the Sapphire Preferred.

If you're just wanting a single card for everything the Venture isn't a terrible option, but its when you buy into these bank's system is when you start racking up points.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Sapphire Reserve all the way. The benefits I've gotten from them has been amazing. This year I've probably benefitted from over $1000 across points and the travel credit back. Last year I got a nice boutique hotel in Boston through their concierge system using the UR. It's been awesome.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington

It honestly depends on what your looking for in a travel card. Are you looking for a general travel card, more hotel-centric, airline-centric, lounge access, signing bonuses, etc? FYI, the Sapphire Reserve is $450 (possibly $550) AF whereas the Venture card is $95 AF which is a huge difference. Sapphire Preferred is more its competition.

Imo CSP/CSR is a better value especially now that the 10x point bonus on hotels.com with the Venture card is going away next month.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're traveling mainly in the US I would take a closer look at the revamped AMEX Green especially if your main airport has CLEAR. Its got a $150 AF but $100 credit towards CLEAR, $100 credit towards Loungebuddy, and 3x on dining/travel/transit. You'll get trip delay insurance starting next month with the AMEX Green as well.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be doing a lot of international travel soon so things like lounge access and trip insurance are big factors for me. Im starting to lean more towards the CSR but is the difference between it and the preferred warrant the extra annual fee?

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I'm going to be doing a lot of international travel soon so things like lounge access and trip insurance are big factors for me. Im starting to lean more towards the CSR but is the difference between it and the preferred warrant the extra annual fee?
Yes CSR is the endgame Chase card, $300 travel credit makes the difference $50. The perks out way the $50 for most.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you have Global Entry already? If not CSR got you covered, that'll give you $100 back in your pocket. CSR has much better trip coverages and primary car rental insurance which I can't stress enough if you rent cars.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes CSR is the endgame Chase card, $300 travel credit makes the difference $50. The perks out way the $50 for most.
Well endgame Chase card is the JP Morgan Reserve, which is just $600 AF card by invite only, it's just the CSR with dick waving power. You need somewhere along the lines of $10 million in assets with Chase/JP Morgan to get an invite.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have Global Entry already? If not CSR got you covered, that'll give you $100 back in your pocket. CSR has much better trip coverages and primary car rental insurance which I can't stress enough if you rent cars.
Don't have global entry, only TSA pre check. It seems like I should go for the reserve. I have a two other cards, my Amazon Prime card which is paid off and a Captial One cash back card I got a few years back to help rehabilitate my credit. Was also worried about having too many credit card, so I was also thinking about just moving things over to one card and maximize benefits.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have global entry, only TSA pre check. It seems like I should go for the reserve. I have a two other cards, my Amazon Prime card which is paid off and a Captial One cash back card I got a few years back to help rehabilitate my credit. Was also worried about having too many credit card, so I was also thinking about just moving things over to one card and maximize benefits.
If you want to maximize your benefits then you want to go with a trifecta of Chase cards. CSR, Chase Freedom, and Chase Freedom Unlimited; I'd personally replace the CFU with a business Chase Ink.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
I'm in the process of paying off my current cards. Should be done in 5 months or so. Thinking about starting over with new cards. Credit is f*cked anyway because of a cosign from a few years back so it makes no difference to me if I leave my current ones. I'll keep an eye on this thread, I definitely want one with flyer miles.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the process of paying off my current cards. Should be done in 5 months or so. Thinking about starting over with new cards. Credit is f*cked anyway because of a cosign from a few years back so it makes no difference to me if I leave my current ones. I'll keep an eye on this thread, I definitely want one with flyer miles.
Almost all the cards in this thread require high credit scores and have very high APR, you're screwed for any benefit cards short of discover secured. Also, closing your credit lines will make things worse, just take the cards and destroy them or switch product on anything with an annual fee.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the Chase Freedom 2020 Q1 Category is really good

Gas stations, select streaming services, and internet/cable/phone services.
while I should get one of those to pair with my discover card sometime... I might wait because that is just horrible for me lol.

even if I was motivated to change over things...

gas stations across 3 months - ~$120
streaming services across 3 months - ~6 (only one I have that would renew in that time is $2 a month hulu)
and internet over 3 months - ~$180

so maxing it out I would get 5% of like $300 lol.

Does the chase freedom card have a new card bonus like the discover one? The discover one will match your cash back after the first year.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Almost all the cards in this thread require high credit scores and have very high APR, you're screwed for any benefit cards short of discover secured. Also, closing your credit lines will make things worse, just take the cards and destroy them or switch product on anything with an annual fee.
Ah that sucks, one of my cards has rewards since I got it when I had a good score. I guess I'll just pay them off as planned and only use that card.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm seeing a "complimentary" DoorDash subscription with no delivery fees on my Sapphire Reserve now. You have to add the card as your payment method in the app to enroll.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so you all might have insight on this if Gamestop's customer service fails me (like I expect them to)

So on dec 25th I placed an order from them during a b2g2 sale.
The total of this order was $97.46 (each game was the same price)

They shipped the first two games and charged me $94.70
they then shipped the third game and charged me $1.38 (leaving $1.38 left on my order for the last game)
and now they cancelled my last game, merely stating that I wouldn't be charged for it.... but because of the way they weighted the discount instead of paying $24.37 per game like I was supposed to I'm now paying $32.03 per game.

I've contacted them asking for them to either reinstate the last bit of my order, or to give me a refund of $22.97 to make it $24.37 per game like I should have paid, but I doubt they do either.

From what I've read due to the way gamestop handles returns, what matters is the shipping date of my order, and it took 7 days to get to me, so even if I wanted to return the more expensive games I can only do so for an equal exchange not for a refund unless the manager overrides it, which some won't even take online returns in general (and I really don't want to drive all the way to gamestop to deal with this. even at $32 I can likely sell the games for a bit more than I paid... it's not the point).

So I was wondering, if gamestop doesn't fix this situation, is it possible I can do a chargeback on my credit card? I really only want to get the $22.97 back that I shouldn't been charged if they weighted the games equally (the way they have done things feels SUPER ILLEGAL) but is that something I can do with a charge back? Will a credit card company even help me in this situation?

I really don't care if I get banned from gamestop (as I figure would happen if I charge back) I just don't want them to screw me and get away with it :/

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
so you all might have insight on this if Gamestop's customer service fails me (like I expect them to)

So on dec 25th I placed an order from them during a b2g2 sale.
The total of this order was $97.46 (each game was the same price)

They shipped the first two games and charged me $94.70
they then shipped the third game and charged me $1.38 (leaving $1.38 left on my order for the last game)
and now they cancelled my last game, merely stating that I wouldn't be charged for it.... but because of the way they weighted the discount instead of paying $24.37 per game like I was supposed to I'm now paying $32.03 per game.

I've contacted them asking for them to either reinstate the last bit of my order, or to give me a refund of $22.97 to make it $24.37 per game like I should have paid, but I doubt they do either.

From what I've read due to the way gamestop handles returns, what matters is the shipping date of my order, and it took 7 days to get to me, so even if I wanted to return the more expensive games I can only do so for an equal exchange not for a refund unless the manager overrides it, which some won't even take online returns in general (and I really don't want to drive all the way to gamestop to deal with this. even at $32 I can likely sell the games for a bit more than I paid... it's not the point).

So I was wondering, if gamestop doesn't fix this situation, is it possible I can do a chargeback on my credit card? I really only want to get the $22.97 back that I shouldn't been charged if they weighted the games equally (the way they have done things feels SUPER ILLEGAL) but is that something I can do with a charge back? Will a credit card company even help me in this situation?

I really don't care if I get banned from gamestop (as I figure would happen if I charge back) I just don't want them to screw me and get away with it :/
yeah you can do a chargeback, but be ready to burn that bridge with GS.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
yeah you can do a chargeback, but be ready to burn that bridge with GS.
before this order the last order I made (august 2018) got lost and screwed me out of $55 due to paypal taking the money for a pending order and gamestop not being able to find the order. (whole reason it's on my credit card this time) Paypal told me the money would go back after a year due to it pending in a way they supposedly couldn't cancel without effectively charging back on gamestop and getting me banned... so I waited a year and the pending charge went away but I didn't get the money back, and when I talked to paypal they told me the charge was far too old for them to do anything about -_-
before that it was an order in feb of 2018 (which went fine) and I haven't stepped into a gamestop in years. so it's not going to be much of a loss.
I mean it's not like I really want to buy anything from them anymore if they are going to keep screwing me like this lol.

the b2g2 was just a good enough deal for me to give them another chance... and of course this is how I've been rewarded :P

also thanks for the response.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I have a Citi Diamond Preferred which was my first card. It really has no cash back benefits and was looking to switch it to a Double Cash. Would I just need to call them to request upgrading to that card? Would my credit history stick with the upgrade or would I lose all of it?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
before this order the last order I made (august 2018) got lost and screwed me out of $55 due to paypal taking the money for a pending order and gamestop not being able to find the order. (whole reason it's on my credit card this time) Paypal told me the money would go back after a year due to it pending in a way they supposedly couldn't cancel without effectively charging back on gamestop and getting me banned... so I waited a year and the pending charge went away but I didn't get the money back, and when I talked to paypal they told me the charge was far too old for them to do anything about -_-
before that it was an order in feb of 2018 (which went fine) and I haven't stepped into a gamestop in years. so it's not going to be much of a loss.
I mean it's not like I really want to buy anything from them anymore if they are going to keep screwing me like this lol.

the b2g2 was just a good enough deal for me to give them another chance... and of course this is how I've been rewarded :P

also thanks for the response.

Make sure you document your attempts to resolve it w/ them first

Also, your card may offer return protection outside of a chargeback (though many have removed this benefit). Still, they did not deliver the entire order and if they are not willing to properly adjust the invoice to reflect it then that sounds like a valid chargeback

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you document your attempts to resolve it w/ them first

Also, your card may offer return protection outside of a chargeback (though many have removed this benefit). Still, they did not deliver the entire order and if they are not willing to properly adjust the invoice to reflect it then that sounds like a valid chargeback
all my attempts are through email, so I can just include those I assume.
the card I used was my capital one quicksilver card ( 1.5% cash back on all purchases) but I think most of the benefits have been stripped from it as I can't even find a benefits page anymore (I got it originally because it had no international transaction fees for when I went to Scotland)

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp reading that Chase is adding Lyft Pink membership to the CSR, alongside DashPass, looks like $550 AF incoming.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Welp reading that Chase is adding Lyft Pink membership to the CSR, alongside DashPass, looks like $550 AF incoming.
raw

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Again, none of this is confirmed, but according to rumors:

• The new annual fee will kick in for applications as of January 12, 2020
  • The annual fee increase will kick in for existing users with renewal dates in April 2020 or later
According to reports it is not currently possible to product change to the Sapphire Reserve from other Chase cards. This could be because these changes are being implemented soon, or could be for other unknown business reasons.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...ormally-9-99-a-month-for-free/#comment-867252

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not super happy about that. I don't really use door dash at all. I guess I would use Lyft but I live in the burbs and have a car so it's not too useful.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DoorPass is actually useful for me, Lyft is whatever since I tend to just walk around everywhere when I travel.

If the $550 AF gets more people out of CSR, I guess that's a bonus for us Priority Pass users.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Hey all! Just closed my Amazon Chase card account and looking for a new card for travel rewards. I don't travel much, though I'd really like to change that (hence the travel card).

I mainly fly Southwest so my initial thought is going straight to the Chase Southwest Premier card, but I'm open to suggestions. The Capital One Venture card is appealing, but there's no way I'm going to hit $4,000 3-month spending line to get the bonus.

Last edited:

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I have about 200 bucks worth of rewards saved up from my 2 credit cards (Savor One, City Double Cash) after about a year of use. Pretty fun stuff.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all! Just closed my Amazon Chase card account and looking for a new card for travel rewards. I don't travel much, though I'd really like to change that (hence the card card).

I mainly fly Southwest so my initial thought is going straight to the Chase Southwest Premier card, but I'm open to suggestions. The Capital One Venture card is appealing, but there's no way I'm going to hit $4,000 3-month spending line to get the bonus.

You can easily hit that with some tricks.

Also if you are looking at the Cap 1 Venture look at the Chase Sapphire, Preffered and the Reserve. The reserve is way better imo

I'm good with these changes. We Uber occasionally when traveling, so now I'll just use Lyft. And I'll be sure to use Door Dash. We live in the boonies, so the options aren't amazing, but there is stuff available that we do indeed eat.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all! Just closed my Amazon Chase card account and looking for a new card for travel rewards. I don't travel much, though I'd really like to change that (hence the travel card).

Look into churning Chase cards including their business cards. My two international trips last year were paid with points.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Look into churning Chase cards including their business cards. My two international trips last year were paid with points.

Got the Reserve in Feb, Unlimited in July I think.

Anyway my Paris trip was paid for with points. Still have 73kpoints left. Add that with my fiance's and we have about 140k in points today, after that 9 day Paris/London trip.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Reserve in Feb, Unlimited in July I think.

Anyway my Paris trip was paid for with points. Still have 73kpoints left. Add that with my fiance's and we have about 140k in points today, after that 9 day Paris/London trip.
If you can hit $5k in 3 months, look into the Chase Ink Preferred, then refer your fiancé. It's a 20k referral bonus on top of 80k SUB.

PelvisParsley

Jan 25, 2019
With the increase in the AF for CSR, wondering if it's worth it to product downgrade to CSP but honestly not savvy enough to compare them.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck, Chase doesn't like when you close cards D:

Should have left it there and not touch it since it has no annual fee.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, it's here

Annual fee will increase to $550 for new users on January 12th, 2020
Annual fee will increase to $550 for existing users in April, 2020
Not possible to product change to the card until after January 12th, 2020 (new $550 annual fee will be charged)
Complimentary Lyft pink membership to be added on January 12th, 2020
$60 DoorDash credit to be added for 2020 and 2021 (this is is an annual credit that is valid from 1/12 – 12/31 each year).