• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

www.lesechos.fr

Climat, COP26. Auprès de mon arbre

Les débats climatiques oublient le principal décideur des émissions de CO2, le consommateur. L'étude « Treeprint » de Credit Suisse tente de modéliser l'impact des modes de vie occidentaux, pour la traduire en besoins de reforestation.

Can't read French but the diagrams do appear to be the source

image.jpg

The conflict between individual responsibility and big corporation responsibility continues! Tho Western lifestyles are pretty expensive

This is why Jake Gyllenhall's (and Era members) not showering are saving the planet btw

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Only buy 2 jeans every year?
*Looks at my only pair of jean I've had for 5 years*

That whole example is really weird to look at. I don't think any critical thought went into it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm under the distinct impression most people should shower more myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a joke about giving up pants and showers entirely to earn video game credit, but now I'm distracted--is it saying you're only allowed to exercise 30 minutes a day lest you risk going over your CO2 allotment?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stop playing video games basically means for everyone don't watch TV.

I hope they aren't going to pass the buck again like they do with plastics waste, the source is more the problem and should be responsible for recycling than the people using it.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a joke about giving up pants and showers entirely to earn video game credit, but now I'm distracted--is it saying you're only allowed to exercise 30 minutes a day lest you risk going over your CO2 allotment?
30 minutes of treadmill 3 times a week.
Because apparently you can only exercise with electricity.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually we're going to need to start rationing water on, like, a global scale, but that's not the sort of thing that's going to happen without government intervention.

That's the beginning and end of it. Until states get tough the world isn't going to budge an inch.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Why should I when corporations do like 1,000,000x more pollution than I do. No thanks.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous when corporate output dwarfs that of private citizens.

Oct 31, 2017
I've actually been thinking about this in recent times. That the video game industry, just like all other massive technological and energy needed aspects of modern life, are not a good thing for the future of the planet. That it's probably going to take a radical redefinition of living and culture at a mass scale to prevent true ecological disaster at this point.

Neither the consumer or the corporation has enough obvious incentive to make the changes that will probably be necessary. I'm talking like modern culture at a mass scale going to lifestyles akin to the Amish, or any other group of people who primarily live off the land and don't use tech/machinery.

It really sucks to say, but we should definitely enjoy it while it lasts.

Apr 21, 2018
What do playing video games have to do with it?
is charging my Switch really using an unreasonable amount of power.

Weird list. I'd think dish washers, washing machines, and heaters being mentioned before video games.

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been thinking about this in recent times. That the video game industry, just like all other massive technological and energy needed aspects of modern life, are not a good thing for the future of the planet. That it's probably going to take a radical redefinition of living and culture at a mass scale to prevent true ecological disaster at this point.

Neither the consumer or the corporation has enough obvious incentive to make the changes that will probably be necessary. I'm talking like modern culture at a mass scale going to lifestyles akin to the Amish, or any other group of people who primarily live off the land and don't use tech/machinery.

Remember that scene from Reign of Fire where they don't have movies anymore so they have to just describe Star Wars through a play? That.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Coffee 0? Can I trade voyages/travel for coffee? I don't leave Toronto anyways.

Wait, is that also saying only eat 25grams of cheese once per week? No cheese and coffee, I'm done with life.

Oct 27, 2017
stop running the A/C in your corporate offices first
better yet, shut your offices down and have everyone work from home

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The problem is yes we as citizens should sacrifice somewhat our current lifestyle, but honestly almost every major corporation pollutes a million times more than what any average joe schmo could ever do. They should be the targets.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Or the companies responsible for this shit could focus on clean renewable energy.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know who the idiot is that came up with this nonsense and then judge them for the lifestyle that they're living.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
"The real problem is the common person that is trying to survive in our dystopian hellscape". Fuck these assholes. My solar panels produce 140% of my home's energy usage.

I'd like to have a talk about pollution from cruise ships before we start sacrificing a fairly cheap and accessible form of entertainment.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
⚠️TRADE OFFER ⚠️

I reject these suggestions, but in exchange, I solemnly swear not to spill hundreds of millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. Pinkie swear.