• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More seriously: glad I have seen the highlights with TMS over it, rather than Sky. Agnew did it really well.

I don't know what the rest of the world got, but I have to say the commentary in general, was absolutely fucking awful. They seemed to pick the worst possible commentators from each country.... and well no that was pretty much the problem.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the rest of the world got, but I have to say the commentary in general, was absolutely fucking awful. They seemed to pick the worst possible commentators from each country.... and well no that was pretty much the problem.

I think we all got the same feed. NZ commentators got good press here. Sanga is always good value. Michael Clarke...

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
HMMM DELICIOUS SALT

(;D etc etc)

More seriously: glad I have seen the highlights with TMS over it, rather than Sky. Agnew did it really well.

Where are they please? I've heard some of the TMS commentary. It was literally goosebumps compared to sky. You could hear the crowd so loudly - their broadcast captured the atomosphere. Hear the guys like Vaughan and Tuffers literally praying. Unreal stuff.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Where are they please? I've heard some of the TMS commentary. It was literally goosebumps compared to sky. You could hear the crowd so loudly - their broadcast captured the atomosphere. Hear the guys like Vaughan and Tuffers literally praying. Unreal stuff.

Sadly only snippets - sorry to disappoint!

+

I feel like I saw more, somewhere... much better than the TV commentary, for me.

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also finding the Indian salt on social media to be absolutely brilliant, they seem to be the saltiest of all from what I've seen. They are so easy to wind up, the only downside is I've wasted most of my morning on it.

The whole thing is amazing and magnificent, still can't believe it happened, and the way it happened has led to an opportunity to massively troll on England haters.

Why are they salty?

Also, how long until the BBC dramatisation, 2020?!?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why are they salty?

Also, how long until the BBC dramatisation, 2020?!?

Indian cricket fans seem to hate ex-England players now commentators. Every tweet from Vaughan no matter how innocuous is hammered. And I find Michael Vaughan a bit dour personally - not exactly a tub-thumping irritating twitter personality.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know it was a great final when countries that weren't even involved are fucking mad. :D

What an amazing game. I still cannot get over it. Just absolutely batshit insane.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
There's a 49 minute highlight episode of the final on All 4, with 3 days remaining to watch if anyone is interested.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I actually really want them to win the next one now.

Very likeable team and superb sportsmanship too. Guptill indicating a 6 when Boult fell over the boundary, top lad.
They were just unlucky this time around. Everything went against them. Their sportsmanship was something else though.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
They were just unlucky this time around. Everything went against them. Their sportsmanship was something else though.

Honestly I'm not sure I totally agree with this... for a start they won the toss, which is massive in a WC final with the chance to put on scoreboard pressure. Literally the very first big moment of luck in the whole game went NZ's way. The Stokes incident was indeed a ridiculous amount of bad luck, but Boult stepping on the boundary was bad play, not bad luck.

I feel for NZ and I would certainly love to see them win the next WC, but to say "everything went against them" is doing a huge disservice to England.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really that ambiguous. Forgive me if I'm missing something in those words.

They had completed one run and were going for their second which was the one in progress. The run in progress counts if the batsman had already crossed when the throw was initiated. For England they hadn't crossed yet when Guptill threw it, so their second run shouldn't have counted.

Here's the question in my mind: At what point does a throw become an overthrow? Prior to the deflection, was it still an overthrow?

It looks like the term overthrow isn't actually explicitly well-defined in the laws of cricket, which is where the ambiguity comes in. What would happen if the ball hit a helmet in this context then trundles to the boundary (ignoring the penalty runs in that context, of course)? The rules around that seem to be more concrete.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They keep showing the super over run out replay on TV and each time in my mind I imagine Guptil making it but then reality comes crashing in.

Going forwards, there's a Test championship coming up right? Can't wait.

it's been postponed twice before, so I wouldn't get your hopes up, and test cricket is not exactly a priority for many nations these days so I'm not sure how much of a spectacle a lot of it will be.

world t20 next year though should be good. I couldn't give a toss about random t20 internationals or the various leagues, but the world t20 was gripping, and I'm glad ben stokes was able to complete his redemption arc after getting carted about in the final over in 2016.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Honestly I'm not sure I totally agree with this... for a start they won the toss, which is massive in a WC final with the chance to put on scoreboard pressure. Literally the very first big moment of luck in the whole game went NZ's way. The Stokes incident was indeed a ridiculous amount of bad luck, but Boult stepping on the boundary was bad play, not bad luck.

I feel for NZ and I would certainly love to see them win the next WC, but to say "everything went against them" is doing a huge disservice to England.
Not taking anything from England and Stokes' heroic innings. However, having moments like the one with Boult, Taylor's wicket (yes, I know they wasted their review), ball hitting Stokes' bat and going for 4 just at that point in the game did make a huge difference. And you're right about the toss. I should've said everything went against them in the last crucial moments in the match (bad play/luck or not).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: What were the extremes of the Win Predictor? It did feel too generous to England at times, but how pro-NZ did it ever get?

(Heck, what was the win predictor on ball 49.2 of England's innings? I think that was the bleakest moment)

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a Sunday game as well but luckily our drinks break in the second innings coincided with the runout in the final over. So we were able to watch the final ball of the second innings and England t levelling the scores.

Unsurprisingly everybody just turned it into a very extended break as both teams were crammed into the clubhouse bar to watch the super over in its entirety. It was pretty fucking mental.

Then we went back out and got absolutely hammered as a guy scored a hundred after being dropped literally seven times.

And i did my back while batting in the first innings and have been bed ridden all day.

So my enduring memory of a legendary World Cup victory is going to be one where I am really fucking annoyed at losing a flipping Sunday league match.

Going forwards, there's a Test championship coming up right? Can't wait.

The test match championship is even dumber than the format for this World Cup. I won't even waste my time watching it, and I'm someone who would wake up at 2am to watch all 5 days of tests down under.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Random thought: What were the extremes of the Win Predictor? It did feel too generous to England at times, but how pro-NZ did it ever get?

(Heck, what was the win predictor on ball 49.2 of England's innings? I think that was the bleakest moment)

I did see it at 65% NZ at one point. I assume England needing 15 off 4 would have been worse?

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
There was no sky coverage apart from pre match and between innings, it was all a single ICC feed. I like NAS, Athers, Guha, Bougle, Smith, Mitchell and Bishop but the rest are errr... especially the Australians.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm ok with Clarke. Slater not a huge fan though I do find it funny when it's obvious he's had a line of coke before going on air.

Sanju Manju and Ganguly were really bad from the Indian side. Harsha Bhogle is one of the best commentators.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm ok with Clarke. Slater not a huge fan though I do find it funny when it's obvious he's had a line of coke before going on air.

Sanju Manju and Ganguly were really bad from the Indian side. Harsha Bhogle is one of the best commentators.

Clarke can occasionally say something insightful but it's (1) said in his seemingly permanent upward inflection and (2) in between a hundred comments that amount to variations of "they really need a wicket here".

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many England fans are obnoxious and very aggressive but they deserved to win the world cup after demolishing Australia - the defending champions - in the semis.

As far as I have noticed England rarely have any luck in such tournaments and if NZ had won no one would be surprised, so it's fine luck went their way for once.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I also got reminded today about The Hundred that the ECB are running next year... what a crock of shit.

It's sad. It feels like The Hundred exists because the ECB were too shit to cash in on T20, a format they created, while every other country has flourished with it.

Even with this new format they have already sold off the games to Sky with free to air only getting 10 games.

I am so cynical about this whole thing.

Oct 27, 2017
There was no sky coverage apart from pre match and between innings, it was all a single ICC feed. I like NAS, Athers, Guha, Bougle, Smith, Mitchell and Bishop but the rest are errr... especially the Australians.
It's funny how 10 to 20 years ago the best commentators were Australian which also coincides with Australia having the best ODI team that the world have ever seen. I don't think I ever see either of those again.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I actually really like Slats... when he's on with Athers I get a cool retro 90s feeling going on, even if it was the Aussies smashing us every single time. I have massive respect for the guy, for all the shit he's been through in his life he stuck with the game through commentary and it's helped him manage his bi-polar / panic attack issues. I really like his commentary style to boot, hopefully Sky have got him for the Ashes.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NZ have been class and most English fans already know we didn't really deserve to win and another super over should have happened.

That class though.

Given NZ both tied the match and scored almost all the runs for England, they have a fair point.

I actually really like Slats... when he's on with Athers I get a cool retro 90s feeling going on, even if it was the Aussies smashing us every single time. I have massive respect for the guy, for all the shit he's been through in his life he stuck with the game through commentary and it's helped him manage his bi-polar / panic attack issues. I really like his commentary style to boot, hopefully Sky have got him for the Ashes.

He is pretty good at what he does, unfortunately what he does is commentate the last two overs of a 20/20 match every single ball. In a one dayer? It is almost something you can put up with. But in a test match? Fuck me dead.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
No LWBs in The Hundred? May as well just place a ball pitcher machine for batsmen to tonk and get it over with.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The 100 is so fucking stupid. Is twenty less balls an innings really gonna make more people come and watch? Why can't they just revamp the t20 domestic competition?

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
That class though.

Given NZ both tied the match and scored almost all the runs for England, they have a fair point.

I can understand their frustration, but cricket gets the "boring" tag enough as it is without the world laughing if we have a 6+ week tournament and still can't find a winner at the end.... you just have to have a winner at the end of a World Cup, whatever sport.

I'm glad they got rid of the wickets in the main game tie-breaker from yesteryear (I appreciate I would say that as an Englishman...!), because that put undue pressure on the team batting second, when that's already enough pressure as it is with historically more teams winning when batting first. A team chasing should not have to worry about not losing as many wickets as the oppo, it should 100% simply be about getting the runs. I believe that's why that rule was scrapped. I do however agree that the boundary countback seems a totally random and nonsense way of doing it.

I can't see any fair way other than just keep doing super overs until there's a winner...

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand their frustration, but cricket gets the "boring" tag enough as it is without the world laughing if we have a 6+ week tournament and still can't find a winner at the end.... you just have to have a winner at the end of a World Cup, whatever sport.

I'm glad they got rid of the wickets in the main game tie-breaker from yesteryear (I appreciate I would say that as an Englishman...!), because that put undue pressure on the team batting second, when that's already enough pressure as it is with historically more teams winning when batting first. A team chasing should not have to worry about not losing as many wickets as the oppo, it should 100% simply be about getting the runs. I believe that's why that rule was scrapped. I do however agree that the boundary countback seems a totally random and nonsense way of doing it.

I can't see any fair way other than just keep doing super overs until there's a winner...

Yeah number of boundaries is dumber than sharing the trophy imo.

If a team scores 300 from 300 singles they shouldn't lose because the opposition scores 300 from 50 sixes. One side faces no dot balls in 50 overs while the other team faces 250 dot balls and yet the former team is the one being penalised in this (albeit extremely exaggerated) scenario.

It'd be like the tie breaker in football being whichever team scored the most volleys over the course of the season because, while overhead kicks are incredibly entertaining, a goal should be a goal no matter how it was scored and a run is a run whether you open the face to glide it down to third man or close your eyes and top edge a pull over the slip cordon.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it'd be stupid to share it, you can't have co champions, it's daft. England won with the criteria that was set in place to break ties before the tournament.I get the logic why it was more boundaries, they've tried to make Odis be less dreary for a while and the encouraging of boundaries is one small part of that, even if it's something that usually isn't a factor as ties are so rare.

They should definitely just do another super over in future though.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
Yeah number of boundaries is dumber than sharing the trophy imo.

If a team scores 300 from 300 singles they shouldn't lose because the opposition scores 300 from 50 sixes. One side faces no dot balls in 50 overs while the other team faces 250 dot balls and yet the former team is the one being penalised in this (albeit extremely exaggerated) scenario.

It'd be like the tie breaker in football being whichever team scored the most volleys over the course of the season because, while overhead kicks are incredibly entertaining, a goal should be a goal no matter how it was scored and a run is a run whether you open the face to glide it down to third man or close your eyes and top edge a pull over the slip cordon.

yup, whoever wrote that rule is an idiot. Which team had more wickets in hand is a better way to evaluate the team than who scored more 4s. Nothing can be done now but hopefully going forward they should make some changes

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
One commentator that always winds me up is Ian Bishop... never liked him. He even managed to piss me off in the minutes after winning the World Cup, in one of the first replays he blurted out "they left Archer to celebrate on his own". What kind of veiled bullshit is that? They all ran after Buttler for the first celebration after he had just whipped the bails off, then literally 5 seconds later they all ran over to Archer.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
yup, whoever wrote that rule is an idiot. Which team had more wickets in hand is a better way to evaluate the team than who scored more 4s. Nothing can be done now but hopefully going forward they should make some changes

It's not a better way, it's just another wrong way. There is a reason that rule got scrapped in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017

Wickets in hand isn't great either, net run rate might be slightly better but even then I'm not a fan of that.

I would be fine with another super over but you have to send out different batsmen and bowlers a bit like you have to cycle through penalty takers in a shootout. Who doesn't want to see Boult and Ferguson trying to score 9 off the 10th super over while Jos Buttler is chucking down some pies?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
One commentator that always winds me up is Ian Bishop... never liked him. He even managed to piss me off in the minutes after winning the World Cup, in one of the first replays he blurted out "they left Archer to celebrate on his own". What kind of veiled bullshit is that? They all ran after Buttler for the first celebration after he had just whipped the bails off, then literally 5 seconds later they all ran over to Archer.
What am I reading? Bishop's great.