• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The match ref went light on Roy for his outburst; a fine and some demerit points, but nothing of the level of a suspension.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have no frame of reference, I was just listening to TMS! The only context I really had is that they were wondering if he might get pulled up for it.

He was strongly making his point after the umpire signalled for a review that England didn't actually have. Any actual outburst happened when he was back up in the terraces which is usually fine. The punishment was right I guess, I personally wouldn't have even done that from what I saw but it's cricket and any moaning will get you fined.

Edit: If he did get banned for the final that would have been me me done with cricket after 20+ years. I understand the whole 'gentlemen's game' thing about cricket (which I think is overdone and holds back the game from being more entertaining but that's a discussion for another time) but I've seen more moaning at a chess championship than what Roy did.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up with highlights now, I hadn't realised that the run-out of Smith was thrown *between his legs*.

G3SNIAz.png

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Australia conned the umpire into turning a wide to an out. /s

Even the umpire was like I can't believe I am raising my fingers. Dreadful, absolutely dreadful decision.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I heard something about dharmasena was about to give a wide then put his finger up, not sure about that though.

Tbh its Roy's fault for not having the balls to tell bairstow he was plum and not to use a review.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So salty. England are simply a much better one day team than Aus.
Ah these posts are so delicious in hindsight. Sumptuous.

Dear God man, leave and maybe a semblance of your pride will remain intact. The saltiness of your tantrum is raising my blood pressure.
And how exactly does what I said make me salty?

I acknowledge that england were the better team today, absolutely destroyed australia to bits, fair and square. Im not angry or bitter at anything.

This is besides the fact.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Despite how highly vaunted our bowling line up was, it was still mostly reliant on Starc firing. And when he didn't, as in the last two games and the group game against India, it was largely exposed. Cummins was mediocre throughout, Coulter-Nile was dropped, Berendorf had one good game, and Zampa flopped.

We weren't quite as reliant on our top order as India, but both Maxwell and Stoinis had rotten tournaments with the bat, and put a lot of pressure on Carey.

Ultimately we did pretty well given how awful we've been in ODIs for the last few years. Six months ago I had no expectation of reaching the semis.

I'm not sure anyone but Cummins and Carey will be in India in four years, the next time we'll put any effort into ODIs (especially now that they're off free to air tv).

Apart from Khawaja's injury I don't think this will have any effect on Ashes preparations (we'll get flogged regardless). That Australia v Australia A tour game will be far more significant (and an unironically awesome throwback to the 90s - hope it's streamed).

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
You sure? Because crying about pitches sure makes you sound angry and bitter
Me criticizing something = Im crying, angry, and bitter.

Whatever you say boss.

Edit: imagine framing people as "salty" when they hold a differing opinion to you. Im not even talking about today's game, just the WC in general. Well, what more can I expect from era members.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Despite how highly vaunted our bowling line up was, it was still mostly reliant on Starc firing. And when he didn't, as in the last two games and the group game against India, it was largely exposed. Cummins was mediocre throughout, Coulter-Nile was dropped, Berendorf had one good game, and Zampa flopped.

We weren't quite as reliant on our top order as India, but both Maxwell and Stoinis had rotten tournaments with the bat, and put a lot of pressure on Carey.

Ultimately we did pretty well given how awful we've been in ODIs for the last few years. Six months ago I had no expectation of reaching the semis.

I'm not sure anyone but Cummins and Carey will be in India in four years, the next time we'll put any effort into ODIs (especially now that they're off free to air tv).

Apart from Khawaja's injury I don't think this will have any effect on Ashes preparations (we'll get flogged regardless). That Australia v Australia A tour game will be far more significant (and an unironically awesome throwback to the 90s - hope it's streamed).

Do I dare say that maybe Mitch Marsh should be in the team instead of Stoinis?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it an "outburst" is a tad dramatic lol.
Nah that was definitely an outburst. Only very rarely seen a batsmen argue with the umpire so aggressively. The second ump had to step in to calm him down. Don't think he'll be banned for the next game though. Will probably be a few more demerit points so the next time he does it he will be out.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
One more thing, the World Cup should never take place in England again. They have the wackest pitches, plus it rains every second day.

Even New Zealand's playground sized fields would be better.
I think this world cup has produced some fantastic games so I won't say it shouldn't be held in England but I do think several things could have been done better. For one, having reserve days for rained out games even in the play offs would help. Second - and I'm not sure if it was the pitches or something else but they need to make the coin toss less important and the game more fair. 2/3 of the teams chasing have lost this WC which is unusually off balance considering it's typically 50/50. Cricket's never given a crap about being fair though seeing how much test outcomes matter on the toss too so it's unlikely to change.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah as far as cricket go Roy's action were definitely an outburst. I'm sure if this was a standard one day series he would have gotten a 1 match ban, I think the only reason he escaped it was because the next game is the world cup final.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think this world cup has produced some fantastic games so I won't say it shouldn't be held in England but I do think several things could have been done better. For one, having reserve days for rained out games even in the play offs would help. Second - and I'm not sure if it was the pitches or something else but they need to make the coin toss less important and the game more fair. 2/3 of the teams chasing have lost this WC which is unusually off balance considering it's typically 50/50. Cricket's never given a crap about being fair though seeing how much test outcomes matter on the toss too so it's unlikely to change.

But the reason chasing has been so hard is because the pitches have slowed up during the day. This is absolutely not normal behaviour for English wickets - so whatever the ICC have done with the pitches has been diabolical. I think they wanted softish pitches to try and help the Indians out. Instead of preparing usual English wickets which offer early movement off the seam but then become more playable.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Actually english pitches have been - by design - flat as fuck for the last couple of years. It was a conscious decision to aid ODI skill development. The weather (and perhaps ICC?) has done us a really good service by making the pitches more competitive. The idea that the pitches have been bad for this tournament is a very weird take. We've had a lot of tight, low scoring games, but very few where teams have been skittled. It could have been so very different and if it had, it would have been way more beneficial for England.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Actually english pitches have been - by design - flat as fuck for the last couple of years. It was a conscious decision to aid ODI skill development. The weather (and perhaps ICC?) has done us a really good service by making the pitches more competitive. The idea that the pitches have been bad for this tournament is a very weird take. We've had a lot of tight, low scoring games, but very few where teams have been skittled. It could have been so very different and if it had, it would have been way more beneficial for England.

The pitches have generally been awful because they've favoured the team batting first so heavily it has spoiled games. What you want is proper English pitches where there is an even chance batting first or chasing. Where overhead conditions come into play but where the pitch itself is even over the 100 overs.

The idea that you want pitches that become horrible slow turners 35 overs in is utterly absurd. Or are two paced and become progressively more so as the game progresses. That is nonsense.

Using pitches to make up for the inadequacies of some teams is absolutely not a good way to run the tournament. And has spoiled the spectacle on many occassions.

Ashes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
England thrashed India and Australia.
If they beat New Zealand again on Sunday, England deserve to be world number 1 and world champions.
Nothing in cricket is a sure thing. New Zealand can have a good day and then they would deserve to be world champions.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've got to push back slightly against this hipster notion of "Isn't cricket better when batmen have to work for their runs and it's an even contest". My answer to that is - Is it fuck!. I do like a mix of low scoring and high scoring games but this idea that the purist can only find entertainment in the batsmen scratching around for singles for 40 overs before getting out trying to bash sixes at the end is bollocks. There is nothing *repeat* NOTHING like the entertainment value of one team scoring 400 and the other team chasing it down. It's fucking fantastic. Yeah yeah not EVERY game but we've not had ANY fucking games like that (though yesterday possibly should have been one) and that's to the detriment of the competition.

imvho

Anyone can win a low scoring mistake-fest. Takes a special team to chase 350 plus whatever the conditions.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think I've got to push back slightly against this hipster notion of "Isn't cricket better when batmen have to work for their runs and it's an even contest". My answer to that is - Is it fuck!. I do like a mix of low scoring and high scoring games but this idea that the purist can only find entertainment in the batsmen scratching around for singles for 40 overs before getting out trying to bash sixes at the end is bollocks. There is nothing *repeat* NOTHING like the entertainment value of one team scoring 400 and the other team chasing it down. It's fucking fantastic. Yeah yeah not EVERY game but we've not had ANY fucking games like that (though yesterday possibly should have been one) and that's to the detriment of the competition.

imvho

Anyone can win a low scoring mistake-fest. Takes a special team to chase 350 plus whatever the conditions.

Exactly. You don't want every game to be a slog fest, but equally you don't want every game to be grinding out 50 overs low scoring games.

20:20 is so popular now. People want to see big hitting - and ideally for ODI you want a contest where if the batsmen win they can start to score rapidly. It makes for exciting cricket.

The major problem with the pitches this WC has been that it can be random who wins. Yesterday on a fresh and decent pitch it was clear that a chase was far easier than say the OT semi final pitch where chasing scores as the pitch got sticky and slow was an absolute chore.

Crazy how there is a lack of understanding - pitches that become harder and harder to bat on for a one day game are terrible terrible pitches. If the WC is in Bangladesh then you expect slow turners with not much pace. Absolutely you play the conditions of the country. But this hasn't been the case here - its basically been pitches where the ball comes onto the bat well for 20 or so overs then progressively get slower and harder to score on.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as far as cricket go Roy's action were definitely an outburst. I'm sure if this was a standard one day series he would have gotten a 1 match ban, I think the only reason he escaped it was because the next game is the world cup final.

Supposedly Dharmasena also mistakenly performed the third umpire gesture? I thought maybe that helped.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Supposedly Dharmasena also mistakenly performed the third umpire gesture? I thought maybe that helped.

That might have felt but apparently the stump mic picked up roy saying dharmasena's decision was a fucking embarrassment. If the next game wasn't the world cup final I'm sure he would get a ban.

The decision was baffling though, dharmasena clearly looks unsure when he raises his finger like he cant quite believe hes given it out lol

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roy didn't walk when he hit the ball during the India match so I dunno what's he's so mad about.

The ball actually deviated a little bit when it passed his gloves so the umpire probably thought he hit it.

OP
OP
crazy monkey

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
England is going in favorite but than gaian look what happened to India against New Zealand.

I am happy with either winning. NZ more so just because they are underdogs. England win will help cricket more.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I want NZ to win but I do think the more likely outcome is an England win. Their batting is far superior than NZ's.

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
Having to chase at Lord's against Boult, Southee and Ferguson. I'd rather not... but here we go.