• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
51073-unqzmntftm-1486611204.jpg

Cricket is a bat-and-ball game played between two teams of eleven players each on a cricket field, at the centre of which is a rectangular 22-yard-long pitch with a target called the wicket (a set of three wooden stumps upon which two bails sit) at each end. Each phase of play is called an innings during which one team bats, attempting to score as many runs as possible, whilst their opponents field. Depending on the type of match, the teams have one or two innings apiece and, when the first innings ends, the teams swap roles for the next innings. Except in matches which result in a draw, the winning team is the one that scores the most runs, including any extras gained.

Cricket is one of the world's most popular sports. It's growth dates back to the days of the British Empire and it's colonial impact on what are now mostly countries of the Commonwealth. An interesting fact is that the first recognised international Cricket match took place between the United States of America and Canada in 1844. Cricket's main popularity base resides within England, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan. Recently the sport has seen growth in places like Bangladesh and even Canada, Ireland and Holland.

Forms of Cricket

Test/First Class Cricket

Test Matches - the international version of first class cricket, participated by teams that are members of the ICC (International Cricket Council). Test matches are played over five days, with each side having the opportunity to have up to two innings each.

First Class Cricket - the domestic form of competition that mirrors the concept of Test matches. Depending on the county, each match can be between three or four days.

In both Test and First Class matches, a draw is a valid result should a winner not be determined by the close of play on the last day.

Limited Overs Cricket

List A (otherwise known as One Day) Cricket - a match that, as the name suggests takes place over the course of one day, with each team having the opportunity to have one innings each. The amount of Overs per innings ranges between 40 and 50, depending on the competition.

Twenty20 - again, a match that the name suggests is a form of Limited Overs cricket that has innings of 20 overs per side. This is the most recent form of Cricket, designed for it's glamour and popularity with the crowds. The most lucrative competitions in Cricket, such as the Indian Premier League and Australia's Big Bash League are T20 competitions.

High Profile Competitions

There are a number of high profile competitions both domestic and international Cricket. Domestically, the Twenty20 competitions in England, India, Australia and West Indies have seen commercial and popular success, bringing in new fans of all ages. Internationally, T20 and Limited Overs cricket have World Cup events on a regular basis. Test Matches don't have any official global competition, but a number of rivalries between nations add an extra something to the competition. Chief amongst these are the Test series between England and Australia, called "The Ashes".

This thread is for discussion of all things Cricket. The competitions, the players, the venues, even those spectacular catches by those fans who somehow never spill any of their beer. Lets all enjoy the great sport together.

We don't like Cricket, we love it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to finally score a half-century this season.

I said this last year as well but I underestimated both my impatience with the bat and the propensity for the opposition to take stunning catches every time I batted

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batsman sure like poking outside their off stump when Philander is bowling.

India needs to hurry up and get whitewashed so the South Africa/Australia series can start.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The current Indian team is actually pretty mediocre even though it's the #1 at the moment. The standard for international test cricket is woefully low at the moment.
I blame T20.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Cheers Dan for the OT!

I am preemptively scared that Philander is going to rip the Aussies a new one when we go over there. That said, I think our bowlers would enjoy conditions like that too haha.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Trevor Bayliss standing down next year. That went well, right?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, that pitch they just played on at Newlands is too far in the other direction from the horrible MCG pitch. I think it was 18 wickets lost on day 4 with in 62 overs? Ridiculous. Philander's a great bowler, but I reckon his stats are pretty inflated bowling on those kind of pitches.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a strange one.
I don't think he played at the ball Ben Stokes style but he did change his line.
You can only assume it was to get in between the ball and the fielder which is sort of silly as he would have made it home had he just run straight.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cameron White picked in ODI ahead of Glenn Maxwell huehuehue.

This is after Cameron White said on live tv during the BBL that he had pretty much given up on being picked for Australia and just wants to enjoy the game. Really happy for him.

I wonder what Maxwell did to piss off selectors this much.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I get the feeling Smith doesn't like him. Which means he's probably never getting back in.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Cricera: ashes ashes ashes

Me, an intellectual: this South Africa v India series seems pretty good

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Ashes is over now. There's the ODIs and T20s to go. That's why this thread was made after the fifth test :)

(ps an intellectual would get it right: CricketERA ;) )

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought he'll get community service as soon as the charge was announced on the radio.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge innings from Kohli, but South Africa still in front of the game. This is a much better balance between bat and ball in this test.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn South Africa v India looked more interesting than the Ashes, though once again it's another scenario of the home team most likely to win the test. That's just the way it is.
Except for SA v Australia which always seems like the away team wins. So looking forward to that.

Watching the Big Bash match on now and good going Sixers. Picking until the end of the season to get good.

Also Lyon should be put into the ODI squad too with the way he's bowling.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Australia has gone heavy on the batting picks (except for Maxwell lol) for this ODI.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10 overs left, Finch and Marsh both recently out, and Australia need at least 100 more runs.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Australia are sucking in ODIs.

What a fall from grace after the last World Cup.

They have to figure something out because the next one ain't far away and they don't stand a chance in their current state.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about it for a while, and this might be a blasphemous thing to say, but Steve Smith seems kind of bad in limited overs.

He's clearly the number one test batsman but his performance in these last three ODIs has been not great. Especially last night, he had an abysmal strike rate, just wasting a lot of balls and hitting four an over when the team was chasing 300+, which really put too much pressure on guys down the order like Stoinis, who didn't get enough balls to face.

Plus his actual captaincy has seemed lacking. To be honest I think Eoin Morgan is a fantastic captain and just runs circles around Smith in terms of his tactics and timing.

I dunno, maybe Australia shouldn't have the same captain for all three formats. Give Warner or Finch the responsibility of being captain. Let Smith be free in ODIs like his counterpart Joe Root.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Smith does seem a little disinterested. Australia have fallen way behind in ODI cricket, the fact that the list A tournament is consigned to a quick event before the shield starts isn't helping. Cricket Australia needs to invest time and effort into all three forms not just cruise off the BBL cash.

T20i squad: David Warner (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Ben Dwarshuis, Travis Head, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa.

SA Test Squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Jon Holland, Jhye Richardson.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Richardson has only played 5 first class games in his career so this surprises me.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Channel nine are scrambling in the archive to get a Lethal Weapon or Police Academy movie ready for later, this isn't going the distance.

I once came in at 6/12 in a one day game, I wonder if England will beat that?