• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I know that this is a depleted Bangladesh side and "new" India side but I really do hope SL can pull off a great tri-Series. After a horrid 2017, they're really starting to come back from the abyss. The fact that it's T20 dulls it a bit though.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Rabada is too good. Huge shame if he misses the next two tests.

Australia pretty much done.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Ussie last night killed it off, a lead of 200 and anything could happen. < 100 and just wrap it up at 1-1.

Edit: Rabada is in trouble again for his Warner send off yesterday.

Last edited:

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rabada knows it's a 4 test series right? And that getting suspended for the rest of it when it's still 1-1 was a bad idea? When he's far and away their most threatening bowler?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn this has been a dirty series.

To be honest, Australia has been the bad guys and hated by the rest of world cricket, especially after our long period of dominance. Now this just gives the world another reason to keep hating us. And when we try cheating stunts like this who can blame them?

I know I've said this beforebut Smith doesn't seem like captain material and he should step down for this. This is his second cheating incident too after the whole change room DRS controversy. Plus this has to be coming from Darren Lehmamn as well. He controls that team.

This is so disgraceful and so blatant and so dumb with all the cameras around too. It has broken my heart a little and I feel so deeply ashamed of my team since I thought they were better than this.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for Cameron Bancroft too. I think he's been pressured into this by upper leadership due to his place on the team not being secure. Like a form of blackmail to keep on the good side of the ones who will decide his fate. Now it's a black mark on his career forever.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you think how many times they've done it before and got away with it, because surely this can't be the first time.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I feel for Cameron Bancroft too. I think he's been pressured into this by upper leadership due to his place on the team not being secure. Like a form of blackmail to keep on the good side of the ones who will decide his fate. Now it's a black mark on his career forever.

A black mark on this whole team I feel. Pretty shameful stuff.

Goddamn this has been a dirty series.

To be honest, Australia has been the bad guys and hated by the rest of world cricket, especially after our long period of dominance. Now this just gives the world another reason to keep hating us. And when we try cheating stunts like this who can blame them?

I know I've said this beforebut Smith doesn't seem like captain material and he should step down for this. This is his second cheating incident too after the whole change room DRS controversy. Plus this has to be coming from Darren Lehmamn as well. He controls that team.

This is so disgraceful and so blatant and so dumb with all the cameras around too. It has broken my heart a little and I feel so deeply ashamed of my team since I thought they were better than this.

I feel the same. It just doesn't make sense to me on any level. I'm not even Australian (my husband who is introduced it to me), but it hurts. Smith was the last person I expected to do something like this. I guess I completely misjudged him.

That or they had him do it as insurance in case they got caught they could chalk it up to the 'young fella' making a rookie error or something trying to help them win. I don't know, but agreed that it'll colour his entire career from here on out. Damned shame.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The culture has been rotten in the Australian team for a long time really. I can't believe how long a rope Lehmann has gotten. Hopefully this finally sees him sacked. Smith should lose the captaincy too but who the heck do you actually make captain in his place?

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
The culture has been rotten in the Australian team for a long time really. I can't believe how long a rope Lehmann has gotten. Hopefully this finally sees him sacked. Smith should lose the captaincy too but who the heck do you actually make captain in his place?

Tim Paine's probably the best option lol. Unless he was part of the "leadership group" too.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
So dumb, creating sandpaper with medical tape and grit from the pitch, shows the level of intelligence they are operating on.

Also bullying the youngest and most insecure guy in the team so if it all goes wrong he can take the fall, wow. Australian cricket is going to have to go a long way to make up for this.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would have said Warner would be replacement captain if he didn't have his own controversy this series.

I guess Khawaja or Mitch Marsh, since they're the captains of their respective Shield teams.

^Michael Clarke can still play? I remember him being pretty injured in the tail end of his career and who knows how he'll go after not playing international level for years.

I certainly think he's a much better captain in most areas than Smith but I don't know if it's so good to get Clarke out of retirement compared to someone younger stepping up. Though we might need someone like Clarke who has that experience to sort this shit out. Hmmm

Last edited:

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I would have said Warner would be replacement captain if he didn't have his own controversy this series.

I guess Khawaja or Mitch Marsh, since they're the captains of their respective Shield teams.

^Michael Clarke can still play? I remember him being pretty injured in the tail end of his career and who knows how he'll go after not playing international level for years.

I certainly think he's a much better captain in most areas than Smith but I don't know if it's so good to get Clarke out of retirement compared to someone younger stepping up. Though we might need someone like Clarke who has that experience to sort this shit out. Hmmm

Warner was involved in the decision to cheat, so it can't be him even disregarding the other stuff.

Cummins is actually the best answer, long term, but it's probably too soon.

Nov 14, 2017
I don't see Smith losing the captaincy. Beyond the lack of other options, they probably feel they can get through this with the mea culpa.
Warner was involved in the decision to cheat, so it can't be him even disregarding the other stuff.

Cummins is actually the best answer, long term, but it's probably too soon.
I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to Warner if the rumours surrounding some of his past controversies are true, but yeah, his temperament and involvement with this scandal rule him out. As for Cummins, doesn't Australia have a pathological aversion to bowlers in leadership roles?

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Smith and Warner need to banned for at least six months. Lehmann fired. Make Khawaja captain. A dark, dark, dark day for Australian cricket. The amount of idiocy and unsportsmanship makes me sick.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Just heard the news. The Australian team has always had the reputation of playing rough but they always played by the rules. They never had any major allegations or incidents of this nature associated with them. Really disappointed. Never expected Smith of all people to be a participant in something like this.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
How is Clarke even in consideration (even in his own opinion) for the captaincy? Surprised he didn't dismiss the suggestion completely. He hasn't been part of the team for a couple of years now.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Though if they want someone experienced they'll just pull good old George Bailey from the shelf and have him caretaker captain.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder about Lehmann's involvement. Smith says Lehmann had no knowledge of their plans but based on what I'm hearing Lehmann's the one who sent out a message on the field for Bancroft to put the tape down his pants. Was he just trying to save the team's reputation by hiding it after learning what happened?

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I do wonder about Lehmann's involvement. Smith says he had no knowledge of this but based on what I'm hearing he's the one who sent out a message on the field for Bancroft to put the tape down his pants. Was he just trying to save the team's reputation by hiding it after learning what happened?
I don't wonder at all. He's clearly complicit in the whole affair.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder about Lehmann's involvement. Smith says Lehmann had no knowledge of their plans but based on what I'm hearing Lehmann's the one who sent out a message on the field for Bancroft to put the tape down his pants. Was he just trying to save the team's reputation by hiding it after learning what happened?

Lehmann has been the one controlling the team since he came in.

I have no doubt in my mind he's in on it.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
As stupid as was... the response is getting pretty out of control. Like, they haven't locked children in indefinite detention or anything...

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
BREAKING: Steve Smith and David Warner have both stepped down as Captain and Vice Captain of Australia with immediate effect.

kilner

Oct 28, 2017
What a time to get back into watching cricket.

This is why the incident is so heinous, even when compared to some other recent cheating scandals. The cheating is bad of course, but the level of premeditation and cowardice involved from Australia's "leadership group" in ordering a junior player to actually commit the act is disgusting.

BREAKING: Steve Smith and David Warner have both stepped down as Captain and Vice Captain of Australia with immediate effect.

Had to happen. Can't believe Smith initially thought there was a chance he'd stay captain.

It's also hard to believe Smith's claims that none of the coaching staff were involved and that this was the first time they've cheated in this fashion. Lehmann on the radio during the incident and the coach's comments about reverse swing earlier in the series -- "Obviously, there are techniques used by both sides to get the ball reverse and that's just the way the game goes." -- certainly make me suspicious.