• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I suppose now we wait to see what the team will be tonight. Probably two options for the top 5:

Renshaw, Burns, Khawaja, Handscomb, SMarsh

or

Renshaw, SMarsh, Khawaja, Handscomb, Maxi

I suspect the top one is most likely.

Nov 14, 2017
South Africa piling runs onto an already mammoth lead instead of declaring because three of their bowling attack are injured. Guess it wouldn't be right for the series to have an ordinary ending.

Nov 14, 2017
NZ batting out the day for a draw after losing 4 wickets in the first session, 2 off the first 2 balls, is a pretty crazy contrast. Completely different contexts and headspaces of course, but still.
4th worst loss in the history of Test cricket on runs. Doesn't include losses by an innings and...
Obviously we can't know how the game would have played out had SA enforced the follow on but Australia was still 148 runs behind SA's first innings total by the end of their second.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
NZ batting out the day for a draw after losing 4 wickets in the first session, 2 off the first 2 balls, is a pretty crazy contrast. Completely different contexts and headspaces of course, but still.

Obviously we can't know how the game would have played out had SA enforced the follow on but Australia was still 148 runs behind SA's first innings total by the end of their second.

Australia did once lose by an innings and 650 runs to England. Makes today not seem so bad.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it looks like only Test cricket and part of the BBL will be on 7. ODI, T20 and the rest of the BBL are gone to foxtel only. Not sure how they are going to get away with it as ODIs and T20s in Australia are on the anti-syphoning list.

From the Guardian:

Under the deal, it is expected pay TV provider Fox Sports will have exclusive rights to some BBL matches while simulcasting Tests and limited overs matches.

It'll just be like the AFL - no ads and maybe a different commentary team.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
From the Guardian:

Under the deal, it is expected pay TV provider Fox Sports will have exclusive rights to some BBL matches while simulcasting Tests and limited overs matches.

It'll just be like the AFL - no ads and maybe a different commentary team.

I was going on the guy from ABC, this makes more sense. Though foxtel have tried to influence the anti-syphoning list before.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I used to watch every BBL game so that's a big shame.

Apparently RIP to ODIs too.

Last edited:

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
The kind of cricket tragic that would get Foxtel for it probably doesn't give a fuck about ODIs or T20s either.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
16 BBL exclusive to foxtel, 43 simulcast. International ODI and T20 exclusive to foxtel. Deal is worth 1.2 billion over 6 years.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Official:

Tests and 43/59 BBL games simulcast on 7. Big BBL and finals simulcast. Might mean instead of double headers, BBL games might be scheduled at the same time. All womens international cricket on 7.

Odi and t20 international cricket exclusive to fox along with domestic cricket.

Looks like Foxtel and CA think they can get around the anti-syphoning list, the law hasn't changed and the minister has only been made aware. James Sutherland is not answering the question at all and it looks like they are relying on the law being changed in the future.

Last edited:

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, admitting that the international ODIs are still on the anti-siphoning list and it needs to be "worked out".

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
DsCxjzt.png

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
It seems very strange to announce a deal that's conditional on changing a popular law (albeit a regulation), although maybe not when the government gave Foxtel $30b because ??? and the coms minister is an IPA stooge.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I know Nine could be bad and the commentary team was pretty tired, but this really does not seem good :\

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will mean we're more likely to have tests after New Years, as CA want the international game in the limelight for longer

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about signing up to that $39 Foxtel sports package now ever since the announcement.

It's working on me :(

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
India has refused to play the Adelide test match as a day-night using the pink ball; so it'll be a standard red ball day match like the rest of the games. I think this is a bit of a shame, as I've enjoyed the bit of difference it provides (for one test at least).

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
India has refused to play the Adelide test match as a day-night using the pink ball; so it'll be a standard red ball day match like the rest of the games. I think this is a bit of a shame, as I've enjoyed the bit of difference it provides (for one test at least).
Yeah, saw the headline today while browsing the news. Seems a typically silly and conservative decision.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Hey guys sorry for asking this as it may have been addressed earlier, but what is the best option or package available to view Cricket games?

I live in NJ (USA) and my parents are direhard cricket fans - I'd like to get them a channel or two which shows all games. Saw the deal with Sling tv for the Willow Cricket channel which is at a very reasonable $60 for 12 months. Does anyone use this? How is the Sling stream? Are there better options available?

We have Direct TV but they don't offer any intl sports channel which covers or shows live Cricket.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys sorry for asking this as it may have been addressed earlier, but what is the best option or package available to view Cricket games?

I live in NJ (USA) and my parents are direhard cricket fans

Your parents seem like good people, where did you go wrong?

You're still my boy though. We'll always have Nick Foles :*)

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I live in NJ (USA) and my parents are direhard cricket fans - I'd like to get them a channel or two which shows all games. Saw the deal with Sling tv for the Willow Cricket channel which is at a very reasonable $60 for 12 months. Does anyone use this? How is the Sling stream? Are there better options available?

We have Direct TV but they don't offer any intl sports channel which covers or shows live Cricket.

Thanks in advance!

The problem is that the rights keep jumping around by series(Willow, Hotstar, EPSN, Yupp), so I would be leery of subbing longterm to one service. I've been using Hotstar for this IPL. My roommate was using Willow previously. (He says Willow straight sub is again a little different from Willow through Sling).

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Your parents seem like good people, where did you go wrong?

You're still my boy though. We'll always have Nick Foles :*)

I grew up watching and playing Cricket but we moved to the US when I was 11 and 20+ years later I only watch here and there.

Parents are still obsessed. I'll try the Sling trial and see how it is.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I found myself watching most of the ODI between England and Scotland today.

I actually quite liked it - think I've avoided any interest in the sport due to an exposure to the test match formula when younger.

Should have been rooting for England but pleased that Scotland won - if only for that part of me who roots for the underdog.