• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think this deserves a spotlight, because SE put in a lot more work than I was expecting.

6jA5Bo5.png

6EQHSvC.gif

Credits for gif: Dreamboum

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It looks great and I'm excited to play it. It's the same engine as FF7R, but not quite as polished.

Oh I just noticed it's being released on Switch too. Probably explains it.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why Bandai?

I always liked how the game looked on PSP but the new style looks awesome too!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright Xeno just quoted me.

Here are gameplay changes that we know of SO FAR :

- Removed the recovery on basic actions, including dodges, it now lets you act right after

- Added an actual combo system (chaining basic attacks together and into abilities and magic, smoothly)

- Shortcut menu for abilities

- Dedicated attack button which now gives this a layout identical to FF7R (attack, guard, dodge, ability/magic shortcut and menu for items)

- Ingame limits from the DMW

pic1_l.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't even have dreamt that Crisis Core Remaster would get this much work done and have this kind of high level of effort.

Even the gameplay the battle system now is very fast and action based like the Remake, they have done a respectful proper work with this.

I'm beyond happy and pleased :-)

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I remember playing it on the PSP and didn't realize it looked that bad until seeing these side by sides.

Quite the upgrade.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Why Bandai?

I always liked how the game looked on PSP but the new style looks awesome too!
Bandai Namco Spain? twitter account retweeted Crisis Core Reunion post.

But I am not 100% sure if they are developer since I know Bamco publish Square Enix games in certain regions so it might just be that.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco Spain? twitter account retweeted Crisis Core Reunion post.

But I am not 100% sure if they are developer since I know Bamco publish Square Enix games in certain regions so it might just be that.
Oh I didn't know that!
True my FF X from Korea was also published by Bamco!

Dec 2, 2017
I think a lot of people either forget how bad the PSP version looks now, or only have seen it in upscaled emulation, cos the PSP version is really fuzzy and awful looking.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible upgrade. I'm not a massive fan of Zack's new face, but I'll adjust.

I always thought it was tragic that Crisis Core was shelved so quickly after release, largely due to the abandonment of the Compilation and the lack of a digital version to play on Vita. I'm beyond thrilled that a whole new set of players get to enjoy it, especially in a version that's clearly had a lot of love put into it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It does look much better, but I also really like the art style of the PSP games

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Oh I just noticed it's being released on Switch too. Probably explains it.
When I watched the videos I instantly thought that the IQ looked worse than the PS4 version of FF7R and went "dammit, Switch downgrade". Sure enough I was right. Excited to play it anyhow for the first time.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
From the trailer I felt it was a near complete upgrade all across the board besides the changed voice cast. George Newbern's best work as Sephiroth was in the original PSP version.

Nov 23, 2017
Even though I didn't like Crisis Core all that much, I'm hyped to play this Reunion. Despite the polish not being completely there, this is definitely still a major step up.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising for sure. Way more effort went into this than I thought, too bad the reels are still in.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a remake to me, not a remaster. Even if it is 1:1 the OG game, it could still be called a remake. I mean, Demon's Souls PS5 was considered a remake even though it played exactly like the original.
Surprising for sure. Way more effort went into this than I thought, too bad the reels are still in.
They're still in, but I believe they don't halt gameplay anymore.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nu Zack's cheeks look a bit puffy.

I think you shouldn't worry, keep in mind this is young Zack.

He gets his grown up version later on and given Aerith is 1:1 I can't imagine he's not gonna look like his 7R counterpart.

Grown up Zack will be more chiseled. I think they didn't show him precisely to have some hype reveal later.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the skin on the OG's character models was a really strange color... They looked seriously ill

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They're still in, but I believe they don't halt gameplay anymore.
They probably could just import FF7R gameplay and remove reels if they are going that far but it would collide with the reason DMW/reels are there for. You know what I am talking about if you finished the game, that moment definitely deserves to stay in.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good!

It's good they're giving the game some tweaks, last time I replayed the game I noticed was not good as I remembered.

I hope someday SE do the same thing with more PSP games (mainly Dissidia/Duodecim).

Edit: Hyped, hopefully we'll have glorious Genesis cameo in Rebirth or Part3.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I watched the videos I instantly thought that the IQ looked worse than the PS4 version of FF7R and went "dammit, Switch downgrade". Sure enough I was right. Excited to play it anyhow for the first time.
This has less to do with the Switch and more to do with the budget

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh damn, the animation in the cutscenes is straight up identical, even the camera work and facial expressions. Didn't expect that given the assets are ps4 quality and how much they've reworked the gameplay.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
It's truly heartwarming to see it receive this much of an update. I honestly would have been happy with a fresh 4K coat of paint.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people calling this a remaster? I don't see a single asset from the original game, this was completely remade from the ground up.
Looks fantastic but the voice acting is rubbing me the wrong way.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why are people calling this a remaster? I don't see a single asset from the original game, this was completely remade from the ground up.

It's still using the original game as a base. It's a highly enhanced port. Square Enix press release also refers to it as a remaster.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I mean we call Demons Souls a remaster as well. At this point most go

Remaster - Same game but new graphics
Remake - Not the same game but takes inspiration from it

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017