• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I waited two days to create this thread in order for it to not be mistaken for a knee-jerk reaction, so I'm glad we got this out of the way.

The mental gymnastics required to claim Messi is superior when Ronnie is the one winning all the relevant trophies left and right well into his thirties, and breaking records long considered untouchable, never fail to make me laugh. The accumulation of trophies absolutely matters and it's not like Messi's teams (particularly Pep's Barca und 2014 Argentina) were incapable of matching or exceeding the success of Ronaldo's. Messi didn't because he is not as good.

Cristiano is arrogant and arguably not very likeable and I believe that majorly impacts how people perceive him in comparison to the supposedly humble Lionel who they'd rather identify with.

It's horseshit in my book. I've been watching Cristiano ever since ~2003 I believe and the consistency this guy displays, while now being well into his thirties is simply inexplicable and without equal.

skysports-cristiano-ronaldo-euro-portugal-trophy_3851288.jpg

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if portugal and argentina win their groups at the world cup, there is a chance they will play in the quarters, assuming they both win one play-off match first. that would be nice to see.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is, but footballera should never spill into offtopic.

Offtopic is exclusively for asking other adults how to wash your ass, or posting topics about anime.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No, CR is not arrogant, you got this wrong.

And yes he is the GOAT, better than Messi for me. I won't take away anything from Messi, he too is GOAT but several thing makes me rate Ronaldo better.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take please look at my hot take

Cristiano not even Top 500
Not even best Ronaldo
Not even best Portuguese player
Not even best 7 in world

Please quote my hot take!

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Best goal scorer of all time. The sheer number of different ways he can score is unmatched.

Messi is the best and most naturally gifted footballer of all time.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Messi was one goal away from being undisputeable GOAT

Wish he not miss one of those two golden chance vs germany so I'm not hearing rubbish like this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be a hot take. The achievements of Ronaldo are GOAT worthy whether you look at the trophies his teams earned or his individual stats. Of course, it's not easy to compare accomplishments across several decades because a lot changed. I'm just saying that the prevailing sentiment that of course Messi is the GOAT but Cristiano is a close but clear second best is based on not a whole lot. Declaring Messi the best by default should be the hot take in the future. It certainly will be when the tears have dried after Cristiano's 3rd CL win in a row.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It shouldn't be a hot take. The achievements of Ronaldo are GOAT worthy whether you look at the trophies his teams earned or his individual stats. Of course, it's not easy to compare accomplishments across several decades because a lot changed. I'm just saying that the prevailing sentiment that of course Messi is the GOAT but Cristiano is a close but clear second best is based on not a whole lot.

Oh no believe me, I agree. I like to poke fun at both rabid fanbases, but all in all, I regard both as the best players I will see in my life (I never saw Pele or Maradona play); so, to be honest, I'm grateful to be able to watch them make their usual magic each week. Both are GOATs to tme.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
He is not even the best player of his generation. Messi is superior in almost every way. Even most coaches and players think Messi is better. Ronaldo just has the euro over him. Messi is unlucky that Argentina have lost 3 straight finals.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics required to claim Messi is superior when Ronnie is the one winning all the relevant trophies left and right well into his thirties, and breaking records long considered untouchable, never fail to make me laugh. The accumulation of trophies absolutely matters and it's not like Messi's teams (particularly Pep's Barca und 2014 Argentina) were incapable of matching or exceeding the success of Ronaldo's. Messi didn't because he is not as good.
LMAO

This thread is mental Olympics.

Gold medal, sir.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Ronnie is the one winning all the relevant trophies​

Like never coming close to winning the World Cup, or when Portugal won the Euro after he got injured?

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Cristiano is a great striker, but that's about it. In no way will he ever match Messi which is arguably as good as striker as Ronaldo but way better in every other art of the game besides defending. In regards of success from trophies they are pretty much equal, Ronaldo fans will compare him to Messi just in the amount of goals they score but that's about it.

And that's considering Messi is 2 years younger, not an striker and has only 50 or so goals less than Ronaldo in his career. Ronaldo is arguably like closer to Muller, Messi is closer to the greats, Maradona, Pele and Kruyff. and just as Muller, Ronaldo won't be considered in the top 5 players of all time, he will be considered as one of the best strikers tho.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How injured could Penaldo have been in the first place at the Euros with him jumping around like a cheerleader on the sidelines?

Willkiller

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By what metric?

Messi and Cristiano have similar career goal and assists records, with Ronaldo playing around 150 more games.

They've won the same number of Ballon d'Ors and the same amount of Champions leagues.

But Messi has won more domestic cups, comfortably. Messi and Barca have had a total monopoly on La Liga, and are about to win another.

And that's just the stats and figures, style of play is a far more one-sided story.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By what metric?

Messi and Cristiano have similar career goal and assists records, with Ronaldo playing around 150 more games.

They've won the same number of Ballon d'Ors and the same amount of Champions leagues.

But Messi has won more domestic cups, comfortably. Messi and Barca have had a total monopoly on La Liga, and are about to win another.
It's hilarious. People talk about team success and then ignore the competition in which they've been competing head to head for a decade.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
They are both top tier and on another level. Messi is the better natural player. Ronaldo seems he has to train endless hours where Messi just shows up and is that good. I also think as they age Messi's ball skills will keep him relevant where a Ronaldo with no pace will not be much to deal with.

Ronaldo can't carry his team to league championships on a consistent basis like Messi does. Outside of the Euro win isn't Ronaldo way behind on team trophy awards?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep easily. Shuts up haters time and time again. The king of champions league. Just got the greatest goal in champions league history.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Yep easily. Shuts up haters time and time again. The king of champions league. Just got the greatest goal in champions league history.

Honestly the floating in air Messi header in the final against United is more memorable. It was a final and it put the so called weakness of his air ability to bed (he scores headers)

Status
Not open for further replies.