• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
WTF IS THIS. We dont know what took place, why is everyone judging a person without any actual proof of what has happend? IF he did rape her, he deserves jailtime or worse! but we dont have any proof. wtf happend to innocent until proven guilty? this shit needs to stop. ( I AM ONLY TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLING A PERSON GUILITY OR A RAPIST WITHOUT ACTUAL PROOF, I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT RAPIST SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALK AWAY BY PAYING THE VICTIM!)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
WTF IS THIS. We dont know what took place, why is everyone judging a person without any actual proof of what has happend? IF he did rape her, he deserves jailtime or worse! but we dont have any proof. wtf happend to innocent until proven guilty? this shit needs to stop. ( I AM ONLY TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLING A PERSON GUILITY OR A RAPIST WITHOUT ACTUAL PROOF, I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT RAPIST SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALK AWAY BY PAYING THE VICTIM!)

Correct, he is innocent, but his actions speak quite loud.
  • Statement where he admits her saying 'Stop' and 'No', then redacts this
  • He apologized after the sex
  • Above, they wheren't even able to serve him the court order...
So yeah... I usualy dislike where people jump on a person regarding rape, since your approach should be 'take her seriosly' and let the justice system have at it. But I am also not naive to think that rich and famous people can get away with more stuff. In this case it seem like she didn't take the money and is actually trying to bring justice to him.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Sexual Assault and a History of Similar Behavior; Previous Severe Infraction Related to Misogyny
Correct, he is innocent, but his actions speak quite loud.

• Statement where he admits her saying 'Stop' and 'No', then redacts this
  • He apologized after the sex
  • Above, they wheren't even able to serve him the court order...
So yeah...
Just to clear things up. i do believe something shady did happen, but that is my opinion. i also understood they served him a court order in italy last week. so lets see how this plays out. i also wonder if he is legally forced to go to the usa to attend the court order?

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is Ronaldo basically admitted to the rape (and admitted to the extent of physical harm that Mayorga experienced, as well as the lack of consent on her part to what he wanted to do), and Mayorga had a smoking gun to his head for him to face consequences for his actions. Frankly, I find it stupid that all it takes is money to make the charges disappear. If you commit a crime, especially one as egregious as rape, then you deserve to go to jail.

This was a lawsuit though not criminal charges. It's up to the police etc etc to prosecute him.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just to clear things up. i do believe something shady did happen, but that is my opinion. i also understood they served him a court order in italy last week. so lets see how this plays out. i also wonder if he is legally forced to go to the usa to attend the court order?

If he is legally forced depends on the extradiction policies between the countries I assume.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sad that nothing bad is going to happen to him even though he admitted.

Édit: Oh ok just a different court then.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I hope she can find some peace with hundreds of thousands of dollars then.
I don't want to put pressure on you but I find such interventions puzzling. Do you have any reason to show emotions in this context. The fact that these things happen to random strangers should leave you stoic.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
He's not legally obligated to fly to the US and there's no court order for his arrest abroad

He's also apparently not going with Juventus to the US for the pre-season precisely because of this issue (if the case was dropped, which I'm not sure it has because of that Der Spiegel tweet)

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Duration pending on that ban? How about a permanent? It's always like this every fucking day now where any thread can be derailed by yet another troll and the mod team give a minor slap on the wrist

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just a US legal system thing? I'm no expert on US criminal law, but say that this crime was committed in Belgium, the victim 'dropping the charges' would not have any concequences at all. The crime is completely seperate from the wishes of the victim. If the crime is committed the authorities will decide whether to persue it in court or not.

Without the key witness the case is essentially dead. They've no real proof outside leaked documents that could easily be quashed by a decent lawyer

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
giphy.gif

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is Ronaldo basically admitted to the rape (and admitted to the extent of physical harm that Mayorga experienced, as well as the lack of consent on her part to what he wanted to do), and Mayorga had a smoking gun to his head for him to face consequences for his actions. Frankly, I find it stupid that all it takes is money to make the charges disappear. If you commit a crime, especially one as egregious as rape, then you deserve to go to jail.
The criminal charges do not dissapear. Thats up to a prosecutor to decide. Civil charges dissapear because those are strictly between two private parties.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

No, he didn't. Settling isn't an admission of guilt. Another reason why someone public and famous would settle is to prevent any further reputational damage, to make someone go away.

sandkiller

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
I was just reading this in bloomberg and the op doesn't seem fully clear on this topic.

It doesn't look like money was involved as this matter is not fully closed. Closed in one court bit opened on another one? I'm not familiar with US justice system....

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he didn't. Settling isn't an admission of guilt. Another reason why someone public and famous would settle is to prevent any further reputational damage, to make someone go away.

The person isn't referring to the settlement but Ronaldo saying in writing she said stop and no multiple times. It's linked in this thread.

All they have against him is the victim's words, essentially. It's going to be next to impossible to have a case now.

I didn't realize you were on Ronaldo's defense team and can categorically make statements like this.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
No amount of money or jail time would ever make my abuse go away, but I definitely sympathize with someone getting a cash payout. I wouldn't even want to head to a trial at this point in my life, which is where I can see a financial settlement being the best of a horrific situation.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It never made sense to me that in the US you can basically buy out your victim. In most European countries, if there's a suspect a crime has been committed the state has a procedural obligation to investigate.

Oct 26, 2017

Did you even read what I said? Nowhere did I say anything about settling = admission of guilt. I said that Ronaldo made an admission where he went into detail about what happened.

Documents Ronaldo and his team said were incorrect and had been edited.

And yet, there wasn't an affidavit served to not only prove that the report was incorrect, but also undermine it as "evidence." In other words, his team's claims are completely hollow.