• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The job posting in question:

Criterion said:
Lead Combat Designer

Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Star Wars Battlefront II and pushing the boundaries with our own brand new IP.

You are passionate about:
  • All types of combat in games but in particularly melee combat
  • Action and Action Adventure games
  • Physics and physicality in games
http://criteriongames.com/combat-designer/

It might also be an open world game:

An Environment Artist will need:
  • Experience in open world game production is a plus
http://criteriongames.com/environment-artist-contract/

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Stop. Criterion today has 0 staff from Burnout era.

All are gone after NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, more or less.

Criterion was rebuilt and relocated by EA. Criterion is just a name for pedigree. Like Bioware everywhere nowadays. Ea loves stappling glorious studio name all over the place as a make believe.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
''New Criterion ip''
Oh awesome!
''melee combat action adventure''
What the fuck? Ok then, that is pretty intriguing.

Pixis

Oct 31, 2017
Presumably this will be some sort of assistance with Motive's new IP? I know it says 'our own brand new IP' but I can't imagine this is referring to something Criterion are heading up as the main studio...

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Criterion were still alive.
They're actually larger than they've ever been before. They were at 80 before shrinking down to around 17, and are now up to 90+.

Whatever Criterion is working on, the studio is growing. Mole notes that it has around 90 employees, and the company is hiring to help its current and future projects.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/17/psvrs-x-wing-mission-studio-is-working-on-battlefront-ii/

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be anything from a fighting game to Assassin's Creed EA basically (that cancelled Star Wars game perhaps in another shape?). We'll see how it goes.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Criterion was rebuilt and relocated by EA. Criterion is just a name for pedigree. Like Bioware everywhere nowadays. Ea loves stappling glorious studio name all over the place as a make believe.

I didn't know all the Burnout-era staff had left the company.

It's a pity because Criterion made the best contribution to Star Wars Battlefront 2. What I played of Starfighter Assault made me crave a new Rogue Squadron game.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Im not sure it's accurate to say 0 staff from the Burnout era. There may still be a few. I know there were a couple years ago.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

Good to know, thanks.

I didn't know Criterion were still alive.

Me neither.

Shame we never got that F-Zero from them when they were an incredible racing studio.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

You're probably right :(

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
What are the chances of this coming out at all after what happened to their last project?

Still, this is one of the first times I can say that I'm not really interested in a Criterion game. *Sigh*

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously their speciality is racing games, but they have given us Black as well, so I'm at least intrigued by them trying out something new.

Burnout, but the cars have fists
9VRUqS1.gif

Let's go.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I guess this makes sense. Haven't seen anything come out good from them since then. Most wanted was the closest decent release they had since Hot Pursuit. They seem to be long gone from their glory days

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
It's incredible to see the success of Horizon inspiring other publishers to invest in open world action games. Super weird, but kinda incredible.

Oct 26, 2017
So EA has. (without counting sport games

- New Battlefield game
- New Dragon Age in development
- EA Motive new game
- Respawn's SW
- Titanfall 3
- ANTHEM
- ex-Visceral SW games (EA Canada & Vancouver now)
- Criterion new project

As announced/rumoured games.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina

More negativity please!
I mean, all companies have hires and leaves.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
More negativity please!
I mean, all companies have hires and leaves.

Yes. But let's say New Criterion of EA, who helped on Battlefront and made Xwing Vr experience, then. Not Burnout. Because its really not the same Criterion.

It's like saying " mass effect andromeda, made by bioware, the same that made the original trilogy " : this is indeed Bioware but only by the name. Totally different studio, in different states and 0% of the same team lol

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
What? We had a lot of open world games before HZD success, what are you talking about? lol
I'm referring specifically to Eurogamer's piece on Fable 4, which stated that Microsoft were partly inspired by Sony's success with Horizon;

"So, what changed? We've heard Microsoft's rekindled interest in Fable was in part inspired by Sony's phenomenal success with Guerrilla Games' PlayStation 4-exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn. As of June 2017, Guerrilla's story-driven, single-player open-world action RPG had sold over 3.4m copies."

Seems reasonable to me that EA would also look at that game's success when thinking about open-world RPGs.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm referring specifically to Eurogamer's piece on Fable 4, which stated that Microsoft were partly inspired by Sony's success with Horizon;

"So, what changed? We've heard Microsoft's rekindled interest in Fable was in part inspired by Sony's phenomenal success with Guerrilla Games' PlayStation 4-exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn. As of June 2017, Guerrilla's story-driven, single-player open-world action RPG had sold over 3.4m copies."

Seems reasonable to me that EA would also look at that game's success when thinking about open-world RPGs.

That's Microsoft and ok, but we had open world games from other publishers in the last 3-4 years, way before HZD, TW3 or BOTW success, it's not a new thing.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA seems to really be ramping up for next gen consoles between this, Respawn Star Wars, and Motives new Ip

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

It's hyperbole to say not a single original criterion staffer from the Burnout era does not work there anymore.
People come and leave companies all the time. The creators of Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter aren't even at NaughtyDog anymore, and ND makes excellent games to this day still.
You can argue they switched genres, which they did. But you can say that Critieron switching from arcade racing to melee combat is the same too.
Can't we just all look forward to a new game from Criterion, without spreading negativity first?
I do hope one day that Criterion can revisit Beyond Cars or Burnout one day.