• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Criterion:
The Criterion Channel, our new streaming service for movie lovers, will launch April 8 in the U.S. and Canada.

Thematically programmed with special features, the Criterion Channel will offer constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterion's entire streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films from around the world.

If you haven't already signed up to become a Charter Subscriber, now's the time! And if you are already on the list, it's time to make your subscription official. Sign up now to lock in an extended 30-day free trial (starting April 8) and reduced pricing for as long as your account stays active.

As a Charter Subscriber, you'll be able to start watching right now with our Movie of the Week series, featuring a new surprise every Wednesday from now until launch.

Happy viewing!
Yay! Just got the email update.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like no app for the Xbox One or PS4 as of yet.

These were in the works for several years at Filmstruck and nothing ever came out of it. I wouldn't expect them anytime soon unless criterion has more resources this time (don't think there's any indication of this unfortunately)

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
These were in the works for several years at Filmstruck and nothing ever came out of it. I wouldn't expect them anytime soon unless criterion has more resources this time (don't think there's any indication of this unfortunately)
Nor the Fire TV which was supported by FilmStruck. Welp, guess I'll use the TV browser.
Fack. I'll continue patronizing my local library then.
I'm just shocked that with how big both consoles are they would make an app for them. Yes I can stream from my TV with a wireless connection but I want a wired connection.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Woo this is amazing! Hows the streaming interface? Early on I had problems with FilmStruck but it got better in the last year or so.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I signed up and it said it wouldn't start until April, and that was going to be the trial, but it says on the page it's going to start charging me in March.

I'm still going to miss filmstruck though, it had plenty on there that was good that wasn't criterion.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Mikey and Nicky may not be the best title to preview the service with, because the film grain combined with their compression makes everything look like a mess.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Roku app yet?

I don't think there are any apps yet.

E8ZuC1p.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of what films will be available?

I like Criterion, but it was usually only the really old movies that went up on Hulu/Filmstruck. I'd be more interested in stuff from the 1980's and onward.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean I can watch ALMOST EVERY SINGLE JAPANESE CHANBARA AND SAMURAI MOVIE again? Because Hulu free trials used to be my goto.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So every single criterion release ever will be on this?

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
So every single criterion release ever will be on this?

The site sez:

"Constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterion's entire streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films from around the world"

Cbrun44

I'll be 100% in if it's legitimately most (or at least more) of the collection rather than the same titles that have been streaming in the Hulu/FilmStruck rotation for years. Regardless this will be a bargain for most.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no question I'm going to subscribe to this. Excited that Filmstruck essentially lives on. As annoying as it is to say, this is one of the most important streaming services imo.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely hope this takes off. I'm in on Day 1

Any idea if Venom will launch with the service?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The site sez:

"Constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterion's entire streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films from around the world"

what does this mean? Will everything be there day 1? will movies go in and out of rotation?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, okay, I'll sign up for the weekly movie club until launch and the free month. Show me what you got, Criterion Unchained.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
$7.50/month-$90/year was good enough to get me to sign up for the Charter subscription. I'll decide if I want to continue subscribing a year from from now, after I see how it pans out.

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally! Really hoping this sticks around since its Criterion themselves doing the service, rather than another company. Criterion is doing great work at making these films more accessible to a wider audience without having to spend the cash on a Blu-Ray.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
I found this post on the Criterion blog, from November last year. It gives some detail on the kind of content expected for the new channel.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

Well, if you loved the curated programming we've been doing with our friends at FilmStruck, we have good news for you. The Criterion Collection team is going to be carrying on with that mission, launching the Criterion Channel as a freestanding service in spring 2019.

We've been trying to make something a little different for the past two years—a movie lover's dream streaming service, with smart thematic programming, where the history of cinema can live and breathe, where a new generation of filmmakers and film lovers can explore the classics or revel in rarities, where adventurous cinephiles can champion films that have never gotten their due, and newcomers can easily find guidance from major filmmakers, top scholars, curators, and other experts from all walks of life.

The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries. We will continue with our guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing. Our regular series like Art-House America, Split Screen, and Meet the Filmmakers, and our Ten Minutes or Less section will all live on, along with Tuesday's Short + Feature and the Friday Night Double Feature, and of course our monthly fifteen-minute film school, Observations on Film Art.