• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Can't decide between Naked Lunch and Videodrome. Anyone seen both recommend one over the other?

Also heavily considering All That Jazz, been hearing a lot of good things about it. Anyone seen it?

I'm getting these because they're not on the criterion channel.
All That Jazz is fucking amazing. One of those films so rich with vitality and invention, it seems to leap off the screen. Don't miss it.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Really? The transfers are typically top quality and the extras are substantial. From what I read it's pretty unlikely because the market is already niche for Criterion Blu and 4K would be even smaller.
Yeah, I have an LG OLED and even upscaled blu-rays can't compete with a proper 4k blu-ray.

(mainly because of the difference HDR makes).

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
My damages:
2LynQyH.png

One I loved, one's blind.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just convinced my wife to watch the Lady Vanishes for the first time a couple weeks ago. She loved Charters and Caldicott.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Cronenbergs, because they both deal with similar themes and either is a good showcase of the type of filmmaking and body horror he's known for. I would say my personal preference leans to Videodrome because that's unadulterated Cronenberg, whereas Naked Lunch is Cronenberg adapting William Burroughs. I think Naked Lunch is a bit more outré owing to the source material, so I'd say if you're getting into his films for the first time, Videodrome is probably a better start. It also helps to have some familiarity with Burroughs to appreciate Naked Lunch though it's not strictly necessary.
All That Jazz is fucking amazing. One of those films so rich with vitality and invention, it seems to leap off the screen. Don't miss it.

I ended up getting Naked Lunch because of my love of the book and they don't have it on Netflix mail like the others are.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I ended up getting Naked Lunch because of my love of the book and they don't have it on Netflix mail like the others are.

Enjoy! Funny to see another person who also still uses the Netflix mail service, lol. They have a surprising amount of Criterion discs available, in fact I just got Rumble Fish from them last week.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Enjoy! Funny to see another person who also still uses the Netflix mail service, lol. They have a surprising amount of Criterion discs available, in fact I just got Rumble Fish from them last week.

They have a lot of stuff not available on any streaming service so I renewed a few months ago. Don't regret it at all, I wish the turnaround was quicker even though I live in a major city.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Barry Lyndon, Life Aquatic, and charade for 50 after my 10 dollar off coupon. Pretty great deal.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during November:

12 Angry Men, Sidney Lumet, 1957
An American in Paris, Vincente Minnelli, 1951
And Life Goes On, Abbas Kiarostami, 1992
The Arbor, Clio Barnard, 2010**
The Band Wagon, Vincente Minnelli, 1953
The Barkleys of Broadway, Charles Walters, 1949
Big Night, Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci, 1996
Blow Out, Brian De Palma, 1981
Brigadoon, Vincente Minnelli, 1954**
Broadway Melody of 1940, Norman Taurog, 1940
Cabin in the Sky, Vincente Minnelli, 1943
Caché, Michael Haneke, 2005
The Conversation, Francis Ford Coppola, 1974
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Peter Greenaway, 1989
Corpo celeste, Alice Rohrwacher, 2011
Crocus, Suzan Pitt, 1971
Dear Phone, Peter Greenaway, 1976
Death of the Soundman, Sorayos Prapapan, 2017
Delicatessen, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, 1991
Diva, Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981
El doctor, Suzan Pitt, 2006
The Draughtsman's Contract, Peter Greenaway, 1982
Easter Parade, Charles Walters, 1948
Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee, 1994
An Elephant Sitting Still, Hu Bo, 2018
A Face in the Crowd, Elia Kazan, 1957
The Falls, Peter Greenaway, 1980
Five Easy Pieces, Bob Rafelson, 1970
Give a Girl a Break, Stanley Donen, 1953
H Is for House, Peter Greenaway, 1976
Hacked Circuit, Deborah Stratman, 2014
The Harder They Come, Perry Henzell, 1972
The Harvey Girls, George Sidney, 1946
Homework, Abbas Kiarostami, 1989
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone, Tsai Ming-liang, 2006
I Love Melvin, Don Weis, 1953
In the Good Old Summertime, Robert Z. Leonard, 1949
The Inland Sea, Lucille Carra, 1991
Intervals, Peter Greenaway, 1969
It's Always Fair Weather, Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1955
Jefferson Circus Songs, Suzan Pitt, 1973
Joy Street, Suzan Pitt, 1995
Just Another Girl on the I.R.T., Leslie Harris, 1992
Kes, Ken Loach, 1969
The King of Marvin Gardens, Bob Rafelson, 1972
Klute, Alan J. Pakula, 1971
The Last Detail, Hal Ashby, 1973
Lili, Charles Walters, 1953
The Lives of Others, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006**
Meet Me in St Louis, Vincente Minnelli, 1944
Mulholland Dr., David Lynch, 2001
Near Dark, Kathryn Bigelow, 1987
No Place Like Home, Perry Henzell, 2006
On the Town, Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1949
Oslo, August 31st, Joachim Trier, 2011**
The Pillow Book, Peter Greenaway, 1996**
Pinball, Suzan Pitt, 2013
The Pirate, Vincente Minnelli, 1948
Prospero's Books, Peter Greenaway, 1991
Raging Sun, Raging Sky, Julián Hernández, 2009
Reprise, Joachim Trier, 2006
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Stanley Donen, 1954
Stranger by the Lake, Alain Guiraudie, 2013**
Summer Stock, Charles Walters, 1950
That's Entertainment!, Jack Haley Jr., 1974
They Live By Night, Nicholas Ray, 1948
Through the Olive Trees, Abbas Kiarostami, 1994
Vertical Features Remake, Peter Greenaway, 1978
Visitation, Suzan Pitt, 2011
A Walk Through H, Peter Greenaway, 1978
Water Wrackets, Peter Greenaway, 1990
Windows, Peter Greenaway, 1975
The Wonders, Alice Rohrwacher, 2014
Yentl, Barbra Streisand, 1983
A Zed & Two Noughts, Peter Greenaway, 1985

**Available in the U.S. only

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Eat Drink Man Woman is fantastic, Ang Lee classic right there. Been wanting to watch Cache for years too.

captscience

Oct 25, 2017
Another fantastic month with an especially large number of recently released physical titles.

I'd highly recommend An Elephant Sitting Still if you can block off about 4 hours.

Looking forward to checking out the Rohrwacher films. I really enjoyed Happy as Lazzarro.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds that some of the Kurasawa films with DVD version only get a Blu-ray release? I keep passing on them but maybe I should just get them instead of waiting on Blu-rays.
In the same boat as you, I'd like them to do The Naked City and Nights of Cabiria on Blu Ray, Cabiria especially since the dvd is out of print, but they're being stingy.

Last edited:

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the same boat as you, aid like them to do The Naked City and Nights of Cabiria on Blu Ray, Cabiria especially since the dvd is out of print, but they're being stingy.

I would love a Criterion blu ray for The Naked City. I am not sure why they haven't yet. I know Arrow did one for it a few years back.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
One of my fav movies is Last Year at Marienbad... but it is out of print physically and not on Criterion Channel... what gives? What happened to it?

EDIT: I guess Criterion lost the rights but Studio Canal / Kino have released a new transfer as of August!

EDIT: Even better - they've released it on Digital unlike Criterion. Awesome!

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Tonight would be a good opportunity for me to watch Hour of the Wolf.

How much is that film going to depress me?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Fancy metal card came yesterday. It is pretty fancy.

No email, no tracking. They're just sending them as a first class letter.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Got my card in the mail last night. Pretty neat little gift. Not sure what I'll do with it, but cool nevertheless.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck looks like a great month. Just heard about The Cook, The Thief.. on a podcast for it's 30th anniversary, and I also wanna finally watch Mullholland Drive.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Got my card—it's pretty nice. I saw that HBO Max will have Criterion Collection present. Do we know if it will just be Warner owned properties or the same offering as this app?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Something about antiwar movies just hit me hard. First Paths of Glory now No Greater Glory.

I had never heard of it. You see everything coming from a mile away and yet it still gets you. Pretty good! And short too, 80 minutes.

I'm not sure why it's leaving tomorrow. It's damn near 90 years old it's gotta be public domain. There are no special features. Must be something with the restoration. Or they just like cycling stuff for shits and grins.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are pecking away at the Golden Age of Musicals selection. So far we've watched Broadway Melody of 1940, For Me and My Gal, and Give a Girl a Break. Even if none of them have been masterpiecs (the turn For Me and My Gal takes in the middle drags it down so hard) they all have had at least one sequence that has blown me away. Like, check this out:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Oh wow, isn't that the Charade director?

Those balloons must have been added in post. Personally, I think modern musicals have been killing it(Sweeney Todd, Chicago, La La Land), but they're so damn few and far between.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, isn't that the Charade director?

Those balloons must have been added in post. Personally, I think modern musicals have been killing it(Sweeney Todd, Chicago, La La Land), but they're so damn few and far between.
Hell yeah, man! Also directed Singin' in the Rain and a whole bunch of other musicals. To be honest, I really only twig with a movie musical when the choreography is on-point. I can forgive "whatever" songs if the dancing is on point or well-shot but the more it moves away from long takes the less interested I get.