• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, a bunch of Campion and Schrader to watch. Seven Days in May sounds like it's worth a look too.

If anybody hasn't seen a Two Friends check it out, it's as good as Sweetie.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
January releases

3 Faces, Jafar Panahi, 2018
Antonyms of Beauty, Khalik Allah, 2013
Atlantic City, Louis Malle, 1980
Auto Focus, Paul Schrader, 2002**
Baxter, Jérôme Boivin, 1989
Birdman of Alcatraz, John Frankenheimer, 1962
Black Mother, Khalik Allah, 2018
A Boy and His Dog, L. Q. Jones, 1975
A Clockwork Orange, Stanley Kubrick, 1971
Come Back, Little Sheba, Daniel Mann, 1952**
Conversation Piece, Luchino Visconti, 1974
Cookie, Susan Seidelman, 1989
The Court Jester, Melvin Frank and Norman Panama, 1956
Dark Star, John Carpenter, 1974
Death in the Garden, Luis Buñuel, 1956
Death Race 2000, Paul Bartel, 1975
Demon Seed, Donald Cammell, 1977
Desperately Seeking Susan, Susan Seidelman, 1985
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoise, Luis Buñuel, 1972
Elmer Gantry, Richard Brooks, 1960
Field Niggas, Khalik Allah, 2015
From Here to Eternity, Fred Zinnemann, 1953
God Told Me To, Larry Cohen, 1976
Good Intentions, Anna Mantzaris, 2018
Good-bye, My Lady, William A. Wellman, 1956
Hans Christian Andersen, Charles Vidor, 1952
Hardcore, Paul Schrader, 1979
Holy Smoke, Jane Campion, 1999
I Walk Alone, Byron Haskin, 1947
In the Cut, Jane Campion, 2003
The Kid from Brooklyn, Norman Z. McLeod, 1946
L'age d'or, Luis Buñuel, 1930
L'enfant, Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne, 2005
Le Corbeau, Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1943
Le quattro volte, Michelangelo Frammartino, 2010
Local Hero, Bill Forsyth, 1983
Logan's Run, Michael Anderson, 1976
Look at Me, Agnès Jaoui, 2004**
Mad Max, George Miller, 1979
The Milky Way, Luis Buñuel, 1969
No Blade of Grass, Cornel Wilde, 1970
The Omega Man, Boris Sagal, 1971
Panique, Julien Duvivier, 1946
Patty Hearst, Paul Schrader, 1988
The Phantom of Liberty, Luis Buñuel, 1974
The Piano, Jane Campion, 1993
The Portrait of a Lady, Jane Campion, 1996
The Professionals, Richard Brooks, 1966
The Rainmaker, Joseph Anthony, 1956
Resurrecting Adam, Paul Schrader, 2008
Rollerball, Norman Jewison, 1975
The Rose Tattoo, Daniel Mann, 1955**
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Norman Z. McLeod, 1947
Separate Tables, Delbert Mann, 1958
Seven Days in May, John Frankenheimer, 1964
She-Devil, Susan Seidelman, 1989
Shivers, David Cronenberg, 1975
A Song Is Born, Howard Hawks, 1948
Songs My Brothers Taught Me, Chloé Zhao, 2015
Sorry, Wrong Number, Anatole Litvak, 1948
Soylent Green, Richard Fleischer, 1973
Sweet Smell of Success, Alexander Mackendrick, 1957
The Swimmer, Frank Perry, 1968
The Taste of Others, Agnès Jaoui, 2000
Taxi Driver, Martin Scorsese, 1976
The Terminal Man, Mike Hodges, 1974
That Obscure Object of Desire, Luis Buñuel, 1977
The Train, John Frankenheimer, 1964
THX 1138, George Lucas, 1971
Tristana, Luis Buñuel, 1970
Two Friends, Jane Campion, 1986
The Ultimate Warrior, Robert Clouse, 1975
Until the End of the World, Wim Wenders, 1991
Up In Arms, Elliott Nugent, 1944
Urban Rashomon, Khalik Allah, 2013
Westworld, Michael Crichton, 1973
Wonder Man, H. Bruce Humberstone, 1945
Z.P.G., Michael Campus, 1972**

I remember really liking Seven Days In May when I saw it years ago. Rod Sterling did the screenplay! And Local Hero just came out a few weeks ago on disc!
I didn't realize I was the last post is I'll just out it here for the next page!

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
January releases

3 Faces, Jafar Panahi, 2018
Antonyms of Beauty, Khalik Allah, 2013
Atlantic City, Louis Malle, 1980
Auto Focus, Paul Schrader, 2002**
Baxter, Jérôme Boivin, 1989
Birdman of Alcatraz, John Frankenheimer, 1962
Black Mother, Khalik Allah, 2018
A Boy and His Dog, L. Q. Jones, 1975
A Clockwork Orange, Stanley Kubrick, 1971
Come Back, Little Sheba, Daniel Mann, 1952**
Conversation Piece, Luchino Visconti, 1974
Cookie, Susan Seidelman, 1989
The Court Jester, Melvin Frank and Norman Panama, 1956
Dark Star, John Carpenter, 1974
Death in the Garden, Luis Buñuel, 1956
Death Race 2000, Paul Bartel, 1975
Demon Seed, Donald Cammell, 1977
Desperately Seeking Susan, Susan Seidelman, 1985
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoise, Luis Buñuel, 1972
Elmer Gantry, Richard Brooks, 1960
Field Niggas, Khalik Allah, 2015
From Here to Eternity, Fred Zinnemann, 1953
God Told Me To, Larry Cohen, 1976
Good Intentions, Anna Mantzaris, 2018
Good-bye, My Lady, William A. Wellman, 1956
Hans Christian Andersen, Charles Vidor, 1952
Hardcore, Paul Schrader, 1979
Holy Smoke, Jane Campion, 1999
I Walk Alone, Byron Haskin, 1947
In the Cut, Jane Campion, 2003
The Kid from Brooklyn, Norman Z. McLeod, 1946
L'age d'or, Luis Buñuel, 1930
L'enfant, Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne, 2005
Le Corbeau, Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1943
Le quattro volte, Michelangelo Frammartino, 2010
Local Hero, Bill Forsyth, 1983
Logan's Run, Michael Anderson, 1976
Look at Me, Agnès Jaoui, 2004**
Mad Max, George Miller, 1979
The Milky Way, Luis Buñuel, 1969
No Blade of Grass, Cornel Wilde, 1970
The Omega Man, Boris Sagal, 1971
Panique, Julien Duvivier, 1946
Patty Hearst, Paul Schrader, 1988
The Phantom of Liberty, Luis Buñuel, 1974
The Piano, Jane Campion, 1993
The Portrait of a Lady, Jane Campion, 1996
The Professionals, Richard Brooks, 1966
The Rainmaker, Joseph Anthony, 1956
Resurrecting Adam, Paul Schrader, 2008
Rollerball, Norman Jewison, 1975
The Rose Tattoo, Daniel Mann, 1955**
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Norman Z. McLeod, 1947
Separate Tables, Delbert Mann, 1958
Seven Days in May, John Frankenheimer, 1964
She-Devil, Susan Seidelman, 1989
Shivers, David Cronenberg, 1975
A Song Is Born, Howard Hawks, 1948
Songs My Brothers Taught Me, Chloé Zhao, 2015
Sorry, Wrong Number, Anatole Litvak, 1948
Soylent Green, Richard Fleischer, 1973
Sweet Smell of Success, Alexander Mackendrick, 1957
The Swimmer, Frank Perry, 1968
The Taste of Others, Agnès Jaoui, 2000
Taxi Driver, Martin Scorsese, 1976
The Terminal Man, Mike Hodges, 1974
That Obscure Object of Desire, Luis Buñuel, 1977
The Train, John Frankenheimer, 1964
THX 1138, George Lucas, 1971
Tristana, Luis Buñuel, 1970
Two Friends, Jane Campion, 1986
The Ultimate Warrior, Robert Clouse, 1975
Until the End of the World, Wim Wenders, 1991
Up In Arms, Elliott Nugent, 1944
Urban Rashomon, Khalik Allah, 2013
Westworld, Michael Crichton, 1973
Wonder Man, H. Bruce Humberstone, 1945
Z.P.G., Michael Campus, 1972**

I remember really liking Seven Days In May when I saw it years ago. Rod Sterling did the screenplay! And Local Hero just came out a few weeks ago on disc!

I've heard lots of things about "The Piano", so now's my chance to watch that. Great to see some Buñuel love as well.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
YA'LL

January is looking good.

EDIT: I guess they don't like embedding, here's the link -- super interesting lineup of 18 '70s sci-fi movies coming to the Channel in January. A great mix of classics and interesting exploitation flicks.

Super annoying that this is only up for a month.

How am I supposed to watch 18 kinos in two weeks?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Watched THX 1138 but honestly didn't care for it that much. The visuals are cool though, but I think it was just too slow and disjointed for me. Anyone got recommendations from the sci-fi collection? I'll probably check out the Cronenberg one.
Also watched Symbiopsychotaxiplasm the other night. It's super weird but kinda amazing and I loved it. If you're not familiar it's a weird meta documentary where the director is shooting a film while another film crew is filming him, without anyone really knowing what's going on. Highly recommended, it's under 90 minutes.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
So far I've only caught Demon Seed, which has kind of an interesting premise (sentient AI takes over automated house) that is seemingly more relevant today with the introduction of consumer-grade smart homes. There's a surprising use of practical effects when the AI takes on a tangible form in the shape of a set of transforming pyramids, and fans of archaic computer graphics will enjoy some of the visual sequences in the movie. I am just now realizing that the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode with Pierce Brosnan as the killer robot house was a parody of this movie.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saw Shivers, low budget with some bad acting but it kind of worked. Can see the potential of the director. The usual exploitation stuff fits better because of the nature of the creatures.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is finally here. Now just release it on blu-ray.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Shivers, low budget with some bad acting but it kind of worked. Can see the potential of the director. The usual exploitation stuff fits better because of the nature of the creatures.
Shivers is a good one. If you haven't seen The Brood definitely check that out next. Cronenberg's best 70s film and the first film of his that feels mature.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of console apps is still ridiculous. I bought a firetv 4k stick for this after discovering that it didn't work with any of the (literally) 12 possible devices I already owned. and after reading that two of my devices WERE supported in their spec list (they later deleted the erroneous page).

I still can't fathom why they aren't even working on it.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Shivers is a good one. If you haven't seen The Brood definitely check that out next. Cronenberg's best 70s film and the first film of his that feels mature.

Already saw it. I think that's a much better movie than Shivers. I did enjoy parts of Shivers though and I like the premise it's like a predictor of the AIDS scare and a conservative nightmare rolled into one.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
The lack of console apps is still ridiculous. I bought a firetv 4k stick for this after discovering that it didn't work with any of the (literally) 12 possible devices I already owned. and after reading that two of my devices WERE supported in their spec list (they later deleted the erroneous page).

it really irritates me. casting to my TV only sometimes works and it always wants to buffer. I have a roku stick in the bedroom, but I would rather not transport it back and forth to the living room set. it's mounted to the wall and I have all my cables hidden inside the wall.

oh well, I guess it'll have to do for now.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Already saw it. I think that's a much better movie than Shivers. I did enjoy parts of Shivers though and I like the premise it's like a predictor of the AIDS scare and a conservative nightmare rolled into one.

Ah yeah, Cronenberg gets his commercial start making rough but incredibly evocative films, and then makes the transition to full on high quality weird arthouse director more successfully than anyone else coming to mind. Has a longer and more consistent career than almost any of his peers (Craven, Carpenter, etc)... he's more like David Lynch in that respect, and also in that no matter what kind of film he's making, it's usually obvious that it's his work.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is finally here. Now just release it on blu-ray.

There's a huge list of Criterion's I'm hoping for an upgrade on, and this is one for sure.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

Yeah, very annoying. I would totally subscribe to this if the app was on ps4/other things.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I got fed up waiting and bought a Roku stick for it. It runs great. I got the BB "exclusive" stick that includes the remote with a headphone jack.

Would have preferred a dedicated LG TV app or console apps though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not on most smart TVs, either.
(I'd laugh for days if it was only on Vita.)

It used to say "Smart TV" on the supported page (and Xbox actually) but when I pinged customer service (who were responsive) it seemed like they didn't think the lack of support was an issue, and even weirder, had zero plans to EVER support consoles - at least anecdotally based on the response I received. I can't even fathom why. Not only are these things quite easy to port*, there are containers and templates from the console companies that can save dev effort. One support dude mentioned something about IP security as if to say a console wasn't beefy enough to support their anti piracy stuff.

Like... >????

* nothing in development is easy, So I mean relatively speaking. Which is why there are console apps for even excruciatingly obscure or small streaming services.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I know that can make Shivers (and its follow up Rabid) tough for some—they seem very sex-negative, to say the least. Still makes for a captivating panicked delusion.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It used to say "Smart TV" on the supported page (and Xbox actually) but when I pinged customer service (who were responsive) it seemed like they didn't think the lack of support was an issue, and even weirder, had zero plans to EVER support consoles - at least anecdotally based on the response I received. I can't even fathom why. Not only are these things quite easy to port*, there are containers and templates from the console companies that can save dev effort. One support dude mentioned something about IP security as if to say a console wasn't beefy enough to support their anti piracy stuff.

Like... >????

* nothing in development is easy, So I mean relatively speaking. Which is why there are console apps for even excruciatingly obscure or small streaming services.

The lack of apps would be super frustrating, but it becomes infuriating when you consider that you can't use the built-in web browser either, but also the DRM that prevents streaming on many setups (my desktop setup for instance). I have multiple laptops, a desktop, several smart TVs and consoles in my home and absolutely none of them can actually stream Criterion

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Just subscribed for the first time and jumped into that paranoia/surveillance collection.

The Conversation and Blow Out make for a fun double feature. Blown away by Conversation, Blow Out was interesting but didn't live up to the hype for me. (First time seeing both)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of apps would be super frustrating, but it becomes infuriating when you consider that you can't use the built-in web browser either, but also the DRM that prevents streaming on many setups (my desktop setup for instance). I have multiple laptops, a desktop, several smart TVs and consoles in my home and absolutely none of them can actually stream Criterion

oh yeah i forgot about pc - when i first encountered thisat the back of my mind i was thinking if all else fails i can hook up my laptop.

i hope it suceeds but man if it fails this is strike one through three.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
oh yeah i forgot about pc - when i first encountered thisat the back of my mind i was thinking if all else fails i can hook up my laptop.

i hope it suceeds but man if it fails this is strike one through three.
i would definitely temper your expectations on that method

it gets super finicky about multiple monitors and hdmi cords and cites their drm

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just subscribed for the first time and jumped into that paranoia/surveillance collection.

The Conversation and Blow Out make for a fun double feature. Blown away by Conversation, Blow Out was interesting but didn't live up to the hype for me. (First time seeing both)

I feel the opposite, loved blow out was let down by conversation. The lives of others I haven't seen yet but blow up which blow out is inspired by is better than all of them probably. I don't think it's on the channel but it's s criterion disc movie so it will come at some point.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The drm is that restrictive? Ive streamed on multiple laptops

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The drm is that restrictive? Ive streamed on multiple laptops
It's very very fickle with Windows tablet/laptop combo things and flatout doesn't work on Chromebooks

I believe it's because the display needs to explicitly declare it's supporting HDCP (like let's say, a TV), and not every PC/laptop/tablet display does that. But honestly, there is no reason for Criterion to be more strict than others like Netflix, for example.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Desperately Seeking Susan with the wife the other day and man that is a movie that could only exist in that specific moment of time.

Wild how it's plotted like a screwball farce but then directed in such a relaxed, lightly humanistic way.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Westworld is legitimately pretty interesting. Better than the TV series at least.

Deciding where to go next with the '70s sci-fi series. Z.P.G. and God Told Me To are two under the radar ones I've heard good things about, while Death Race 2000 and Soylent Green are two well-known ones I've heard okay things about.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Westworld is legitimately pretty interesting. Better than the TV series at least.

Deciding where to go next with the '70s sci-fi series. Z.P.G. and God Told Me To are two under the radar ones I've heard good things about, while Death Race 2000 and Soylent Green are two well-known ones I've heard okay things about.
Death Race is a cult favorite but I saw it a few years ago and thought it was really terrible.

I'm actually planning to watch Soylent Green today. Want to get to Logan's Run and maybe Westworld at some point too.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Ultimate Warrior is the kind of cheese I enjoy from what I think of when I think 70s scifi, like Logan's Run, starcrash or zardoz. its not great and I'm not sure id recommend unless you knew what you were getting into, but at least it's exactly what you expect.

Demons seed was just kind of a bad 2001 with some Rosemary's baby thrown in.

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll set up Soylent Green, Ultimate Warrior, and Z.P.G. next then. Death Race doesn't sound worth it and I've only seen bad things about Demon Seed.

There's also The Terminal Man which was apparently a big favorite of both Kubrick and Terrence Malick, I'm keeping that in the back pocket.

I didn't love Logan's Run but it is kinda the platonic ideal of this series, in that it's speculative sci-fi that feels very '70s. The most '70s thing about it being that it establishes a future where nobody wears bras. It doesn't work out its idea too well but the lo-fi sets and sfx are mostly charming and neat.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I've only seen bad things about Demon Seed.

There's also The Terminal Man which was apparently a big favorite of both Kubrick and Terrence Malick, I'm keeping that in the back pocket.

I didn't love Logan's Run but it is kinda the platonic ideal of this series, in that it's speculative sci-fi that feels very '70s. The most '70s thing about it being that it establishes a future where nobody wears bras. It doesn't work out its idea too well but the lo-fi sets and sfx are mostly charming and neat.
im sure demons seed has its fans. as mentioned up the page some of the practical effects are pretty interesting at the very least

well i wasn't going to watch the terminal man but now I sure as hell am

charming is a good way to describe Logan's Run. Its goofy as hell and could only ever exist in that small time frame

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Soylent Green was quite good! A good example of a movie not just living solely off its plot twist. In fact knowing it ahead of time gives you a better appreciation of the film's world building and where it's heading. It feels like a logical outcome of the story, rather than just swerving for the sake of swerving.

Heston may have been too old for this role though.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I enjoyed The Terminal Man. I can see why Kubrick liked it, some parts felt like someone trying to copy his style. And one part in particular seems to have influenced a very famous part of The Shining (it could be unrelated or from the book I don't know that much about it) so much so it seems kind of crazy looking back on it.

I don't know why Malick liked it in particular, but he likes random stuff.

Be warned the first hour is pretty slow. I thought it was still interesting and the way they handled some initial information was pretty well done, but I wouldn't blame someone if they thought it was boring.

Last edited:

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Watched A Face in the Crowd last night and really enjoyed it. Andy Griffith's performance was electric and there is a 'on-the-rise' montage in the middle that was amazing

Oct 27, 2017
Watched A Face in the Crowd last night and really enjoyed it. Andy Griffith's performance was electric and there is a 'on-the-rise' montage in the middle that was amazing
Incredible movie. Griffith is magnetic, it's crazy that it was his debut. And yeah the montage is amazing, love the song and use of animation. Still relevant to this day, in fact perhaps more than ever.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get to this soon, I think it's expiring at the end of the month.

Yeah, that expiration was what got me off my ass to finally watch it. Definitely recommend it.

Incredible movie. Griffith is magnetic, it's crazy that it was his debut. And yeah the montage is amazing, love the song and use of animation. Still relevant to this day, in fact perhaps more than ever.

It's a movie that definitely screams for a reevaluation in a post-Trump landscape. Basic beats have been done in other flicks but the movie's tone and performances ensured its power hasn't been blunted

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
going from that to the andy griffith show is some crazy whiplash, or you can think he's still like that deep down playing the yokels for fools (maybe that's just my headcannon although I'm not sure what he's getting out of it)

i remember there being a whole spat of theses out about how this was the movie that explained Donald Trump and his rise. after watching it I thought it was just the republican party in general of the last 40 years. i think it explains Nixon, Reagan, and both bushes better than trump. Think of how it ends and how people would react. in today's world the followers wouldn't blink an eye, we're too far gone. we blew past this movie and barely anyone noticed

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Get Carter the other day and boy, what a nasty, heartless little movie. Appreciated it more than I liked it, but its enormous influence the modern British gangster movies is absolutely apparent.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
going from that to the andy griffith show is some crazy whiplash, or you can think he's still like that deep down playing the yokels for fools (maybe that's just my headcannon although I'm not sure what he's getting out of it)

i remember there being a whole spat of theses out about how this was the movie that explained Donald Trump and his rise. after watching it I thought it was just the republican party in general of the last 40 years. i think it explains Nixon, Reagan, and both bushes better than trump. Think of how it ends and how people would react. in today's world the followers wouldn't blink an eye, we're too far gone. we blew past this movie and barely anyone noticed

Yeah, as pessimistic as the movie is it still assumes people would care if someone outed themselves as a fraud. The ending sequence with the applause machine is 100% something I could see in the last days of this White House, though. (Subbing out the spoilered element for, like, hearts on tweets or whatever.)

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Yeah an insane performance by Griffith and a great predictor of American politics. That movie and Ace in the Hole together both very prophetic about where American society was headed.