• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on episode 27 of campaign 1 right now, I think this is the start of the Briarwood arc. I'm looking forward to it the way everyone has been talking about it.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the early Campaign 1 episodes? Critical Role reuploaded them on their channel (Youtube link).

Also I rewatched Consequences and Cows. Tiberius was in his own world most of the episode. Five of the cast members are all interacting together and then Tiberius would step in for five minutes to provide Matt with a list of things he was doing. When he interacted with the group he had funny bits, but that first half...

gimme ALL your mirrors that i will carry to whitestone and set up a massive sunbeam to blow the vampires up

what? what do you mean that won't work

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
gimme ALL your mirrors that i will carry to whitestone and set up a massive sunbeam to blow the vampires up

what? what do you mean that won't work
Nevermind that a massive sunbeam of that magnitude would catch the entire town on fire much less that you never discussed your plan with any of your part members! DMs should just play that clip for their session zero as a "do not do this."

I hit level three in my campaign just in time to look into the echo knight. It kinda looks like they get the good stuff early, weak stuff mid character, then back to an amazing bump at level 18. Shadow Martyr is nice but you can only use it once. Reclaim potential is nice, but at level 15 2d6 + Con mod temporary hit points if you don't have any temporary hit points already is super lame.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind that a massive sunbeam of that magnitude would catch the entire town on fire much less that you never discussed your plan with any of your part members! DMs should just play that clip for their session zero as a "do not do this."

I hit level three in my campaign just in time to look into the echo knight. It kinda looks like they get the good stuff early, weak stuff mid character, then back to an amazing bump at level 18. Shadow Martyr is nice but you can only use it once. Reclaim potential is nice, but at level 15 2d6 + Con mod temporary hit points if you don't have any temporary hit points already is super lame.

I mean you can't stack temp HP RAW anyway, you choose to replace any temp HP you get with new temp HP. I think it's just a weird wording of the feature and you should be able to just pick if that number is higher.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Oooh boy I've been on a Dimension 20 binge. Listened to most of the episodes of Adventurer's Academy (including the episodes with Matt and Marisha) and those were a lot of fun. Also just got done watching the first episode of Escape from Bloodkeep, which features Matt, Erika, Ify and Amy Vorpahl. I don't know why, but I remember bouncing off it when I tried to watch it when they put the first episode out on YT. Maybe I just had to get used to Brennan's DM style cause watching it now that shit is hilarious. The absolute mundane shit that goes on in the first episode set against that backdrop just cracked me up.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Oooh boy I've been on a Dimension 20 binge. Listened to most of the episodes of Adventurer's Academy (including the episodes with Matt and Marisha) and those were a lot of fun. Also just got done watching the first episode of Escape from Bloodkeep, which features Matt, Erika, Ify and Amy Vorpahl. I don't know why, but I remember bouncing off it when I tried to watch it when they put the first episode out on YT. Maybe I just had to get used to Brennan's DM style cause watching it now that shit is hilarious. The absolute mundane shit that goes on in the first episode set against that backdrop just cracked me up.

Glad you're enjoying Dimension 20. It's a really fun series, and their live show season has been wonderful. I think they are gradually putting all of the Bloodkeep season on their Youtube channel too.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
After starting listening to campaign 2 almost exactly a year ago I really picked a bad time to catch up to live huh.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017

I tried watching that escape from bloodkeep too, but tuned out with the lore drop at the beginning. I guess I should give it another try.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I mean you can't stack temp HP RAW anyway, you choose to replace any temp HP you get with new temp HP. I think it's just a weird wording of the feature and you should be able to just pick if that number is higher.
Ah, I did not know this. I'll have to go hunt for some precise verbiage if I want to win over my DM. Still haven't decided if I just want to go Battle Master.

Also, some serious FOMO here on the D20 talk. Is it as daunting to get into as Critical Role (in terms of hours)?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I've tried so hard to get into campaign one, as someone who started with and LOVES campaign 2. Tiberius is so so so annoying and knowing his player's history leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. I can't get into it.

Can just skip those eps. They are hard to watch especially towards the end when he gets really really bad with the constant talking over people and openly cheating. Think his last episode is ep 27. They get soooo much better once he's gone.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Can just skip those eps. They are hard to watch especially towards the end when he gets really really bad with the constant talking over people and openly cheating. Think his last episode is ep 27. They get soooo much better once he's gone.
Since I'm on episode 25, what open cheating is he doing? I'm noticing that the group is starting to kind of look at each other when he is doing things, but I'm just curious.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Since I'm on episode 25, what open cheating is he doing? I'm noticing that the group is starting to kind of look at each other when he is doing things, but I'm just curious.

He lies about how many sorcerer points he spends. Don't remember what episode it was, but it was one of the episodes with Will on it you can see him flip a dice over with him fingers when he had a bad roll to give himself a better outcome. There's plenty more stuff like that in the episodes leading up to his departure.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
He lies about how many sorcerer points he spends. Don't remember what episode it was, but it was one of the episodes with Will on it you can see him flip a dice over with him fingers when he had a bad roll to give himself a better outcome. There's plenty more stuff like that in the episodes leading up to his departure.
Ah, the Travis McElroy approach

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to play Bard after watching him.

It was not very fun at all to play, but that mostly had to do with the group dynamic and small party size I was playing with.
Bards really excel in groups where there's a decent amount of creativity and role playing. We've got one in the game I'm running and she's taken part in these big performance competitions that often take up a couple of hours because they're so much fun. They're basically skill challenges, but it gives me a chance to showcase some of the culture in the city and also write some stupid limericks that give the players a little bit of insight into some political dealings. The players really make it by trying to scheme their party member into first place, which always a blast. The bar that runs it has had to hire a wizard to keep an eye out for nefarious magic users, so naturally they've tried to find ways around that.

Good times, but definitely not what to expect from every group.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to play Bard after watching him.

It was not very fun at all to play, but that mostly had to do with the group dynamic and small party size I was playing with.

If you are trying to be the face with a group of murderhobos is going to be hard. Still, bards can be quite flexible and you could still be CC/utility/healer for the psychos, but you will be missing half of the fun. Personally I don't like campaigns with groups that are a murderball. A single sesion can be fun, but is not my cup of tea.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I did not know this. I'll have to go hunt for some precise verbiage if I want to win over my DM. Still haven't decided if I just want to go Battle Master.

Also, some serious FOMO here on the D20 talk. Is it as daunting to get into as Critical Role (in terms of hours)?

Nope! The entire premise of Dimension 20 is short series of episodes set in entirely new worlds and a new concept. They alternate between the main cast and 'side quests', which are smaller series with guest cast members. Fantasy High, Unsleeping City and soon Crown of Candy are the main series that are around 16+ episodes while Escape from the Bloodkeep and Tiny Heist (which I haven't gotten around to watching) are guest miniseries that are around 6 episodes. They've uploaded all of Fantasy High and maybe a little less than half of Unsleeping City to their Youtube along with the entirety of EftB by then time Crown of Candy rolls around.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried so hard to get into campaign one, as someone who started with and LOVES campaign 2. Tiberius is so so so annoying and knowing his player's history leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. I can't get into it.

Hes out in episode 27 so you can stick it out till he leaves or hell just skip it you have a good background knowledge on the Briawoods now.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Nope! The entire premise of Dimension 20 is short series of episodes set in entirely new worlds and a new concept. They alternate between the main cast and 'side quests', which are smaller series with guest cast members. Fantasy High, Unsleeping City and soon Crown of Candy are the main series that are around 16+ episodes while Escape from the Bloodkeep and Tiny Heist (which I haven't gotten around to watching) are guest miniseries that are around 6 episodes. They've uploaded all of Fantasy High and maybe a little less than half of Unsleeping City to their Youtube along with the entirety of EftB by then time Crown of Candy rolls around.
Nice, I'll definitely have to look into this. Thanks for the quick intro!

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news!

Critical Role really is becomming the new Geeks and Sundry, aren't they :P

It's pretty interesting. Geek and Sundry haven't released a new video since mid February. They're twitter is active, but it's just advertisements for various shows/movies/comics. I don't know if they were filming a bunch of stuff to be released later, or if all their talent just left for other channels like LA by Night. Whatever the situation is, it really does seem like G&S is on life support if not already dead.

Meanwhile the CR channel has expanded a lot over the last year or so. Even outside of the core show and Talks, they've made a lot of content covering a range of subjects and genres. They've also seemingly managed to have a friendly dynamic with some of their competitors/contemporaries like how Matt promoted the Dimension 20 stream during his fireside chat last week.

I don't know how CR will continue to grow, especially with this pandemic, but it is interesting how they've seemingly totally eclipsed Geek and Sundry since they started their own channel.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know how CR will continue to grow, especially with this pandemic, but it is interesting how they've seemingly totally eclipsed Geek and Sundry since they started their own channel.

One has to imagine that they are trying to figure out how to continue the main game online. I mean... the general talk is that the Self Isolation goes on for Months. They got to figure something out because if they don't, they could endup kneecapping their company just as its starting to pick up.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
One has to imagine that they are trying to figure out how to continue the main game online. I mean... the general talk is that the Self Isolation goes on for Months. They got to figure something out because if they don't, they could endup kneecapping their company just as its starting to pick up.

Maybe they'll do a series with the Darington Brigade? I could understand them not wanting to continue Campaign 2 until they are all back in the main studio. Not being together could hurt the big dramatic arcs that have been building up for a while. But I think a more comedy focused mini-series would work pretty well. I imagine they're probably working on something to fill the gap, especially because it doesn't look like this situation is going to end anytime soon.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
So... playing Persona 5 Royal atm, and in the middle of a battle, which choosing which move to use for what would be the finishing blow on an enemy, Yusuke (played by Matthew Mercer) just said, "So, how do you want to do this?"

I'm done. These guys are great.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
So... playing Persona 5 Royal atm, and in the middle of a battle, which choosing which move to use for what would be the finishing blow on an enemy, Yusuke (played by Matthew Mercer) just said, "So, how do you want to do this?"

That's cute. I had no idea Matt was in that game.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell that Dimension 20 episode was incredible. The episode had a lot amazing moments. Weirdly enough my favorite moment was really small. I don't know why but:
Fig calling Gilear dad
was just the absolute sweetest thing ever. I can't wait to see what happens in the second part tomorrow.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell that Dimension 20 episode was incredible. The episode had a lot amazing moments. Weirdly enough my favorite moment was really small. I don't know why but:
Fig calling Gilear dad
was just the absolute sweetest thing ever. I can't wait to see what happens in the second part tomorrow.

GODLEAR

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

oh snap I totally forgot Royal came out. Have to get that.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im gonna try to watch dimension 20 again

they had a fight at the school early on and it was painful x__x so i stopped watching

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished episode 28 in c1. The entire episode just felt different without Tiberius there, it was strange.

This Whitestone arc is some dark heavy stuff yo.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
That sequence was amazing. The entire episode was just a series of great character moments. I can't wait for tomorrow. Hopefully we get some great moments with the rest of the NPCs. Especially:
Ayda and Ragh.

I don't feel Ragh as strongly as other NPCs - he's cool but kind of just a side bit character compared to Tracker or Ayda. I wanna see Sandra Lynn, she's been acting strange the entire season with the whole Garty stuff and the ability to see Kalina. I wonder if theres a bigger twist to be revealed.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel Ragh as strongly as other NPCs - he's cool but kind of just a side bit character compared to Tracker or Ayda. I wanna see Sandra Lynn, she's been acting strange the entire season with the whole Garty stuff and the ability to see Kalina. I wonder if theres a bigger twist to be revealed.

Sandra Lynn has been a really interesting character this season. I think Fig finding and restoring her might have the potential to be one of the most emotional moments. She has a lot of very human and interesting flaws, and I'm really curious to see what the Nightmare Forrest is doing to her. There is a lot of great dramatic potential for her, and I can't wait to see what they do.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Just finished episode 28 in c1. The entire episode just felt different without Tiberius there, it was strange.

This Whitestone arc is some dark heavy stuff yo.
I think it took an episode or two for it to sink in for everybody. They dropped him at the perfect time though. The whitestone arc would have been significantly worse if he was still there.

Also...

EDIT: Oh God it's Friday I don't even know my calendar days anymore

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think it took an episode or two for it to sink in for everybody. They dropped him at the perfect time though. The whitestone arc would have been significantly worse if he was still there.

Also...

EDIT: Oh God it's Friday I don't even know my calendar days anymore

Lol, it's okay. It's easy for the days to bleed together with everything that's going on. I'm going to watch the Kraken episode this weekend sometime, I remember it kind of being a bit of a delightful mess when I watched it originally.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me with that Dimension 20 Cliffhanger? The wait for Junior year is going to be painful.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll spoil it just in case, regarding the Kraken episode:

I watched it not too long ago, Grog leaving Tary to die had me going oh shit. Especially since he had one of the lode stones

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
It was looooong and people were clearly in a shitty mood with how frustrating the fight was, Matt definitely learned alot of things that day.

tbf the players drastically underprepared. Freedom of Movement would have made that fight a fucking breeze and I think Keyleth, Vex and Tary all had access to it from their spell list, with Keyleth being able to cast up to 3+ of it. I guess he could've adjusted on the fly but if the players just say fuck it and pop a heroes' feast and that's it, well not every encounter is gonna be super fun times

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I have to imagine they're figuring something out. These people can't take two days off without getting restless. Just gotta wait for official communications.