• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
So we could have had a real fight this week instead of them poking cocoons and getting some filler fight...

Yeah, but now the clerics are down a bunch of spellslots. So this fight might actually be harder then it could have been.

Well, there they are...

Would Matt actually smash one or more of the clays with the bull monster though?

Interesting thought, could mending work if they're solid stone? Or do they then qualify as dead and need to be resurrected?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing Nott has exactly one vial of petrification curing potion and the clerics are both unable to do greater restoration because of the silly bug fight. Next week should be dramatic.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Also, I wonder if Jester is gonna connect the dots that the Traveler's been using her to gain power. Yes, he's given her cleric abilities, but he arguably has more to gain.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So the traveler is basically being a warlock patron for 200 people simultaneously right now, and is trying to downsize that to just one in jester at traveler con, but also getting the free worship of the others to increase his powers, right?

Do we think there's more tricksiness to his plan?

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Hasn't he told her that already?
Pretty much. I guess I'm thinking more about what she does with that info. Is she gonna accept it? Deny it? Twist it (he actually cares about me)? The group seemed to have one foot in on the whole ascend the traveler to godhood, but I think there's plenty of room for them to sow doubt before Travelercon.

So the traveler is basically being a warlock patron for 200 people simultaneously right now, and is trying to downsize that to just one in jester at traveler con, but also getting the free worship of the others to increase his powers, right?

I could see him finding satisfaction in tricking Jester and leaving after he gets bored of it in 20 years. Dude's got a messed up side.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

Is he giving these people power or just answering their cries for help?
Seems he has no clue what he wants other than to have people stop begging him for help and to have fun. I took his talk as "if you can get people to stop expecting that grade A help and 2 way connection with me that I've been giving them til now and STILL worship me that would be great! But if you think we can just kill them all in a blaze then that's cool to. W/e gets people to leave me alone".

SEEMED like Matt was trying to have him say that he doesn't know what to bother helping people with or what to tell people to expect from him cause his "trademark" is just so undefined.

(I find the reveal that one can gain godlyhood from the devotion of others to be a massive nugget of interesting lore in this world. How many "cults" could turn their idol into a full blown god given enough time and believers? )

As for tricks ... up until the reveal I had assumed the trick on Jester would be that she wasn't his favorite or held above the others, that she would go to the con and he'd pull a Carrie on her. I'm completely sure that's not the case now and that if he does have something up his sleeve it would be to show up there and convince the other followers to pray or send to Jester so that he doesn't have to deal with it or to say he's bored and to have a battle royale to see who deserves his favor.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Erm. No.

Fjord would have 3 Eldritch blasts if he was 11th level of Warlock, but he isn't since he took 2 levels of Paladin.
No, pretty sure cantrips like Eldritch Blast scale with character level. Not class level. That said, you can choose to just use one beam of EB rather than all three; it's totally possible Travis just assumed the one would be enough... or he just forgot.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
No, pretty sure cantrips like Eldritch Blast scale with character level. Not class level. That said, you can choose to just use one beam of EB rather than all three; it's totally possible Travis just assumed the one would be enough... or he just forgot.

Well i guess it depends ultimately on the DMs judgement but Eldritch blast being a unique cantrip for Warlocks, i don't think it should grow outside of the class.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Well i guess it depends ultimately on the DMs judgement but Eldritch blast being a unique cantrip for Warlocks, i don't think it should grow outside of the class.
But why? Almost all the damage cantrips are unique to a class, aside from Toll the Dead. Makes no sense to exclude a Warlock cantrip from the rule, especially since Eldritch Blast doesn't really excel without taking the invocation agonizing blast + having your primary attribute score be charisma. So mostly limited to Charisma classes (bard, sorceror) and you must sacrifice two levels to warlock.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, Greater Restoration has a pretty big material cost right? So even if they could spend a few days restoring all of Cad's family, they wouldn't have the components to do it more then a few times. So Cad is going to have to choose which members of his family he wants to save and leave the others behind for a while right? If so, that's kind of tragic, poor cow cleric is going to have a rough couple of episodes.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, Greater Restoration has a pretty big material cost right? So even if they could spend a few days restoring all of Cad's family, they wouldn't have the components to do it more then a few times. So Cad is going to have to choose which members of his family he wants to save and leave the others behind for a while right? If so, that's kind of tragic, poor cow cleric is going to have a rough couple of episodes.
Nah, he can just grind the 500 GP diamond they currently have into dust and restore 5 people. But since they wasted so many spells already on an easily avoidable and pointless fight, it will be awhile... I think both clerics have a single 6 level slot and single 5th level still around for the fight to come. So each cleric can restore 3 people a day at 100 gp diamond dust cost.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he can just grind the 500 GP diamond they currently have into dust and restore 5 people. But since they wasted so many spells already on an easily avoidable and pointless fight, it will be awhile... I think both clerics have a single 6 level slot and single 5th level still around for the fight to come. So each cleric can restore 3 people a day at 100 gp diamond dust cost.

That's a really cool idea. I never realized they could just grind the diamonds they have on them. That really solves the major problem, so it will just be a matter of staying on the island for a few days. So the big question is going to be what has happened to the Stones.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Not sure why Nott is holding off on turning back into a halfling. Like, you have to meditate about it? Why?

Feel like Sam is framing this in a "it's a choice to either stay with the group or leave" thing because if she turns into a halfling there's no excise to not just go live with her family and to not go do that would make her halfling self a truly selfish person without the goblin influence ... but the fact of the matter is that they have the cure now so putting off the decision to change is no different than becoming a halfling again and just staying with the party until you feel like leaving.

Not a fan of how Sam's been playing Nott. But it's his lil evil baby so as long as he's having fun *shrug

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why Nott is holding off on turning back into a halfling. Like, you have to meditate about it? Why?

Feel like Sam is framing this in a "it's a choice to either stay with the group or leave" thing because if she turns into a halfling there's no excise to not just go live with her family and to not go do that would make her halfling self a truly selfish person without the goblin influence ... but the fact of the matter is that they have the cure now so putting off the decision to change is no different than becoming a halfling again and just staying with the party until you feel like leaving.

Not a fan of how Sam's been playing Nott. But it's his lil evil baby so as long as he's having fun *shrug
Well of course they will leave it up to Sam/Nott on whether to leave the party or not. But you would think they would give her a reason to stay such as helping everyone else in the party with their goals. It's a crap thing to get your main goal completed and then immediately leave because you got what you wanted. Right now, the only real long term goal is Caleb wanting to take down the CA/Trent and alter time. But Uk'atoah and the Hag are still out there and will one day have to be dealt with as unfinished business, who knows how many more steps it will take to cure Cad's home, and who knows where the Traveler thing is going. At the very least, she should hang around to help Caleb defeat Trent, an actual achievable goal unlike altering the past. But I think they will need to be level 13-15ish range to have a chance against a group of high level mages with guards.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, let's not only focus on Cads family, there's like dozens of others there who could potentially be saved... Who knows how many decades some of them have stood there.

Imagine M9 getting the 5 Firbolgs back and then just peacing out.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cad is one of the youngest of his family right? Would be interesting if they free them all and he's suddenly the oldest of his siblings, just because of how long the others have been petrified.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I mean, let's not only focus on Cads family, there's like dozens of others there who could potentially be saved... Who knows how many decades some of them have stood there.

Imagine M9 getting the 5 Firbolgs back and then just peacing out.
They should turn TravelerCon into a fundraiser so they can go buy a bunch of diamond dust to save all these people. Would go along with the whole "Follow Jester's lead" thing they were thinking up.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I can kind of understand why Nott's hesitating. Her sense of identity has been really messed up by this experience, and while she hates being a goblin, I think she kind of likes her time as an adventurer. Before she was transformed Veth was apparently very timid, her most daring action was saving her family before she was transformed. As Nott she's done things Veth probably never dreamed of, and that could maker her question if that skill and boldness come from her, or the goblin psyche taking over.

So I think taking some time to try and recenter yourself kind of makes sense. She needs to try and figure out who she wants to be going forward, and what she wants for the future. I also don't know if it will be so simple to just go back to being a wife and mother again. Nott's husband can't really go back to the Empire right now, he experimented on the beacons, the Assembly might indenture him again if he returns. He also doesn't seem to have any income in the Coast, he's basically just living with Jester's mom right? So the family is kind of dependent on the money Nott/Veth makes as an adventurer.

I could kind of see a situation where Nott turns back into Veth, but pushes the group to go back to more mercenary work after the peace summit. They will have a big enough reputation to be given profitable jobs, and then get paid and go home until the next one comes their way. Adventuring could be Veth's way to providing for her family.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I also wouldn't be very surprised if Cad accepts what happened to his family as the wildmother's will, and leaves them there as part of the menagerie. Then it's just him and Clarabelle reuniting at some point in the future (and I get the feeling she might have lapsed in her faith).

I need to go back and listen to the mantra cad has said about the menagerie.

It makes sense to me. She wants to continue to live in the zone of potential and not commit to anything. Once she changes back, then it's actually real. Then she'll have to face her feelings of shame for wanting to be an adventurer more than wanting to go live a quiet with her family head on. There's also the alcoholic aspect of this, where she is addicted to that and the alcoholism and goblinness are intertwined in her mind. She's clinging onto excuses to delay the inevitable.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Can't wait for next week Gorgons are a brutal fight Petrifying Breath is nasty. I wonder if they'd ever do a full party wipe and end campaign or would Matt do something like have them be found in the future and unpetrified with a massive time skip.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
or would Matt do something like have them be found in the future and unpetrified with a massive time skip.
That would be kind of awesome. Trying to piece together what went wrong at the dynasty/empire meeting and travelercon years after the fact when clarabelle or whoever finds them.

I doubt matt will take that big of a swing though.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I also wouldn't be very surprised if Cad accepts what happened to his family as the wildmother's will, and leaves them there as part of the menagerie. Then it's just him and Clarabelle reuniting at some point in the future (and I get the feeling she might have lapsed in her faith).

That's a cool idea, but I think Cad might choose his family, especially if the M9 try to encourage him. Cad had that moment where he used commune to ask about his family, and viewed it as a moment of weakness. I think if anything seeing them petrified will actually make him mad that the Wildmother either didn't protect them or didn't tell him that they needed to be saved. I also think Fjord and the rest of the M9 will encourage him to restore his family. Fjord especially because of his issues with being an orphan.

Happy Valentine's everyone! 🥰🥰🥰

Happy Valentines. Thanks for posting this, Pike and Grog were the absolute best in C1.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool idea, but I think Cad might choose his family, especially if the M9 try to encourage him. Cad had that moment where he used commune to ask about his family, and viewed it as a moment of weakness. I think if anything seeing them petrified will actually make him mad that the Wildmother either didn't protect them or didn't tell him that they needed to be saved. I also think Fjord and the rest of the M9 will encourage him to restore his family. Fjord especially because of his issues with being an orphan.
I could see it going either way with Cad. And we've never seen him with his family, so who knows how that will affect his decision making.

I doubt he would be mad at the WM since his visions led him to where they are and he wouldn't have been able to get there alone, so he had to wait for the M9. He also never asked about or checked in on them.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it going either way with Cad. And we've never seen him with his family, so who knows how that will affect his decision making.

I doubt he would be mad at the WM since his visions led him to where they are and he wouldn't have been able to get there alone, so he had to wait for the M9. He also never asked about or checked in on them.

That's true, the closest he ever got to checking on them was asking if they were at the oasis as part of a commune spell. Cad sees destiny in everything, so maybe he would be willing to view his family's situation as something that was meant to happen. Part of me wants the to be restored just to see how they differ from Cad. I know the whole family is devout, but I have been wondering if Cad is a zealot even by has family's standards.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also have to see that reverting to Veth means, at least in her mind, letting go of Caleb and her independence.

I agree that in the family's situation, Veth is in the position to be main driver in that dynamic. That isn't to say she'll continue to be with the Mighty Nein after, but the potential is there that after reconnecting with Luke she may continue to be with the Nein to support her family until whatever crisis is put to bed or Caleb meets his goal, and they settle in.

its Extremely unlikely we see 7 people fail 2 saves in a row.
Especially with 2 Clerics able to bless the party and a Wizard with time/fate magic.

So on the rewatch, I just finished up 45 with their first dive into the Heirloom Sphere. There may have been some moments prior by being taken surprised by Jester's behavior, but I think their scramble to escape was the moment where Liam made the decision that Caleb had fallen for Jester. Just interesting to see how things developed by knowing what we know, or have more information on, now.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when he tried to ride her like a mammoth, butt-stomped her, and felt her up as a giant ape last episode should have been a clue

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I think Caleb is supposed to be asexual. He could still have some romantic feelings for Astrid or Jester but never act on them because he doesn't have a physical attraction to them.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Happy Valentines. Thanks for posting this, Pike and Grog were the absolute best in C1.

It's from a really wonderful cross channel project that dropped today:

www.youtube.com

Critter Valentine's Project

The Critter Valentine's Project is a collaboration by the Critter Youtube Community, made by fans from all around the world. We wanted to show our love and a...

The Marisha/Liam vid showing it's not all punches was really cute.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I think Caleb is supposed to be asexual. He could still have some romantic feelings for Astrid or Jester but never act on them because he doesn't have a physical attraction to them.
Has Liam ever alluded to this? Not that I don't believe you, but I just don't remember hearing him talk about it. I can't recall off the top of my head what Caleb has done to give that impression.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think liam has been purposefully vague about caleb's sexuality in a way that makes it easy to project upon him. And the fandom has taken him up on that wholeheartedly.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode. Could have done without the bug fight, but we got JesterMammoth back, so it's okay.

Caleb was (still is?) in love with Astrid. Caleb also hasn't really rebuffed the group when they joke about him and Essek. If anyone in the group is asexual, I'd bet it's Cad.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't seem to make clips on twitch right now, but this part was so hilarious

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's from a really wonderful cross channel project that dropped today:

www.youtube.com

Critter Valentine's Project

The Critter Valentine's Project is a collaboration by the Critter Youtube Community, made by fans from all around the world. We wanted to show our love and a...

The Marisha/Liam vid showing it's not all punches was really cute.

That's really cool, thanks for sharing it.

When is monster heart

I think it is on at 7pm PST tonight.