• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Those notes are pretty interesting! I definitely have tried to incorporate more pre-written descriptions but I didn't realize his were that detailed. I suppose the linearity of the tunnel allowed him to prep more fully for these set pieces. I really need to read more...

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Relics and it seems pretty fun, though the million camera cuts are a little jarring. Deborah is a really good storyteller.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Matt also just posted a different set of notes from an episode from ages ago (S2 E17) thats a much more enlightening look at how he details the many differant paths the party could take.

It includes a couple very interesting tidbits about how a few key interactions might have gone very differently

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
That Gentlemen stuff is fascinating. I love all the written dialogue in response to potential paths/situations, has a videogamey feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Been keeping up with Pub Draw.

xdgRRwZ_d.jpg

I'm getting better.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Matt also just posted a different set of notes from an episode from ages ago (S2 E17) thats a much more enlightening look at how he details the many differant paths the party could take.

It includes a couple very interesting tidbits about how a few key interactions might have gone very differently

It's crazy how much he prepares and commits to paper. I tend to run a much more off-the-cuff style, where I understand the general state of the world and the things the major NPCs are intending, and then I just roll with whatever the players decide to do. I'll print out a handful of monsters I think the party may end up encountering (or more if they're headed somewhere that I know there will be a lot of combat) while keeping a general list of important NPCs at the ready in case they're needed.

My session notes are basically a short list of words and names, with a big outline of key campaign points on a page that I basically never have to reference because I just know it.

Not to say he's wrong, or that I am, but it's always cool to see how other DMs prepare. If I was to try doing things his way, I'd stop DMing due to burnout after 3 or 4 sessions.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's crazy how much he prepares and commits to paper. I tend to run a much more off-the-cuff style, where I understand the general state of the world and the things the major NPCs are intending, and then I just roll with whatever the players decide to do. I'll print out a handful of monsters I think the party may end up encountering (or more if they're headed somewhere that I know there will be a lot of combat) while keeping a general list of important NPCs at the ready in case they're needed.

My session notes are basically a short list of words and names, with a big outline of key campaign points on a page that I basically never have to reference because I just know it.

Not to say he's wrong, or that I am, but it's always cool to see how other DMs prepare. If I was to try doing things his way, I'd stop DMing due to burnout after 3 or 4 sessions.
If I'm remembering correctly, he posted the way he used to do things in C1 a while back and it was structured pretty differently and much more casually. Just an excel spreadsheet that's not unlike what you do. Matt's mentioned that things have ramped up a lot for him in C2 because now he's dealing with swarms of fans that will hang onto every little word, so he has to be more careful with these things. Hence how much he writes down. It's nuts.

I can't imagine having to do that. I write down some descriptions of new places so I can read'em off without stumbling over my words, but otherwise it's just the plot points I want to have my group hit. There are times when we don't get through everything, so my notes from one week can carry over to the next. I also put down NPC names and quirks/personality traits. Especially the ones I have to make up on the spot because they're asking about something I didn't think about, lol. Though it's not unusual for me to end up with 2 pages of pre-game notes.

Been keeping up with Pub Draw.

xdgRRwZ_d.jpg

I'm getting better.
Hell yeah! I need to check out Pub Draw.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

That one alternate route would've been wild, if it turns out that The Gentleman is indeed Jester's father.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm remembering correctly, he posted the way he used to do things in C1 a while back and it was structured pretty differently and much more casually. Just an excel spreadsheet that's not unlike what you do. Matt's mentioned that things have ramped up a lot for him in C2 because now he's dealing with swarms of fans that will hang onto every little word, so he has to be more careful with these things. Hence how much he writes down. It's nuts.

I can't imagine having to do that. I write down some descriptions of new places so I can read'em off without stumbling over my words, but otherwise it's just the plot points I want to have my group hit. There are times when we don't get through everything, so my notes from one week can carry over to the next. I also put down NPC names and quirks/personality traits. Especially the ones I have to make up on the spot because they're asking about something I didn't think about, lol. Though it's not unusual for me to end up with 2 pages of pre-game notes.

Hell yeah! I need to check out Pub Draw.

I can't even imagine having my campaigns being watched by so many people. It would probably have an effect on my preparation too. About two-thirds of the time I have no idea what my players are going to do heading into a session, so detailed preparation is a waste of time. Full marks to Matt Mercer to getting this thing together in such a high profile environment.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice work! Looks kind of like Maisie Williams as Beau.

Something helpful for ears is to remember that generally the top of the ear should be lined up with the eyebrow, and the bottom of the ear with the bottom of the nose.

Yeah, I'm still working on proportions and things like that, that's a good tip. Also, hair is very confusing. I feel like I'm starting to vaguely understand short hair, but I've yet to make long hair look anything at all like hair.

That's great! It's so cool to see that show inspiring people to draw, keep up the good work!

Thanks, it's been fun! I've only been drawing for a month or so it's fun to see the progress.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA

Ooof. Oh boy at the Cree stuff in there hinting at Molly stuff that never came to pass.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll get the full Molly story at the end or if that's just locked away forever.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm still working on proportions and things like that, that's a good tip. Also, hair is very confusing. I feel like I'm starting to vaguely understand short hair, but I've yet to make long hair look anything at all like hair.
Hair is tricky for sure. It's best to think of it in big foldable chunks almost like fabric or ribbon rather than individual strands. Big shapes.

Let me know if you want a quick draw over or if you need help with anything. Learning to draw is a long road, but very rewarding.
I wonder if we'll get the full Molly story at the end or if that's just locked away forever.
I think we'll get some more information when/if the cultists following that purple phoenix come into play. It's the third in a trio of demigods with Uk'atoa and the Crawling King worm that the Drow seem to be serving/using.

Maybe I'm off base, but Molly's secret cultist background, resurrection, and being purple (the mural was described as purple with gray and specks of deep red) all line up with a purple phoenix demigod too well to be a coincidence. I think Molly was essentially in the same position as Fjord is in but for a different demigod. We'll have to see what happens if they talks with Cree the blood priest whenever they meet up with The Gentleman again, or if Molly came back again as an NPC with amnesia and a different personality (this would be awesome) as these cult threads come to a head later on with Fjord's story or the Drow.

Since Molly's gone, Matt might even save that whole storyline for something the party can encounter and stop in the third campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
Hair is tricky for sure. It's best to think of it in big foldable chunks almost like fabric or ribbon rather than individual strands. Big shapes.

Let me know if you want a quick draw over or if you need help with anything. Learning to draw is a long road, but very rewarding.

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that at some point. My only real (non-youtube based) instruction was a semester long art class in middle school, and I'm just starting to realize how bad my teacher was. There was no real instruction at all, she just basically told us to draw something and then mark it as complete.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that at some point. My only real (non-youtube based) instruction was a semester long art class in middle school, and I'm just starting to realize how bad my teacher was. There was no real instruction at all, she just basically told us to draw something and then mark it as complete.
There are a lot of bad art teachers at every level. I had instructors in college who basically did the same thing.

Getting good at art is ultimately about your own desire to self study, though, so youtube is very useful if you've got the initiative to practice on your own (and much cheaper).

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If Taliesin just straight up plays Molly again in campaign 3 I will be so very proud.

"Once more, with feeling!"

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm off base, but Molly's secret cultist background, resurrection, and being purple (the mural was described as purple with gray and specks of deep red) all line up with a purple phoenix demigod too well to be a coincidence. I think Molly was essentially in the same position as Fjord is in but for a different demigod. We'll have to see what happens if they talks with Cree the blood priest whenever they meet up with The Gentleman again, or if Molly came back again as an NPC with amnesia and a different personality (this would be awesome) as these cult threads come to a head later on with Fjord's story or the Drow.

It would've been very interesting mid-to-late campaign if Molly had survived and Molly and Fjord ended up going at each other. For all we know Molly could've turned on him during Fjord's arc.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It would've been very interesting mid-to-late campaign if Molly had survived and Molly and Fjord ended up going at each other. For all we know Molly could've turned on him during Fjord's arc.
Yeah, it's still unclear if those three demigods are working together or on good terms, they are neutral and were just created at the same time, or if they actively oppose each other.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Grog thing already held and they just aren't releasing the recording of it for some reason (issues with Geek & Sundry? Does CR want it on their own channels while G&S wants it on theirs?).

I'm behind on my CR news because I've been behind on watching the episodes, so I've mostly stayed away from this thread.

Also, Nott's backstory is wtf o_O

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Was the Grog thing already held and they just aren't releasing the recording of it for some reason (issues with Geek & Sundry? Does CR want it on their own channels while G&S wants it on theirs?).

I'm behind on my CR news because I've been behind on watching the episodes, so I've mostly stayed away from this thread.

Also, Nott's backstory is wtf o_O
Yeah, everyone basically thinks it's Geek & Sundry trying desperately to hold onto the one thing on their network people care about.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been bothered by the fact that they just never seemed to care that there may be up to six other people out there trying to free the phoenix and the worm leviathan's we saw in the temple's mural. Am I the only one that finds that alarming?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been bothered by the fact that they just never seemed to care that there may be up to six other people out there trying to free the phoenix and the worm leviathan's we saw in the temple's mural. Am I the only one that finds that alarming?
They barely seem to care about the person in their own group that they're actively helping to release Uk'atoa. Of course they don't care about the other two. And of course it's alarming, haha

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
We get a new episode tonight right? I wonder if we'll get a new State of Critical Role Land or announcement of something soon.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yes there will be a new episode today.. If something big was happening they probably would've announced it before the day of right?

Hrm.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
We get a new episode tonight right? I wonder if we'll get a new State of Critical Role Land or announcement of something soon.
Yes, it feels like it's been weeks.

I hope we get some updates, because the silence has been a little weird. We might have to settle for a meaningful look into the camera by Matt at the end of the announcements segment, though.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys feel like there's going to be a State of CR soon? They did one in December and announced Mame Drop, Pub Draw and Between the Sheets S2. It's not necessarily content I like but nevertheless it's still 3 shows a week. I don't think we're due for one until mid March or April.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Why do you guys feel like there's going to be a State of CR soon? They did one in December and announced Mame Drop, Pub Draw and Between the Sheets S2. It's not necessarily content I like but nevertheless it's still 3 shows a week. I don't think we're due for one until mid March or April.

The rumor mill lately is saying the break was due to G&S and CR officially splitting up during that time, and now they'll be flying solo. I don't think its more than circumstantial evidence and I feel like we would've heard confirmation by now if it was true for tonight.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about the non-release the Grog liveshow that came without warning or explanation followed by an unannounced, unexplained week off a couple weeks later has people wondering if something is going on behind the scenes. They've been semi split up from G&S for a while now, so it makes sense that they would fully split eventually and that things might be a little messy.

Usually when people adopt a "we can't talk about it" tone, it's because of legal reasons, or they are working on an unannounced project.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I guess I didn't think much of it. The Search for Grog stuff was weird, especially with how long it took them to put a statement out. I don't know if there's a cause for worry though, since they are all pretty squared away in their new studio and have been pumping out content for a good half year now. It was also C2's anniversary last month so maybe their deal with G&S finished up then?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how messy the legal situation is. I don't think they would've invested so much of their new setup in the CR name if it wasn't securely in their hands.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I guess I didn't think much of it. The Search for Grog stuff was weird, especially with how long it took them to put a statement out. I don't know if there's a cause for worry though, since they are all pretty squared away in their new studio and have been pumping out content for a good half year now. It was also C2's anniversary last month so maybe their deal with G&S finished up then?
I'm not worried, I just think there's probably some petty/litigious stuff going on from G&S (more likely their parent company) as their main draw keeps pulling further away from them.

CR is fine. They all own their own show, and they are the talent. I think there's just probably some fine print in streaming rights that's getting more and more weird as time goes on and they become more independent. The CR twitch channel has to host the G&S twitch stream, yet they do their giveaways via the CR stream chat, for instance.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Travis announces he's returning to Catherine as Jonny as well :D
I didn't even realize Laura was Catherine.

It's funny, I never really followed voice actors before, but after CR I can hear them all from a mile away in games. Watching the ending to KH3 recently it was like, "Oh hi, Matt and Travis."

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Anyone else do the mini Kickstarter here? Production problems and minis delayed to at least summer :(

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, I never really followed voice actors before, but after CR I can hear them all from a mile away in games. Watching the ending to KH3 recently it was like, "Oh hi, Matt and Travis."

I never really had a good ear for voice actors, especially in video games, but I was playing 999 on my PS4 and immediately noticed Taliesin's voice, he did a really good job with the character.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll have some kind of halfling and goblin reunion tonight for Valentine's. Probably way too early unless Matt really fast tracks the rest of their tunnel journey.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, are the M9 likely to make it out of the tunnel tonight? I'm kind of unclear on how far they have to travel. Maybe Matt will fast travel them a bit, but it felt like they had a long way to go before they made it to Nott's husband.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, are the M9 likely to make it out of the tunnel tonight? I'm kind of unclear on how far they have to travel. Maybe Matt will fast travel them a bit, but it felt like they had a long way to go before they made it to Nott's husband.
Going off of Talks, I don't think Matt wants to keep them there for too long. He seemed to want to take the campaign in a different direction from being underground for several episodes like the First Campaign

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i dont see much chance of them being in the tunnel for another entire episode whatever the full distance they have to travel is,
One episode of it was fun but i think traveling down one path with little more that weird random encounters to spice things up will get boring real quick, and matt would probably rather fast track them through it.