• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently subscribed to G&S via VRV. It looks like I won't be able to view CR or Talks anymore, then?
Can you cahnge over your subscription to the Critical role twitch channel?

Even if not, both the main show and Talks will be uploaded to their youtube channel in the future. CR the following Monday, and Talks two days after they're streamed

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you cahnge over your subscription to the Critical role twitch channel?

Even if not, both the main show and Talks will be uploaded to their youtube channel in the future. CR the following Monday, and Talks two days after they're streamed

The announcement is confusing. Apparently, subscribers of G&S (or anybody, maybe?) will still be able to watch live going forwards on the G&S twitch.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Matt also just posted a different set of notes from an episode from ages ago (S2 E17) thats a much more enlightening look at how he details the many differant paths the party could take.

It includes a couple very interesting tidbits about how a few key interactions might have gone very differently

LoL ... holy shit. This makes me feel inadequate as a DM :-D :-D :-D

I gotta write more notes!

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Really glad to hear they're splitting from G&S. The only reason I subscribed to them was for CR any way so this is great news.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like my current Alpha subscription will carry me through the rest of Relics and Rarities. Perfect timing.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Can't imagine that's going to be good for G&S.
They will be 100% fine. They've got a lot of good content.

If it's a clean break, it probably won't be on Alpha anymore then either, right? At least I won't have to pay for VRV anymore.

Hopefully the battle info carries over to the CR stream.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if their normal streams get any of the Alpha-specific images now.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder what ultimately caused the shift, if it was G&S pushing for the multiple subscriptions and walled garden of Alpha that was splitting content and viewers, or just outgrowing whatever contracts they previously had.

I do hope for the best for G&S. Their LA By Night is quite good, and I've heard nothing but great things of Relics & Rarities.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that you can watch it live on G&S if you have a sub but the VODS will all be limited to CR channels.

But you don't need to have a sub to watch anything live on Twitch?

The split, especially for C2, is pretty rough for playlists but I guess as long as it's updated then it'll be fine. I wonder if they'll continue Afterdark since it was primarily an Alpha obligation?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never watch it live, usually watch it the next day or on the weekend. Now I can't? At least until I can switch over my Prime Free sub?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I never watch it live, usually watch it the next day or on the weekend. Now I can't? At least until I can switch over my Prime Free sub?
You can watch the VOD right away if you change your sub to Critical Role's channel. They will also continue to upload the episodes on the following monday.

My Prime sub needs to be re-upped on Feb 23, so I need to watch live this week or wait until Monday, but after that I'll switch over my subscription and continue as normal.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder what ultimately caused the shift, if it was G&S pushing for the multiple subscriptions and walled garden of Alpha that was splitting content and viewers, or just outgrowing whatever contracts they previously had.

I do hope for the best for G&S. Their LA By Night is quite good, and I've heard nothing but great things of Relics & Rarities.

I'm sure it's similar to the McElroys drifting away from MaxFun. Nothing personal, but you know when your thing on a network is bringing in the big money and you don't get anything (or much) from the network in return. At this point, the CR fanbase doesn't depend on G&S advertising it, so there's nothing to lose by going on their own.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think they basically just wanted to own their IP completely.

Man, it depressed me a bit that Ashley said she is way behind on the campaign. I get that she's been busy, but how does she expect to come in and be present and able to vibe with the rest of the cast when she has no idea what's going on? No wonder she's quiet when she does show up.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

Man, it depressed me a bit that Ashley said she is way behind on the campaign. I get that she's been busy, but how does she expect to come in and be present and able to vibe with the rest of the cast when she has no idea what's going on? No wonder she's quiet when she does show up.
Foster is skulking around the studio constantly, so I'm sure he can catch her up whenever she's coming back for a long stint (or for good fingers crossed)

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Foster is skulking around the studio constantly, so I'm sure he can catch her up whenever she's coming back for a long stint (or for good fingers crossed)

I suppose, assuming we get a long stint from her again (last time wasn't very long). But this is Yasha's home turf now and we probably won't even get to see Ashley roleplay that.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at least this time she's just a barbarian and not a Cleric with extremely useful divine spells that could blow through encounters or situations. It's a bummer that they're in Xhorhas and will most likely gloss over her story.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they've kept her as a NPC that follows them around. I think it would have been better to just have her show up randomly like in the beginning.

All I ever picture is Yasha like the guy who's been NPCer in The Gamers who's character is in the background staring in a random direction.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's similar to the McElroys drifting away from MaxFun. Nothing personal, but you know when your thing on a network is bringing in the big money and you don't get anything (or much) from the network in return. At this point, the CR fanbase doesn't depend on G&S advertising it, so there's nothing to lose by going on their own.

Most likely they outgrew Geek & Sundry in general.

That's understandable. Looking forward to see the ideas they hinted at on Talks.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of hope CR leaving G&S doesn't hurt the channel too much. I kind of liked the comic show Taliesin is on, and the one where they play the Weave game is generally really fun in a chaotic and random kind of way. I guess now I will have to learn how to use Twitch prime.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Also, did y'all catch that bit where Liam said Caleb would "go back in time" if he learned the dunamancy magic? I knew it!

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Caleb's desire to go back in time is kind of fascinating to me. In a world where magic can raise the dead, it would make more sense for him to try and research either resurrection magic or even try and manipulate either of the clerics into being strong enough to revive his parents. The thing is, as far as I can tell, Caleb doesn't want to just bring his parents back to life. He wants to never have killed them in the first place, he wants to either live a life absolved of the guilt of killing them, or create a timeline where some version of him has that freedom. To me that's much more selfish, as he is potentially messing with time in unforeseen ways. Caleb might not always be one of my favorites of the group, but the prospect of him having to choose what reality he wants to live in is really exciting to me. i just hope he can keep himself alive long enough to get to that narrative moment.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand the split, it does make me worried about G&S. They have a lot of good people, lots of good stuff and they are pretty good on representation, lots of minorities and women on the channel (a lot of other nerdy things are like, 99% white and 80+% men). But for some reason nothing on their channel seems to really build up even 1/10th of the following of Critical Role even though really entertaining and nearly equally talented people are involved.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Caleb's desire to go back in time is kind of fascinating to me. In a world where magic can raise the dead, it would make more sense for him to try and research either resurrection magic or even try and manipulate either of the clerics into being strong enough to revive his parents. The thing is, as far as I can tell, Caleb doesn't want to just bring his parents back to life. He wants to never have killed them in the first place, he wants to either live a life absolved of the guilt of killing them, or create a timeline where some version of him has that freedom. To me that's much more selfish, as he is potentially messing with time in unforeseen ways. Caleb might not always be one of my favorites of the group, but the prospect of him having to choose what reality he wants to live in is really exciting to me. i just hope he can keep himself alive long enough to get to that narrative moment.

If they get back outside the Material Plane and deal with deities and places like Celestia again, Matt could really present Caleb with a difficult choice. I'm not sure how much straight up time travel he'll homebrew in as a learnable spell or through Wish, but if a god gave him the chance to live in a split timeline, would he take it?

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
While G&S is good, I've gotten the vibe from Wil Wheaton and co. that Legendary was less than pleasant to deal with, as I vaguely recall him talking about feeling burned by them with Tabletop and his departure from the network. Wonder if any of that behind the scenes type stuff could be related to why Crit Role is departing from them.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Talks was on last night right? I'm not seeing the VOD anywhere.

No idea what happened to the VOD. According to Critrole, it's supposed to be the last one on GnS and Alpha.

Quick Edit: Actually.. since it aired on Critical Role's twitch channel, there may be a bit of a mixup. It would take a manual upload to make it available on GnS' VODs, so that may take some time assuming they're aware of that.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
While G&S is good, I've gotten the vibe from Wil Wheaton and co. that Legendary was less than pleasant to deal with, as I vaguely recall him talking about feeling burned by them with Tabletop and his departure from the network. Wonder if any of that behind the scenes type stuff could be related to why Crit Role is departing from them.
I don't think I ever heard about anyone other than Wil getting dicked over by them though. But Wil got dicked over double both with Tabletop and then them not doing a 2nd season of Titansgrave when everyone involved wanted to do it.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I ever heard about anyone other than Wil getting dicked over by them though. But Wil got dicked over double both with Tabletop and then them not doing a 2nd season of Titansgrave when everyone involved wanted to do it.

Almost nobody else has had entire creative concepts run by GnS though. Every other show has been pitched internally by staff. Tabletop was Wil's concept pre-stream and Titansgrave his creative baby from front to back. The only reason Critical Role didn't get dicked over was because Matt and Co had the foresight to keep the rights when they signed on and Felcia Day was 100% fine with it. All signs point to Legendary wanting to shift Critical Role to Alpha exclusive upon its launch but couldn't because Matt and Co refused to allow them to pay gate the show.

If I'm not mistaken there is no one from the original GnS Twitch Production staff still working there (possible exception to Ivan Van Norman?). Everyone else is either post-Legendary acquisition hires or they were on-air talent that were put into staff roles eventually. So while it's not really possible to say for certain that Legendary is difficult to deal with, everyone that works with them currently has worked under those conditions the whole time. So they may be completely happy with Legendary but they also haven't had the experience of the creative freedom that was allowed under Felicia's ownership.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand the split, it does make me worried about G&S. They have a lot of good people, lots of good stuff and they are pretty good on representation, lots of minorities and women on the channel (a lot of other nerdy things are like, 99% white and 80+% men). But for some reason nothing on their channel seems to really build up even 1/10th of the following of Critical Role even though really entertaining and nearly equally talented people are involved.
It's kind of like asking why every show on tv isn't really popular. There are very talented people working on everything, but not everything clicks or finds a big audience.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I'm definitely switching my sub over to CR now away from G&S. I feel like there will be somewhat of an exodus as Matt and co move onto greener pastures.

No hate for sure - but i've tried watching that Vampire show and the one about the multi-colored prism floating islands and stuff and... I dig the enthusiasm for the worlds but the flow and style of these games are... not great. I couldn't finish the whole first episode of Vampires. Was falling asleep :-/

And i'm also in the camp that wishes Yasha was just... not around. It's so strange to have her there tagging along with just nothing to say. I appreciate that they wanna bring their friend with them but she's such an afterthought at this point its getting to be more of a jokey kind of character than an actual member of the group.
Travis puts on a funny voice - "yasha says I don't like bugbears"
they all laugh and move on.
That's all the development Yasha gets for 4 episodes. Kinda lame..

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really surprising that doing a serial, hours long, weekly improv show using a mechanics heavy board game dependent on world and character building is not something that everyone can just do. Pretty much every other actual play show I've seen feels very much like watching people play a tabletop game, whereas CR feels like a show. People underestimate what a group of trained actors who have built up a rapport as players over years does for Critical Role and its appeal. It's not something you can just duplicate. CR wasn't the first show like this, it rose to the top on the strength of the individual people that make it.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I would say that in addition to the CR cast being great actors who are good at improving (both comedically and dramatically), Matt's quite good at keeping the game running in a streamlined capacity. So that the mechanics of the game don't interfere too much in the flow. The closest to that on GnS currently is Callisto 6. The.. inaccessibility of other shows generally lies in the players being unable or unwilling to stay in the moment and/or the game's system being too clunky to be able to stay out of the flow. Overlight, for example, is way too clunky a system. Likewise, some systems are too rules lite and end up getting out of control narratively or result in everyone essentially narrating collectively rather than getting into character.

It's a very difficult thing to balance and be really entertaining. Especially live.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Matt is also really good at making long term decisions to improve the game as a show. Moving from Pathfinder to 5e for example, or always being present when the characters are rolled and made. He also is good at allowing cool shit to happen even when it interferes with the rules as written and to be present in the show as more than just a rules arbiter and storyteller. Matt feels like his own character, which you can see specially during the big boss fights and how the players are trying to get into his head and predict what he plans to do next.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
No idea what happened to the VOD. According to Critrole, it's supposed to be the last one on GnS and Alpha.

Quick Edit: Actually.. since it aired on Critical Role's twitch channel, there may be a bit of a mixup. It would take a manual upload to make it available on GnS' VODs, so that may take some time assuming they're aware of that.
I'm on CR's twitch and there is no Talks video in their recent broadcasts. Has anyone found it yet?