• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2019
Australia
All of the larger forces in this campaign seem grey at best, and I'd personally prefer the characters dig up reasons in game for not trusting people rather than players looking at meta archetypes, because that's lame.

I really don't think the cast have adapted well to everything being grey this campaign and is one of the reasons they seem incapable of committing to anything - why bother getting properly involved in a conflict where both sides are assholes.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I can't believe I forgot. Low-key favorite moment of the episode was the girl talk between Beau and Jester. Beau basically telling Jester she didn't need Fjord's approval had me applauding.

It's stuff like the scourgers being sent that annoys me when people frame it like the dynasty are nasty scheming evil people when they are fighting an equally aggressive force. Maybe it's just tripping my fantasy racism alarms when everyone's going to "they're being nice to us, but these evil darkies actually want to destroy our civilization and convert us to their backwards religion." mind frame. "The empire's stealing their shit and trying to exterminate them, but to be fair, they are fighting back, so, y'know..." The tropes that some are falling into in the party feel pretty icky, especially considering most of them don't have loyalty to the empire anyway
Fjord's thing is so weird. He's not from the Empire, so it's not like he's got a built in bias. But ever since they got to Xhorhas he's been super paranoid and assuming the worst. Beau I understand. She's been trained to question things and she's got an anti-authority streak in her (thank you Caduecus for calling her ass out). I don't get where it's coming from with Fjord. He wasn't like this in the Empire. Is Fjord just racist???

Looking forward to Beau's talking to. I have to imagine there are spies and neighbors that will catch a view of Dairon or hear Beau screaming IM A SPY, DAIRON at some point.
What's funny is Dairon would have been less conspicuous if she just walked up and knocked on the door.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I can't believe I forgot. Low-key favorite moment of the episode was the girl talk between Beau and Jester. Beau basically telling Jester she didn't need Fjord's approval had me applauding.

Fjord's thing is so weird. He's not from the Empire, so it's not like he's got a built in bias. But ever since they got to Xhorhas he's been super paranoid and assuming the worst. Beau I understand. She's been trained to question things and she's got an anti-authority streak in her (thank you Caduecus for calling her ass out). I don't get where it's coming from with Fjord. He wasn't like this in the Empire. Is Fjord just racist???

What's funny is Dairon would have been less conspicuous if she just walked up and knocked on the door.
Especially when Fjord bailed on his own bugbear accent halfway through his own little spycraft, lol

I don't think Travis means for it to be racism, but that's how it reads to me. The frustrating thing is that I know he won't commit either way. If he was just racist, that could be an interesting trait to have and interrogate. As of now, he's just got a vague, weird energy whenever it comes to the Dynasty

It's so true. I think Matt kind of realized it halfway through his description when he was like " *whoosh!*... she silently ninja flips over the railing, and then..."

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention this last night, but what's the deal with one of the Dynasty dens being called Dwendalos? Split lineage long ago between the king that established the empire and current Xhorhasians?

It would be weird if they just sounded similar for no reason.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot to mention this last night, but what's the deal with one of the Dynasty dens being called Dwendalos? Split lineage long ago between the king that established the empire and current Xhorhasians?

It would be weird if they just sounded similar for no reason.

Another similar thing that someone on Reddit pointed out was that Nicodranas with some imagination sounds a lot like "neo/new Ghor Dranas".

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Another similar thing that someone on Reddit pointed out was that Nicodranas with some imagination sounds a lot like "neo/new Ghor Dranas".
Interesting. Maybe there's some kind of undying oligarchy that's been ruling the empire and the coast all these years that just broke off from the Dyanasty dens, or vis versa. The Luxon is actually an entity from way back before the calamity pulling everyone's strings? We need more info, but these are intriguing coincidences.

It would be funny if it was just Matt having things that look different when spelled out, but sound similar when spoken again. Like when there were, I think, three people with very similar sounding names in the first town of the early episodes.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fjord is the most wishy washy character, it's like Travis was given a premade character and just told to run with it.

I can't decide if Fjord is worse than Yasha in the character department. Wishy Washy vs No personality

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Fjord is the most wishy washy character, it's like Travis was given a premade character and just told to run with it.

I can't decide if Fjord is worse than Yasha in the character department. Wishy Washy vs No personality
It feels like he's coming in fresh every week. Like when he's surprised by an established party member character trait or other piece of information like its brand new, or he doesn't take previous context into account for his arguments.

The fjorget joke didn't come from nowhere. Which is why it's funny whenever he throws things at Laura and Sam for talking and scolds them like they've missed important information. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw snack foods.

I'd probably prefer Yasha just because she's consistent and never outright mean. What was up with Fjord shit talking Yeza last episode?

May 9, 2019
Australia

Fjord is definitely worse because at the beginning I thought he was really going to be something interesting while Yasha never managed to intrigue me. Makes me nostalgic for the fan theories that he was a secret empire spy when I think back on the wasted potential.

He always undermines the character with really odd choices too, why is the warlock that raises the dead spirits of his fallen enemies to intimidate someone one episode suddenly completely frightened by ghosts in the next?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also it made sense for Fjord to summon a demon when he was give. Power by a GOO. I don't think the Wild mother would be so keen.

I'd have made him pick a new spell or 2 to be thematic

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Also it made sense for Fjord to summon a demon when he was give. Power by a GOO. I don't think the Wild mother would be so keen.

I'd have made him pick a new spell or 2 to be thematic
I wonder if Matt will just retract the wildmother offer if Fjord keeps using all his creepy magic. Doesn't seem like she'd be pleased to be the power source for summoning demons and ripping out and temporarily enslaving souls. But who knows, maybe she's feisty

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Thanks, glad it turned out as well as it did. The things I make on here don't always wind up matching how I plan them out...

No one in the game has magic that looks warlock-like, so I figured Geralt's signs would be close enough.
Jester or Yasha are going to be next. Probably sometime tonight when I get another chance to get online.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fjord is definitely worse because at the beginning I thought he was really going to be something interesting while Yasha never managed to intrigue me. Makes me nostalgic for the fan theories that he was a secret empire spy when I think back on the wasted potential.

He always undermines the character with really odd choices too, why is the warlock that raises the dead spirits of his fallen enemies to intimidate someone one episode suddenly completely frightened by ghosts in the next?

TBF, that isn't actually a Fjord character choice, that's just Travis not being able to handle scary stuff.

There's a reason the final, "hidden" kickstarter stretch goal was to have a camera on Travis as he goes through a haunted house.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
TBF, that isn't actually a Fjord character choice, that's just Travis not being able to handle scary stuff.

There's a reason the final, "hidden" kickstarter stretch goal was to have a camera on Travis as he goes through a haunted house.

I think that's part of the problem though; Fjord has been so inconsistent that it's hard to know where Travis ends and Fjord begins with the actions Fjord takes.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Liam has said that the out of game actions heavily influence how they act or react in-game, so it becomes hard to reason when the character acts so inconsistently if you take Travis' reactions as in-game thoughts and feelings. I don't really know where he stands anymore, granted they've been in a dungeon for the past few episodes but I don't see him pursuing anything with the Wildmother or Ukatoa unless heavily prompted.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Matt will just retract the wildmother offer if Fjord keeps using all his creepy magic. Doesn't seem like she'd be pleased to be the power source for summoning demons and ripping out and temporarily enslaving souls. But who knows, maybe she's feisty

This kind of feels like the DM overreaching though. Fjord is probably going to stay a warlock even if he becomes a servant of the Wildmother. Maybe he'll multiclass, but based on his stats he's better off taking the Eldritch Smite invocation over going Paladin. I don't think Matt should punish a player for taking certain spells. At most Matt should maybe reskin some of his abilities, to have a more general nature theme, or put an alignment check onto the soul ability, so it only raises the souls of the wicked, but just taking away a class ability and giving nothing in return just feels like it is punishing a player for their class choice.

Fjord has pretty much only ever summoned his demon to help his friends. He has used it as a tank to absorb punishment that would kill someone like Caleb. Maybe if he summoned one to kill innocents, or to terrorize a village, then the Wildmother would express displeasure, but essentially forcing a demon to kill itself to aid the forces of good, or at least chaotic good, seems reasonable.

I'll actually give Travis some credit. He's been trying to explore Fjord's interest in the Wildmother since the dream by the tree. He's spoken with Cad, which is kind of a big step for him. He's made little gestures to her, which for someone who has never communed with a god before, feels like a believable action. These are the first steps to changing his patron. He will probably be tempted or tormented by his snake god soon, and the Kiln will probably be where he has to make the definitive choice.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
A fitting change that would be significantly less disruptive to the character build side of things could just be changing Fjord from a Hexblade Warlock to a Divine Soul Warlock.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of feels like the DM overreaching though. Fjord is probably going to stay a warlock even if he becomes a servant of the Wildmother. Maybe he'll multiclass, but based on his stats he's better off taking the Eldritch Smite invocation over going Paladin. I don't think Matt should punish a player for taking certain spells. At most Matt should maybe reskin some of his abilities, to have a more general nature theme, or put an alignment check onto the soul ability, so it only raises the souls of the wicked, but just taking away a class ability and giving nothing in return just feels like it is punishing a player for their class choice.

Fjord has pretty much only ever summoned his demon to help his friends. He has used it as a tank to absorb punishment that would kill someone like Caleb. Maybe if he summoned one to kill innocents, or to terrorize a village, then the Wildmother would express displeasure, but essentially forcing a demon to kill itself to aid the forces of good, or at least chaotic good, seems reasonable.

I'll actually give Travis some credit. He's been trying to explore Fjord's interest in the Wildmother since the dream by the tree. He's spoken with Cad, which is kind of a big step for him. He's made little gestures to her, which for someone who has never communed with a god before, feels like a believable action. These are the first steps to changing his patron. He will probably be tempted or tormented by his snake god soon, and the Kiln will probably be where he has to make the definitive choice.
It's a tricky situation when the mechanics and the story/lore are bumping up against each other, so it should be interesting to see how Matt handles it.

I think the trip to the kiln will be when the wildmother presence fades and Uk'atoa will come back in to do whatever its gambit will be. Presumably the kiln will be another place of power for her that will keep Uk' at bay again, so if its going to threaten or tempt Fjord back, that's the time to do it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tricky situation when the mechanics and the story/lore are bumping up against each other, so it should be interesting to see how Matt handles it.

I think the trip to the kiln will be when the wildmother presence fades and Uk'atoa will come back in to do whatever its gambit will be. Presumably the kiln will be another place of power for her that will keep Uk' at bay again, so if its going to threaten or tempt Fjord back, that's the time to do it.

I am really curious if Uk'otoa is going to change its tactics the next time it contacts Fjord. It knows another power is interfering, and it could possibly lose it's hold on him. Maybe it will communicate more clearly, or try tempting him with Vandrin. If Vandrin is the third chosen, then it could even threaten to kill him if Fjord leaves the pact.

A fitting change that would be significantly less disruptive to the character build side of things could just be changing Fjord from a Hexblade Warlock to a Divine Soul Warlock.

This could be really interesting. I have wondered if converting to the Wilmother would constitute a patron change. If he does become something other than a Hexblade it would be pretty interesting. Divine soul would make some thematic sense.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I recently did something similar in my own game, but with a paladin. He was an oath of vengeance paladin, but when given the chance to, well, get his vengeance he instead forgave his enemy and let him go. So he essentially either fulfilled or cast aside his oath. He still wants to play the character and still wants to be a paladin, so he's going to take on a new oath. Probably oath of the crown. But right now we are in a tricky situation of well what powers does he have until he does so? Is he just a weird fighter now? I've opted to let him keep all his paladin spells and class features, outside of any spells or features he gets from an oath. Figured anything else would be unfun- he wanted to play a paladin, not a fighter. But I also felt there should be SOME consequences. It'll probably only be a session (MAYBE two) where he won't have his oath abilities.

But yeah, with that said, I think it would be cool for Fjord to have a subclass change and I'd be really interested in seeing how Mercer would handle that, role play and game play wise.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about the Traveler and I can't really figure out what the purpose behind the meet up is. There has to be a reason to gather all his followers together. I don't think it's anything super sinister, because I don't think Matt would do that to Laura.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I would imagine Matt may just forego the standard class definitions if Travis is looking to bail on his current class type. He has the creativity to custom class and adjust as he needs. Instead of summoning a demon it could an elemental/faeling/or something Wild Mother appropriate. Same with the other feats, hex could transform into something else, etc

What I've been interested to see is Travis holding off swallowing more magic weapons/swords, I thought he'd have been all over that no?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've been thinking about the Traveler and I can't really figure out what the purpose behind the meet up is. There has to be a reason to gather all his followers together. I don't think it's anything super sinister, because I don't think Matt would do that to Laura.
Same, I don't think he'd do it either. That said it feels sinister regardless. It might just end up being a burning Man festival though haha

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i don't know either. It needs to be something worthwhile after setting it up for the entire campaign both in game and out. If I made a dangerous journey all the way across the world to an arctic volcano for a burping contest, I'd probably lose faith in my god, no matter how carefree and whimsical I was.

If he's actually Artagon or another Archfey, it might be opening or keeping open a portal to the Feywild. Which is a bit sinister, and definitely destructive to the prime material plane over time, but isn't the same gut punch as having Jester ritualistically kill people to empower her dark trickster god or something. If it's more indirect, it's easier to brush off. However, it would have a nice parallel to all of the abyss anchors they've been dealing with this whole time too, so she and the group would have experience with invaders from another plane causing mayhem, which could give her pause.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
There's no need to change Travis subclass at all if he doesn't want to, it just had to be re flavored. The wildmother can be a hex blade patron through a Vestige sword that Matt seems to be heading them towards, or a more druid like weapon such as a staff, sickle, or scimitar. Recolor the spells with more nature looking effects but having the same properties. Travis never uses that raise spirit feature, it is 95% pointless feature at higher levels as it is a super minor nuisance in combat now and the party has much better options at scouting. It could be re flavored to summon a minor elemental or insects but again the combat capability is heading towards useless now as a challenge 1 creature with an average of 22 hp (40 max + 5 extra hp), so they might just ignore that feature as Travis certainly does. Summon Demon spell can easily be changed to CR 6 Summon Elemental, although I think they are all CR5 in the monster manual.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Traveler is a trickster god. So if the meet isnt some sort of greatest prank ever, ill be disappointed. What alignment is the traveler? Im assuming CN, and im doubting its anything deadly.

May 9, 2019
Australia
I am really curious if Uk'otoa is going to change its tactics the next time it contacts Fjord. It knows another power is interfering, and it could possibly lose it's hold on him. Maybe it will communicate more clearly, or try tempting him with Vandrin. If Vandrin is the third chosen, then it could even threaten to kill him if Fjord leaves the pact.

This could be really interesting. I have wondered if converting to the Wilmother would constitute a patron change. If he does become something other than a Hexblade it would be pretty interesting. Divine soul would make some thematic sense.

I would be disappointed if Fjord ended up going the Wildmother route just because I feel like his relationship with Ukotoa hasn't had a chance to actually develop. I hope Matt can make him compelling to Fjord beyond just the party thinking he's an evil underwater monster that will destroy the coastal cities if released.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Fjord had followed up on the Luxon, but I don't hate him following the Wildmother. At the very least Fjord is showing some agency. And it could be an interesting party dynamic with two people worshipping the same god.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, Fjord has raised people from the dead to force them into serving him. I doubt Caduceus would look fondly on that if he knew about it. The Wildmother is perhaps giving him a chance at redemption, but Fjord doesn't walk without shady motives or deeds.

Matt already had Jester kidnapped and was en route to be sold into slavery, likely of a sexual nature. So Matt is willing to put the party in uncomfortable places, though it's unknown if he would actually ever follow through with something that traumatic or just use it as a narrative threat. He did after all just turn Yasha against the whole party and try to kill them, and as far as I'm aware Ashley wasn't part of that decision for her character.

The Traveller is definitely a hard one to crack though. There's a real creepy aspect in that he's been visiting Jester since her childhood, in effect grooming her. Whether or not he's outright evil, he's certainly skeevy.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I've been interested to see is Travis holding off swallowing more magic weapons/swords, I thought he'd have been all over that no?
Didn't he stop doing that because he attuned to Summer's Dance (Molly's sword), and if he attunes to another one he'd lose it, which in honour of Molly he doesn't want to.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Fjord had followed up on the Luxon, but I don't hate him following the Wildmother. At the very least Fjord is showing some agency. And it could be an interesting party dynamic with two people worshipping the same god.

I think having two followers of the Wildmother could be interesting, especially because it is likely that Fjord's faith will be very different then Cad's. It honestly feels like Cad has too much faith in his god, and that could send him into some kind of existential crisis at some point if she ever truly rejects his belief. Fjord in contrast is someone that seems to have almost no faith. He has seen her power, and has a respect for it, but I think his journey will be one of self acceptance. His faith more in his worthiness to be accepted by the Wildmother, than faith in her power or omnipotence.

As for the Traveler, I think his meeting is going to be an announcement of some challenge for his followers. If he is truly an Archfey, then it is likely that the bulk of his motives is entertainment. Gathering a bunch of followers only to pit them against each other in a contest to spread his notoriety, would feel on brand for an Archfey.

He's keeping Summer's Dance cause he likes the Misty Step it gives him. Anything else he says is a lie.
I think it is both. Fjord is a pretty sentimental guy surprisingly. Don't forget that he is still copying his mentor's voice. I can Fjord having a sentimental attachment to the sword, while also Travis enjoying the free use of Misty Step.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Fjord having done objectionable shit is hardly a blocker to gettin in with the wildmother anyway.
someone turning to faith in search of some kind of redemption is a very common character arc.
Hell one of the paladin oaths is directly about that kind if thing.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, I said that the Wildmother is probably giving him a chance at redemption.

I hope he doesn't end up with her though. It just feels like he's taking the path of least resistance. Travis didn't seem overly enthused about it anyway, he just wants an easy out that will let him continue to have powers. The whole thing from start to finish feels a bit unearned.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, I said that the Wildmother is probably giving him a chance at redemption.

I hope he doesn't end up with her though. It just feels like he's taking the path of least resistance. Travis didn't seem overly enthused about it anyway, he just wants an easy out that will let him continue to have powers. The whole thing from start to finish feels a bit unearned.

I get that perspective. Outside of a very very loose inquiry after the first "Punishment" dream back in the city of beasts, Fjord didn't really show much interest in the Wildmother. I do appreciate what we're getting now, but the path there has felt a little arbitrary. For my part, my frustration is partially aimed at Matt. Reducing Uk'otoa's pact to just free me or lose your powers feels too much like punishment for class choice. Is it any wonder a player would take the path of least resistance when the other option is to be rendered useless or unplayable? There is a solid chance Fjord trying to earn the Wildmother's protection could lead to some interesting character beats, and I think Travis has put more effort into the RP since the tree dream. While the whole thing might have started as a "any port in a storm situation", it could grow into an interesting dynamic and examination of faith and redemption. Especially if after he changes patrons he still has to protect the sword of fathoms from finding a new host, and keeping the key away from any other warlocks.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I get that perspective. Outside of a very very loose inquiry after the first "Punishment" dream back in the city of beasts, Fjord didn't really show much interest in the Wildmother. I do appreciate what we're getting now, but the path there has felt a little arbitrary. For my part, my frustration is partially aimed at Matt. Reducing Uk'otoa's pact to just free me or lose your powers feels too much like punishment for class choice. Is it any wonder a player would take the path of least resistance when the other option is to be rendered useless or unplayable? There is a solid chance Fjord trying to earn the Wildmother's protection could lead to some interesting character beats, and I think Travis has put more effort into the RP since the tree dream. While the whole thing might have started as a "any port in a storm situation", it could grow into an interesting dynamic and examination of faith and redemption. Especially if after he changes patrons he still has to protect the sword of fathoms from finding a new host, and keeping the key away from any other warlocks.

I could see a compelling path forward with Fjord going with the wild mother, but on the direct condition that Fjord still has to clean up his own mess as it were, undoing what he has already done toward unleashing Ukatoa and preventing whoever else is out there from seeing it through.

Right now it seems like Fjord is looking to the WM as just a way to hide from Uka, so making him continue to adress that whole plotline while giving a proper alternative than just hiding and losing his powers seems like it would work pretty darn well.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I could see a compelling path forward with Fjord going with the wild mother, but on the direct condition that Fjord still has to clean up his own mess as it were, undoing what he has already done toward unleashing Ukatoa and preventing whoever else is out there from seeing it through.
It'd be a good compromise from a narrative perspective. This sort of thing seems like the best way forward. Doesn't directly take control out of Travis' hands if he really wants to stay the course he was going, but still pushes him toward a more workable path. The best thing a DM can usually do in situations like that is keep a few different options open, and I'm sure Matt has an idea for how to make this all work into the narrative... probably...

Also, unrelated, but I just got done making a couple more characters:

Caleb's diamond changes color randomly as different moves are preformed.

And Yasha's biceps are made out of a pair of elongated spheres because there is no good sleeveless torso option that fits with her wardrobe...

Working on Beau and Jester sometime later in the week.

May 9, 2019
Australia
I get that perspective. Outside of a very very loose inquiry after the first "Punishment" dream back in the city of beasts, Fjord didn't really show much interest in the Wildmother. I do appreciate what we're getting now, but the path there has felt a little arbitrary. For my part, my frustration is partially aimed at Matt. Reducing Uk'otoa's pact to just free me or lose your powers feels too much like punishment for class choice. Is it any wonder a player would take the path of least resistance when the other option is to be rendered useless or unplayable?

Same. I really expected something more from Matt with Uk'otoa than generic underwater monster that immediately punishes their followers for veering away and questioning their monosyllabic orders.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still disappointed that Uk'atoa took Fjord's powers away for like 2 hours.

If he'd done it for one session with some combat and really showed how reliant he is on those powers to survive the shit the M9 gets up to, I think it would have been much more effective. Then the Wildmother showing up would have felt even more like a life raft in the middle of the desert.

It's not like this is a home game meeting once every month or two. This is a professional, role play heavy game that plays 3-4 hours every week, can't we drop the "oh but that might not be fun for the player for one session" reasoning? It really limits what Matt can do with the narrative and makes it feel extra game-y when repercussions are always weighed with how much fun they would be. it probably wasn't much fun for Ashley when she betrayed the party and went to the dark side for the majority of a session, but it was good for the story.

I guess there's still a chance Uk'otoa goes for the stick rather than the carrot when he contacts Fjord again.