Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why not True Polymorph?
I don't think you can use True Polymorph to change races.. or at the very least the GM Community and the rules are split 50/50 on the matter. I will say though that the one thing working in its favour is that its a 9th level spell and if it doesn't work, the player can just cast Wish the next day and force it to work reguardless. So there isn't much point in actually fighting it.

Edit: Also, as Brashnir said. It can be dispelled. So really, the better option is casting the Reincarnation spell through Wish so that it could be specifically directed to be a Halfling.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
You would need to cast dispel at 9th level. By that point, Nott/Veth can just retire to a life with her family. How many level 20 wizards will she run into while living a life as a normal person?
Or roll well. 17th+ level characters run into things that can dispel pretty regularly. It could even happen by accident trying to dispel something else.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You would need to cast dispel at 9th level. By that point, Nott/Veth can just retire to a life with her family. How many level 20 wizards will she run into while living a life as a normal person?
Not exactly. You can dispell it at a lower level if you get lucky with your roll. There would be a risk of instant dispel and death every time she came into contact with an item or area that dispells magic.

Masoyama

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly. You can dispell it at a lower level if you get lucky with your roll. There would be a risk of instant dispel and death every time she came into contact with an item or area that dispells magic.
Sure, I understand. However, its the endgame for Veth. True Polymorph, make it permanent and then retire. No risk of getting dispelled while raising a kid and doing whatever she wants to do.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
IMO Matt was being too agreeable in Yezza and Luke's reactions to Nott leaving. A guy who just got reunited with his family being okay with Veth going off to fight in wars and dangerous monsters for some unknown period of time? I just don't see it going down that way. I don't know, there was just a lack of emotion in that scene.

Oh god, they're using her real name, why would they use her real name? This is spycraft 101.
Yeah I thought the same. Is Dairon even a name that would check out as normal for a Drow? They screwed up there.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Matt was being too agreeable in Yezza and Luke's reactions to Nott leaving. A guy who just got reunited with his family being okay with Veth going off to fight in wars and dangerous monsters for some unknown period of time? I just don't see it going down that way. I don't know, there was just a lack of emotion in that scene.

Yeah I thought the same. Is Dairon even a name that would check out as normal for a Drow? They screwed up there.
I appreciate that Matt was trying to make it easy for Sam to keep Nott as part of the group, but I thought he did it in kind of a weird way. I figured it would be more of a financial decision. Yezza can't work as an alchemist anymore without running the risk of the Empire finding out he's still alive and seizing him to work on their experiments again. As it is, the whole situation worked itself out a little easily.

Dairon in the Dynasty is an interesting plot hook. It could come back to bite them in the ass, or could provide useful information. I hope the M9 do eventually return to the empire to root out some demon spies, that sounds like a really fun story idea.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Some of these conversations were super necessary and obvious but still managed to be a little stiff and awkward.

Beau and Dairon was just like...so strange. Neither one being decisive or clear about anything. Beau being all freaked out and timid in her tone but totally wish washy in her decisions. Yeza and Nott were sweet but that felt more like matt and co wanting to be done for the night.
"Does your character need to be told to leave for this to make sense?"
"Yup."
"Ok leave. Also I love you!"

But maybe it's just cause they are right up against some wild shit and I'm super impatient lol

Also beau is the worst spy ever.
"It would be bad for the empire. Which is us. We are the empire. Spies like us....from the empire."