• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it. I JUST got home. Looks like I missed out on a lot. Probably just gonna catch the replay instead of joining in now. Seems like a cool ep from everyone's reactions here, though!

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It took him 72 episodes but Fjord is finally truly picking a side. I can't believe he is being totally honest with the group.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't have anything to give you other than drugs."

Very on brand for Beau in this heart-warming moment, lol

Edit: lmao, Sam making the Yee-haw Game Ranch reference.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
NE5asRL.png

OOF

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well done, Travis. Well done. He took it to the edge; I thought Matt was going to make him roll for blacking out from blood loss and falling into the lava.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Matt didn't end up speaking with Fjord during the whole intimidation scene. Was he just asking for a roll or would something have actually happened if he got 25+ or something?

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Really respect Fjord finally taking a stand and making demands. That's exactly what I've been wanting from him for months. Really awesome sequence and character development.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Happy to see that Fjord is doing something. As someone new to this I skipped a large amount of episodes to get to the latest ones. Sure, I've got to put things together from context but Fjord never seemed like he had much new going on.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Yoooooooo!

0 to 160 in no time flat there travis! From passive observer to "Fuck you entirely!" In one episode. And now he's a half orc james bond with all the gadgets!

Crazy episode. Good on travis

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS soon as you think its a Cad episode Fjord drop kicks his way in, holy hell what a power move by Travis, his real accent too! And the end when everyone was giving their things...my heart.

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a really great episode!

Poor Dwarven Forge though, no combat in 3 episodes. And the Kiln is literally a "dwarven forge" lol

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Anyone else get the feeling that Vandrin's wording of 'Fjord would like it here' was supposed to be a coded message and he isn't actually living a quiet life?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Aww, our sweet standoffish texblade has finally become a proper bloke. Good on him for striking while the wildmother's iron was hot, because if he was going to do it, her kiln was the place to do it. The group all immediately handing over their magic items was such a nice little moment. I wonder if he's getting the reforged Star Razor (Raiser? (Razer?)) or something else. And did Uk'otoa leave a crystal inside of Fjord as a beacon for its next chosen one to track Fjord down and kill him?

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode. I think last week's criticism lit a fire under Travis.

Anyone else get the feeling that Vandrin's wording of 'Fjord would like it here' was supposed to be a coded message and he isn't actually living a quiet life?
Nah. It's entirely possible that Vandrin is up to some shit, but I don't think the message was anything.

I also think that message was key to Fjord tossing the sword away. You could hear it the next morning when he was telling the group about it.

"Jester sent a message for me last night. Vandrin seems to be just fine, not looking for me... or searching out anything on his own. He seems to be at peace... That is not how I felt."

I think Fjord is hurt because the person he felt he had a connection with seems to be living life out in a peaceful retirement while he (Fjord) has been going through all kinds of nightmares trying to find his mentor. His link to Ukatoa was a link to Vandrin. I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back and he just said fuck it.

Also poor Beau. Here Fjord is acting all shook up because he's just a normal guy now, when it's something she's been dealing with the entire time with the group.

Lastly, Matt finally gave them a reason to go back to Whitestone. Let's goooooooooooooo

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Vandren in here like
3bHY.gif

Also poor Beau. Here Fjord is acting all shook up because he's just a normal guy now, when it's something she's been dealing with the entire time with the group.
That always makes me laugh whenever she tries to imply she's not special because she doesn't cast capital M magic spells. Beau is like the strongest person in the group, she's part of a secret order of spymaster monks who can run and jump at superhuman speeds and distances, punch ghosts, mystically extract information about people or make them tell the truth by hitting them, run up vertical surfaces, and catch arrows out of mid air. She didn't have the pyrotechnics, but recently got gloves that let her shoot lightning bolts out of her hands. Also, PARKOUR!

The girl ain't normal.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I completely agree that it was Vandarin that really broke the camels back. After the accident, Fjord dedicated his entire life to living up to Vandarin's memory. He became the man he so ideolized, spent al lhis of his time thinking about him and trying to find him to see if he was okay. And then when he finds out that not only was he safe and sound but that he was retired and hadn't even been thinking about Fjord untli he called; Fjords entire world just came crashing down.

Here he was, doing everything he did in order to have a chance of seeing his idol again. And yet to his idol, it was just another Tuesday. I think in that situation, anybody would have taken a step back and truly questioned what it was they were doing. And it's exciting because now Fjord took the turn and is going to try living for himself, instead of for his idol.

Needless to say. This is exactly what Travis needed to do to breathe some new life into his character

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Vandren in here like
3bHY.gif

That always makes me laugh whenever she tries to imply she's not special because she doesn't cast capital M magic spells. Beau is like the strongest person in the group, she's part of a secret order of spymaster monks who can run and jump at superhuman speeds and distances, punch ghosts, mystically extract information about people or make them tell the truth by hitting them, run up vertical surfaces, and catch arrows out of mid air. She didn't have the pyrotechnics, but recently got gloves that let her shoot lightning bolts out of her hands. Also, PARKOUR!

The girl ain't normal.
Well yeah, logically we can say that Beau is incredibly talented capable of feats the rest of the group can't. But she's in a group where half the group has conversations with gods on the regular. Combine that with her feelings of abandonment from her parents and you got yourself a stew of self esteem issues. And now you have Fjord being like "I'm worthless without my abilities" and how's Beau supposed to take that? Not well.

Almost forgot, Marisha coining "Wildlock" is some top tier shit. *chef's kiss*

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Fjord didn't even get the courtesy of an "Oh my god! I thought you had died" reaction.

It's going to be weird getting used to a new accent at this point, both for the party and the viewers. Can you imagine if one of your friends suddenly started speaking completely differently one day and was like "Oh I've been doing a voice this whole time"?
Well yeah, logically we can say that Beau is incredibly talented capable of feats the rest of the group can't. But she's in a group where half the group has conversations with gods on the regular. Combine that with her feelings of abandonment from her parents and you got yourself a stew of self esteem issues. And now you have Fjord being like "I'm worthless without my abilities" and how's Beau supposed to take that? Not well.
You're right self doubt doesn't have to make sense logically, but Fjord is literally just a sailor with no fighting ability at this point.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that message was key to Fjord tossing the sword away. You could hear it the next morning when he was telling the group about it.

"Jester sent a message for me last night. Vandrin seems to be just fine, not looking for me... or searching out anything on his own. He seems to be at peace... That is not how I felt."

I think Fjord is hurt because the person he felt he had a connection with seems to be living life out in a peaceful retirement while he (Fjord) has been going through all kinds of nightmares trying to find his mentor. His link to Ukatoa was a link to Vandrin. I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back and he just said fuck it.

Yeah, that's a good read of the situation. I wish he had kept Vandrin's accent though, because the English accent doesn't really fit...it sounds way too high class for a guy who's mostly worked as a sailor.

I doubt Fjord is really free of Ukatoa yet though. It'll get worse before it gets better. Maybe he'll have to go to that third temple to really free himself of Ukatoa's control.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The funny thing about Matt trying to push them towards Whitestone is that because of Vox Machina and the whole Chroma Conclave ark, the whole continent really is unlike anything else in the world of Exandria. Like, politically the towns and cities are democracies or councilships, Economically and technologically they are powerhouses, militarily they have some of the strongest adventurers in the world.

Think about it. The empire mobilized the Gnomes to build arial bombers, Emon had that shit from day one. It's very interesting the parallel and really makes me wish that Matt went more into the power dynamics of various empires in the world. I could listen to that for days on end.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Really good to see some substantial character progression for Travis/Fjord as this new sequence starts

Can't help feel Travis and Laura had a huddle at home to come up with a game plan of how to set the ball rolling, but they couldn't have predicted how it was going to turn out. Props to Travis for playing that out, talk about commitment

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing about Matt trying to push them towards Whitestone is that because of Vox Machina and the whole Chroma Conclave ark, the whole continent really is unlike anything else in the world of Exandria. Like, politically the towns and cities are democracies or councilships, Economically and technologically they are powerhouses, militarily they have some of the strongest adventurers in the world.

Think about it. The empire mobilized the Gnomes to build arial bombers, Emon had that shit from day one. It's very interesting the parallel and really makes me wish that Matt went more into the power dynamics of various empires in the world. I could listen to that for days on end.
With how much damage the Conclave did, I wouldn't be surprised if most of Tal'Dorei is still rebuilding.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Really good to see some substantial character progression for Travis/Fjord as this new sequence starts

Can't help feel Travis and Laura had a huddle at home to come up with a game plan of how to set the ball rolling, but they couldn't have predicted how it was going to turn out. Props to Travis for playing that out, talk about commitment
Laura kept shooting Travis glances when they were having that skype call in last week, and then he tweeted out an apology afterwards. They definitely had a huddle.

Whatever the specifics, I'm glad he felt spurred into action.