• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
critical-role-gif-6.gif
I hope there will be an animal companion for the next campaign. Matt was so good while playing Trinket.

And I agree with you. It's great to offer a podcast option, but people will miss so much reactions from players.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the episode 106:
Scanlan is working hard for Ioun's favor with all those improvised songs, holy fuck.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there will be an animal companion for the next campaign. Matt was so good while playing Trinket.

And I agree with you. It's great to offer a podcast option, but people will miss so much reactions from players.
On a recent episode of Talks Machina, Liam and Sam said since Liam picked out Scanlan's race and class for the first campaign, he's going to create Sam's character again for the next one. Sam doesn't know what he's playing yet, and it sounded like he might not know until they start.

My gut tells me he picks a Beastmaster Ranger with a big pet for him, since he gave Laura so much shit.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted them to play actual VtM. This 2 parter seems to again just then trying to cram D&D into a different story.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't wait to see what the new storyline/group is. I've been rewatching some of my favourite scenes while the break is on.

For the people working through the backlog, advice someone gave me is to set the watch speed to 1.25x. It's not noticeable when you're watching and can make a big difference if you're watching a few episodes in a row.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the new characters. Especially the reactions. It's gonna be "oh my god these guys suck bring back the old cast."

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the new characters. Especially the reactions. It's gonna be "oh my god these guys suck bring back the old cast."
Nah, I'm sure it will be fine. I think most people are really there for the actors, not their characters.

VM is done, bring in the new batch. I can't wait to see them play through the first 10 levels, where things are harder and the stakes for messing up or dying are way higher. "We can just resurrect y- oh wait..."

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of resurrection

What do you all think of Matt's resurrection ritual rules? I think they add a lot to the game –as opposed to the "you cast the spell and it works" from the vanilla rules– but I honestly think the failure for assisting the ritual could raise the DC more. Or successes could decrease it less. I think the DC starts at 10, three people can attempt to assist the ritual, failures increase the DC by 1 but successes lower the DC by 3. Also every time a character dies the starting DC goes up by 1 the next time they need to be ressurected.

I guess it's just the way the dice fell and it could have gone the other way at any time, but after the first couple of party member deaths, I never actually feared that they wouldn't be revived. Some of the resurrections actually felt like busywork, and the cast's strong reactions and crying wouldn't connect with me. There were still some great moments like "FIX HIM!", but they weren't hitting as hard as they could have. It's hard to say what they should do, but I think the system could be tweaked a bit more.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I really wanted them to play actual VtM. This 2 parter seems to again just then trying to cram D&D into a different story.

That would indeed have been great, but frankly this group is not exactly what I would call "rules savvy", I'm pretty sure they'd be more bogged down in trying to figure out what to do with only two sessions to play around with.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of resurrection

What do you all think of Matt's resurrection ritual rules? I think they add a lot to the game –as opposed to the "you cast the spell and it works" from the vanilla rules– but I honestly think the failure for assisting the ritual could raise the DC more. Or successes could decrease it less. I think the DC starts at 10, three people can attempt to assist the ritual, failures increase the DC by 1 but successes lower the DC by 3. Also every time a character dies the starting DC goes up by 1 the next time they need to be ressurected.
I think a new campaign will be a better way to judge the rules. We really didn't see the possible effects of the permanent +1 DC increases stacking up since he didn't formalize his rules until the were already well into the teens.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
So I was interested in this, but then I see that each episode is 3+ hours?!?! And there are 115 of them? Are all of you in this thread inmates of the same asylum, doing nothing all day but listening to this show? Seriously, how do you find the time?

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point I would suggest just starting with the second campaign in early January.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think a new campaign will be a better way to judge the rules. We really didn't see the possible effects of the permanent +1 DC increases stacking up since he didn't formalize his rules until the were already well into the teens.
That's a good point.

I'm just excited in general to see a new party from the very beginning first hand. VM already had so much history before the show even started.
So I was interested in this, but then I see that each episode is 3+ hours?!?! And there are 115 of them? Are all of you in this thread inmates of the same asylum, doing nothing all day but listening to this show? Seriously, how do you find the time?
Do you have podcast listening time throughout the week? Can you have videos playing in the background while at work?

Each episode is also broken up into two halves, so it's easy to split up a viewing over a few days.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Some of us had the good fortune to have started watching very early on. At that point, it was just watching the stream every Thursday or the Youtube upload of it the following week. Others found it later but still relatively early on. It was a great experience and the story of the party is really great but trying to watch it now is definitely a massive task. Could just check out the various 1-shots each week going forward and/or jump in during the new campaign when it kicks off early next year.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

I found the show when it was...probably 3-5 or so episodes in so I mean one episode a week is not too bad.

Honestly at this point I would suggest just starting with the second campaign in early January.

I mean...its gonna set in the same world and only 2 generations or so after but for some of the races thats not a long time and most likely there will be references or characters brought up, might miss out on the finer details.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...its gonna set in the same world and only 2 generations or so after but for some of the races thats not a long time and most likely there will be references or characters brought up, might miss out on the finer details.
I do hope it's a pretty clean break from the VM campaign. I think Matt said it would be set on a different continent?

I'm sure there will be the occasional references due to world events, but I think it would be smart to keep the new characters out of the shadow of the old ones.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope it's a pretty clean break from the VM campaign. I think Matt said it would be set on a different continent?

I'm sure there will be the occasional references due to world events, but I think it would be smart to keep the new characters out of the shadow of the old ones.

Believe Matt said it would start at Wildemount? Big place but It would seem hard to simply contain the whole story just in Wildemount unless massively expanded on.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be a new continent. I don't believe it will be two entire generations later (iirc it's only 20 years after), but since they'll be starting at low levels it should be a good long time before the new group would be taking on anything at a level that would make them cross paths with any surviving members of VM or be dealing with anything that VM would be relevant to.

Honestly I'm not even sure they'd survive long enough. After playing for so long at higher levels (it's been 5 years since they started the previous campaign) they may have forgotten how lethal combat is early on.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
If I remember well what he said during a Talks Machina it'll be in a new continent. And yeah for low level characters, I don't think they will leave the continent. If 2 or 3 human generations have passed, they may have heard about Vm legend but not too detailed.

Honestly I'm not even sure they'd survive long enough. After playing for so long at higher levels (it's been 5 years since they started the previous campaign) they may have forgotten how lethal combat is early on.
I hope they have back-up characters, cause yeah they might have a rought time at the begining.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm a big fan of The Adventure Zone & Cthlhu and Friends, so I'm interested in checking this out.

Good to hear that first campaign is wrapped up, sounds like a good time to jump in.

commutes

Last edited:

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Can't wait for next season. Watching this is what made me want to play DnD again after so many years.

Which reminds me... do we have a DnD thread? If not, we should!

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I started to watch the show in june this year on youtube. So there were like 95 episodes released at this time. I tried to watch one episode every two days. With the break it's easy to see half of an episode per day. And I binged few week-ends when I didn't have anything planned. I catched up in october just for the final fight.
I understand that not everyone have the time to watch that much episodes in few months. But now that this campaign is finished, there is no urgency. Just watch a part from time to time and enjoy.

With the new campaign next year you will have a good way to start watching the show. Characters will be low level so they will not have a lot of knowledge of the world. It'll be a discovery for them and for new spectators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I was thinking. They've had access to powerful spells and abilities for so long, it should be interesting to see them readjust. I'm actually more excited to watch low level (1-10) play than I am the high level stuff, especially now the the players have much more experience under their belts.
I stopped around Ep 25 and have been meaning to get back into it for ages.
Around episode 28 or 29 is when the show goes into a completely different level for me. Stick with it!

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I saw that yesterday. A really really great Joker.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Hah, I feel lucky that I only had to watch roughly 50 episodes to catch up. That took about a month, and sometimes I would treat it like a podcast by having it play while driving or doing other activities. Watching 115 episodes sounds daunting sure, but its the complete series. No different than getting into Lost after the fact. No rush to "catch up" because... well, its over.

After catching up to episode 50, making time for 4 hours once a week was pretty easy. I've been doing that since 2004 when WoW came out lol.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Speaking of resurrection

I guess it's just the way the dice fell and it could have gone the other way at any time, but after the first couple of party member deaths, I never actually feared that they wouldn't be revived. Some of the resurrections actually felt like busywork, and the cast's strong reactions and crying wouldn't connect with me. There were still some great moments like "FIX HIM!", but they weren't hitting as hard as they could have. It's hard to say what they should do, but I think the system could be tweaked a bit more.

Interesting. I'm still very early in the campaign, and have only seen characters go unconscious a few times, just curious, were there ever actually any lasting deaths requiring a character re-roll? Don't want details, just a simple yes or no.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I'm still very early in the campaign, and have only seen characters go unconscious a few times, just curious, were there ever actually any lasting deaths requiring a character re-roll? Don't want details, just a simple yes or no.

No

One player does end up playing as another character.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm only on episode 100, I really need to catch up. Does that^picture mean Travis is gonna DM soon? Interesting!